Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Nissan Sentra SR; Day 1  (Read 12721 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2013 Nissan Sentra SR; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 11:45:36 pm »
The Google camera car went by while I was at home, with a clean Sentra in the driveway - I still think it looks good, especially in this colour:
??

you have interlocking bricks on your driveway and walkway, stonework on the front of your home, both of which are high end features...but then you have a single car garage!??!?  BOOOOOOO!. :P

Ah what would you expect in big cities like Montreal.  I am of the opinion that a garage is for a car, and some tools, but mostly for the car.  But in big cities, it's limited I guess, no double garages, one for crap, the other for the car. 

I could fit 4 Smarts ForTwos in there ... but would want to do that ?  ;D

It's 17', shelving + Odyssey + bikes/snowthrower/city-imposed recycling SUV. A double would have prevented the storage, and the side yard to the right of the house.

Stonework was mandatory, as per the city's criteria for the street, and they had to approve all materials.

Come to think of it, most garages on my street are singles, and I have the lone plus-sized single.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 11:50:20 pm »
I totally agree with theonlydt's comments on the 2.0. Had one as a rental for a month in 2007.  What an awful car and engine / trans combo.  I could not get it to do better than 8.0 on the highway. 

I too came accross a basic 2.0 Sentra rental with the CVT, and had I needed to go shiftless I would not have bought one.  Staying close to the speed limit (105-110km/h) on the 417 when going to Ottawa nets me 6.1, while speedier travel at 120 is pretty much around 7.7 (calculated - display is optimistic by 1 l/100km).

Yup, I netted 8.0 @ 120.  However, driving the exact same in an Elantra netted me 5.9, and in the Magentis 6.4.  Similar driving conditions, with each car in my possession for a month at a time.  I personally was most impressed with the Magentis.  For a car of it's size, even with the 4 cylinder, had enough power and delivered on fuel economy.

My feeling is that the 6-speed stick is a bit more frugal in real life than the CVT, opposite of lab tests - my Dad has a 2009 2.0S CVT+conv.pkg., and he can't beat my results.  Mid-8s / low 9s though for winter commuting, about a litre less in summer.

I'd disagree. I have an 07 2.0S with the stick. I have never cracked 8 l per 100km. Not even on locked on cruise at 105 or 115 for 300 km plus.

I have had a few CVT rentals and I easily cracked down into the 7s even at 120 kph in Toronto.

Its likley gearing as the 6 speed spins around 3,000rpm at 120. The CVT lets ti drop down nearly 800 rpm. I have been really disappointed in the Mileage in my Sentra and I do not drive it hard at all...it is a car that discourages any kind of hard driving. Heck I got better MPG in my DSG GTI despite driving it much harder.

The new one seems to continue the main positives of the last version quite, more of a "big car/midsized feel" and utterly inoffensive. Basically if you used to drive a big Buick but now need an economy car you buy this  ;D

If you can't crack in the 7's at 105 km/h, then your car might have an issue...  Rear drums get dirty real quick if, like me, you drive it pretending it's a Mazda3 (or GTI  ;D ), so you might have some drag there.  I can crack into 5's during long, flat low-speed stretches when no stopping is involved.  But 6's at 105 on long highway strectches are pretty easy, and 115 is in the 7's. Any in-town driving shoots it up in the 8's, and winter short trips (say, inner-suburb during the Holidays) push it into the 9's.

Heck, even I get in the 7's at 105km/h with my 2003 Nissan Sentra, with a shitty 4 speed auto.  But thats with the 1.8L, and it has decent pickup for its time, very comfortable, with average reliabilty at 190km, few things going, exhaust needs to be completly redone, and I just replaced the rusted oil pan, that was leaking.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 07:43:01 am »
1000rpm on the highway.  Mist have been dead level maybe with a slight tailwind.

In any case, this has to be a new record for low rpm.   I guess it has Lexus like serenity until you come to an uphill.

Well done!

Cheers,
John M.

Offline easyrider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 journey, 11 mazda 3
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 07:55:05 am »
The Google camera car went by while I was at home, with a clean Sentra in the driveway - I still think it looks good, especially in this colour:
that Sentra looks nicer than the new one.

