Author Topic: Leaf or Focus Electric?  (Read 22625 times)

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1164
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: Leaf or Focus Electric?
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2017, 01:20:43 pm »
Sigh.....just got an email from my dealer

"Ron,

Unfortunately we won't be able to sell you the Focus EV. Since we've never sold one, our staff and service technicians would need to be trained and certified before Ford will allow us to sell the vehicle. Sorry."

So...it's been a couple weeks (or close) since I got the ball rolling on this. And the hoops and BS have nearly killed my interest. And I'm no further in the process than I was two weeks ago. It's no wonder few people go this route (apart from mileage and charging limitations).

IMO, you have to really, REALLY want an EV.

Yes, no question about that. It's really a challenge to buy an EV except from a handfull of dealers who are enthusiastics about EV's.

What about leasing it from the dealer with the ad?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2017, 01:22:17 pm »

"Ron,

Unfortunately we won't be able to sell you the Focus EV. Since we've never sold one, our staff and service technicians would need to be trained and certified before Ford will allow us to sell the vehicle. Sorry."

So...it's been a couple weeks (or close) since I got the ball rolling on this. And the hoops and BS have nearly killed my interest. And I'm no further in the process than I was two weeks ago. It's no wonder few people go this route (apart from mileage and charging limitations).

Yes, no question about that. It's really a challenge to buy an EV except from a handfull of dealers who are enthusiastics about EV's.

What about leasing it from the dealer with the ad?
In Toronto? Again...PITA. Not to mention how long it would take me to get home.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2017, 01:42:09 pm »
How many km from there to your place? Within 200km can be done on one charge.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2017, 02:15:27 pm »
I have my doubts 200km range doable real world hwy?

400km door step to door step.

EDIT: Inside EVs says hwy range is 100 miles. Or 160kms or so.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:21:15 pm by rrocket »

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2017, 02:21:04 pm »

"Ron,

On the positive side, electrical number 2 is very knowledgeable and even enthusiastic. He carries Siemens and Leviton chargers.

Couldn't they have told you that right at the beginning?

Do they think that they will only sell one electric car ever? It sure doesn't seem to me like electric cars are going to go away anytime soon so might as well jump on board and get up to speed. Pretty short sighted by the dealer in my opinion.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2017, 02:24:51 pm »

"Ron,

On the positive side, electrical number 2 is very knowledgeable and even enthusiastic. He carries Siemens and Leviton chargers.

Do they think that they will only sell one electric car ever? It sure doesn't seem to me like electric cars are going to go away anytime soon so might as well jump on board and get up to speed. Pretty short sighted by the dealer in my opinion.
They've never sold an EV..ever. Not a single one. I was the first customer to even ask.

I guess I understand...Since the training probably isn't free. And I'd imagine they need special service equipment and the installing of a fast charger too to become certified for EV sales.

Plus they likely make very little in these.

Just doesn't make financial sense I guess.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2017, 02:31:31 pm »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2017, 02:41:21 pm »

Some guys in Quebec got 185 km out of his.

http://menu-principal-forums-aveq.1097349.n5.nabble.com/Ma-nouvelle-Ford-Focus-Electrique-2017-tp63553p64342.html

At 100 KPH, 160 km range is probably right.

I also know of guys in remote areas of Quebec who managed to have the cars flatbed delivered to their house. An option maybe?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2017, 03:03:23 pm »

Some guys in Quebec got 185 km out of his.

http://menu-principal-forums-aveq.1097349.n5.nabble.com/Ma-nouvelle-Ford-Focus-Electrique-2017-tp63553p64342.html

At 100 KPH, 160 km range is probably right.

I also know of guys in remote areas of Quebec who managed to have the cars flatbed delivered to their house. An option maybe?
Adding expense.....And more BS

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2017, 03:05:48 pm »
You said it yourself...

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2017, 03:50:17 pm »

"Ron,

They've never sold an EV..ever. Not a single one. I was the first customer to even ask.

I guess I understand...Since the training probably isn't free. And I'd imagine they need special service equipment and the installing of a fast charger too to become certified for EV sales.

I suppose, but then they should've just told you right away that they weren't interested in selling you an EV. Saved everyone some time.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2017, 03:53:02 pm »
Ford dealers will sell you a fusion energi if you walk in and ask about the focus.  They aren't interested in selling the focus.  It's basically a compliance car.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2017, 03:58:35 pm »

"Ron,

I suppose, but then they should've just told you right away that they weren't interested in selling you an EV. Saved everyone some time.

