Author Topic: Upside Down Major  (Read 804326 times)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Upside Down Major
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2015, 08:16:55 pm »

lately, i've even been pushing a few things in the business office... most notably nitrogen for tires

Fixed.   ;D

ha! funny guy!

... the nitro people came in and gave me "free" nitrogen for my car so i could see the difference and use the whole,  "i have it in my car" sales pitch...

not doing it.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2015, 08:17:49 pm »

lately, i've even been pushing a few things in the business office... most notably nitrogen for tires

Fixed.   ;D

ha! funny guy!

... the nitro people came in and gave me "free" nitrogen for my car so i could see the difference and use the whole,  "i have it in my car" sales pitch...

not doing it.

But you have no problem selling it to the unsuspecting?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2015, 08:39:36 pm »
you do realize you have based this whole persona of my sales tactics on me defending the *right* of others to sell it, not myself actually doing it right?

out of the thousands of cars i have sold, i have sold nitro on about 10-20... nearly all specifically asked for it. i know you are just baiting and i hate to take it, but come on... can you seriously skip the snake oil salesman stuff? it really does bug me.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2015, 08:42:39 pm »
you do realize you have based this whole persona of my sales tactics on me defending the *right* of others to sell it, not myself actually doing it right?

out of the thousands of cars i have sold, i have sold nitro on about 10-20... nearly all specifically asked for it. i know you are just baiting and i hate to take it, but come on... can you seriously skip the snake oil salesman stuff? it really does bug me.

Nah.  The persona I have of you is that happy guy pic you posted with you with your wonderful moustache.  THAT'S the persona that's in my brain.   ;D

As you state, I just troll you now and again about the nitrogen.  And as you also point out, you always take the bait.  :)

However, since you've asked kindly...I'll do my best NOT to troll you about nitrogen.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:44:21 pm by rrocket »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2015, 08:51:43 pm »
thanks ap...

and thanks for re-posting that pic... man i looked sexy... (as a note.. don't forget everyone that that picture was taken on halloween!)

you can still bug me about the add-ons rocket... i just feel like it often comes not from a place of just fun jabs, but more accusatory... and i really am as ethical and moral as you'll find in this business, so i take a bit of offense sometimes.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2015, 08:56:17 pm »
thanks ap...

and thanks for re-posting that pic... man i looked sexy... (as a note.. don't forget everyone that that picture was taken on halloween!)

you can still bug me about the add-ons rocket... i just feel like it often comes not from a place of just fun jabs, but more accusatory... and i really am as ethical and moral as you'll find in this business, so i take a bit of offense sometimes.

I wouldn't listen too much to what people say on the interwebs anyways.   ;D

I still think you are the most human looking Randy Marsh ever!  So you've got that going for you too! 

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2015, 08:57:33 pm »
thanks ap...

R u wearing make up in that pic 2scoop?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2015, 09:05:50 pm »
nope aqua... i have a pinkish hue....

that picture is just horrible... i swear i don't normally look/dress like that!

just held back... almost posted a normal pic of me... then i realized... why would i do that?!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2015, 09:07:37 pm »

that picture is just horrible... i swear i don't normally look/dress like that!

I think it's a great pic.  YMMV.

PM sent, BTW.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2015, 09:35:58 pm »
Tooscoops.....although I've never met you, but from what I've come to know of you on the forum you'd be the type of salesman that I'd want to deal with when purchasing a car.  Cheers!   :cheers:
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2015, 10:14:43 pm »
Exactly. I thought Upside down major was about sex and that Cord took it off topic with stories about auto financing fiascos.

:rofl2:

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2015, 12:37:11 pm »
and canuck.. i would love to have a guy like you detail my car, make my beer and who knows what other skills you have!

just had a guy want to trade in his srt 300... (older than the other thread starter wants)... worth about 16, owes 32. wants into a loaded durango citadel... best part is that he wants to either lower or keep his payments where they are... oh, and he's sub-prime... i'm sure due to such good decisions as this. i told him that i wasn't comfortable doing a deal and he would have to go to the dealer in toronto he had been talking to earlier.