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 10:29:59 am »

If you can't crack in the 7's at 105 km/h, then your car might have an issue...  Rear drums get dirty real quick if, like me, you drive it pretending it's a Mazda3 (or GTI  ;D ), so you might have some drag there.  I can crack into 5's during long, flat low-speed stretches when no stopping is involved.  But 6's at 105 on long highway strectches are pretty easy, and 115 is in the 7's. Any in-town driving shoots it up in the 8's, and winter short trips (say, inner-suburb during the Holidays) push it into the 9's.

That's what I thought at first also? I did air filter changes, maintenance, alignments and new brakes. Checked tire pressure all those normal things that might hold back mileage. Come to find out this is a common complaint. Go check out http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/sentra/2007 and start randomly clicking on cars. Tons of people with best tanks at around 8 l per 100KM. Seems some cars are better than others but its not at all unusual. There is a guy who has been tracking since 2008 over 130 fill ups and never cracked 8l/100. Lucky for you you seem to have gotten one of the good ones.

Weird thing is for me is that I often end up around 9 in the city which is pretty decent but it just doesn't get much better on the highway.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 10:33:26 am »
Too much repeated comparison with the bigger Nissan. Why? Shouldn't we compare apples with apples?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 10:40:44 am »
I like this new redesign, its too bad they have completely ripped out its performance credentials. I like the old SE-R and the SpecV, sure, they werent as refined as a Civic Si, but they were quick, the LSD made the car almost handle properly and they were just different enough from the base models so you didnt look like a retiree. 
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 06:54:03 pm »
I like this new redesign, its too bad they have completely ripped out its performance credentials. I like the old SE-R and the SpecV, sure, they werent as refined as a Civic Si, but they were quick, the LSD made the car almost handle properly and they were just different enough from the base models so you didnt look like a retiree.

The 2.0S manual was credited with a 8.5s 0-60 by Car and Driver. Not class-leading, but not bad either.

The Day 3 comments are behind my choice of the Sentra as a budget commuter. It's comfy, quiet on the highway and is a surprisingly competent long-distance runner (I took it to NYC once, instead of the Ody). All the noise issues disappear when you pick the stick instead of the CVT, except at idle. Can't say how the new smaller engine compares.

Just came back from the Montreal Auto Show, and the Sentra SV looked pretty nice inside, not as plasticky as, say, a Cruze or Forte, and waaayyyy better than the born-to-rent Dart. Huge interior, and the trunk seems even bigger than mine.  Looks a bit bland, a bit like the previous Elantra. Nice car for 18k$.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 06:57:31 pm »
Just looked at Wing's pics - trip computer showing 6,8 l/100km at the time.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 11:29:39 pm »
Stalling issues on a relatively new car seems like first model year woes.

What sort of driving (city, highyway, even mix of both) was the fuel economy achieved in?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:55:50 am by mixmanmash »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 12:58:26 pm »
I like this car, at least inasmuch as one can develop a like for a car in this segment.

The stalling / airbag light issue are the exact kind of issues that drive me nuts though.  Sure you have a warranty but these issues are fodder for the "could not replicate" response from dealers.  Funny how they never say that when the warranty is up.

So true.  What I have done in the past when "could not replicate" comes up, is I come up with the exact conditions when the issue occurs (speed, temperature, driving conditions, etc.) with as much detail as possible.  Heck, I have in the past gone as far as having the dealer's shop foreman come with me and I replicate it in front of him.  Or, if it didn't happen in that instance, I have them document things in detail and make sure with the corporate rep that it will be covered once off warranty (if I am close to going beyond the warranty).

However, some issues are so damn variable that it can be tough to replicate.  Case and point: My coworkers 2008 Acura MDX.  He started experience a stalling while driving condition where all the dash goes dead, no power, and suddenly it comes back up.  I suspected the battery / battery terminals.  Everything checked out ok with the terminals & battery.  The dealer (this car is under warranty) could not replicate the issue.  I told my coworker that it's the battery.  The dealer completely disagreed that it was the battery because they believed that the alternator would pick up the load.  Of course, they have no engineering background whatsoever (I happen to be an electrical engineer).  The battery essentially acts like a low pass filter and reduces the noise that comes off the alternator.  Some of the electronics are designed to protect themselves and shutdown in overvoltage situations (i.e. noise/peak voltage spikes from the alternator), and hence why his car would suddenly cutout.  They still disagreed.  I told my coworker to replace the battery himself, out of pocket.  He did, and the problem went away.  He went back to the dealer and fought with them (He paid them to replace the battery 6 months before the issue started happening).  They ended up reimbursing him for the battery.  I wish I could have sent them my invoice for diagnostics.  Just goes to show that in many cases, the dealer mechanics don't have sufficient training to find these types of problem.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 01:09:45 pm »
I like this car, at least inasmuch as one can develop a like for a car in this segment.

