Author Topic: Weird F-150 Aluminum Body Comparison Test  (Read 9826 times)

Northernridge

Re: Weird F-150 Aluminum Body Comparison Test
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 11:47:23 am »
Blind spot monitoring is so unnecessary - if people understood how to adjust their mirrors properly.  When you leave my central rear-view you enter one of the side mirrors.  When you leave the side mirrors, you enter my field of vision.  Boom - no $900 per sensor gadgets needed.  I've never run into anyone, never been honked at, no close calls at all - know where everyone is easily.

Drive a Lambo or similar?  Use you 500hp plus to "move forward" into openings and try to drive in light traffic which is way more fun anyway.

Better solution, aspherical mirrors.

When I had them on the CLK, coupled with the lack of a B-pillar and the rear headrests folded down, there was literally zero blindspot. You could hardly even deliberately create one with badly adjusted mirrors. I could see two lanes over in each side mirror and most days didn't have to shoulder check. I could also simultaneously see a long way rearward in the adjacent lane too. Incredible stuff really.

Also had them on the Z4. That car has absolutely :censor: visibility with the top up so the mirrors turned it from abysmal to decent. Still felt like there was a nasty blind spot on the right side though, from two lanes over and slightly behind you. Just a fact of life with that thing.
I have aspherical mirrors as well as the "Jim McKenzie" mirror placement which is what John's mirror placement is/was called in Ont.  So I get very nearly 10 degrees of vision.

I've switched to the Jim McKenzie/johngenx method since joining the forum (probably becasue John and RR were blathering on about it somewhere  :)) and it is the answer. The Berlin taxi has a decently functional, but unnecessary blind spot warning system and I never use it and it never goes off anyhow.

McKenzie said it well – the side view mirrors are for looking at the sides.
I thought he said it a bit differently.
The side view mirrors are for looking  out to the sides, not at the sides (of your car).

A most helpful clarification.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Weird F-150 Aluminum Body Comparison Test
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 12:00:16 pm »
My issue with flat mirrors adjusted as per that method is that Yo cannot see down the lane very well. You need to use rearview but often that can be blocked, ie just having a bunch of rear passengers.

With aspherical side mirrors you don't even need a rearview mirror!
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 01:36:34 pm »
Blind spot monitoring is so unnecessary - if people understood how to adjust their mirrors properly.  When you leave my central rear-view you enter one of the side mirrors.  When you leave the side mirrors, you enter my field of vision.  Boom - no $900 per sensor gadgets needed.  I've never run into anyone, never been honked at, no close calls at all - know where everyone is easily.

Drive a Lambo or similar?  Use you 500hp plus to "move forward" into openings and try to drive in light traffic which is way more fun anyway.

Better solution, aspherical mirrors.

When I had them on the CLK, coupled with the lack of a B-pillar and the rear headrests folded down, there was literally zero blindspot. You could hardly even deliberately create one with badly adjusted mirrors. I could see two lanes over in each side mirror and most days didn't have to shoulder check. I could also simultaneously see a long way rearward in the adjacent lane too. Incredible stuff really.

Also had them on the Z4. That car has absolutely :censor: visibility with the top up so the mirrors turned it from abysmal to decent. Still felt like there was a nasty blind spot on the right side though, from two lanes over and slightly behind you. Just a fact of life with that thing.
I have aspherical mirrors as well as the "Jim McKenzie" mirror placement which is what John's mirror placement is/was called in Ont.  So I get very nearly 10 degrees of vision.

I've switched to the Jim McKenzie/johngenx method since joining the forum (probably becasue John and RR were blathering on about it somewhere  :)) and it is the answer. The Berlin taxi has a decently functional, but unnecessary blind spot warning system and I never use it and it never goes off anyhow.

McKenzie said it well – the side view mirrors are for looking at the sides.
I thought he said it a bit differently.
The side view mirrors are for looking  out to the sides, not at the sides (of your car).

A most helpful clarification.

I need to try a bit more on the Odyssey, but I'm actually having trouble positioning my mirrors using that method. I had no problem in the Rondo, or my Dad's Corolla, and the focus has the handy blindspot mirrors in the corner.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 02:45:32 pm »
My issue with flat mirrors adjusted as per that method is that Yo cannot see down the lane very well. You need to use rearview but often that can be blocked, ie just having a bunch of rear passengers.

Exactly, adjust for blindspots then they are no good for backing up.

The add on blind spot mirrors solve it for me.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 02:51:20 pm »
Yes, I use my side mirrors regularly for backing up, so that other adjustment method is useless for me. Besides, it's not even necessary if one does a proper shoulder check. I've tried it on numerous occasions and remain unconvinced.

And his name is Jim Kenzie, BTW.