Author Topic: What "build and price" sites have you been on lately  (Read 226402 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
Re: What "build and price" sites have you been on lately
« Reply #660 on: May 07, 2018, 07:24:58 pm »
Trying to find the cheapest V8 powered muscle you can buy...and nothing's cheap.  So I figured I'd go trucks.  All 2WD with a V8, shorty 2 doors.

GMC.  Options are shyte.  Colour choices are shyte.  Can't get the 6.2 so you're stuck with the dog 5.3 if you just want a shorty 2WD truck.  But...I guess you could call this one cheap. Only options being ELSD (?), block heater and carpets.  $29,411 after almost $7600 in rebates.  No way the truck was worth over $35 to begin with... :P

Chevy Silverado. For only $30,656 you can get the same truck, but a "Black Out Edition"  Same $7584 in rebates. Same truck, better looking for minimal more $.  VMan's winter beater to match his summer beater.

Ford...XL with Sport appearance pkg...5.0 V8, 10 spd auto (only 6 spd in Chevy/GM twins), similarly equipped with air, cruise, windows, locks and ltd slip (but no nice wheel otions!) and it's almost $6000 more! $36,409 to be exact.  So some parts better (engine, transmission, looks... ;)) but $6g better?  :think: :P...mmm...I dunno.

Did RAM a while back for kicks...and it's even more.  IIRC.  So no point.  Maybe if it didn't take an hour and run me out of time, I would.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #661 on: June 11, 2018, 10:39:09 am »
You can build and price the new Volvo V60 now. It starts at $44,900 vs. $43,850 for the outgoing model. But the base model is now FWD instead of AWD. You can get the T5 FWD or T6 AWD.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #662 on: June 14, 2018, 07:13:41 am »
2019 RDX looks good.. I like the standard ACC and the low-speed follow thing.
Even their instrument control seems promising given that it's a brand new thing they're doing.
It's around 600-700/month range for a 4-year lease including HST. Not bad since a comparable German or Volvo would cost a couple hundred more.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #663 on: June 22, 2018, 03:29:26 pm »
Not a crossover fan; but having seen so many of these around and having visited the factory, built a Peugeot 3008. Prices are TTC.

Opted for the top spec petrol motorisation even if it doesn't have the latest EAT8 transmission, and honestly I wouldn't want a manual gearbox in a crossover. Since I do a bunch of inter-city driving, the massaging seats are nice.

http://www.peugeot.fr/gamme/nos-vehicules/suv-3008/design.html
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:32:38 pm by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #664 on: June 28, 2018, 09:34:29 am »
Built a new V60. Added no options, just paint and it came to $50G before freight/pdi and taxes. Was hoping it would show me their "rental" pricing but it did not.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 28, 2018, 09:36:09 am »
Built a new V60. Added no options, just paint and it came to $50G before freight/pdi and taxes. Was hoping it would show me their "rental" pricing but it did not.

Is that for the FWD T5 or AWD T6?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #666 on: June 28, 2018, 09:44:09 am »

Is that for the FWD T5 or AWD T6?

AWD T6....Guess that would help if I said that.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #667 on: June 30, 2018, 02:06:44 pm »
All of them.

One wouldn't think that designing what is basically a catalogue website would be that difficult. One would be wrong. Fiatsler is a PITA. BMW is better than it was but still could use some updates. VAG isn't too bad for the most part. Ford and GM are kinda meh, but I could configure stuff well enough. Toyota and Honda likewise.

Nothing is really grabbing my attention. The pony cars add up pretty quickly. They aren't out of the question though. Not interested in SUV/CUV's really.

Not much at GM or Ford aside from maybe the Regal Sportback, the Focus ST and of course the Mustang and Camaro. Honda Accord 2.0 is still on the list, really don't care for the looks of the Civic. Nothing at Fiatsler. Nothing at Nissan. Not really into Mazda aside from the MX-5.

VW has the GTI, of course and I could do with another Passat. The Passat GT trim looks pretty good and the 3.6 hauls. I'll be interested in the GLI when it appears. Audi doesn't do an A3 with the stick, which is odd.