The stalling / airbag light issue are the exact kind of issues that drive me nuts though.  Sure you have a warranty but these issues are fodder for the "could not replicate" response from dealers.  Funny how they never say that when the warranty is up.

So true.  What I have done in the past when "could not replicate" comes up, is I come up with the exact conditions when the issue occurs (speed, temperature, driving conditions, etc.) with as much detail as possible.  Heck, I have in the past gone as far as having the dealer's shop foreman come with me and I replicate it in front of him.  Or, if it didn't happen in that instance, I have them document things in detail and make sure with the corporate rep that it will be covered once off warranty (if I am close to going beyond the warranty).

However, some issues are so damn variable that it can be tough to replicate.  Case and point: My coworkers 2008 Acura MDX.  He started experience a stalling while driving condition where all the dash goes dead, no power, and suddenly it comes back up.  I suspected the battery / battery terminals.  Everything checked out ok with the terminals & battery.  The dealer (this car is under warranty) could not replicate the issue.  I told my coworker that it's the battery.  The dealer completely disagreed that it was the battery because they believed that the alternator would pick up the load.  Of course, they have no engineering background whatsoever (I happen to be an electrical engineer).  The battery essentially acts like a low pass filter and reduces the noise that comes off the alternator.  Some of the electronics are designed to protect themselves and shutdown in overvoltage situations (i.e. noise/peak voltage spikes from the alternator), and hence why his car would suddenly cutout.  They still disagreed.  I told my coworker to replace the battery himself, out of pocket.  He did, and the problem went away.  He went back to the dealer and fought with them (He paid them to replace the battery 6 months before the issue started happening).  They ended up reimbursing him for the battery.  I wish I could have sent them my invoice for diagnostics.  Just goes to show that in many cases, the dealer mechanics don't have sufficient training to find these types of problem.

Thats because for the large part, the "technicians" have gone from mechanics to remove/replace techs. The old ways of troubleshooting have gone aside, being replaced by "well according to the scanner, its code 071".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 01:32:51 pm »

Thats because for the large part, the "technicians" have gone from mechanics to remove/replace techs. The old ways of troubleshooting have gone aside, being replaced by "well according to the scanner, its code 071".

As they say, the substitution of diagnostic with try-agnostics, as in try anything until the problem is fixed.  But, as I said, that stunt tends to be restricted to instances in which the costs are born by consumers directly, presumably b/c the manufacturers would contest the warranty claims. 

So consumers get screwed - pay for liberal try-agnostics out of warranty and during warranty get a conservative "lets wait and see" response.

Well if its not your dollar footing the bill, then throwing parts at the car is the easiest way to fix a problem. Takes no skill and eventually should lead to fixing the problem, but not exactly the best/cheapest method for the customer.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 01:43:28 pm »
Well if its not your dollar footing the bill, then throwing parts at the car is the easiest way to fix a problem. Takes no skill and eventually should lead to fixing the problem, but not exactly the best/cheapest method for the customer.

I guess that is my point.  It is not the dealer's dollar either during or after warranty.  All that changes is the strength of the position of the payer.  Warranty work seems to be more cautious presumably b/c the auto cos have a stronger bargaining position. 

...which is why the stalling and air bag light on the Sentra would irritate me.  Sure, it might get fixed but after how many trips to the dealer?  I get to the point where all I want is four wheels and seat...so long as they all work.

Like the poor guy with that Mercedes diesel SUV, sounds like the dealer is being good about all the repairs, but how many times do you want to go back there for something. I know I have way better things to do than to camp out at the service desk of my local dealer.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 01:58:37 pm »
Like the poor guy with that Mercedes diesel SUV, sounds like the dealer is being good about all the repairs, but how many times do you want to go back there for something. I know I have way better things to do than to camp out at the service desk of my local dealer.

