Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Ford Transit Connect; Day 1  (Read 18747 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2014 Ford Transit Connect; Day 1
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2014, 09:21:12 pm »
This is hilarious, I was wondering why a thread would be so long on a vehicle that isn't for the masses.  And of course I was right, practically 2 pages of headlights! 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2014, 10:59:24 pm »

And that's fair, but a certain onus should also be on the consumer to do a test drive at night to make sure that they are happy with the lighting system's performance. But in the event that they didn't and aren't happy, they should still have sense enough to drive according to the lights they have and not according to the lights they wish they had.
They let you guys test drive cars overnight?  ???

I would have reconsidered my Mazda 3 had I realised that the bi-xenons are lacking on full beam and the adaptive headlight function is not as quick or responsive as the Germans.....

The whole world just needs to harmonise on ONE set of light standards so there's no excuse for manufacturers to cheap out or wimp out on headlight beam patterns.

Well, yeah. The last three or four cars I bought were offered to me for the weekend. I've had other offers, but I only do that if I'm already quite sure I'm going to be buying.

But it's dark here before dealer evening hours through half the year, so getting an after dark test drive is pretty easy.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2014, 11:05:05 pm »
I'm inclined to agree...this remains a glowing review, but weak headlights are a massive concern - especially if a van is being used for late-night driving after a long day of working/moving/constructing/whatever.  As a lawyer, I'd be all over this sh!t for liability, and thereafter insurance premiums would skyrocket for the owner of such a van.

...not that Ford could care less.

If they meet federal standards, how exactly is this a liability issue? If a driver is overdriving their headlights, they have only themselves to blame.

Regardless of whether the lights meet federal levels, at least in the Ford Explorer a better solution exists - but it's not available throughout the line. The Limited versions come with HIDs and they are much better. This is obviously an issue that Ford is aware of, yet sub-par headlights are what they deliver on a majority of their cars. The effectiveness of the non-HIDs are really not that good, and inclement weather only makes it worse. It's a liability issue because the light spread is poor. If you see anyone driving a Ford slowly in the rain, then you'll understand.

One guy's sub-par could be another's perfectly fine. I haven't had a car with what I'd consider inadequate lights in quite a long time.

If a person puts a priority on headlight quality, it really does fall on that person to make sure the lights are up to snuff on whatever car they're buying, and be prepared to get the uplevel lights if they aren't.

Personally, I can't see ever paying extra to get Xenons, LEDs or whatever flavour of the month in lighting ends up being.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2014, 01:06:00 am »

If a person puts a priority on headlight quality, it really does fall on that person to make sure the lights are up to snuff on whatever car they're buying, and be prepared to get the uplevel lights if they aren't.

Personally, I can't see ever paying extra to get Xenons, LEDs or whatever flavour of the month in lighting ends up being.

agree.

even if it's not LED or xenon, you can have pretty decent lighting, especially when the environment is very dark. 
I have both xenon(bimmer) and halogen(VW) and they both have excellent beam pattern, so when i drove out to a spot around nearby farmland to do some night sky watching, VW's light performed magnificently, even though it looks quite dark in town.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2014, 05:00:39 am »

agree.

even if it's not LED or xenon, you can have pretty decent lighting, especially when the environment is very dark. 
I have both xenon(bimmer) and halogen(VW) and they both have excellent beam pattern, so when i drove out to a spot around nearby farmland to do some night sky watching, VW's light performed magnificently, even though it looks quite dark in town.

You both are correct.  There is no reason why a halogen light cannot produce a good bright beam pattern especially now that the USA 'allows' lights with the ECE beam pattern. Flat top with a sharp cutoff on dipped with an uptick down the right side for illuminating the curb far ahead.  Until recently Consumer Reports used to whine about that sharp cutoff but they seem to have stopped now.
I don't think there is any real doubt that a projector light makes it easier to produce a good pattern but I suspect they cost more to make than a reflector...but then a REALLY good, well shaped reflector is rare on euro cars sold here and used to be non-existent on D3 and Japanese cars.

If any of you remember the Cibié 7" round replacement lamp that was sold "for off road use only"  with an H4 bulb....That was a REALLY good reflector and really bright of course compared to the sealed beams of the day. I have great hopes for these new matrixed LED lights that can change their beam pattern in real time to avoid dazzle and glare...once the legislators allow them.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2014, 08:43:33 am »
MY LX is halogen and they are really good, almost as good as xenon but not quite as bright -- I wonder if new bulbs would actually solve that as they do degrade over time.

But these were dismal.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2014, 11:34:42 am »
Well, yeah. The last three or four cars I bought were offered to me for the weekend. I've had other offers, but I only do that if I'm already quite sure I'm going to be buying.

But it's dark here before dealer evening hours through half the year, so getting an after dark test drive is pretty easy.
I don't live in a major metropolitan area so there's only one Mazda dealer within a 110km radius and they close at 19:00. Although I started the test driving about 7 months before ordering, it doesn't get dark quite as early here even in the winter due to my geographic location. Plus, I wrongly assumed that all xenons are created equal.......loved them in the BMWs I've driven in the past.

Halogens can be quite good. My dad's 2013 Tiguan has halogens that reach a good distance on full beam. In contrast, there are occasions where I will still outdrive the full beam on my Mazda 3 (which has bi-xenon) on undulating roads. One might think it is a matter of vehicle height, but the 2006 325i sportpaket I had sat even lower than the Mazda 3 and the bi-xenons on that car were great.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2014, 08:34:17 am »
MY LX is halogen and they are really good, almost as good as xenon but not quite as bright -- I wonder if new bulbs would actually solve that as they do degrade over time.

But these were dismal.

Must be similar to the ones in my F-150 as they are dismal indeed.  I've since supplemented them with aftermarket LEDs.