Author Topic: Housing  (Read 936158 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7200
    • View Profile
Re: Housing
« Reply #2240 on: June 19, 2017, 05:51:37 pm »

Become a house husband. It isn't an easy job but somebody has to do it.

Was the easiest job I ever had.  No joke.

You would suck at marketing.  :P

What I do is hard....very hard. Don't let anybody else tell you different.  ;D

Are you a house husband? 

Honestly...both IQ and I thought being full time house wife/husband (with 1 kid) was easier than our "real" jobs.

I suppose it depends what your "real" job is.

But after I got into the routine, I honestly had no idea what all the housewives were crying about.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2241 on: June 19, 2017, 06:00:45 pm »
Ron likes to run down those of us that occupy our time doing things other than at paid-labour, but I've paid my dues and then some.  I did the stay-at-home parent thing too, and it's easy in that you control your time completely (within the child-rearing necessities, of course) but it's also inflexible in that you can't take days off, etc, and it's usually from wake to sleep unless your working spouse can take over, but that's often difficult.  So, there's good things and bad things - but I'd do it again in a second.  It also depends on the career/job you're coming from.  Compared to my high-stress, long hours job industry, stay-at-home parenting was for sure many rungs down in terms of strain.  But, if you were working part-time retail, well, that's another thing.

One thing that's been great for us is the time I've had to give parenting a teenager.  A lot of folks give up when the kids are more self-sufficient, which is a HUGE mistake.  HUGE.  Teens need a lot of parenting.  People love to say "oh, but YOUR teen is so amazing, it was a breeze for you."  So you mean you have no clue as to WHY my kid is awesome?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2242 on: June 19, 2017, 06:04:43 pm »

Become a house husband. It isn't an easy job but somebody has to do it.

Was the easiest job I ever had.  No joke.

You would suck at marketing.  :P

What I do is hard....very hard. Don't let anybody else tell you different.  ;D

Are you a house husband? 

Actually my job title is "Bum". I'd go with HH but we have no kids. I tried for pro cyclist but just not good enough plus way too old now.

Think you might be missing my joke though. If we keep telling people what we do is "hard" then they will be none the wiser. Just a joke and a few of us that ride together use it all the time.

Where you able to clean up the kitchen before making this ride.
Ya, those 4 dishes really tired me out, lets not race for the first 20K.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: June 19, 2017, 06:17:38 pm »
Ron likes to run down those of us that occupy our time doing things other than at paid-labour, but I've paid my dues and then some.  I did the stay-at-home parent thing too, and it's easy in that you control your time completely (within the child-rearing necessities, of course) but it's also inflexible in that you can't take days off, etc, and it's usually from wake to sleep unless your working spouse can take over, but that's often difficult.  So, there's good things and bad things - but I'd do it again in a second.  It also depends on the career/job you're coming from.  Compared to my high-stress, long hours job industry, stay-at-home parenting was for sure many rungs down in terms of strain.  But, if you were working part-time retail, well, that's another thing.

One thing that's been great for us is the time I've had to give parenting a teenager.  A lot of folks give up when the kids are more self-sufficient, which is a HUGE mistake.  HUGE.  Teens need a lot of parenting.  People love to say "oh, but YOUR teen is so amazing, it was a breeze for you."  So you mean you have no clue as to WHY my kid is awesome?

I'm not running anyone down for being a house husband/wife.  It's an important job..perhaps THE most important job (if you have kids).

That being said...I didn't find it hard.  At least not compared to what I or IQ do.  Working in the dangerous  environment I do, anything other than doing this is easy for ME honestly.  Almost relaxing. YMMV.  I'm about to set-up a 5 ton raw block of steel in tight confines with nothing more than handtools and lifting equipment that is know to fail on occasion.  If I had to pick, between doing what's on my schedule this evening or tending to house duties with the family...I know which one I'd pick.

They key (for me) was sticking to my schedule....and I was pretty rigid with that schedule...which after the "break in" period was easy.  All in all, unless some :censor: is going down, it's a pretty repetitive day for the general tasks involved.  And those tasks are easy (making meals, cleaning, laundry, etc).  And the hands-on task with the kid was more fun than work IMO. 

Like I said...YMMV.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2244 on: June 19, 2017, 07:13:54 pm »
Try it with 4 children , and with 3 in cloth diapers

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2245 on: June 19, 2017, 08:55:15 pm »
Having had the good fortune to see where Ron works (:cheers:), I can attest he has some serious inherent dangers, and some fantastic coworkers to rely upon.

