Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Cadillac ATS  (Read 32543 times)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Cadillac ATS
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 10:34:32 am »
I find this discussion fascinating.

I certainly understand the concerns over reliability and of course subjective opinions on the interior or exterior styling are just that. But some of you guys are insane. Bringing up daydream 50K Caddys from the early 1980s to try and prove some sort of point that this car is bad?

What we have here is a really nice car. A nice enough car to actually win comparison reviews against the German competition. Cadillac brings to the table the car many said they couldn't build - light, dynamically superior, small, awesome handling - and it's still not good enough for some of you. Beyond all the BS it's certainly worthy of consideration if you are buying a car in this class......something we really haven't been able to say before.

Go test drive it and report back. I bet you don't come back with the same set of silly arguments.

The only argument I can see is that it's going to be hard for me to put my 50K on the Caddy when there's also a Benz and BMW in the running....but that's a brand issue not a car issue.

Problem is, Caddy built a great handling car and that's where it ends. Even after reading the article, anyone would be much better off with a used S2000 if handling is all they care about since this new Caddy doesn't offer much beyond handling.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 10:37:21 am »
 ::) ??? yeah WHOT DO YOU KNOW.............................. :think: :shuffle: :light: :foil: :eye: :sleep: .....................about it if ya have not U know DRIVEN IT ???
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 10:42:49 am »
::) ??? yeah WHOT DO YOU KNOW.............................. :think: :shuffle: :light: :foil: :eye: :sleep: .....................about it if ya have not U know DRIVEN IT ???

I am only concluding based on the article and agreeing it IS the best handling car out there. So I'm taking Mike's word on it.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 10:52:33 am »
what does he know..........................................fark all............. ??? ::) :P :banghead: :light:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 10:55:29 am »
This review may shatter your preconceived notions of German sport sedan supremacy.
Read More...

I hardly qualify as a German slappie since my current 3-series is my first FGC and I have mixed feelings about it. My next car may as well be an Avalon hybrid or an ES so I have no affinity to any specific brand.
What I do care about though is the overall package looking at it from an owner's perspective.

So the Caddy came up with a great (maybe even best) handling machine for the driver and a single passenger. Kewl!!!
Will many peolpe short of lottery winners spend $60k on a track car that would double as a daily driver? Doubt it.

And what about looking beyond its handling capabilities?
The interior quality is subpar, the passenger comfort is subpar, reliability is unknown and is likely to translate to BIG $$$$ and major headache shortly after purchasing. And on and on and on.

Looks like a niche car, like you Mike said, for a couple of professionals with no kids who are willing to take the risk and be the case study material for GM.

Again, not a German slappie, and at $54k there is a ton of options out there that will provide better overall ownership experience with 90%+ handling capability (that stretch far beyond any sane driving on public roads) from a number of established brands.

GM engineers came up with the most capable chassis out there but the then the corporate bean counters cut it short everywhere else. No thanks. It already screams for major cash on the hood to move it in any significant quantities.

The lower trim levels will sell much better but are no better than the competition in handling without magnetic ride and such.

Ummmm......what the hell are you basing your opinions off of?? GM cars, while not exciting or class leading in any way, have always been fairly reliable in recent memory. Also, how many have a BMW/Merc/Audi/Jaguar dealership nearby......I like the fact that I can get my "luxury" car serviced at the dealer where they sell Sunfires and Cavaliers, there are lots out there. Im not the biggest fan of german cars, I like the idea of them, but I couldnt put up with the shoddy reliability, I would lease the shite out of an M3 though. This is a huge step forward for Caddy, they have this and the CTS that young people might actually drive. I hope this is a huge coup for Caddy, that they do well and sweep the market, I hope this gives Deutschland a swift kick in the ass and they finally figure out how to solder a circuit board together!! But, as always, you cant talk sense into a hater.......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline canuckystan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-58
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 11:00:07 am »
No manual transmission available?  Kinda hard to take seriously as a BMW replacement.  And what's with that beltline?  Looks like a tank turret - again, tough to take seriously - drivers' cars (like BMW and SAAB (RIP)), have lower beltlines to help the driver actually, you know, see out of the car.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2012, 11:03:10 am »
Ok, I'll respond just this one time. Though you sound too irate to hear anyone else but yourself.

What the hell are you talking about? The interior quality is subpar? No it isn't. Passenger comfort is subpar? Really? You're assuming it's going to break down that isn't necessarily the case.
This is what the hell I am talking about. Quote from the article:
"...And that brings us to the inside where things aren’t all puppies, unicorns, and rainbows..."

