Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2330967 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #8960 on: April 26, 2018, 07:47:30 pm »
Hoping for the best for your Mom.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: April 26, 2018, 07:58:02 pm »
my mom had pancreatitis.
while checking pancreas, docs found 3 cm mass. 

read online that 85% of tumors found on pancreas is cancer.   

i'm feeling a lost and panicked. .  they did a biopsy, and i'm desparately clinging to the hope that she's among the 15% but fcuk..  i'm getting :censor: depressed...

All I can say is, treasure your mom right now and forever.  You can’t predict what really happens, but I have to say, accept the odds.  Tell her everything she means to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8962 on: April 26, 2018, 08:06:24 pm »
^^^  This.  I was doing stay-at-home Dad duty at the time, so my daughter and I spent every minute we could with her.  We got them to move in with us for a while even.  I'm so glad we had that.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #8963 on: April 26, 2018, 08:17:16 pm »
my mom had pancreatitis.

i'm feeling a lost and panicked. .  they did a biopsy, and i'm desparately clinging to the hope that she's among the 15% but fcuk..  i'm getting :censor: depressed...

All I can say is, treasure your mom right now and forever.  You can’t predict what really happens, but I have to say, accept the odds.  Tell her everything she means to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good advice. 

My mom has been in the hospital since late December.  She’s old now and not functioning well, and likely wont leave the hospital, or if she does it will be to a full care facility to live out her remaining days.   She has had an amazingly adventurous life and still managed to bring up two generations of children, so it’s really tough to see her fade away gradually.  We just try to make the best of it and all four of us visit her several times a week. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8964 on: April 26, 2018, 09:30:52 pm »
:censor: Cancer. Sorry to hear aqua; this is tough stuff but the advice here is sound - take advantage of everything you can to get her (and yourself) as much help as possible.
Had a similar scare with my mom years ago (I was in highschool); turned out to be a false diagnosis of sorts, not cancer, but man those were some sleepless nights. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #8965 on: April 27, 2018, 12:25:26 am »
Very sorry to read that, hoping for the best for her & your family.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8966 on: April 27, 2018, 07:33:32 am »
my mom had pancreatitis.

:'(

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #8967 on: April 27, 2018, 10:00:09 am »

That's very good advice.

I wish all the best for you and your mum, aquadorhj.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #8968 on: April 29, 2018, 05:12:38 am »
^Agreed. As an only-child, I can't imagine life without my parents. Wishing the very best out come @aquadorhj  :'(

Ok, I'm going to go on a bit of a rant.

German autobahns, or infrastructure in general. Oh boy, where do I start........ :banghead:

Dear Germany, STOP BEING A CHEAPSKATE AND SPEND MONEY ON PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE !!!!

Sure, you're awfully proud of having a balanced budget. But :censor: that, everyone has to suffer cuz of that. Drive into ANY bordering country in Western Europe and it's painfully obvious German roads suck. Your signage is old, moss covered, and far too small. Your abbreviations are unfathomable, much less at 160 km/h. Your on/off-ramps were designed for vehicular traffic in the 1960s with no separating barrier and sharp, decreasing-radius curves.  Most of your autobahns have zero left shoulder, and many don't have a right shoulder either. Your vehiclular traffic and population has grown, and yet you insist on keeping most of the mileage as 2-laners, resulting in hour-long congestion at any given time.

And then there are the roadworks. I'm sorry, but no other modern country takes SO LONG to complete any sort of widening, repair, or repaving work. Widening takes 3 years. Repaving 5km takes you the better part of 7 months. And the work zones are EVERYWHERE, forcing traffic to a grinding halt with 2m-wide lanes and contraflow......to look at the empty work zones. Yup, German construction works work only Monday-Friday, seemingly 8am to 5pm. Raining ? Guess no work. Holiday ? No work (but work zone remains). Too cold ? No work. You guys are :censor: LAZY.  :bang:

Compounding this are the abrupt changes in speed, lane pattern, exit/on-ramps, and lane width. Some exits are literally a 90° right-turn hidden behind cones and barriers. WTF?  ???  . "Oh but there was a sign back there" you say ? Sure there probably was, probably the size of an A3 piece of paper taked onto a small metal stick with font smaller than my text right now.  :banghead:

Look at the Netherlands. Look at France (admittedly privatised). Look at Luxembourg. Hell, North Carolina has better infrastructure. German pavement mostly sucks. It's lumpy, broken, poorly patched, and has lines are are not visible at night or when raining. Put some serious money and effort into modernisation. Throw money at private concessions to get work done QUICKLY, not over the next 5 years. Don't give me "balanced budget bull****" because I hate driving on your German autobahns. I don't mind paying tolls, having a 130km/h nationwide speed limit (110 when wet), or paying higher fuel taxes. I just want the damn infrastructure brought up to 2018 standards, not 1997 !!

