Author Topic: LED lights  (Read 50582 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: LED lights
« Reply #120 on: March 15, 2016, 03:01:08 pm »

Most of the ceiling fixtures of my house have the GU24 type sockets:

Anybody know where I'd be able to find them?

https://www.amazon.ca/FOME-Pack-GU24-Adapters-GIFT/dp/B011I3XE9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458061098&sr=8-1&keywords=GU24

Nice find, but that is a ridiculous solution for a compatibility problem that should have never existed in the first place.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #121 on: March 15, 2016, 04:11:00 pm »
At Costco they had 4ft led tubes for about $24 for 2
I haven't yet seen any soft white LED tubes in a retail store. The Costco ones were daylight IIRC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2016, 04:34:16 pm »
The problem now is that there are more light sources/bulbs out there than you can shake a stick at. You need a degree to understand it all.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2016, 04:42:12 pm »
The problem now is that there are more light sources/bulbs out there than you can shake a stick at. You need a degree to understand it all.

So, you could say that lights make for heavy reading.   :rofl: :rofl:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2016, 09:23:21 am »
these NEW'er Bulbs are not all they are CRACKED up to be...............read their life cycle......forced upon us :'( :'( :'(
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2016, 04:47:28 pm »

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2016, 05:06:33 pm »
Deja vu again....

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=90537.0

I thought so!  I've been busy, but the threads have now been merged.  Thanks, Tom!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2016, 06:29:15 am »
Sale at Costco

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
LED lights
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2016, 07:32:45 am »
FYI, I bought two packs of the top ones for the range hood but they flicker on the low setting so they're going back.

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2016, 08:08:19 am »
Many LED lights flicker when dimmed.  Could be fixed with a different power supply in the bulb ( more expensive) or with a specialized dimmer...which probably wouldn't work well with incandescent bulbs.   Could combine both with LED lights like the HUE and others that are 'smart'    My HUE bulbs do not flicker at any brightness level...but they are not cheap

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2016, 09:51:33 am »
We just bought some 50 W equivalent (500 lumens or so) FEIT Electric brand LEDs for our pot lights.  GU10 base.  We bought them at Canadian Tire for $20 (pack of 2).

It was an experiment as I had also noted that there are 35 W equivalent LEDs for the same job.  Some are 3000K while others are 2700K for a warmer light.  We found that they were brighter than our existing 50 W halogen lights.  Interesting as the wattage is judged to be equivalent but clearly the results say otherwise. 

The LEDs are great with the dimmer, btw.  No flicker and a fairly continuous dimming down to about 20-30% (or so), then the halogen keep dimming while the LEDs maintain   their light levels.

Next step is to try the 35 W equivalent and see how they compare.  It might sound like an expensive experiment but I'm sure we'll find a use for the LEDs that we find too bright.  I can think of one room already where I do want a boost in the light levels so they might be in use quickly.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2016, 01:18:39 pm »
LED update:

Saturday saw us changing 30 light bulbs, from halogen to LED. We had experimented with a few over the summer until we found the one we wanted.  In the end, the Philips 2700 K (dimming) 5 w bulb won out as best light balance and performance.  No flicker and able to dimmed to a very soft dim warm glow.

https://www.amazon.ca/PHILIPS-Indoor-Flood-2700K-2200K-3-Pack/dp/B01BM72DIG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474305348&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+2700k+gu10+led

So, we bought a bunch of Philips 2700K dimming GU10 LEDs from Amazon last week. Now all the new ones are in and we should see a significant difference in our Hydro bill. We had put in 6 during the summer and saved enough over two months to pay for a 3 pack of the bulbs.

One immediate improvement was on reduced heat from our lights. The halogens (50 w dimming) produced so much heat that it was uncomfortably warm in the rooms where they had been running even for a short while. The LEDs (5 w dimming) had no such issues.

Another immediate improvement: safety. The halogens have glass covers on them, keeping dirt and fingers from the bulbs. The problem is that they fall out occasionally, dropping a piece of glass hot enough to melt the finish on our wood floors. Imagine that hitting someone's head.

We have a about 20 to 30 to go but we will see how we do on the new ones first. Some are used so rarely, that we might just keep the now idle halogens to act as replacements.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2016, 01:22:18 pm »
30 done, and 20-30 more to go???  Do you live in a football stadium?   :rofl2:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2016, 01:33:22 pm »
We had experimented with a few over the summer until we found the one we wanted.  In the end, the Philips 2700 K (dimming) 5 w bulb won out as best light balance and performance.  No flicker and able to dimmed to a very soft dim warm glow.