Toyota doesn't have much beyond the 86 that I really want. The Prius or it's derivatives would be great fuel savers, but I don't drive much, and I hate the looks inside and out. Lexus has something like $5k on the IS300. Inside is fine. Outside is butterface, but not a deal breaker.

Subaru has the WRX, but without the hatch it looks awkward. Not a deal breaker.   

So I guess pony car, GTI, Focus ST, WRX, Regal, Passat, Accord, Lexus IS 300. Longshot would be 86/BRZ, maybe Prius.

Nothing if not eclectic. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 02:39:56 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #668 on: June 30, 2018, 02:35:41 pm »
All of them.

One wouldn't think that designing what is basically a catalogue website wouldn't be that difficult. One would be wrong. Fiatsler is a PITA. BMW is better than it was but still could use some updates. VAG isn't too bad for the most part. Ford and GM are kinda meh, but I could configure stuff well enough. Toyota and Honda likewise.

Nothing is really grabbing my attention. The pony cars add up pretty quickly. They aren't out of the question though. Not interested in SUV/CUV's really.

Not much at GM or Ford aside from maybe the Regal Sportback, the Focus ST and of course the Mustang and Camaro. Honda Accord 2.0 is still on the list, really don't care for the looks of the Civic. Nothing at Fiatsler. Nothing at Nissan. Not really into Mazda aside from the MX-5.

VW has the GTI, of course and I could do with another Passat. The Passat GT trim looks pretty good and the 3.6 hauls. I'll be interested in the GLI when it appears. Audi doesn't do an A3 with the stick, which is odd.

Toyota doesn't have much beyond the 86 that I really want. The Prius or it's derivatives would be great fuel savers, but I don't drive much, and I hate the looks inside and out. Lexus has something like $5k on the IS300. Inside is fine. Outside is butterface, but not a deal breaker.

So I guess pony car, GTI, Focus ST, WRX, Regal, Passat, Accord, Lexus IS 300. Longshot would be 86/BRZ, maybe Prius.

Nothing if not eclectic.
Are you trying to justify buying out your Passat  ;D

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 30, 2018, 02:40:53 pm »
All of them.

One wouldn't think that designing what is basically a catalogue website wouldn't be that difficult. One would be wrong. Fiatsler is a PITA. BMW is better than it was but still could use some updates. VAG isn't too bad for the most part. Ford and GM are kinda meh, but I could configure stuff well enough. Toyota and Honda likewise.

Nothing if not eclectic.
Are you trying to justify buying out your Passat  ;D

Sounds like it, doesn't it?  ;D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-455
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #670 on: June 30, 2018, 07:36:38 pm »
How did the Dodge Challenger not make the short list? 

Personally I think I'd buy a base model Nissan 370Z over the BRZ/GT86. 

Did you consider any of the Hyundai/Kia products?  Veloster and Stinger both look good to my eyes.

Which build and price did you like most?  We all know Dodge has the worst by far.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 30, 2018, 08:52:02 pm »
I guess I lumped the Challenger in with the pony cars. It's kinda too big to be called that. Muscle car really.

My next door neighbour had a Veloster Turbo. It spent a lot of time in the shop. The DCT was problematic, and I think the infotainment was acting up. That kind of turned me off a bit. Stinger is cool, but for that money I'd get a Mustang, Camaro or Challenger. 

I guess I never really remember that the Z is still around.

I'm not sure any of the sites were really my favourite. Ford, GM, Toyota and VW sites I found worked well enough. They all kinda get glitchy if you change your mind and try to go back on an option. It would be nice if you could just hover over option packages to get a list of what it contained.  Telling me that Package 101A is $1200 doesn't really mean much if I have no clue what it contains.

I think for the first time, I'm not really that enthusiastic about looking for a new car.  :-\

At least me and the Duke are getting along much better.  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 12, 2018, 03:36:35 pm »
I think the GTI might be the best option for you. Reasonably priced, and a great combo of comfort and performance/fun-to-drive factor.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #673 on: July 12, 2018, 03:50:44 pm »
I think the GTI might be the best option for you. Reasonably priced, and a great combo of comfort and performance/fun-to-drive factor.

