Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2330948 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #3300 on: February 15, 2016, 09:59:55 am »
People that repeatedly say things or make promises they can't keep, or don't have a good chance of keeping. Just for the sake of apperances or a positive answer to avoid disappointing.

I have friends and acquaintences around the world. But whenever it comes down to Americans, it's overwhelmingly broken appointments. I drove up to ski today with the expectation I'd meet an acquaintence after he finished work at 17:00. "Sure, yeah that sounds great, see ya then" he says a couple days ago. It truly wasn't the only reason I went skiing (I love outdoor activities), but it was a reason I paid extra for an afternoon + evening ticket. Plus, I've skiied alone my whole life so it's nice to have a buddy to ski with. So I ski myself the afternoon, and around 16:40 I take a break and walk to the ski shop where he works........."oh, he just left, I think he went home" says an employee. At 17:15 I get a message "I'm at home" from him. Sad, but no surprise.  :banghead:

In a situation like that I would always confirm earlier in the day.

I have some friends that can be a bit like that and it's definitely frustrating. Like you said, I don't mind if people say "no". But last minute cancellations without real reasons bug me. Had that happen a couple times with a couple we're good friends with in the last few months and it definitely makes us less likely to make plans with them.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #3301 on: February 15, 2016, 10:42:39 am »
I have some friends that can be a bit like that and it's definitely frustrating. Like you said, I don't mind if people say "no". But last minute cancellations without real reasons bug me.

I take the scorched earth approach.  When you're my "friend" and you do that to me, you only get to do it once.   :)  You are then free to find other "friends" to treat that way, as I have zero room for rude and thoughtless people in my life.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #3302 on: February 15, 2016, 11:59:11 am »
I have some friends that can be a bit like that and it's definitely frustrating. Like you said, I don't mind if people say "no". But last minute cancellations without real reasons bug me.

I take the scorched earth approach.  When you're my "friend" and you do that to me, you only get to do it once.   :)  You are then free to find other "friends" to treat that way, as I have zero room for rude and thoughtless people in my life.

I'm nicer than that. Once a buddy of mine fell asleep early when I was supposed to crash at his place overnight before a bike race early next morning. Showed up after work at 21:00, knocked on his door, called him up multiple times, waited an hour......since I was 2h away from home, the best I could do was just find a local hotel and overnight there. Small college town deep in the mountains, so it wasn't easy or cheap but I even forgave that.

Confirming "day of" doesn't make things better because people are negligent on checking their mobiles thesedays. "Oh I didn't see that until just now" has been used so many times. Or the "my phone died" rubbish you and I hear so often.

Maybe it's an age/generation thing. Non-issue when I meet with former professors/older folk.  ???
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3303 on: February 15, 2016, 12:18:12 pm »
Most of my friends are also my climbing and skiing partners.  Maybe it's because we literally have each others lives in our hands during trips that we tend to be ridiculously reliable and considerate to each other.

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: February 15, 2016, 01:12:04 pm »
have zero room for rude and thoughtless people in my life.

And yet .. here you are  ;D ;D ;D

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #3305 on: February 15, 2016, 01:26:07 pm »

:rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: February 15, 2016, 03:28:32 pm »

:D :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3307 on: February 17, 2016, 02:41:19 pm »
Found an 8.8 rear end for the Mustang. Tracloc, 3.73 gear...$200. SOLD SOLD SOLD....till buddy guy gets back to me with, "oh the housing is bent I hope thats ok".... ::).....NO, thats no ok  >:(
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3308 on: February 18, 2016, 11:43:35 am »
My Dad calling up with a:

'My computer gave me an official Microsoft antivirus error message, and a phone number to call for support. When we called them up they wanted our credit card number, and we spent an hour on the phone with them insistent we had to pay to get this fixed. Mom was in tears and we finally took a chance and just hung up'.

'Did we do the right thing? Did we wreck our computer?'

Man, I hate scammers. He's 83 and ready to throw his computer away.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3309 on: February 18, 2016, 01:58:19 pm »

'My computer gave me an official Microsoft antivirus error message, and a phone number to call for support. When we called them up they wanted our credit card number, and we spent an hour on the phone with them insistent we had to pay to get this fixed. Mom was in tears and we finally took a chance and just hung up'.