Northernridge

« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2015, 12:41:21 pm »
and canuck.. i would love to have a guy like you detail my car, make my beer and who knows what other skills you have!

just had a guy want to trade in his srt 300... (older than the other thread starter wants)... worth about 16, owes 32. wants into a loaded durango citadel... best part is that he wants to either lower or keep his payments where they are... oh, and he's sub-prime... i'm sure due to such good decisions as this. i told him that i wasn't comfortable doing a deal and he would have to go to the dealer in toronto he had been talking to earlier.

Why weren't you comfortable? Do you mean he couldn't get financing, your dealership couldn't reconcile the trade or that you had some moral dilemma?

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2015, 12:50:36 pm »
it was going to be 15%+, 16 grand negative equity and a trade that i didn't want (i contacted some people who had "done work on it" according to the owner... they knew the car and had never touched it, refusing to deal with the owner)...

just a bunch of red flags on a deal with a guy who was being a jerk. not worth my time and not a deal i would feel good about doing for myself. the dealership or the customer.

Northernridge

« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2015, 12:51:43 pm »
15%  :fall:

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2015, 12:51:50 pm »

How can he be so upside down on an older car like that!?  I understand being upside down in year 1 thru maybe 3 of a 5yr car loan, but on something like this that's older!?  Unless he's just rolling debt over & over into the new loan?  Also, are you saying $16k is the trade in value on the car, or actual resale value? 

I put zero down on my Wrangler last summer and got a sh*tty interest rate, but after 13 months of ownership, I think I'd be out ahead right now, or break even! I owe about another ~$29k on it and I see them listed in the $32k - $35k range for models similar to mine.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2015, 02:54:40 pm »
Tooscoops.....although I've never met you, but from what I've come to know of you on the forum you'd be the type of salesman that I'd want to deal with when purchasing a car.  Cheers!   :cheers:

Same here, tried to get my BIL to call you when he was looking for a new RAM.... but as usual he would rather not listen to me and went to Ontario Chrysler  :P

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2015, 04:10:30 pm »

How can he be so upside down on an older car like that!?  I understand being upside down in year 1 thru maybe 3 of a 5yr car loan, but on something like this that's older!?  Unless he's just rolling debt over & over into the new loan?  Also, are you saying $16k is the trade in value on the car, or actual resale value? 

I put zero down on my Wrangler last summer and got a sh*tty interest rate, but after 13 months of ownership, I think I'd be out ahead right now, or break even! I owe about another ~$29k on it and I see them listed in the $32k - $35k range for models similar to mine.

I am confident that 16$K was the trade-in value since the unltimate resale value is irrelevant to the situation.

Comparing to what others are "listed" at doesn't matter unless you are going to sell it yourself. Trade-in is a whole different thing. But good for you if you are anywhere near even after a year.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2015, 04:12:53 pm »

I hate to break it to you, but I've been in your position, and you're probably still significantly upside down.  There's a couple of things going against you.  One is how much you owe.  Have you actually phoned your finance company and asked them what the buy-out amount is at this moment?  It's probably more than $29K even after 13 months.  I have no idea what your amortization is, but if it's 5 or 6 years or more, and your interest rate is 10% or so, you've probably only paid off a couple grand or so of your principal so far.

2nd is the trade in value.  You may see them listed at $32-$35K range, but you would likely get nowhere near that if you were looking to trade in.  Dealer may give you $16-$17K for a trade.  Even if trying to sell privately, you'd have to settle for mid-high twenties in order to move the car in a timely manner.

Anyway, I don't want to be a buzzkill, and I'm certainly not an expert, I'm just relaying my experiences.  It's ALWAYS worse than you think it is. 

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2015, 05:28:57 pm »
jeeps are an odd one...

his sahara really is probably worth 28-29... and yeah, 32-33 retail... (never understood how people think we give 17k on a trade that we then sell for 32-35... my god, i would love that!). if he bought at supplier or something and at the right time (last year had a month or two where there was near 5500 off retail) he could very well be darn close to equity.

and yeah this guy with the 300... was a 2009 that he bought a year and a bit ago and rolled negative equity into plus high interest so no principal has been paid... he also added rims and other crap into the finance that he didn't want to include on the trade in.