Speaking of which, OliverD, how's your Mini doing? Still loving it? I've been playing around on the Mini configurator and the Clubman S/JCW really appeals as a daily/ski-mobile.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 12, 2018, 03:57:53 pm »

Speaking of which, OliverD, how's your Mini doing? Still loving it? I've been playing around on the Mini configurator and the Clubman S/JCW really appeals as a daily/ski-mobile.

Just got back from a nearly 4000 km road trip with it. It's a great car, with some caveats. The packaging isn't great - same exterior dimensions as a Golf but definitely less room. Some of the interior is a bit cheap compared to the GTI, some is better. I miss the felt-lined door pockets that kept things from rattling about, for example. Fuel economy can be good; I usually get between 9-10 L/100km but during the trip I was well into the 7s including 7.1 on my last tank. That tank was all on the 401 and the 20/30 in Quebec.

The car is a lot of fun to drive and mostly feels upscale in a way that the previous Minis couldn't. The real issue is how expensive they are; I wouldn't have mine if I didn't get an amazing deal on it. But I'm very happy with what I'm paying for it.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #675 on: July 12, 2018, 04:04:55 pm »
Been on the Volvo site looking at the XC40.       Most of the site works well enough but at the end there is a page where you can put in details about your trade.     
Refuses to admit my email is my email
Refuses to take any reasonable format for a phone number.
Only has drop downs for trade make and model and complains that it only allows a total of 15 characters
How    Audi   Q5   adds up to more than 15 we will never know.

And if you approach this a bit differently and let Volvo take my location then it absolutely insists that Oakville Volvo is my local dealer rather than Waterloo. ( Funnily enough Google maps says 46 minutes to W'loo and 44 minutes to Oakville  which I do not believe at all)
I cant go and buy a car in Oakville...I'm only a poor senior citizen not a baller like some of you guys.   :rofl:

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #676 on: July 12, 2018, 04:07:31 pm »

I think for the first time, I'm not really that enthusiastic about looking for a new car.  :-\

At least me and the Duke are getting along much better.  ;D

I guess buying out the Passat looks better everyday

Just add some flames , make it look hot !  ;D

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #677 on: July 12, 2018, 04:07:55 pm »

Just got back from a nearly 4000 km road trip with it. It's a great car, with some caveats. The packaging isn't great - same exterior dimensions as a Golf but definitely less room. Some of the interior is a bit cheap compared to the GTI, some is better. I miss the felt-lined door pockets that kept things from rattling about, for example. Fuel economy can be good; I usually get between 9-10 L/100km but during the trip I was well into the 7s including 7.1 on my last tank. That tank was all on the 401 and the 20/30 in Quebec.

The car is a lot of fun to drive and mostly feels upscale in a way that the previous Minis couldn't. The real issue is how expensive they are; I wouldn't have mine if I didn't get an amazing deal on it. But I'm very happy with what I'm paying for it.

Wow that's a heckuva long trip - nice! Right on man, thanks, and all noted. I do remember you saying you got a crazy deal on the JCW, and that you wouldn’t have gone for it otherwise. I’d probably be in the same boat, i.e. I would balk at paying MSRP. But I’m now realizing the Clubman does tick more boxes for me than pretty much any other car out there: comfy seats, manual transmission, AWD, good power, fun to drive, decent mpg’s, sunroof, hatch. It’s either this or a 4motion sportwagen w/tune and suspension mods. Gonna have to drive both! Thanks again.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-455
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #678 on: July 12, 2018, 04:17:56 pm »

Wow that's a heckuva long trip - nice! Right on man, thanks, and all noted. I do remember you saying you got a crazy deal on the JCW, and that you wouldn’t have gone for it otherwise. I’d probably be in the same boat, i.e. I would balk at paying MSRP. But I’m now realizing the Clubman does tick more boxes for me than pretty much any other car out there: comfy seats, manual transmission, AWD, good power, fun to drive, decent mpg’s, sunroof, hatch. It’s either this or a 4motion sportwagen w/tune and suspension mods. Gonna have to drive both! Thanks again.

What's wrong with the Golf R?

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 12, 2018, 04:40:05 pm »

What's wrong with the Golf R?

No sunroof.