/rant.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8969 on: April 29, 2018, 02:03:41 pm »
^  interesting.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8970 on: April 29, 2018, 02:09:21 pm »
Huh, would have thought ze Germans would have been top notch on this kind of thing.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8971 on: April 29, 2018, 02:51:42 pm »
Used to be excellent in the 90's.

I guess before they spent all their money rebuilding and paving Ireland, Poland, the DDR, etc

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8972 on: May 02, 2018, 07:38:28 pm »
So a little over year ago, I had home insurance and car insurance with Bel Air.  When I wanted to add the GC to the auto policy, they couldn't because they don't do commercial.  During the conversation, the storage of my lawn equipment came up.  Which is commercial, so they cancelled my home policy.  So I switched over everything to State Farm. 

I move at the end of May, State Farm wants $475 extra ($1632 a year) from my house in Burlington to the house in Ancaster.  Not sure why, the assessed value is nearly identical.

So I call Bel Air to get a quote, they want $1077, if I have the Entourage insured with them.  That's $555 difference! I asked them since I no longer keep my lawn mowers in the garage, I keep them in an enclosed trailer.  Sorry, if someone breaks in, and hurts themselves, they could sue you.  So why the heck am I paying business insurance. So they won't issue it to me.  Going to check for a 3rd option.  :censor: insurance companies. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #8973 on: May 02, 2018, 08:14:02 pm »
I've dived into the Highlander's rear suspension, and it looks like the bushings where the rear lower control arms meet the knuckle are toast - and they don't seem replaceable on the AWD models.  I might have to swap out the knuckles - and they're HELLA $$ and seem to be only OE sold.

>:(

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8974 on: May 02, 2018, 08:43:58 pm »
I've dived into the Highlander's rear suspension, and it looks like the bushings where the rear lower control arms meet the knuckle are toast - and they don't seem replaceable on the AWD models.  I might have to swap out the knuckles - and they're HELLA $$ and seem to be only OE sold.

>:(

Not sure how much.  But at what point is car to expensive to be worth to replace? Not saying this is the case, just curious.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8975 on: May 02, 2018, 09:11:24 pm »
The right side is the culprit, the knuckles are about $800 for the pair.  I might just replace one.  Not spending an extra $800 on the car would be penny wise and dollar foolish.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8976 on: May 02, 2018, 10:03:01 pm »
My uncle has a first gen CRV, 2003 more or less.  290k, needs calipers, rotors, and pads.  Can't' do any of the work himself.  He is looking at replacing it, but they are pretty silly, looking at new cars, long loans, low interest rates.  Have never really considered used, unless it was free or peanuts. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: May 02, 2018, 10:11:14 pm »
My uncle has a first gen CRV, 2003 more or less.  290k, needs calipers, rotors, and pads.  Can't' do any of the work himself.  He is looking at replacing it, but they are pretty silly, looking at new cars, long loans, low interest rates.  Have never really considered used, unless it was free or peanuts.

Yeah, the cost of new is so much more it makes no sense unless a car is beyond hope.  Even if I replace both rear spindles, the total bill for rebuilding front and rear suspensions (starting with the rear now, but front will come in a few weeks) will be <$2500.  Spending a couple grand to have the entire suspension refreshed is what, three payments on a new SUV?  The engine and trans are in fine form, the body is great, the interior cleans up like new, and the overall it's got a ton of life left.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #8978 on: May 03, 2018, 07:43:08 am »
Yeah sometimes it's worth it to do the repair . If the vehicle is generally reliable and you know how it's been maintained why buy another used vehicle and start over again. I kind of feel that way with my old truck. It hasn't cost me that much in the 2 years I have had it and it is now 20 years old.
People will sometimes get rid of a car not because it is junk . They are bored and want something new and shiny. That can be costly as well. We are car guys though. ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #8979 on: May 03, 2018, 07:58:16 am »
"They are bored and want something new and shiny"

Number one reason why people get a   Vehicle