Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2012 Ford Harley-Davidson F-150  (Read 25229 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Quick Spin: 2012 Ford Harley-Davidson F-150
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 05:25:23 pm »
My goodness people get defensive when there're faced with a truth.  Sheeesh!

And what truth is that? That trucks use more fuel?? We all know that. They haul, tow, can handle rough conditions, haul the whole family comfortably and are a decent drive, also yes. I dont agree in having a truck just for looking all urban cowboyish and never using it for what its intended for. You can byuy vehicles that are faster, more fuel efficient, cheaper, handle better and are easier to park for less than the Harley truck.....thing is, if someone wants to have that "Im a lumberjack and Im ok" outer persona, who is anyone to tell him, "no, you should be driving a Kia Rio".

You are quite right.  There is and always will be a need for trucks.  This one is probably as good as any.  But isn't it a good thing that not everyone needs or wants one?  That's all some people have been saying.  The truth I refer to is a simple law.  Depletion of resources is directly proportional to the consumption thereof.  That doesn't just apply to fossil fuels, but also to metals, fresh water and just about any non renewable resource.  Just stating a fact.  Sorry if it offends you.

Hell, its a great thing that not everyone needs one, some people have a hard time handling 2500Lbs of Civic, couldnt imagine the absolute chaos and carnage they would cause in a 7000lb diesel dually plus the amount of uneeded fuel usage would be ridiculous. I didnt get offended, I thought you meant that as a whole, pickups are bad and should be banned, thats where all the confusion was.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2012, 08:20:07 pm »
My goodness people get defensive when there're faced with a truth.  Sheeesh!

And what truth is that? That trucks use more fuel?? We all know that. They haul, tow, can handle rough conditions, haul the whole family comfortably and are a decent drive, also yes. I dont agree in having a truck just for looking all urban cowboyish and never using it for what its intended for. You can byuy vehicles that are faster, more fuel efficient, cheaper, handle better and are easier to park for less than the Harley truck.....thing is, if someone wants to have that "Im a lumberjack and Im ok" outer persona, who is anyone to tell him, "no, you should be driving a Kia Rio".

You are quite right.  There is and always will be a need for trucks.  This one is probably as good as any.  But isn't it a good thing that not everyone needs or wants one?  That's all some people have been saying.  The truth I refer to is a simple law.  Depletion of resources is directly proportional to the consumption thereof.  That doesn't just apply to fossil fuels, but also to metals, fresh water and just about any non renewable resource.  Just stating a fact.  Sorry if it offends you.

Hell, its a great thing that not everyone needs one, some people have a hard time handling 2500Lbs of Civic, couldnt imagine the absolute chaos and carnage they would cause in a 7000lb diesel dually plus the amount of uneeded fuel usage would be ridiculous. I didnt get offended, I thought you meant that as a whole, pickups are bad and should be banned, thats where all the confusion was.

It took a while to get past the careless comments, but your viewpoint boils down to pretty much the same as mine. 

No one said pickups are inherently bad and so should be banned.  That's a pretty stupid statement.  It would make more sense to ban buses and semis.  Which would be an even stupider thing to say.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2012, 08:43:03 pm »
Far more fuel is wasted by transport trucks that bring our Amazon orders to our door than a Harley Davidson pickup, which indeed is less than a drop in the bucket.

An interesting point.  I tried to figure out which takes more resources and energy to deliver a produt to my home - going shopping or ordering online.  A comparison makes it look like it may be a wash:

Shopping
- I, and store buyers, use computer resources for research etc.
- container of identically packaged goods moved from factory to ship
- container crosses ocean on ship
- container unpacked at depot, trucks deliver goods to stores
- I drive to store and home to buy product

Ordering online
- I use computer resources for research
- container of individually packaged goods moved from factory to ship
- container crosses ocean
- container unpacked at depot, trucks deliver packages to post office depot
- post office delivers to my door

The comparison can be varied for more local shipments, using couriers etc.

The only difference seems to be the last leg of the journey, and I bet the post office or courier companies operate their fleets more efficiently than I can drive to stores.

Sorry for going off-topic, but I thought the matter should not pass without a second look.

Regarding anything being a drop in the bucket, the bucket is filled with drops.  You can't deal with the whole without dealing with the parts.  You can't deal with climate change without dealing with the bazillions of individual actions that cause it.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2012, 08:59:12 pm »
I truly grow tired of the environmental proselytizing that goes on in this forum, as if a person's choice of vehicle is the sole determinant of her belief in stewardship.  Give it up already for gosh sakes.