Perhaps some of that was my fault.  I gave him my X-plan number and he wanted to call his area rep guy (not sure what you call them) to see how/if that would be applied and how to calculate the provincial rebate paperwork.

After that call, that's when he found out.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2017, 10:17:46 pm »
That sucks, Ron.  :(
No wonder Tesla wants to avoid dealers like plague. I though they were exaggerating things in their own favour, but this example clearly shows how messed up it is.

I suppose Toyota will have everything certified for their Prime.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:19:26 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2017, 10:32:01 pm »
Enthusiastic electrician carries this model Siemens  http://w3.usa.siemens.com/us/internet-dms/btlv/residential/residential/docs_Home/SIE_IM_VersiCharge.pdf

Looks to me to be a good candidate for your future FFE  ;D

Few features from linked manual:
"... connector holster on the front of the VersiCharge.
Delay timer setting with a simple push button press 1 (2hr), 2(4hr), 3(6hr), 4(8hr), 5(deactivate)

"The Siemens VersiCharge has the option to set the maximum amperage/power that can be delievered to the car using the Amperage adjustment switch. Note that Versicharge cannot control the power draw to the EV, it can only communicate the current capacity of the device to the EV.
Note: The EV controls the power draw. the VersiCharge only communicates the maximum available power to EV."
Current (A) setting: 6, 7.5, 15, 22.5,30

"VersiCharge EV charging stations can draw up to 30A at 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz (7.2kW of power)."
"A 2-pole, 40 A dedicated branch breaker is required for both cord-and-plug installation and hard wired installations."
"Wire a standard NEMA 6-50 receptacle using appropriate wire
."

Go for it!

You said it yourself...

Ron has to find a motivated EV dealer. Imagine how hard it was 5 years ago. :shuffle:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:43:37 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2017, 05:20:56 pm »
"Unfortunately we won't be able to sell you the Focus EV. Since we've never sold one, our staff and service technicians would need to be trained and certified before Ford will allow us to sell the vehicle. Sorry."    IMO, you have to really, REALLY want an EV.

Really sorry to hear this, truly.   
My compliments on your patience and persistence.

Your experience is similar to my own findings 4+ years ago trying to buy a Focus Electric when it first came out.   

I ended up with the Smart EV instead because MB (at that time) was promoting it with test drives and availability.
Only a couple of months ago, my local MB dealer fired their one "EV" trained (and excellent!) sales and service leader. 
This has effectively killed off any interest I had in buying another car from them.

I will take your feedback and add it to the list of feedback the EV Society of Ontario is providing to the ministry in charge of the EV programs.
Things are going to change on this, dealers will move forward on the EV front over the next two years, count on it, they cannot sit still when customers are not getting products they WANT to buy.

I have spent 20 hours getting the run-around setting up a test drive for my parents for a Volt.
My parents live in the country, so the closest dealers aren't stocking them like they are here in Toronto.
And just this past weekend, got a call only an hour before the test drive, that indeed, the sales person didn't even have one on the lot, despite booking us in, and promising to charge and wash the car ... what car, they didn't even have one, uggg!  At least I got a nice visit with the family out of the trip.

Again, sorry Ron, keep up the hard work, I'd love to hear about your driving experiences in an EV when you get one.  Cheers.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2017, 05:23:59 pm »
Alright. Went to a dealer I knew (assumed?) were certified to sell EVs because they have a charger out front. Showed him the ad..yep, no problem he says. "At least" a 2 month wait to get one. Already has one on order for a professor.

Called insurance company to check insurance. $76/month.

Waiting on install quotes, which should be done next week.

Then will decide if numbers work.

Still trying to find someplace to get a charger from.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2017, 05:38:56 pm »
Waiting on install quotes, which should be done next week.

Then will decide if numbers work.

Still trying to find someplace to get a charger from.

To keep it simple, ask them to quote you all the hardware (breaker, wire,etc) to install a NEMA 6-50 receptacle for welder into your garage ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2017, 05:40:26 pm »
Called insurance company to check insurance. $76/month.

How does that compare to your other cars?

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2017, 05:46:31 pm »

I have spent 20 hours getting the run-around setting up a test drive for my parents for a Volt.

Wow! Was it long time ago or very recent one?