Still, I think my desk job is killing me more quickly than I'd like to admit to myself.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: June 20, 2017, 08:49:42 am »
Well, I'll be unemployed in under 2 weeks

Perfect.  The break you've been looking for to move from the rat race and get to the mountains.
 ;D
I wish...if I take a month off, no income (the wife's income doesn't start up again until Aug and she's not exactly the breadwinner currently) - and we just bought a house.  Work is underway on the shower (demo is done, plumbing work is done (rainfall and bar faucets), new vapour barrier is in, tiles are on, the threshold is done, so all that's needed is grouting and glass, and they forgot to put in the cut-outs, so that'll happen soon).  Once that's done, we have to get the painters in.  All things I sort of need to be around for, and all things that cost $...not ideal to be unemployed and eating into $ that should be going into the RRSPs/TFSAs.

We had a problem with bathroom paint becoming mildewed over the years until we used a paint with a different base...shellac base, I think, Undercoat first. It worked well for us and 6 or 7 years with no mildew now.
Prior to this we used an oil base. Before writing this I did some web research and could not find an article recommending this approach and some paint producers seem to dis it...we found it works great...anyway thought I'd mention it. I think it was a newspaper article come to think.
   Geesh...the price of paint has really gone up. I thought the world was awash with oil now.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2247 on: June 20, 2017, 09:17:21 am »
We're having the house painted professionally... They told ya already that bathroom gets different paint - not sure which one, but I'll check in - thanks for the tip!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2248 on: June 20, 2017, 09:29:00 am »
We're having the house painted professionally... They told ya already that bathroom gets different paint - not sure which one, but I'll check in - thanks for the tip!

Probably bathroom paint  :rofl2:

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: June 20, 2017, 10:04:08 am »
Travel is a source of aggravation for climbers, especially those that go off to faraway places - we love the environment and our wild spaces, but the act of getting there harms them.  It's the same with our vehicles - we often require high clearance AWD or 4x4 vehicles, and they're typically not very environmentally friendly.

I agree. But how else can you see the world and experience different cultures, see historical landmarks, go to far distant archives, etc. than to fly there?

Maybe just make sure you make up for it in other areas, balance the karma  :) If you are going to be taking a long plane trip to a beach resort in Fiji, maybe go vegetarian/vegan for 6 months before to balance the pollution out? [*exact figures as to what would balance out the pollution levels of the flight and 6 months of no meat consumption elude me] Also, chances are you will look better in the swimsuit.  ;)

All we can do is try our best while living our lives.
You can guesstimate your air flight and buy carbon offsets for it.  Be sure to buy GOLD standard offsets though.

cool, I did not know about this

I think a tiny house would make a fantastic small cottage with very little maintenance...I am definitely interested in the concept as well - still find some of them too expensive though!

Container homes are also awesome as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2250 on: June 20, 2017, 10:13:27 am »

Ceiling also. Mildew was a real pain.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2251 on: June 20, 2017, 12:09:48 pm »
Your area sounds like mine.

But perhaps the key differentiator: How are living costs ?

Kelowna is substantially better than Vancouver, a little worse than Edmonton and Calgary, except unemployment is close to half of Alberta's right now. The average single home family price in Kelowna reached $700k for the first time ever. Townhomes average $488k. I just bought my townhome a few months ago for $220k, an old 1100 sq ft 3 bedroom 1.5 bath place, and I heard someone in my complex is about to list their unit for $270k. We'll see how that goes. We'll likely upgrade to a duplex or older bungalow in a few years in about the $400-550k range.

Driving is way cheaper than Vancouver. In Vancouver, taking transit or riding my motorcycle was a must while I do those things here purely because I want to. Servicing is a bit more expensive however at least at the Mazda dealer, although nowhere near as bad as in Edmonton. Eating out is more expensive, especially if I want Asian fare. Groceries are about the same but there is an abundance of farm fresh fruits, vegetables, and eggs at a reasonable price.

Back in 2011, the median family with kids after tax income was $65k. Overall median after tax income was $27k.

I'm not rich but I'm not scraping by like I was in Vancouver. Next month, we'll be taking our first proper vacation in over 6 years.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: June 20, 2017, 12:20:24 pm »
Is there much employment there.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: June 20, 2017, 12:26:39 pm »
4.something % unemployment in Kelowna right now. Many sectors are booming. Complete turn around from a year ago. A lot of people in Vancouver seem hesitant to move to Kelowna though, maybe because of the justified fear that there are only a handful of companies for their field. But Albertans out of work are flocking here. A quarter of my office are ex-Albertans.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2254 on: June 20, 2017, 02:36:21 pm »

Kelowna is substantially better than Vancouver, a little worse than Edmonton and Calgary, except unemployment is close to half of Alberta's right now. The average single home family price in Kelowna reached $700k for the first time ever. Townhomes average $488k. I just bought my townhome a few months ago for $220k, an old 1100 sq ft 3 bedroom 1.5 bath place, and I heard someone in my complex is about to list their unit for $270k. We'll see how that goes. We'll likely upgrade to a duplex or older bungalow in a few years in about the $400-550k range.

