Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible  (Read 11923 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible
« on: October 20, 2014, 06:28:31 am »

Every generation needs a character car. This generation has Bumblebee.
Read More...

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 10:23:36 am »
The fact that this car continued to sell after its introductory period where the gotta-have-it bunch were satisfied continues to astound me. Cartoonish styling, tank-like lack of visibility, way too big and bulky, and an interior that is simply awful. Last year's refreshes did a bit to update it but addressed none of the fundamental flaws. I know a guy, full of enthusiasm, who ordered one prior to introduction, paid cash up-front sight unseen for an early SS, and when it finally showed up suffered severe buyers remorse. He hated driving it because of the cave-like atmosphere inside and inability to see the outside world, and finally unloaded it. But if it keeps selling I suppose GM figures why bother to improve it.

Kudos to the author for the photography, good work all-around. The animated GIF of the top retracting is a nice touch, and the gratuitous babe shot is appreciated.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:28:36 am »
Having driven all 3 pony cars in 2013, I can see where the appeal of the Camaro is, the powertrain in it is far better than the Mustang or Challenger.....everything else is a lot worse. The styling is weird, the interior plasticky and cheap and then there is that visibility....oh man, Ive sat in a M4 Sherman and yeah, that had almost the same feeling. I agree with Oldsguy, the Camaro seems to need some work, but man does it ever sell well. Great article.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 10:31:43 am »
The fact that this car continued to sell after its introductory period where the gotta-have-it bunch were satisfied continues to astound me. Cartoonish styling, tank-like lack of visibility, way too big and bulky, and an interior that is simply awful. Last year's refreshes did a bit to update it but addressed none of the fundamental flaws. I know a guy, full of enthusiasm, who ordered one prior to introduction, paid cash up-front sight unseen for an early SS, and when it finally showed up suffered severe buyers remorse. He hated driving it because of the cave-like atmosphere inside and inability to see the outside world, and finally unloaded it. But if it keeps selling I suppose GM figures why bother to improve it.

Kudos to the author for the photography, good work all-around. The animated GIF of the top retracting is a nice touch, and the gratuitous babe shot is appreciated.

I'm sure you'll be seeing more of her ;)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 10:37:19 am »

You realize there's an all new one coming out next year?

I think the Camaro looks good as a ZL1 or Z/28 or 1LE but agree about the looks on the standard SS. Interior is :censor:. The 3 I listed drive great.

Hopefully the new one addresses the interior a little bit. It already looks like the weight and chassis will be a huge improvement.

The Z28 does look a lot better on the outside, but the interior is still not that great. The Z28 is an absolutely amazing car though.....I would be stuck between it and C7 if I had the cash.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:42:41 am »
I like the little gauge pod they put ahead of the shifter.....very 1970 Chevelle SS......the seats are alright but the plastics...yuck.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Quick Spin: 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 11:28:41 am »

I agree on all of this.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 11:36:43 am »
I like the little gauge pod they put ahead of the shifter.....very 1970 Chevelle SS......the seats are alright but the plastics...yuck.

The pod is such a gimmick. Put it somewhere I can see it if you want to make it useful. I would never look down there while driving.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 11:39:27 am »

The pod is such a gimmick. Put it somewhere I can see it if you want to make it useful. I would never look down there while driving.

Oh of course it is.....just a wink and a nudge back to the muscle car era.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 12:11:10 pm »

Um, you mean that we'll be seeing her more often, yes?  :rofl2:

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 12:12:40 pm »

And more of her. Maybe next time I'll let the commentariat see her face and not just her bum.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 12:14:47 pm »
I rented a Camaro SS Convertible once for a week in Florida. What a disappointment.

Offline fixer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-234
    • View Profile
  • Cars: gm
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 01:28:53 pm »
fix the crap interior , lower the dash and lighten it up might help with the claustrophobic design.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 01:55:33 pm »

And more of her. Maybe next time I'll let the commentariat see her face and not just her bum.

Je me souviens!  ;D

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 01:59:24 pm »

I had no issue with what was shown. :)

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 02:04:17 pm »
I rented a Camaro SS Convertible once for a week in Florida. What a disappointment.

What was the bigger disappointment? The car? Or Florida? (Sorry couldn't help it)

Would have thought this would be the perfect cruise-in-the-sun type ride...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 03:57:56 pm »
Mark, as always, incredible. I applaud you for truly advancing automotive journalism by telling it like it is. The whole part about a kid (be it 4 or 40 years old) grabbing at a parent's shirt is spot-on and true. It took decades of bitching about the Mustang's handling to get a decent one, and same thing for the Camaro. With any luck, the next gen will include outward visibility as standard equipment.

I like movie cars. Having a 'celebrity' means that you feel emotionally involved with your car. I just wish that it was based in fact, and not engine-only cars with everything else being reasonable in a Tata.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 08:12:41 pm »

What was the bigger disappointment? The car? Or Florida? (Sorry couldn't help it)

Would have thought this would be the perfect cruise-in-the-sun type ride...

Both  :)......Car was heavy, unresponsive, ill handling, noisy, cartoony crap-plastic interior, uncomfortable seats, and could not fit luggage for two in trunk with the top down. After 3 trips to Florida I was done. Not much going on down there for people between 9 and 90.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 09:14:27 pm »
Well, at least the drop top version fixes the visibility problems. I've always liked the look of this car, and from the looks of the prototypes running around the next gen is going to look very similar.

If the Alpha Camaro can run with the current Z/28 and have a better interior and be a few hundred lbs lighter and smaller it'll be a winner.

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 10:24:59 pm »
Anyone hazard to guess what the best selling sports car in Canada is?