But, environmental considerations have become a central issue in vehicle operation and ownership.  Do you not read car ads?  I don't think anyone came anywhere close to saying vehicle choice is "the sole determinant of her belief in stewardship".  Don't object to things said by only yourself.

"Environmental proselytizing" about cars has just as much place in these forums as proselytizing ridiculously powerful engines, for instance.  Or driving for the sake of driving.  If the owner/moderators disagree, they should state such conditions in the guidelines.  Until then, the anti-enviros should suck it up.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 10:03:46 pm »
Ok, so I cleaned this thread up and took out all the posts badgering each other over things not directly related to the HD F-150, but rather our views on environmental, sustainability and social conscious.  Many, myself included got carried away.  Let's get back to the Pickup in question.  If you don't like it, fine, if you like it fine, if you think it is the stupidest f#^@# thing ever made, fine.  But please keep the comments about the truck, market, etc. 

We have a political section on this forum that I more that happily invite all to debate in as it is a great, important debate.  But please, every time a pickup truck or Prius is reviewed, let's not get into the same debate with the same responses.

Alright, play nice...ish...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:55:31 pm by Mike »

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2012, 11:04:15 pm »

"Environmental proselytizing" about cars has just as much place in these forums as proselytizing ridiculously powerful engines, for instance.  Or driving for the sake of driving.  If the owner/moderators disagree, they should state such conditions in the guidelines. 

It does, and it is more than welcome on this forum as it is a huge, pressing issue.  But as such, responses by all members, on all issues need to follow forum guidelines.  Comments insinuating:

-all pickup drivers are rednecks compensating for something while intimidating other drivers
-all hybrids suck, their drivers are granola eating, drum circle nuts
-people who drive sports cars are degenerates, stupid and put us all in danger

Are surely going to incite some forum members on here, especially if they drive said vehicle (unless all three are said at once, then we know you are talking about airbalancer since he owns them all)

;D

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2012, 11:08:35 pm »
You know what you did rrocket.  Stop poking the Bear! ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2012, 11:46:37 pm »
You know what you did rrocket.  Stop poking the Bear! ;D

I was just filling in the blanks that you missed...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2012, 06:23:44 am »
The BMW 323 is not a real sport car, but it great to drive a on a Sunday day even at the limited with the top down ;D

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2012, 05:54:57 pm »
Ok, so I cleaned this thread up and took out all the posts badgering each other over things not directly related to the HD F-150, but rather our views on environmental, sustainability and social conscious.  Many, myself included got carried away.  Let's get back to the Pickup in question.  If you don't like it, fine, if you like it fine, if you think it is the stupidest f#^@# thing ever made, fine.  But please keep the comments about the truck, market, etc. 

We have a political section on this forum that I more that happily invite all to debate in as it is a great, important debate.  But please, every time a pickup truck or Prius is reviewed, let's not get into the same debate with the same responses.

Alright, play nice...ish...

Thanks for rebalancing the discussion.

The Harley Davidson pickup raises a quandry, though.  Obviously its capabilities as a work vehicle have been compromised for the marketing strategy.  It is intended to be controversial. Like the H2, it is intended to find favor with some people, AND to cheese off others.  So it should be fair, to some extent, for the discussion about this particular pickup to get into the issue of those compromises and that marketing.  After all, there isn't much else notable and of interest about it relative to the unembellished F150.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone thinks the marketers of hybrids have gone out of their way to incite those who don't believe in the whole climate change etc. etc. etc. thing.  Maybe I'll post the issue in off-topic.

Many people who objected to negative comments about the Harley Davidson pickup thought the criticism was directed at all pickups, when it was not.

Probably the key, as you said, is to address these matters without getting personal as in: "all pickup drivers are rednecks compensating for something while intimidating other drivers".  Or misinterpreting statements that never said this to begin with.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2012, 07:07:07 pm »
Would it be ok if this was a king ranch model instead of a hd edition, the only diffence is probably the colour of leather and decals
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:38:32 pm by airbalancer »

Northernridge

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2012, 07:30:57 pm »
The HD and King Ranch and Eddie Bauer rigs are just pure marketing. People get paid to sit around and figure out how to discover another niche without spending any more money on a new product while finding additional margin. Ford cuts a licensing deal with Harley to brand up its top line truck and adds a few thousand to the MSRP and everyone makes money.

