Author Topic: Here’s why you want a new car and not a used one  (Read 45508 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
Re: Here’s why you want a new car and not a used one
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2014, 11:10:11 am »
If you add enough qualifiers you can be right.  But that's not my point lol

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2014, 11:17:10 am »
I guarantee you I can buy a 2014 Brown Taco today.  They made 1000's of them.

Just might not be brand new anymore.  But like I said, unless you are stuck on something ultra specific then sure.

But for 1000's and 1000's of dollars I'm willing to bend on a few items.
You have bought new cars in the past , so let Blotter have the joy of have a new truck, ;D even if it is a baby one  :stick:

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2014, 11:50:06 am »

Just might not be brand new anymore.  But like I said, unless you are stuck on something ultra specific then sure.

You have bought new cars in the past , so let Blotter have the joy of have a new truck, ;D even if it is a baby one  :stick:

I get the point.
but this was a new purchase as oposed to buying a used vehicle or leasing a new one.
This time and for the first time, I wanted to buy the exact spec and colour I wanted with NO compromises.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2014, 12:22:07 pm »

I get the point.
but this was a new purchase as oposed to buying a used vehicle or leasing a new one.
This time and for the first time, I wanted to buy the exact spec and colour I wanted with NO compromises.
You should buy whatever you want  ;D

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2014, 12:45:08 pm »
This thread brings up a question for you car sales folks:
Where do most customers fall on the "time versus specificity" spectrum for new cars? 
In other words, how many people just want A car, and will compromise on colour, options, etc as long as it is in stock? 
How many people are like Blotter, and will only buy the EXACT car they want - and are willing to wait for a dealer trade, or even a factory order?  Obviously on this forum there are lots of ppl who have put in factory orders, and waited many months for their dream vehicle.  But we're not exactly a representative sample!

Related to that topic, I'm assuming there's usually more haggling room for vehicles on the lot?  For example, assume a customer wants a car in a certain colour.  It isn't available on the lot, but the identical car/trim in a different colour is on the lot.  If the discount on the in-stock car (versus the preferred, but not currently available, car) was sufficient, maybe the customer would compromise and take it? Would the dealer be more willing to negotiate on the car they already have, versus the car they'd have to trade for/order?  Or does it not make any difference? OTOH, are customers willing to pay a premium for a car on the lot, just so they don't have to wait?

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2014, 01:01:10 pm »
I'm assuming there's usually more haggling room for vehicles on the lot?  For example, assume a customer wants a car in a certain colour.  It isn't available on the lot, but the identical car/trim in a different colour is on the lot.  If the discount on the in-stock car (versus the preferred, but not currently available, car) was sufficient, maybe the customer would compromise and take it? Would the dealer be more willing to negotiate on the car they already have, versus the car they'd have to trade for/order?

I'll let the sales folks give us the inside on that, but my experience proved me wrong.
I also assumed that if it's on the lot, I might get a better deal.  When I got the Matrix, I played up not wanting white (I actually would have preferred another colour) but I knew I wasn't going to keep it.   So I said, I'm willing to take the white one here off your hands if it means getting a better deal.  Not sure if I really got a better deal.

Now with the Tacoma, I had sat down and talked about numbers before.  (what's the best discount...)
When I finally decided to buy, we found out there was one final brown Taco in Ontario. 
I actually assumed I wouldn't get the same deal.  It was a dealer trade and they knew this is what I wanted.
However, as promised, I got the deal they initially stated.   The dealer trade was dead simple. 
He called the other dealership to confirm it wasn't sold, asked if they could make a swap and within seconds the local dealer changed one of his orders for a Tundra to be delivered to the dealership with the Taco and after that was one, he was able to see that dealer "flipped" the Taco to the local dealer's inventory.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2014, 06:06:55 pm »
as a last option flip... you can get a better deal on in stock for sure...

most of the time the difference of the 100-200 bucks it costs the dealer to get isn't going to be the end of a deal to trade for a car... so usually the price originally worked out will be on an in-stock or a locate...