"...the shiny piano black finish I do not like. It does not look upscale and shows fingerprints far too easily...." (Agree, it may look OK in the Sonata but not in a $60k car that is double the price)

"...The driver’s door panel seemed poorly assembled and it would squeak when pressure was applied to the top or midsection of the door; you know, the way most 20-year old vehicles do..."

"...The rear seat is so small and compromised that back seat passengers will mistake it for a coupe, and a small one at that. There is no rear headroom for average sized adults and legroom isn’t much better. Two people in the rear seat are tight and with 3 it feels like you’re participating in a clown-car circus act. The trunk, at 290 L, is equally small by compact luxury sedan standards..."

THIS is how the interior is subpar. Get it? GET IT?

Also, how is this a niche car? This is a direct competitor for the 3-series and 300 series. Why would only professionals with no kids want this car? I have a young one at home and I'm actually considering this class of vehicle for my next ride.

"...This is a driver’s sedan, and for two young professionals with either no kids, or very young ones..."

This is how it is a niche car, according to Mike. Get it?

How is this car "a track car?"

If all it can offer is handling, and being th best at it, it's place is on the track. That was my free flight thought. Don't think too much into it.

How would I be better buying a used S2000 than this? I want a sporty family sedan.

I'm sure a used S2000 will handle AT LEAST as good but likely much better than this Caddy. But buying a used S2000 would get you a bullet-proof reliable car and save you a ton of money.

If your definition of a family is two young professionals then ATS is a great family car.

Honestly, you're completely out to lunch on most of your commentary.

Please use your head before leaving a comment like that. It makes you look like a stupid dumb-ass
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:09:16 am by whaddaiknow »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2012, 11:05:10 am »
No manual transmission available?  Kinda hard to take seriously as a BMW replacement.  And what's with that beltline?  Looks like a tank turret - again, tough to take seriously - drivers' cars (like BMW and SAAB (RIP)), have lower beltlines to help the driver actually, you know, see out of the car.

The V6 is the fat cruiser model, you want the turbo 4 banger anyways because it comes with the proper tranny and clutch pedal, there is a replacement for displacement....its called BOOOOOOSSSTTTT  ;D

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Test Drive: 2013 Cadillac ATS
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2012, 11:15:46 am »
Nice to see this thread is going exactly where anyone who has been here a while would predict.

Particularly fun how people take what is an overwhelmingly positive review on Mikes part and still manage to trash the car.

Btw, I always loved piano black finishes.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2012, 11:24:55 am »
Nice to see this thread is going exactly where anyone who has been here a while would predict.

Particularly fun how people take what is an overwhelmingly positive review on Mikes part and still manage to trash the car.

Not really trashing the car. I'll speak for myself, and for me it wouldn't be a good option. A single professional or a couple would thoroughly enjoy it if they could overlook some obvious shortcomings (which would not be a deal-breaker to them anyway). I know I couldn't but others will. It's certainly a sharp looking vehicle on the outside. I've seen a couple and they look great.

I find the new Impala as the best looking full-size sedan on the market today, period.

And when GM bean counters are overrun by more far-sighted decision-makers, I may consider owning one. Just not now.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2012, 11:30:23 am »

I thought the review was fair and balanced but I wouldn't call it "overwhelmingly positive" .... Sounds like it's a great performing car that's a bit cramped with some cheesey bits on the inside. As you know I'm something of a sceptic when it comes to the "new Cadillac " being world class. You can build a great performing car that turns into a POS from a reliability point of view in a couple of years. Only time will tell if GM has really changed it's spots.

As to the car itself...Would I buy one?  Reliability concerns aside probably not. Simply put I don't like the interior design and I'd be hesitant to buy anything from our local Chev/Caddy dealer. The latter point certainly isn't the car's fault but  overall dealer quality will certainly impact a manufacturer's sales success.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 11:30:48 am »
I almost fit the 'niche' market for this as a young couple with a newborn.. but not looking for something with such a small back seat and small trunk, though.

I think this car is more for young DINKs or sport-driving empty-nesters.

As for the interior, piano black finishes look great if you can manage to keep it clean.  I love the looks and the new CUE interface, although it looks a bit sluggish from video demos.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2012, 11:34:53 am »
I almost fit the 'niche' market for this as a young couple with a newborn.. but not looking for something with such a small back seat and small trunk, though.

I think this car is more for young DINKs or sport-driving empty-nesters.

As for the interior, piano black finishes look great if you can manage to keep it clean.  I love the looks and the new CUE interface, although it looks a bit sluggish from video demos.

Yeah, I could see this being bought by 50-something empty nesters where the other vehicle was a CUV. We kind of fit that demographic and have a 328 and a ML.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2012, 11:38:12 am »
Yeah, I could see this being bought by 50-something empty nesters where the other vehicle was a CUV. We kind of fit that demographic and have a 328 and a ML.

