Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 829719 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #920 on: January 11, 2015, 08:35:52 am »
Now that the HT i setup and running we hit up the Redbox for a couple of rentals.

Divergent
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1840309/

Not my pick but I watched it anyway. Interesting story but I'd never watch it again. Picture wasn't to eye candy levels but it did fit the feel of movie. Sound was very good and there was a lot of environmental sounds throughout the entire movie making great us of all the speakers. In the part where Tris is talking to Jeanine in her office there is the low rumbling motor like noise in the background where I actually thought there was something running in the house.

Into the Storm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106361/

TURN UP THE VOLUME TO 11 FOR THIS MOVIE. What a freak'n ride that was. One of the best sound mixes I have heard. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Picture quality was excellent and most of the movie is shot POV style but it works well here. I'll be watching for this movie to go on sale so I can add it to the reference collection.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #921 on: January 11, 2015, 09:16:04 am »
Now that the HT i setup and running we hit up the Redbox for a couple of rentals.

Divergent

Not my pick but I watched it anyway. Interesting story but I'd never watch it again. Picture wasn't to eye candy levels but it did fit the feel of movie. Sound was very good and there was a lot of environmental sounds throughout the entire movie making great us of all the speakers. In the part where Tris is talking to Jeanine in her office there is the low rumbling motor like noise in the background where I actually thought there was something running in the house.

Into the Storm

TURN UP THE VOLUME TO 11 FOR THIS MOVIE. What a freak'n ride that was. One of the best sound mixes I have heard. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Picture quality was excellent and most of the movie is shot POV style but it works well here. I'll be watching for this movie to go on sale so I can add it to the reference collection.

Is it more fun now that you have no neighbours to tick off?   :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #922 on: January 11, 2015, 09:39:13 am »

Divergent

Into the Storm

Is he in  on a country lot ?
We had kids living next door for awhile , they had the base turned up we heard and felted it in our house

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 11, 2015, 09:44:45 am »

Of course! While I won't say we listen to movies a lot louder than before it is nice to know I'm not disturbing my neighbours. Of course, I'm sure they might have felt some of Into the Storm as that movies really uses the sub and at very loud levels. I'm hoping that being in the basement will help keep as much of the sound out of the house next door.

The biggest plus is now if we want to listen to movies or music later at night we can play at normal volumes and not use any volume compression to suppress loud peaks.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #924 on: January 11, 2015, 07:26:08 pm »
Watched Birdman with Micheal Keaton at a cinema in Leicester Square in London (England).

Lets see - cinema was a 1980s small screen/deep auditorium, you had a choice of front middle or back reserved seating (which assigned you a seat in the last row of the theatre - don't ask). And tickets were £15 each - about $30.

Good think was a Haagen-Dazs ice cream parlour next door!  :)

The movie ... different. Great acting although weird story and camera work, so it took a while to warm up to the story and get into it.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #925 on: January 11, 2015, 09:50:38 pm »
Enemy - Really different, with a very unexpected ending. I've read a few theories about it, some of which make sense and others that don't. Jake Gyllenhaal is excellent, as you would expect.

The Drop - Really liked this a lot. Excellent cast: James Gandolfini (in his last role), Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, and John Ortiz.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #926 on: January 12, 2015, 06:48:55 am »

Divergent

[b]Into the Storm[/b]

Good endorsement.  This one is now on the must watch list.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 12, 2015, 06:53:09 am »

This will sound amazing on your system. Its not just because its loud (Its even louder than Expendables 3!) but the 3d like sound around your room. The sub doesn't go deep (lower limit is only 23hz) but there is plenty of it.

Will be interested in your thoughts once you watch it.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #928 on: January 12, 2015, 11:16:20 am »
not sure if it's ever been mentioned on this thread.

On Netflix, last night we watched a fantastic documentary "Chasing Ice"
it's basically a photographers project of photographing glaciers over a 5 year or more period.
This is an amazing movie but also pretty sad. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 12, 2015, 12:13:00 pm »
not sure if it's ever been mentioned on this thread.