but, in a case where the deal will fall apart, if you can swap for an in stock car... the dealership will do everything possible... i just sold an slt truck at dead cost because i was out of sxt's...  made the gap a little smaller... small enough that they said sure, we'll take that one.

but we will not do that just on any deal... at some point in some deals we decide it's better to let it go... after all, if we aren't making a penny, why bother? but if it's a case where the salesperson, a manager (who located the vehicles) and other staff all have a lot of time invested in a real buyer... it's hard to walk away from a deal. so we'll pull all the punches and sell a car in stock using every penny we would ever make on it.

so i guess what i'm saying is that in negotiating, yes, an in-stock car should be cheaper.. but not by enough to make a difference (in my opinion.. like 1-200 bucks). and to me, a colour or option that i want is worth that. or just buy a car when stock isn't depleted or ordering is available and get it built.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2014, 08:37:24 pm »
In my case, I couldn't do a factory order on a 2015 Mazda6 GS in red with manual (on the website I can), they weren't taking orders.  I didn't ask why not.  Basically they said for model year 2015, they didn't have any Mazda6 in GS trim with manual.  So even buying new sometimes you don't get what you want.  I wasn't going to pay thousands extra for a GT, nor was I going to settle and get an automatic.  Although the wife wishes I did, that way we could get the GS with the luxury group in tan leather.  So I saved so many and went with the base model.  One thing I really wanted is the smart keyless entry.  Wonder if there is a way to get that aftermarket? 

Online 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2014, 08:39:20 pm »
In my case, I couldn't do a factory order on a 2015 Mazda6 GS in red with manual (on the website I can), they weren't taking orders.  I didn't ask why not. Basically they said for model year 2015, they didn't have any Mazda6 in GS trim with manual.  So even buying new sometimes you don't get what you want.  I wasn't going to pay thousands extra for a GT, nor was I going to settle and get an automatic.  Although the wife wishes I did, that way we could get the GS with the luxury group in tan leather.  So I saved so many and went with the base model.  One thing I really wanted is the smart keyless entry.  Wonder if there is a way to get that aftermarket? 

??? ??? Why didn't you ask? It seems like the dealer wanted to clear his inventory?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2014, 08:52:01 pm »
In my case, I couldn't do a factory order on a 2015 Mazda6 GS in red with manual (on the website I can), they weren't taking orders.  I didn't ask why not. Basically they said for model year 2015, they didn't have any Mazda6 in GS trim with manual.  So even buying new sometimes you don't get what you want.  I wasn't going to pay thousands extra for a GT, nor was I going to settle and get an automatic.  Although the wife wishes I did, that way we could get the GS with the luxury group in tan leather.  So I saved so many and went with the base model.  One thing I really wanted is the smart keyless entry.  Wonder if there is a way to get that aftermarket? 

??? ??? Why didn't you ask? It seems like the dealer wanted to clear his inventory?

He explained it was Mazda Canada.  Not his dealership, even checked another.  And my Mazda6 didn't come from his dealership, they had to buy it.  Maybe it's an issue that Mazda Canada decides how many vehicles/packages will be made for a certain MY, then the factory builds them?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2014, 08:54:32 pm »
^^WOW.  Real shock they are having a hard time selling cars then, eh?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2014, 09:27:07 pm »
^ Gimme a break, a bigger company like Honda, go to build an Accord, 4 colours!  At least with Mazda, there is 4 on the base model, 5 on the GS, and GT.  But no red on the GS with manual.  So it's not like the issue is limited to Mazda!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2014, 09:42:23 pm »
6 colours on the higher trim Accords.   :shuffle:

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2014, 09:53:09 pm »
White black grey silver red blue?  Lol

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2014, 09:56:38 pm »

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2014, 10:00:48 pm »
Yes

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2014, 10:40:29 pm »
6 colours on the higher trim Accords.   :shuffle:

Only on the V6 touring, which is auto only, which is also probably less than 5% of sales.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2014, 10:42:04 pm »
White black grey silver red blue?  Lol

Sorry don't follow?