All the power to them if they can find customers.

By the way, these are very same product planners who sit around thinking about how to appeal to pollution-hating-but-won't-stop-driving consumers and come up with hybrids with green and blue logos with leaves in the dash. In fact there are few case studies floating around on whether blue or green is preferred by prospective hybrid buyers.

It's all just marketing.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2012, 12:09:09 pm »
It's all just marketing.

And that sums it up perfectly.

I LMAO the other day - our local HD dealership had an ad on the radio talking about the "rebellious nature" of HD bikes, how their riders "don't give a damn what others think". 

The only HD owner I know is my wife's former equestrian coach, who bought one last year during a mid-life crisis.  It's got more chrome than an Escalade, and she got the accessory fuel-tank basket (sequined, of course) so that she can take her Yorkie along for a ride. 

Hey, her money is just as valid to HD as some Hell's Angels member...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2012, 03:37:10 pm »
well... comes down to those 1%ers... and not the dirty hippies in the park. the original 1%ers

i mean those 1% of bikers that actually are badasses. who the 99% of bikers get mad at becuase people then paint all bikers with the same menace 2 society brush. but really... don't those 99% really want to be thought of as the 1%? or why wouldn't they get a honda or sport bike or something...

anyways, the truck should actually come with something HD worthy other than a badge... like a ramp into the truck bed for your bike... or some kind of actual features that provide a benefit to a biker, not just a decal. or maybe some 20" wire rims... ohhhh.... nice! it will look like a harley!..... or a 1985 chrysler town and country.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2012, 04:51:19 pm »
well... comes down to those 1%ers... and not the dirty hippies in the park. the original 1%ers

i mean those 1% of bikers that actually are badasses. who the 99% of bikers get mad at becuase people then paint all bikers with the same menace 2 society brush. but really... don't those 99% really want to be thought of as the 1%? or why wouldn't they get a honda or sport bike or something...
having owned numerous motorcycles over the years, from various makes, if i were to get another one, it would likely be a Harley...not because of some "badass" image, or anything "marketing related"...the bike i currently like (and might take a test drive on next weekend) is the Sportster 48...i like the "simplistic" nature of the bike...i like the torque from the V-Twin engine...i like the fact it is somewhat affordable (about $12k)...i also like the Triumph Street Triple, but i am not fond of the dealership they are sold at, and i have a feeling a high rev bike simply encourages speed...you can putter around on an HD at legal limits and easily enjoy the ride, as the ample torque provides a similar feel to what car people enjoy in diesel cars.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 12:18:08 am »

anyways, the truck should actually come with something HD worthy other than a badge... like a ramp into the truck bed for your bike... or some kind of actual features that provide a benefit to a biker, not just a decal. or maybe some 20" wire rims... ohhhh.... nice! it will look like a harley!..... or a 1985 chrysler town and country.

How about a fake bullet-proofing job?  Secret bins for handguns?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2012, 12:34:13 am »

having owned numerous motorcycles over the years, from various makes, if i were to get another one, it would likely be a Harley...not because of some "badass" image, or anything "marketing related"...the bike i currently like (and might take a test drive on next weekend) is the Sportster 48...i like the "simplistic" nature of the bike...i like the torque from the V-Twin engine...i like the fact it is somewhat affordable (about $12k)...

My buddy just bought one last week.  Used for $7500 with 160kms on it  His is the "Iron" 883, somewhat similar in looks to the 48.  He also bought a Honda 599 this past weekend.

FWIW, I'd take a Ducati Monster over the Harley Sportster 48 for the same money....

Here are his "new" bikes

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:08:56 am by rrocket »

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2012, 08:36:38 am »
I agree with you on the Monster, I'd rather have one of thse too.  Love the 599!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2012, 09:02:49 am »
I agree with you on the Monster, I'd rather have one of thse too.  Love the 599!

I tried out a Sportster once, I'd take any bike over it.
Mr Pickypants

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2012, 12:21:04 pm »
I rode one of the 883's once.  I think a Vespa feels faster, and the engine felt like it was going to shake itself to death at any moment.  The seat was horrible and the ergos were lousy.

I think it's the worst bike I ever let the clutch out on...