Author Topic: Latest Movie Thread  (Read 824392 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Latest Movie Thread
« Reply #3360 on: December 14, 2019, 05:02:47 pm »
Lazy afternoon here decided to watch 6 Underground on Netflix.

Storyline
What's the best part of being dead? It isn't escaping your boss, your ex, or even erasing your criminal record. The best part about being dead...is the freedom. The freedom to fight the injustice and evil that lurk in our world without anyone or anything to slow you down or tell you "no." 6 Underground introduces a new kind of action hero. Six individuals from all around the globe, each the very best at what they do, have been chosen not only for their skill, but for a unique desire to delete their pasts to change the future. The team is brought together by an enigmatic leader (Ryan Reynolds), whose sole mission in life is to ensure that, while he and his fellow operatives will never be remembered, their actions damn sure will.

If you ever wondered where the continual increases to your Netflix monthly bill are going, I'd say lots of it went to this movie. Not sure if they missed many major advertisers and they don't even try to hide it.

Typical Michael Bay movie so nothing new here. Take a dumb story line, mix it with a few good lines to make you laugh, blow up anything and everything you can and if possible add as much slow motion to it, and voila, you are done.

At least is has a great looking picture in 4K/HDR with pretty good sound. One scene really kicked ass as they let the subs go deep which is always a nice feeling.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: December 14, 2019, 06:18:17 pm »
Late to the party, i know: I stopped by Guzzo theatre last week to watch .. Terminator Dark Fate.
Arnold is as human a terminator could be 8) The movie was ok, predictive, a tad slow to take off but entertaining and for sure, with lot of "actions".
Good but not great.
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3362 on: December 14, 2019, 09:08:38 pm »
watched the Irishman...interesting, but pretty long.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3363 on: December 16, 2019, 11:53:33 am »
Ooooh, I can't wait.  I was a HUGE fan of the first Top Gun as a teenager.  Yeah, the new one will probably be filled with gratuitous references to the original (there's even a Goose lookalike, it seems) but I"m okay with that.  A sequel like this is obviously geared towards those people who loved the first one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flURw76_UCU

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3364 on: December 16, 2019, 11:56:30 am »
Ooooh, I can't wait.  I was a HUGE fan of the first Top Gun as a teenager.  Yeah, the new one will probably be filled with gratuitous references to the original (there's even a Goose lookalike, it seems) but I"m okay with that.  A sequel like this is obviously geared towards those people who loved the first one. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flURw76_UCU

I can't wait either, Myles Teller does a good goose stand in....and Jennifer Connelly is always a welcome addition to any movie  :love: :love: :love:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: December 16, 2019, 12:34:46 pm »
Looks like a wait until on video movie to me...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3366 on: December 16, 2019, 12:39:59 pm »

There are not many movies I make a point of seeing in theatres.  Star Wars is one of them.  Top Gun will be another.  Maybe it's because they are the movies I was into as a kid, so seeing new ones brings me back to my childhood.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: December 16, 2019, 12:41:48 pm »

There are not many movies I make a point of seeing in theatres.  Star Wars is one of them.  Top Gun will be another.  Maybe it's because they are the movies I was into as a kid, so seeing new ones brings me back to my childhood.
I get it.

But still.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3368 on: December 16, 2019, 12:53:45 pm »
:thumbup:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: December 16, 2019, 12:59:59 pm »
I think the only thing I'll actively look into seeing over the holidays is "1917".

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #3370 on: December 16, 2019, 01:54:14 pm »
I think the only thing I'll actively look into seeing over the holidays is "1917".
same
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3371 on: December 17, 2019, 07:33:43 am »
Watched Long Shot with Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen on Netflix last night.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2139881/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Journalist Fred Flarsky reunites with his childhood crush, Charlotte Field, now one of the most influential women in the world. As she prepares to make a run for the Presidency, Charlotte hires Fred as her speechwriter and sparks fly.