On Netflix, last night we watched a fantastic documentary "Chasing Ice"
it's basically a photographers project of photographing glaciers over a 5 year or more period.
This is an amazing movie but also pretty sad.

But the ice has been melting since the last ice age.  ;D

Agree its a really good movie. Definitely worth a watch for anybody that hasn't seen it yet.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #930 on: January 14, 2015, 10:50:16 pm »
Blue Ruin - Low budget movie that was funded via Kickstarter. Liked it a lot.

Locke - The entire movie takes place in a BMW X5 that Tom Hardy is driving to London. He has various phone conversations with different people the whole time. Despite the odd premise it's an excellent movie.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #931 on: January 17, 2015, 02:23:26 pm »
Caught up on some movies on the plane this last trip: Expendables 3, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Equalizer, and an oldie 'All the Presidents Men'.

Enjoyed them all, Guardians so much so we watched it again on Blu-ray last night.

What a great show, so many clever details.

Offline mwqa

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +10/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Suzuki SX4
« Reply #932 on: January 18, 2015, 01:41:34 am »
Just finished Cinema Paradiso (1989) - the restored region B Arrow blu-ray release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stLekU5BnbI

Wow - wonderful acting and images in the first childhood section - great music, too. Definitely not a movie that would be made - or popular - today.

The restoration is eye-popping.

Luckily, I still have the 174 minute 'director's cut' to see! :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:06:58 am by mwqa »

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #933 on: January 18, 2015, 01:22:01 pm »
Watched 'Darjeeling Limited' last night.  Not bad, but enjoyed 'Grand Budapest Hotel' much more.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #934 on: January 18, 2015, 09:07:35 pm »

This will sound amazing on your system. Its not just because its loud (Its even louder than Expendables 3!) but the 3d like sound around your room. The sub doesn't go deep (lower limit is only 23hz) but there is plenty of it.

Will be interested in your thoughts once you watch it.

Just finished watching this!  Great sound for sure and lots of sustained bass like you mentioned!  I could feel the sound pressure during the storm scenes.  Pretty amazing really as it felt like my own ceiling was lifting.  ;D :thumbup: 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: January 19, 2015, 07:26:11 am »
Just finished watching this!  Great sound for sure and lots of sustained bass like you mentioned!  I could feel the sound pressure during the storm scenes.  Pretty amazing really as it felt like my own ceiling was lifting.  ;D :thumbup:

Glad you enjoyed the sound. Here is another one for you to check out.

Ragnarok
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2363213/

The bass in this is pure awesome and there is plenty of it when needed. Would make a good double feature with Trollhunter.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 19, 2015, 07:28:10 am »
Just finished Cinema Paradiso (1989) - the restored region B Arrow blu-ray release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stLekU5BnbI

Wow - wonderful acting and images in the first childhood section - great music, too. Definitely not a movie that would be made - or popular - today.

The restoration is eye-popping.

Luckily, I still have the 174 minute 'director's cut' to see! :)

Its been a very long time since I've seen this movie and think I will watch it again.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: January 23, 2015, 02:55:27 pm »
Watched Lone Survivor again but this time on BD (previously was on Netflix) as I wanted a quality movie with reference picture and sound to give the system a good test. Still need to do a little tweaking but so its sounding pretty good right now.

The sound mix is very aggressive and impressed me again. A couple of those explosions caught me by surprise and the sound of the rotors turning on the choppers, awesome.

Glad I bought the BD as I can see me watching it again.

I've read that American Sniper also has a reference mix, can't wait for that.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #938 on: January 23, 2015, 11:18:27 pm »
Just watched Birdman.  Wow.

Acting top notch.
Cinematography and editing excellent

Sound should win am Oscar or something, sound and sound editing were amazing.

Story was interesting although a little weird.

Totally recommend it, stick with the first 10-15 min I wasn't sure at first

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #939 on: January 24, 2015, 07:01:10 pm »
Just checked and sure enough sound editing and mixing they were nominated for Oscars.  As well as cinematography and actors.