Driving is way cheaper than Vancouver. In Vancouver, taking transit or riding my motorcycle was a must while I do those things here purely because I want to. Servicing is a bit more expensive however at least at the Mazda dealer, although nowhere near as bad as in Edmonton. Eating out is more expensive, especially if I want Asian fare. Groceries are about the same but there is an abundance of farm fresh fruits, vegetables, and eggs at a reasonable price.

Back in 2011, the median family with kids after tax income was $65k. Overall median after tax income was $27k.

I'm not rich but I'm not scraping by like I was in Vancouver. Next month, we'll be taking our first proper vacation in over 6 years.
This is the difference.

Western North Carolina has a higher cost of living than the other major metro areas (Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh, Wilmington), and lower wages. Food, grocery, fuel, housing all cost substantially more due to its isolation. Most jobs are in the tourism/services industry and healthcare (hospitals).

Asheville is consistently ranked as one of the best places to retire. So unsurprisingly, most of the wealth and $$$ comes from retirees owning a 2nd home or renting here. Throw in the high cost of building in the mountains and limited space, most medium-sized single family houses are in the 400-500 k$ (US) range if you want to be near the urban area. Average rent for a 1-bedroom is 1000 $US- highest in the state.

There's been both a population boom and housing bubble over the past few years. You'd be a fool to buy property here at this point. I'm looking to move out, honestly. The quality of life is really good, but the numbers and (lack of) career paths just don't make sense for younger folks. Big city living costs without the big-city pay and convenience.  >:(
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2255 on: June 20, 2017, 03:02:45 pm »
Alberta is better off than people think looking at numbers.  We had a lot of people move here to work, and unlike in last busts, they're hanging around hoping things turn around.  We're seeing some move on now (as per the above observation in Kelowna) but there is still a lot that are just coasting.

A friend of mine is a welder for the City of Edmonton, and has a senior position that involves staffing.  When the oil biz collapsed, he figured he'd be able to hire guys laid off from the patch.  Nope.  They wouldn't take a lowly $30-35/hr job because $100bbl oil was coming back any day.  He's managed to fill the open spots (which is great, as his department keeps the LRT tracks in shape, so there is already less transit downtime) but he still knows of many trades that are still either not moving away or won't take lower paying work.

Alberta's oil biz is reaching a healthy equilibrium now.  It's finding a comfort spot at $45-50/bbl that is profitable for companies but doesn't cause an over-heated labour market that incites mass migration from other parts of Canada.  Another friend of mine is actually really happy about this (he's some sort of technician, I'm not sure what...) as "they got rid of all the dead wood and now we're not stumbling around with morons" and he's also seeing his own company investing in renewable energy programs as the collapse of the oil market woke them up.  He actually feels better about his long term prospects than he did in 2011.

A huge issue in Alberta is that the Tories left us with a giant infrastructure deficit and an empty bank account.  If we can find a way to reconstruct the province, that will keep the trades afloat for some time and hopefully we can find some sustainable way to fund it.  We're still one of (if not the) lowest taxed jurisdictions in the country - I can't see how we can keep that up.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: June 20, 2017, 07:31:34 pm »
Alberta is better off than people think looking at numbers.  We had a lot of people move here to work, and unlike in last busts, they're hanging around hoping things turn around.  We're seeing some move on now (as per the above observation in Kelowna) but there is still a lot that are just coasting.

A friend of mine is a welder for the City of Edmonton, and has a senior position that involves staffing.  When the oil biz collapsed, he figured he'd be able to hire guys laid off from the patch.  Nope.  They wouldn't take a lowly $30-35/hr job because $100bbl oil was coming back any day.  He's managed to fill the open spots (which is great, as his department keeps the LRT tracks in shape, so there is already less transit downtime) but he still knows of many trades that are still either not moving away or won't take lower paying work.

Alberta's oil biz is reaching a healthy equilibrium now.  It's finding a comfort spot at $45-50/bbl that is profitable for companies but doesn't cause an over-heated labour market that incites mass migration from other parts of Canada.  Another friend of mine is actually really happy about this (he's some sort of technician, I'm not sure what...) as "they got rid of all the dead wood and now we're not stumbling around with morons" and he's also seeing his own company investing in renewable energy programs as the collapse of the oil market woke them up.  He actually feels better about his long term prospects than he did in 2011.

