Author Topic: Wagonerrrroooo  (Read 65639 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Wagonerrrroooo
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2015, 10:54:25 am »
RE: The F31, no I did not because one look at the build and price got me to an eye watering $63k or something insane, plus its a 4cyl diesel. Not that its not a sweet engine but I simply did not see the value in the 3'er (same with most BMWs I find)

RE: The auto high beams, I mean it can't turn off just the left side high beam or just the right side, etc. if theres only oncoming traffic on one side. The advanced "shutters" version can do this.

RE: Nav - seems to be between $1500 and $1800 depending on the dealer. From what I can tell its indistinguishable from the "factory" Navigation.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2015, 11:27:13 am »
Awesome car, congrats! I've been on the Volvo site lately building the D4 AWD version of the V60 so I'm looking forward to your thoughts and experiences of the car.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2015, 12:03:35 pm »
Sweet! Still sore that I couldn't get the S4 in a Wagon / Avant. Did consider the V60 at the time, but for me manual trumpoed wagon, although it was a close run. Enjoy!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2015, 12:12:15 pm »
RE: The auto high beams, I mean it can't turn off just the left side high beam or just the right side, etc. if theres only oncoming traffic on one side. The advanced "shutters" version can do this.

Ah, ok. Didn't know that feature existed. I'm guessing it may not meet NA regulations.

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2015, 01:37:24 pm »
congrats..

slightly jealous if you actually got a 6-month subscription for the in-built modem.  For me there was just an empty sim-slot and I was told there was no service-provider and no 6-months free.  I probably wouldn't use it anyway so I didn't make a fuss.

Either way .. enjoy..

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2015, 01:42:04 pm »
Congrats, that is one very sexy Wagon!   :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2015, 01:55:37 pm »
Excellent!  How thick is the manual? ( corollary: How many pages devoted to seatbelts, airbags and fitting kiddy seats)   How many separate manuals? Are you going to read them...for info and to look for Easter Eggs?

I got my hands on the PDF manual...I don't think its too thick actually. Its actually fairly minimalist. I did notice there is a fair bit of "for your health and safety and wellbeing, as well as that of society at large and the environment" advice in there though.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2015, 06:02:00 pm »

I can't say I've ever driven where I've had oncoming traffic on BOTH sides...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2015, 07:44:36 pm »
Crikey, me likey!  Saw a couple of those Down Under this week and salivated freely when I saw them.  Imagine my surprise when upon returning from my trip and catching up on the forum and seeing that you had bought one!

Nice ride!!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2015, 09:10:48 pm »
Thank you all. :) Even RRocket. :)

I was reflecting on the journey to this point and tried to search if I had any buyers remorse. I have none.

The other cars that I considered all had some fatal flaw that rendered them a poor choice. You might not agree with the flaw in question, but in my mind it makes sense even after the fact, which is good.

Some ramblings on the other candidates.

Mercedes C400
It ended up not really being the mind blowing car I had foolishly expected. It is merely "very good". Unfortunately its also very expensive (I was looking at $63k+ MSRP) and there is something about the styling that is "off". The S-Class wears the language much better.

Mercedes E250 Bluetec
I really like this car, and I don't care that its slow. Problem though is that, other than the expense, is that I didn't feel as if I was "ready" for the E-Class. I didn't feel like I could "carry the image" properly at the age of 29, and it would very much send the wrong message professionally, especially right after a promotion.

So, some day perhaps. But not today.

Acura TLX SHAWD
The ACC on this car is really bad. Its very jerky and almost "binary" in it action. Also I hate touchscreens, but I could have gotten over that if the ACC was good. There is a lot of positives about it though.

Audi A3/S3 2.0T
Technically an exceedingly competent car. ACC works well. But the car itself looks runty, like a varsity athlete's chubby little brother. For the money involved, just wasn't seeing the value to me.

BMW 328/335
Its a great car, its just too much money. I was building a 335 and I ended up around $64k with options. For that kind of price I am going to get a C400. BMW reliability also scares me more than Mercedes as does the relative douchiness of the dealers compared to the corporate MB Toronto store.

Infiniti Q50
The car is fascinating and the Hybrid is an excellent powertrain, but the car just didn't speak to me. Not sure if its a sport sedan or a luxury sedan. Might be failing at both. Big discounts available. Nail in the coffin is that the ACC only holds the brakes at a full stop for 3 seconds before disengaging and allowing you to slowly creep into rear ending the car in front. Also, touchscreen.

Lexus IS350
ACC turns off under 25km/h or 40km/h or something. So that was never going to work. Also that awful mouse thing. There's a great car underneath, but Lexus did an Acura and almost deliberately screwed :censor: up.

So by process of elimination, the V60 wins. It beats out its S60 brother because its a wagon, and is therefore cooler.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2015, 09:35:06 pm »
Thank you all. :) Even RRocket. :)

I was reflecting on the journey to this point and tried to search if I had any buyers remorse. I have none.

Man..you've had the car a couple of days.  I certainly hope you don't have buyers remorse!

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2015, 09:38:01 pm »
Very nice!! Looking forward to reading about the ownership experience.

Northernridge

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2015, 09:51:54 pm »
You get full marks for reporting so thoroughly on your buying process.  :)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2015, 10:01:13 pm »
You get full marks for reporting so thoroughly on your buying process.  :)

It is helpful to write things down. Clarifies thought. Helps you remember why you made certain decisions.

George Soros is a big fan of keeping a diary of all of your investment thoughts and trading ideas.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2015, 10:06:15 pm »
Congratulations again and slightly off topic, but it still boggles my mind how you would drive down the DVP in rush hour using active cruise control. :)

Maybe I just need to see it in action first hand.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2015, 10:09:19 pm »
Congratulations again and slightly off topic, but it still boggles my mind how you would drive down the DVP in rush hour using active cruise control. :)

Same here.  Just laziness IMO. 

But hey...whatever floats your boat.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2015, 10:10:22 pm »

Once I go back to commuting (soon, a few weeks) I'll post the video from the dashcam in its 75 minutes of glorious entirety. :P

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2015, 10:13:19 pm »

Once I go back to commuting (soon, a few weeks) I'll post the video from the dashcam in its 75 minutes of glorious entirety. :P

You know at this point I may actually watch it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2015, 10:38:25 pm »

Oh yea!  Did you move the dashcam from the TL..or is this a brand new model dashcam just for this car?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2015, 11:06:01 pm »

Oh yea!  Did you move the dashcam from the TL..or is this a brand new model dashcam just for this car?

I got a new one. Skyview G6 or something.