>:( mother in law got the CRA spam call awhile , good thing she phoned us before telling them anything

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #3310 on: February 18, 2016, 02:44:07 pm »

Frikkin' weasels!  I had one of those guys call me from "Windows" once or twice to tell me my computer had a virus.  I strung him along for a minute or 2, then I told him I only had tablets.  Thanks for calling!  ;D
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #3311 on: February 18, 2016, 02:56:38 pm »

Frikkin' weasels!  I had one of those guys call me from "Windows" once or twice to tell me my computer had a virus.  I strung him along for a minute or 2, then I told him I only had tablets.  Thanks for calling!  ;D

Ha, ha, ha... I had the same thing happen and then he was arguing with me on the phone telling me it's very urgent & then I told him I only use Apple products at home (which I don't, cuz I refuse to drink the Apple Kool-Aid) and then he told me to f myself & hung up on me   :rofl:

I've told my Dad if they call him to ask him anything like that to just ask for a number to call back and that he'll have his son call them back.  Seems to work for him  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #3312 on: February 18, 2016, 04:26:30 pm »

>:( mother in law got the CRA spam call awhile , good thing she phoned us before telling them anything

My dad got a message from the "CRA" with a 613 number asking them to call them back. He called them back with his work phone. He works for the (real) CRA  ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:28:33 pm by pi314 »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #3313 on: February 18, 2016, 04:51:48 pm »
My dad got a message from the "CRA" with a 613 number asking them to call them back. He called them back with his work phone. He works for the (real) CRA  ;D
Saw something similar here too. Someone posting as a revenue agent, tried to scam a state revenue agency employee. Whoops.

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: February 18, 2016, 05:15:59 pm »

:rofl:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #3315 on: February 18, 2016, 11:01:58 pm »
I asked the last spammer if he was proud of the work he was doing.  The call ended with him cursing at me  :rofl2:
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: February 19, 2016, 07:22:20 am »
I noticed I slightly compressed an edge on my brand new skis the last time I was out.  I was a little over exuberant flying through the trees with not quite enough cover.

I don't think it will impact how they ski and a tune should take care of it..... but still.  I've used them 4 times.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3317 on: February 19, 2016, 09:01:22 am »
Ouch.  When we were at Revy I saw a poor guy with a brand new pair of DPS Wailers examining his deep core shot that had also torn the edge right out.  It was truly a sad thing.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #3318 on: February 19, 2016, 10:03:55 am »
I noticed I slightly compressed an edge on my brand new skis the last time I was out.  I was a little over exuberant flying through the trees with not quite enough cover.

I don't think it will impact how they ski and a tune should take care of it..... but still.  I've used them 4 times.

Oh that sucks!!  I took a few gouges out of my bases earlier this season at MSM & I wasn't happy at all, can't imagine how I'd be with that damage as my skis have only been used a total of 10 times maybe now.

I was a Fortune on Wednesday night & it was all bumps everywhere... big fluffy ones to bash thru, legs & lungs gotta great workout.  My 2 boys were pretty bagged after skiing it as well, figured my 10yr old on his 140's would've had the easiest time steering around the minefield of moguls   :rofl:  Watched a guy from the Skyline chair ski under the chair thru the trees on big fat rockered skis with ease, it was like he was in slow motion & just perfect rhythm.  Off to MSM tonight after work to ski tomorrow on the fresh 20cms that they're supposed to get overnight!  ;D

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #3319 on: February 19, 2016, 10:52:55 am »
People doing their post-run stretch on treadmills.

Are you #$%@#%^& kidding me? Get off the damn machine and go stretch on a mat like everyone else, you numpty!! 

The gym I go to has lots and lots of space to lay down a mat and stretch, yet this one old dude who only ever walks on the treadmill will shut off the machine when hes done and spend 10 minutes stretching on it while people wait.  I've never had to wait while he's done that.  If I'm ever in that situation, I'd be asking him to get off the machine for sure.