Author Topic: Off road kit  (Read 4753 times)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Off road kit
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 04:45:32 pm »
all i have with me are some d rings, a tow rope, a flashlight, knife, crappy saw and some gloves... in winter i'll use my hiking pack with shovel, probe, etc. as well...

handy to see these lists. with the expanding cell markets, do you guys find cb radios still usefull? seems like the one thing you always see on an off-roader, but i just have never needed one. must mean i don't go far enough off-road.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Northernridge

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2014, 04:59:53 pm »
Seems I'm either within cel range or nothing. For northern Manitoba and northwest Ontario I carry a come-and-rescue-me satellite beacon incase the worst happens.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2014, 05:13:27 pm »
all i have with me are some d rings, a tow rope, a flashlight, knife, crappy saw and some gloves... in winter i'll use my hiking pack with shovel, probe, etc. as well...

handy to see these lists. with the expanding cell markets, do you guys find cb radios still usefull? seems like the one thing you always see on an off-roader, but i just have never needed one. must mean i don't go far enough off-road.

I had a CB in my Jeep and it was great for trail rides, especially when we had 10+ rigs, you had coms with the front and rear and could see what was happening. A lot of the guys started going with the uhf/vhf radios or whatever, ham radio thing, I never bothered.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 05:23:42 pm »
Seems I'm either within cel range or nothing. For northern Manitoba and northwest Ontario I carry a come-and-rescue-me satellite beacon incase the worst happens.

I remember renting a satellite phone at our spouses request for a snowmobile adventure 15 years ago. Copious amounts of alcohol resulted in an invoice the would curl hair.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2014, 05:27:45 pm »
I usually have one of these in my pack as I'm often soloing, doing dangerous stuff, of have families along.  I don't like the SPOT units as they rely on a third party firm that charges annul fees.  The PLB units are buy up front, and hit the botton and SARS comes.  They use two frequencies and GPS, and has saved at least one of my friend's lives.

http://www.mcmurdomarine.com/personal-locator-beacon/fastfind-220

Northernridge

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 08:08:32 pm »
Here's mine...a slightly different model. Bought from MEC, I had to register the unit with the Canadian Beacon Registry as I recall. So if I should ever have to trigger it they'll know who I am, who to contact etc.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Off road kit
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 08:27:49 pm »
Basically the exact same device. A friend of mine was climbing North Twin on the Columbia Icefields and started suffering from severe HAPE. They hit the button and in short order a Parks rescue heli was on scene. Given his difficulty they flew to meet a ground ambulance and he was transported to Jasper and then to Edmonton. One the appeals to me about my outdoor activities has been that we're "on our own" but I now carry a PLB most of the time. One piece of "okay we can't solve this without someone dying" backup seems okay to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northernridge

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 08:41:24 pm »
I don't do anything that even resembles your self-propelled back country climbing, but I do end up in places where an immobilizing injury (or getting lost) would be serious. Also, my dad and his buddy are in their 70s and still like remote wilderness so I figure it's cheap insurance.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2014, 09:41:13 am »
never even thought about beacons and such... i use them if i am doing backcountry snowboarding.. but that seems to be a thing of my past now.. i'll have to see if it is something i can make work for this type of thing.