While I wasn't expecting Oscar level performances and writing this movie is a big dud. Plus who writes comedies to be over 2 hours long. Avoid.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: December 17, 2019, 10:29:01 am »
Watched Long Shot with Charlize Theron and Seth Rogen on Netflix last night.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2139881/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Journalist Fred Flarsky reunites with his childhood crush, Charlotte Field, now one of the most influential women in the world. As she prepares to make a run for the Presidency, Charlotte hires Fred as her speechwriter and sparks fly.

While I wasn't expecting Oscar level performances and writing this movie is a big dud. Plus who writes comedies to be over 2 hours long. Avoid.
while i likely won't disagree with your review, i'll have to watch it anyway...mainly because i love Charlize Theron.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3373 on: December 17, 2019, 10:45:31 am »
Heh. I quite liked it. Charlize was great playing a 'light' type movie

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: December 17, 2019, 12:26:00 pm »
she was fantastic in Atomic Blonde.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #3375 on: December 17, 2019, 02:04:35 pm »
I didn't mind it either.  I also thought it was nice to see Seth Rogan not being over the top, still Seth Rogan, but not Will Ferrell levels of stupid.

6 Underground was alright.  No way it would have made it in theatres - not for long if it had.  23 yr old thought it sucked.  You always pick the crappy movies dad. (Hey, Ryan Reynolds - another actor who plays to type all the time - but I still love him 'cause he's Cdn and his gin commercials are stupid funny, and that guy from Transformers!! How would I KNOW it could be meh?)

So I watched Criminal (Netflix) by myself...and I think it was actually better.  And not because Ryen R died in the first act. 

Offline Niklasky

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, 2015 Kia Rondo EX Luxury
« Reply #3376 on: December 17, 2019, 04:21:13 pm »
Lazy afternoon here decided to watch 6 Underground on Netflix.

Storyline
What's the best part of being dead? It isn't escaping your boss, your ex, or even erasing your criminal record. The best part about being dead...is the freedom. The freedom to fight the injustice and evil that lurk in our world without anyone or anything to slow you down or tell you "no." 6 Underground introduces a new kind of action hero. Six individuals from all around the globe, each the very best at what they do, have been chosen not only for their skill, but for a unique desire to delete their pasts to change the future. The team is brought together by an enigmatic leader (Ryan Reynolds), whose sole mission in life is to ensure that, while he and his fellow operatives will never be remembered, their actions damn sure will.

If you ever wondered where the continual increases to your Netflix monthly bill are going, I'd say lots of it went to this movie. Not sure if they missed many major advertisers and they don't even try to hide it.

Typical Michael Bay movie so nothing new here. Take a dumb story line, mix it with a few good lines to make you laugh, blow up anything and everything you can and if possible add as much slow motion to it, and voila, you are done.

At least is has a great looking picture in 4K/HDR with pretty good sound. One scene really kicked ass as they let the subs go deep which is always a nice feeling.

Yeah, I agree with your review.

Lots of obvious product placement (Alfa Romeo, Chopard, Lavazza, just to name a few).

Lots of editing issues, like a broken side mirror that is intact in the next scene, lots of fake blood and Gore, lots of outrageously unrealistic stunts, like the parkour guy who slides off the Duomo in Florence or hops on high rise steel columns.

They also didn't hesitate killing off a bunch of innocent bystanders during car chases.

Overall meh. Action scenes are well filmed, lots of explosions and car chases (that Giulia is yummy), but the whole movie is just stupid.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #3377 on: December 17, 2019, 08:52:33 pm »
she was fantastic in Atomic Blonde.

I really enjoyed Atomic Blonde.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3378 on: December 17, 2019, 09:38:34 pm »
Watched this on Netflix tonight, thought it was quite good.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1413492/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: December 27, 2019, 08:08:06 pm »
I watched Alita: Battle Angel.

Went in expecting nothing. Am a fan of science fiction. Also a fan of Christopher Waltz and Jennifer Connelly. So I gave it a whirl.

Pleasantly surprised. Not great by any stretch, but solid with some interesting visuals. I like manga, science fiction, robots/humanoids, etc, so I might like it a bit more than some. Plot is nothing new. Certain visuals and themes remind of Ready Player One, I Robot, Avatar, Transformers, etc. But overall worth watching IMO if this sort of thing interests you.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0437086/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0