Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Honda HR-V  (Read 26026 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: First Drive: 2016 Honda HR-V
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2015, 09:15:23 am »
This HR-V is a total rip off.  It has a dated chassis and an engine that has been around for more than 10 years since its introduction.  Still with a single cam, no direct injection.

What's your point?  The Tacoma is older then the new GM midsize twins, and it still outsells it almost 2 to 1.  People in this segment don't care about the engine so much.  At least it has the Civic engine, and not the Fit.

They care about the cargo room (most in it's class), price, features, fuel economy, and reliability.  The HR-V delivers all this.  It will sell quite well. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2015, 09:21:27 am »
It already is selling very well. I think Honda was targeting something along the lines of 40k annual sales in the U.S. and they sold ~6500 in the first two weeks it was available!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2015, 11:09:29 am »
This HR-V is a total rip off.  It has a dated chassis and an engine that has been around for more than 10 years since its introduction.  Still with a single cam, no direct injection.

Direct injection is a fuel and money saver, until you have to clean those valves. BMW charges about $2,000 for the service. My mechanic who only charges $30 an hour for labour is perfecting his valve cleaning method and may offer the service soon for $500 for 4 cylinder Skyactiv/Mazdaspeed DI engines. He knows the Mazdaspeed DISI engine and most other DI engines Hyundai Chevy etc. probably needs this service every 60,000km. He has a 2012 Skyactiv 3 as well also at about 65,000km like mine so he's going to inspect the valves soon to see if they're as bad as the Mazdaspeed ones or if they really resist carbon buildup on valves like Mazda claims.

We're both noticing that fuel consumption has crept up especially in the past year, and we're both questioning if direct injection was the right choice. You can look at my Fuelly to see that creep up that began a year ago. Unfortunately, there are fewer port injection engine choices to choose from nowadays, but the HR-V is definitely a breath of fresh air in that aspect.

My two cents.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2015, 12:23:56 pm »
How many DI engines have a problem I wonder.  Or is it mostly an urban myth for certain engines used under specific conditions.
I had a DI GTI for 5 years with no problems. A M-B for one year, not long enough to show a problem I guess and now the DI Q5 which has only 17000kms, not enough to show a problem.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2015, 06:59:46 pm »
How many DI engines have a problem I wonder.  Or is it mostly an urban myth for certain engines used under specific conditions.
I had a DI GTI for 5 years with no problems. A M-B for one year, not long enough to show a problem I guess and now the DI Q5 which has only 17000kms, not enough to show a problem.
i'd say it likely has more to do with the fuel that goes into it...it is quite likely that fuel quality is FAR more important to do a DI engine than a standard port injection style engine...since you drive a GTI, you likely already use a top quality fuel, but i'll bet many others just use whatever from wherever...it's why i spend the extra couple bucks on V-Power in my Rio5...lots of detergents and no ethanol.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2015, 12:11:17 pm »
i'd say it likely has more to do with the fuel that goes into it...it is quite likely that fuel quality is FAR more important to do a DI engine than a standard port injection style engine...since you drive a GTI, you likely already use a top quality fuel, but i'll bet many others just use whatever from wherever...it's why i spend the extra couple bucks on V-Power in my Rio5...lots of detergents and no ethanol.
Somewhat true.  But those detergents are not going to clean the intake valve when fuel isn't sprayed into the intake tract, ahead of the valves.

Most of the build up has to do with EGR and PCV systems.  I remember reading an article that discussed it.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
First Drive: 2016 Honda HR-V
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2015, 01:13:49 pm »
The issue with DI engines is indeed that the valves never see the fuel additives.

Toyota's D4S is the best system. I hope that all makers adopt their own versions of it.

As for the HRV, in this class of vehicle few if any buyers will be asking about injection systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2015, 05:21:54 pm »
Somewhat true.  But those detergents are not going to clean the intake valve when fuel isn't sprayed into the intake tract, ahead of the valves.
i realize that, but the deposits that generally build up, build up on valves because of crap fuel and/or poor combustion...using a top quality fuel can at least help keep that to a minimum.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2015, 12:20:54 pm »
A high quality synthetic oil particularly one that resists fuel dilution is also a good one. Amsoil, Motul, Eneos, and Pennzoil Platinum are a few I can think of that has this property.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2015, 09:39:20 pm »
just read a Canadian review that says this vehicle will go on sale in Canada on July 10th.

already on sale.

saw them running around in town.

went to dealership to take a look and they told me they sold everything they had, except one base tester (which i saw)

base model with automatic, no sun roof.

like the seat, fairly comfy.  lots of headroom front and back.    (could be due to no sunroof)

lots of leg room in the back seat.
decent trunk space.
magic seat in the back.

like the interior, overall, but didn't like the cloth covered door panel.  cloth feels cheap.

overall, i like this much more than Mazda CX 3 from interior space point of view.

didn't drive it, but i think this could replace my VW, whereas the Mazda CX-3 didn't make the cut.

told them i would swing by again to look at a higher trim model when its available.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2015, 11:28:41 pm »
they sold 703 in June.  The Fit sold 918 but way down from 1,517 in June 2014.  I wonder if the HR-V sales will cut into the Fit sales to some extent particular anyone considering the higher end Fit model? 

The HR-V has outside the Fit in the US - 7,760 to 4,669 for June.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2015, 09:27:44 am »
they sold 703 in June.  The Fit sold 918 but way down from 1,517 in June 2014.  I wonder if the HR-V sales will cut into the Fit sales to some extent particular anyone considering the higher end Fit model? 

The HR-V has outside the Fit in the US - 7,760 to 4,669 for June.

I like small cars.  But this has more utility, a bit more power, and more room.  So I would take this...