I am going through it right now with Ford re the ecoboost shudder.  Been in at least 3 times.  Last time the idiot tech said he could not replicate.  I recorded the in-out mileage.  They drove it 0.1 km, as in 100 m.  Thanks for giving it your best efforts to discover the problem.  Warranty wisdom has it that if there is no code there is no problem.

I understand, there is nothing worse than an issue that is intermittent, Ive dealt with them before and it could be days......saying that, 100meters, come on, youre not even trying, they basically moved the truck around to make it look like they touched it.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 02:05:55 pm »
Some of those 2007 Nissan Sentras have the bigger 2.5L engine in them, and some of them were actually doing better than the 2.0L owner. However without knowing their driving conditions and habits, we can't guess why. Short trips are very bad for fuel economy figures and the engine. Stop and go traffic too.

BTW... darn winter conditions causing me to get 8L/100km with 90% city driving in my Mazda 3.  >:(

Offline jj72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 03:48:21 pm »
The Sentra has never been very competitive in the compact market.  (Had a 2002 SER Spec V).  It always lacked a certain refinement.  The last generation was the ugliest one.  This one is a huge improvement in terms of looks.  The 1.8 is a dog and add the CVT, no thanks. 

Quality wise, these Sentra's made in Mexico are very scary.  Especially just hearing what happened on Day 4.  The reason I got rid of my Sentra is that after year 3, it was burning oil everything was falling apart.  Never again.  Shame though.  My 1995 Altima was my most reliable car ever.  Passed it to my father after 6 years and he kept it another 5 with zero issues.  What hurt most is that when I tried to trade in my SER at Nissan, they wouldn't give me more than 4 grand for it. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 03:54:20 pm »
What hurt most is that when I tried to trade in my SER at Nissan, they wouldn't give me more than 4 grand for it.

Did they try to sell you on best in industry resale values at the same time?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 09:20:04 am »
The Sentra has never been very competitive in the compact market.  (Had a 2002 SER Spec V).  It always lacked a certain refinement.  The last generation was the ugliest one.  This one is a huge improvement in terms of looks.  The 1.8 is a dog and add the CVT, no thanks. 

Quality wise, these Sentra's made in Mexico are very scary.  Especially just hearing what happened on Day 4.  The reason I got rid of my Sentra is that after year 3, it was burning oil everything was falling apart.  Never again.  Shame though.  My 1995 Altima was my most reliable car ever.  Passed it to my father after 6 years and he kept it another 5 with zero issues.  What hurt most is that when I tried to trade in my SER at Nissan, they wouldn't give me more than 4 grand for it.

Those early QR25DE engines had their fair share of issues, hence it reflected in the trade in price.  What appears more interesting is that it was only the North American built QRs that had issues.  From what I recall, the units in the X-Trail (built in Japan), did not have the same issues.  I'm sure glad I decided against the Sentra/SER when I was looking in 2003.  I'm still driving the car I bought. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 12:29:55 pm »

Those early QR25DE engines had their fair share of issues, hence it reflected in the trade in price.  What appears more interesting is that it was only the North American built QRs that had issues.  From what I recall, the units in the X-Trail (built in Japan), did not have the same issues.  I'm sure glad I decided against the Sentra/SER when I was looking in 2003.  I'm still driving the car I bought.

I got the 2.0 even though the SE-R SpecV was more my type because that 2.5 slurps on premium fuel (don't know if that was the case with the lower-hp 2.5 in the CVT'd regular SE-R). More thirst + premium = bad deal. On top of that, I often look at classifieds and there's quite a trend of "new or rebuilt" engine mentions in Altima ads.  I just went for a 60km work-related trip in town and the trip meter is at 7.7 l/100km, despite the -20 cold. For those with manual 2.0's: use 5th gear from 50km/h for steady-speed cruising, 6th from 60km/h, and short-shift 2-4-6 - it all adds up with no hypermiling compromise.

Only issues I've had with the Sentra in 4.5 years and 56,000km are: broken weld on muffler (refunded after warranty complaint), both sun visor mirror covers broke off (after 3 years, of course), rear drums get dirty real quick. No squeaks, no rattles, drives like a charm.