Author Topic: Long-Term Test Arrival: 2016 Mazda CX-3  (Read 22017 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: Long-Term Test Arrival: 2016 Mazda CX-3
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2015, 02:01:56 pm »
Was invited for a 'private' viewing for one of these this weekend and since the wife initially liked the look of the CX-3 from the photos we spent a lazy afternoon doing just that. Some lasting impressions:

1. It looks really odd in person. Both the wife and I had the same feeling. The overall shape with the large tires just seemed off to us. It is also very small in comparison to the say the CX-5 or Mazda 5.
2. We test drove a fully loaded GT model. First looks in the interior show an upscale vehicle. A lot of nice touches with the leather. It is a lot roomier on the inside than you would first think. (I am 6'1") The rear is a little tight but comparable or better than my Mazda 3. Ditto to the storage space. Access for a child's car seat seems better than my Mazda 3.
3. Like the majority of Mazdas, it really is a hoot to drive. And like many smaller cars, the small size seemed to encourage spirited driving. The power seemed adequate and the engine/automatic felt well meshed. I didn't recall any hunting for gears or waiting etc. The sales lady even suggested a short section of gravel road to try!

Even if we could get past the looks, (we couldn't) for our needs and wants, ie a family, this car is simply not practical. However, we were definitely impressed with the luxurious interior and fun to drive factor. As I recall the fully loaded model was 30k so not cheap either. Though it is a very well put together little car, I am curious who the intended market is.

This is right in the price range of people shopping for hatchbacks...I'd the expect the Mazda3 sales to suffer and hatchback sales will suffer overall as more of these little CUVs are introduced to the market.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2015, 02:03:21 pm »
Long term, if this sells, I wonder if we'll see the 3-Sport discontinued?

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2015, 08:18:05 pm »
interesting aqua...

how much taller than your rabbit, would you estimate roughly?

I like sitting higher up and driving dynamics but looks like this one's missing space.

hi Julie~

i would say, an inch, inch and half at max.
does have a straighter sitting position on CX 3, and i think that's why the rear headroom is so lacking.  seat may be too straight.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2015, 08:23:55 pm »
Was invited for a 'private' viewing for one of these this weekend and since the wife initially liked the look of the CX-3 from the photos we spent a lazy afternoon doing just that. Some lasting impressions:

1. It looks really odd in person. Both the wife and I had the same feeling. The overall shape with the large tires just seemed off to us. It is also very small in comparison to the say the CX-5 or Mazda 5.
2. We test drove a fully loaded GT model. First looks in the interior show an upscale vehicle. A lot of nice touches with the leather. It is a lot roomier on the inside than you would first think. (I am 6'1") The rear is a little tight but comparable or better than my Mazda 3. Ditto to the storage space. Access for a child's car seat seems better than my Mazda 3.
3. Like the majority of Mazdas, it really is a hoot to drive. And like many smaller cars, the small size seemed to encourage spirited driving. The power seemed adequate and the engine/automatic felt well meshed. I didn't recall any hunting for gears or waiting etc. The sales lady even suggested a short section of gravel road to try!

Even if we could get past the looks, (we couldn't) for our needs and wants, ie a family, this car is simply not practical. However, we were definitely impressed with the luxurious interior and fun to drive factor. As I recall the fully loaded model was 30k so not cheap either. Though it is a very well put together little car, I am curious who the intended market is.

Empty nesters who like to sit high, and young people just starting out, maybe a baby on the way, and want to fit in with a little CUV. 

It will probably take getting used to.  When I saw the Encore for the first time, I didn't get it.  But I can see the appeal for some...

Offline Ron

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mazda 3 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GT
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2015, 11:46:57 am »
Yes likely just getting used to these type of vehicles. Affecting Mazda 3 sales is a possibility I never thought of because of just how odd I found the appearance of this CUV, not as odd/ugly as the Juke say, but definitively a disconnect for me from viewing the photos, reading the review versus seeing in person. Apart from the subjective take on the looks, I think it is a great little vehicle to drive and time will tell on the market.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2015, 12:20:39 pm »
As the owner of a Mazda 3 GT hatch in Soul Red, I can attest to Mazdas receiving second glances from passers-by.  Since buying it last August, I've had more than two dozen people come up to me for compliments or, last year, to ask what it was.  Mazda is killing it on the design front. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2015, 01:57:00 pm »
The first new car the missus and I bought way back when was an Acura Integra - and had this CX-3 been around, I would have looked at it pretty hard.  Give up some handling but get AWD - pretty good compromise as the CX-3 ain't exactly a wallowing Expedition-class boat-mobile.

I know some young people that work in the outdoor sports industry that earn an okay living (mechanized ski guiding - heli and cat) and this would be a perfect vehicle for them.  They often have to get places in the winter on bad roads but mostly travel alone or with one other person.  They're also super-sensitive about fuel economy.  Right now they buy Imprezas - Mazda has nothing for them - until now.

My Dad finds his Corolla almost "too big - why do I need that big back seat?"  Him and his SO often vacation in the S2K so he knows how to pack light!  That said, in the winter he's an avid X-C skier and the CX-3 would fit him perfectly.  Low price, AWD, compact size.

One key here is that it gives Mazda a product to establish brand awareness/loyalty.  When that young couple has a baby Mazda has a CX-5 for them...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2015, 02:21:28 pm »
I was going to build one online but Mazda still doesn't have it available. Are we (autos.ca) the only people that build cars online? Sub page says the GS is $24K before AWD and GT (w/AWD) is $29K.

I might have to drop by the local dealer and check one out.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2015, 02:25:33 pm »
My mom is getting bored of her little orange SX4, something about the color being too young for her ??? She wants that little Porsche suv thing, Macau I think, but the amount that she drives there is no point. I think between this and the Crosstrek would be perfect for her, no highway basically, enough room for groceries, awd for winter, higher seating position and I think this is a bloody good looking car. I would never consider something in this segment as its too small and underpowered for me, for my mom and tons of older people out there, great having so many choices.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2015, 02:47:24 pm »
How about a CX-3 "coupe"?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2015, 02:50:10 pm »
Wouldn't be the first one to try that. See Land Rover Evoque.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2015, 07:44:36 am »

Or the GMC Jimmy!

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2015, 09:19:04 am »

In terms of utility, it's a step back. However, in terms of design "balance", I like the 2-door version.