A huge issue in Alberta is that the Tories left us with a giant infrastructure deficit and an empty bank account.  If we can find a way to reconstruct the province, that will keep the trades afloat for some time and hopefully we can find some sustainable way to fund it.  We're still one of (if not the) lowest taxed jurisdictions in the country - I can't see how we can keep that up.

That's the first positive brush that I see being applied to Alberta's current economic situation. I fully expect the NDP to be a one term only government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: June 20, 2017, 07:52:15 pm »

That's the first positive brush that I see being applied to Alberta's current economic situation.

That's because you only read The Sun.  Lots of economic journals agree with what I wrote.  But, here's some easier to understand reports...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-conference-board-of-canada-spring-outlook-2017-1.4135837

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/aboutalberta/economic-trends/2017/2017-05-economic-trends.pdf  (this one shows how negative it's been for the oil business, but how the rest of the province has managed to start  recovery)

http://www.rbc.com/economics/economic-reports/pdf/provincial-forecasts/alta.pdf

http://globalnews.ca/news/3485564/ontario-alberta-canada-economy-2017/

http://globalnews.ca/news/3462005/albertas-economy-starting-to-stabilize-atb-outlook/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/data-may-be-grim-but-albertas-economy-stands-strong/article34912443/

Here's a rather negative one, but oddly doesn't blame the NDP government for low oil prices.  Huh...

http://www.westernwheel.com/article/Economist-says-challenges-still-ahead-for-Alberta-economy-20170405

How about this one?  You'll like it, except, WHOOPS, it shows the Tories squandered the money.  Huh.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/blogs/alberta-s-net-financial-position-has-deteriorated-by-68-billion-in-11-years

What's YOUR answer?  Austerity, I bet.  Let's go with that crap...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/27/austerity-policies-do-more-harm-than-good-imf-study-concludes

So, you want the WRP to slash and burn and deepen the recession?  How would THAT help?  And how would the WRP raise oil prices?  I'd like to see that!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: June 21, 2017, 11:27:15 am »
Kelowna was also ok on the surface at 9.4% unemployment. My wife felt the wrath of that 9.4%.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: June 21, 2017, 08:44:02 pm »
Kelowna was also ok on the surface at 9.4% unemployment. My wife felt the wrath of that 9.4%.

Oh, for sure.  Alberta is struggling, but things could be far worse.  We didn't burn the civil service to the ground, meaning unemployment numbers are better than they would have been had we had both sectors murdered.  Just because the oil business is struggling doesn't mean we have less demand for public services - in fact, in many cases, demand is higher.  Heath care demands often rise during recessions, etc.

What we need to understand here is that we built an economy based on $100/bbl oil - and low/no taxes.  By cutting tax rates during booms, it crippled the future as there was no buffer for when things would fall off.  And people here honestly thought $100+ oil was the "reality forever."  I was laughed at whenever I suggested that $40/bbl oil was not only possible, but probable given the goings-on in terms of the world market and lack of demand growth along with the push for growth in renewable energy.  "Ya dunno what yer talkin' bout - China and India need oil at a rate that means $200/bbl oil is coming, not $40/bbl!"

The oil business is very important here - but it needs to built around a model of $40-50 oil, not $100-200 oil.

The conundrum now is how to recover both the private sector and public environment.  Without the windfall taxes from those boom years, we are broke and can't repair the crumbling infrastructure or provide public services.  But, if we don't keep rebuilding the infrastructure or keep our public services, we become a poor place to do business. Businesses look at WAY MORE than taxes (contrary to popular belief, and this has been studied) - they look HARD at quality of life, because high-quality employees are much more concerned with that then the income tax rate.  Is there schools and roads and good health care and an arts community?  Community recreation centers?  A vibrant community is more important than a 1% difference in tax rates.

There's no obvious solution.  Slashing government spending might balance the budget, but sacrifices the future of the province.  Keeping spending high will increase the debt, but for now, Alberta still has the lowest debt load in Canada, but we can only do this for so long.  We need the economy to bounce back enough that we can increase tax revenue to control deficit spending - but this is probably going to involve a combination of a PST and corporate taxes - dirty words in Alberta.  Albertans want an awesome province with amazing infrastructure and modern education and health care, and on and on, but want to pay no taxes and have been brainwashed to believe that oil royalties and corporate taxes mean that the entire province becomes unemployed overnight.  Ugh.

We saw this coming.  A lot of economists did.  Papers were published SCREAMING it. No one believed it.  Trickle down BS.