I bought PAR20 LEDs for the basement pot lights this past spring from Canadian tire (Noma brand I believe) as they were on sale.  However, the bulbs had a very noticeable hum when dimmed, and yes I have LED dimmers installed  ;D.  I did a little research on the interwebs and found that it is a common problem, however one test I read had the Phillips as the quietest bulbs.  So, we went with Phillips and they worked great, no hum.  Canadian tire took back the bulbs no questions asked.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2016, 01:34:07 pm »
30 done, and 20-30 more to go???  Do you live in a football stadium?   :rofl2:

More like an art gallery with all the stuff we've hung.   :rofl2:

We live in a place that had been renovated.  The previous owners went pot light crazy, putting in several lights per room.  The dining room has 14, while the living room has 12, giving us 26 in just two rooms.   :o :o  Those two are big rooms, mind you; almost 200 sq. ft. per room.

The bedrooms have about 8-10 each, with a small office having 5 or 6.  Finally the hallways total another 12.  So, there you go.  A whack of lights.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2016, 01:41:59 pm »
I finally figured out who Random is:

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2016, 06:11:20 pm »
We had experimented with a few over the summer until we found the one we wanted.  In the end, the Philips 2700 K (dimming) 5 w bulb won out as best light balance and performance.  No flicker and able to dimmed to a very soft dim warm glow.

I bought PAR20 LEDs for the basement pot lights this past spring from Canadian tire (Noma brand I believe) as they were on sale.  However, the bulbs had a very noticeable hum when dimmed, and yes I have LED dimmers installed  ;D.  I did a little research on the interwebs and found that it is a common problem, however one test I read had the Phillips as the quietest bulbs.  So, we went with Phillips and they worked great, no hum.  Canadian tire took back the bulbs no questions asked.

Try keeping one bulb as a regular bulb. That works in one place in our house...

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2016, 09:52:16 am »
Well, the energy cost results are in and they are spectacular.  :) :thumbup: :banana:

The 30 new LEDs have been in place for just under a month (+ 6 more installed in August) and my bill is down about 40%.  Our consumption went from 1700 KWh (approx) a year ago down to 1000 KWh for the same period this year.

Better still, is that the savings should increase even more.  We installed the lights partway through the billing cycle (Hydro Quebec uses a 2 month billing cycle), which means that the true savings are probably closer to 60 - 70%.  The savings on the electric bill will have paid for all the bulbs within a year or so.

Best of all, we still have a couple of rooms to go and the bulbs have dropped in price considerably.  Me likey.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 09:55:06 am by random006 »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2016, 10:39:50 am »
Well, the energy cost results are in and they are spectacular.  :) :thumbup: :banana:

The 30 new LEDs have been in place for just under a month (+ 6 more installed in August) and my bill is down about 40%.  Our consumption went from 1700 KWh (approx) a year ago down to 1000 KWh for the same period this year.

Better still, is that the savings should increase even more.  We installed the lights partway through the billing cycle (Hydro Quebec uses a 2 month billing cycle), which means that the true savings are probably closer to 60 - 70%.  The savings on the electric bill will have paid for all the bulbs within a year or so.

Best of all, we still have a couple of rooms to go and the bulbs have dropped in price considerably.  Me likey.
Good news!
I also have a ton off Halogens I want to change over. Some are MR16 with the small pin spacing. As I understand it, you can now purchase direct replaceable LED bulbs in the same MR16 form factor. Are they truly fit, form replaceable or do I need to swap out some of the wiring and socket bits? Similarly, I have other Halogens which are the GU10 form factor - are there direct replaceable LED GU10 bulbs that are plug and play?
In our kitchen w have eight bulbs with each being 50W. Can I replace each with a 5W LED and not have any drop in brightness?
Certainly, everyone is feeling these new hydro rates and thus need to save however we can. It sounds like thse LED's are the way to go to save significantly.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2016, 10:42:43 am »

Good news!
I also have a ton off Halogens I want to change over. Some are MR16 with the small pin spacing. As I understand it, you can now purchase direct replaceable LED bulbs in the same MR16 form factor. Are they truly fit, form replaceable or do I need to swap out some of the wiring and socket bits? Similarly, I have other Halogens which are the GU10 form factor - are there direct replaceable LED GU10 bulbs that are plug and play?
In our kitchen w have eight bulbs with each being 50W. Can I replace each with a 5W LED and not have any drop in brightness?
Certainly, everyone is feeling these new hydro rates and thus need to save however we can. It sounds like thse LED's are the way to go to save significantly.
Railton

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/search.products.html?autoSuggest=keyword#!q=led mr16:relevance