Author Topic: HG Failed, Guess Who  (Read 18760 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: HG Failed, Guess Who
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 07:41:05 pm »
Agree with the total BS comments. A friend had a HG go on his Sub. That car spent 99% of it's parked life either in his suburban garage or the underground parking at his work. Both flat.
Maybe it was imperceptibly slanted....

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 07:44:59 pm »
Well, even IF the ground is level, someone might park like this...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 07:49:47 pm »

Ahhh yes, the post trip undercarriage check lol

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 07:59:49 pm »

Now,  I could see that not being good for an engine.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 08:34:08 pm »
Now,  I could see that not being good for an engine.

Why?  The heads stick out parallel to the ground either way.  ;D
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 08:45:08 pm »
I bet you park your cars on a hill.
It's all about acidic exhaust gases in the oil dissolving the head gasket. The piston heads and the sump are all down at the same level, and when you park on a slope the oil pools at one end or the other. You're soaking in it now!

If you lived, like I do, in a place with no geographical features whatsoever, your boxer engine would last forever.

I love subies, but I'd never buy one again.  I keep my vehicles too long, and people keep claiming that Subaru has the head gasket problem fixed, but they don't.

I'm batting 3/3 on subies in this household that needed head gaskets.  Not worth it, in my opinion.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

You're quite the comedian!

You know where they get parked.  No more lagavulin for you, LOL.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 09:04:59 pm »
What's the cause of this being so expensive to fix? Isn't a new gastket not particularly expensive ? ???

So whats the deal....other parts have to be replaced, engine eats itself....or is it just boxer motor is buried way too low in the bay?

It is kind of sad that after all these years they still haven't fixed the headgasket issues.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 09:06:27 pm »
What's the cause of this being so expensive to fix? Isn't a new gastket not particularly expensive ? ???

So whats the deal....other parts have to be replaced, engine eats itself....or is it just boxer motor is buried way too low in the bay?

It is kind of sad that after all these years they still haven't fixed the headgasket issues.
Most Subaru owner could tell you about the production schedule of their granola rather than how to do a HG....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 09:09:07 pm »

It's a long process.  Labor.  Usually $100+ per hour depending.  It CAN be done in the engine bay...it's a PITA because of how little room there is to work due to the oritentation of the heads.

So usually is a pull the engine type of thing.  And if it was over heated, you're looking at warped heads...which will need to be ground/skimmed..or if too far gone, new heads.

Either way....expensive. 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 09:10:34 pm »

It's a long process.  Labor.  Usually $100+ per hour depending.  It CAN be done in the engine bay...it's a PITA because of how little room there is to work due to the oritentation of the heads.

So usually is a pull the engine type of thing.  And if it was over heated, you're looking at warped heads...which will need to be ground/skimmed..or if too far gone, new heads.

Either way....expensive.
My best friends have a WRX and an STI, headgaskets are a weekend project. They've both done it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 09:11:42 pm »

Either way....expensive.
My best friends have a WRX and an STI, headgaskets are a weekend project. They've both done it.

Yep.  And a weekend of labor?  Quite a few bucks.  Which is why they do it themselves I guess.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 09:13:04 pm »
No, they would rather do it themselves and do a bunch of other "while we are in there" projects.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 09:15:46 pm »
No, they would rather do it themselves and do a bunch of other "while we are in there" projects.

Yes, yes.

But for most people...not an option. 

Even for me....I have zero interest in repairing the HG when mine eventually goes on the Forester.  I'll try some BlueDevil..and if that doesn't work, Forester will go in the garbage.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 09:18:10 pm »
For me its a PITA that involves my friends and I spending a weekend in the shop and a few beer. Sounds like a good weekend.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 09:19:39 pm »
For me its a PITA that involves my friends and I spending a weekend in the shop and a few beer. Sounds like a good weekend.

Yes, yes.  I agree.  I love hanging around shops.  And working on cars, a stogie, etc.

But I think for most....not so much.

I this regard, we aren't "normal".

BTW...when are you going to quit facking around and get that Mustang rocking with a 351 Windsor swap?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 09:22:52 pm »

Yes, yes.  I agree.  I love hanging around shops.  And working on cars, a stogie, etc.

BTW...when are you going to quit facking around and get that Mustang rocking with a 351 Windsor swap?
Ha....yeah....not till the house is paid off.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 09:26:05 pm »

Ha....yeah....not till the house is paid off.

IMO, you're a lesser person for not spending more on the Stang.   ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 09:29:30 pm »
A HG job on a typical Subaru is a giant PITA job.  The heads are buried in the engine bay.  Ugh.  Also, Subaru dealers have decided that this "mishap" is actually a large revenue opportunity for them!  Most Scoob indies I know charge $2500 or so P/L including changing out the timing belts and pulleys and water pump while they've got your car all apart.  I've heard some dealers might come down to $3K or so if you're a regular customer and they think they'll lose you.

The bummer is that most owners are hooped.  Suppose you have that 2011 Forester.  It's still worth over $10K - you can't walk away from it.  But, try selling it with a huge bill looming - even dropping the price, you're hard pressed to sell it.  So, you're boxed in.  (get it...)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 09:33:08 pm »
A HG job on a typical Subaru is a giant PITA job.  The heads are buried in the engine bay.  Ugh.  Also, Subaru dealers have decided that this "mishap" is actually a large revenue opportunity for them!  Most Scoob indies I know charge $2500 or so P/L including changing out the timing belts and pulleys and water pump while they've got your car all apart.  I've heard some dealers might come down to $3K or so if you're a regular customer and they think they'll lose you.

The bummer is that most owners are hooped.  Suppose you have that 2011 Forester.  It's still worth over $10K - you can't walk away from it.  But, try selling it with a huge bill looming - even dropping the price, you're hard pressed to sell it.  So, you're boxed in.  (get it...)

Yea..I'd try Blue Devil first.  If it doesn't work..or only hold for a year or whatever...it's worth doing.  Because either way...you're hooped.

Nothing to lose since they will refund your money if it doesn't work.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 09:34:27 pm »

Yea..I'd try Blue Devil first.  If it doesn't work..or only hold for a year or whatever...it's worth doing.  Because either way...you're hooped.

Nothing to lose since they will refund your money if it doesn't work.
What is this blue devil stuff??