15 years from now when the kids don't want to ride with me anymore, my wife will allow me to buy a Caddy. For some reason, she still believes it's an old man's car. Impossible to convince her otherwise as she's not an enthusiast and goes by 20-year-old cliches.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Test Drive: 2013 Cadillac ATS
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2012, 11:39:35 am »

I thought the review was fair and balanced but I wouldn't call it "overwhelmingly positive" .... Sounds like it's a great performing car that's a bit cramped with some cheesey bits on the inside. As you know I'm something of a sceptic when it comes to the "new Cadillac " being world class.

I don't know how else to define it then as overly positive when he starts with....

".... Cadillac needed to ensure they produced an exceptional vehicle to be taken seriously in this class. And boy, did they ever succeed."

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 11:40:27 am »
Being a DINK family, this would be a fun 3rd car for summer highway travel. Hell, the dog even fits in the back.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 11:46:50 am »

I don't know how else to define it then as overly positive when he starts with....

".... Cadillac needed to ensure they produced an exceptional vehicle to be taken seriously in this class. And boy, did they ever succeed."

What car reviewers say MUST be taken with a grain of salt. They get someone else's car and flog it to their heart's content. Handling is usually what they care about the most, so no surprises there.
We, mortal bean counters must read between the lines to extract whatever useful information is in the review that would help us make a more-or-less sensible decision.

In that respect, Mike's article is perfect. It uses superlatives (deservedly so) when it comes to handling but also provides useful information for those who use it as a daily driver and might share it with the spouse who may be less enthusiastic about the handling but will notice the cramped rear seat, small trunk and creaking door panels.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 11:59:42 am »
But at least read all the other reviews out there and compare that with Mike's opinion. The interior reviews have been quite positive - with some saying this is the best GM interior....ever.

I've also sat in and driven the car. I've been in and driven a lot of cars in this class and I thought the interior was nice. I agree fully with it maybe being too flashy...but subpar? No even close.

The size of the rear is fine for this class. The upcoming CTS will provide a large vehicle.

I mean, you've taken a couple sentences from 1 reviewer on a small Canadian website and are basing your entire perspective of the car on it. You haven't driven it nor have you even cited others reviews which may support or contradict Mike's comments.

You opinion is mostly baseless, really.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1302_2012_bmw_335i_2013_cadillac_ats_mercedes_benz_c350_comparison/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RHE85kHxRw8

So that's our story. While flawed, the Cadillac ATS is the best $50,000 sport sedan of the three. Audi couldn't make an S4 materialize in time for this comparison, so we can't say with certainty the Caddy is the best you can buy. However, I'll go out on a limb and say it is. Summarized Mr. Evans, "When we did that eight-car comparison the 328i won, I remember getting out of the other cars, climbing into the BMW, and thinking, 'This is it. This is how you do it.' I had the same feeling today driving the Cadillac ATS."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1302_2012_bmw_335i_2013_cadillac_ats_mercedes_benz_c350_comparison/viewall.html#ixzz2E0Z6GEBo

I've read all the other reviews. Their conclusions are based primarily, if not solely, on the driver's feel.
I find Mike's review pretty darn near perfect as he does an excellent job covering the key features that apply to any car serving its suggested purpose:
  • If it offers the rear seat - is it any good for what it claims to be
It looks like the Mustang might be a good competitor to the ATS as both provide cramped rear seats with the deletion of two doors in the Mustang. I find my 328 pretty cramped in the back, and if the ATS is any smaller, it's an automatic write-off regardlees of its handling capabilities.
  • if it offers a trunk - is it any good
  • how is the interior fit and finish
etc.

I read the reviews and apply them to my personal situation and provide my opinion on what I find in articles and reviews.
So the sake of the argument, I would never buy a G37 either for a bunch of reasons despite it being favoured by many (if not majority) on this forum, so the ATS is not alone.

I just whatched a ton of videos of the new Impala. And while it is the best looking full-size sedan on the outside, upon a closer look, it is a disappointment on the inside.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2012, 12:01:06 pm »
I look forward to test driving this car, seems nice and stylish with a bit of bite for back road blasts
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2012, 12:05:30 pm »
It's a great looking car, inside and out.  I really like the black piano trim myself, although it does take some extra work to keep clean.  Sounds like GM really built a superb handling Sedan here.   :thumbup:    Personally, I wouldn't be interested in this vehicle if the back seat is as tight as Mike mentions.  It was the same reason that the IS was immediately crossed off my list when I was shopping.  If I wanted a Coupe sized back seat I'd buy a Coupe. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing