Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Toyota Yaris three-door; Day 1  (Read 12790 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Toyota Yaris three-door; Day 1
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 12:53:43 pm »
James, I can't actually believe that you just went from a supercharged Escalade to a Yaris!  Talk about very different vehicles!  Too funny!   ;D
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline ajay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +16/-34
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 02:00:14 pm »
Bare bones is right , still I like the fact that it lost 50 lbs on the redesign  making it such a light weight car which I'm sure is very nimble through city traffic  and of course it will have the great reliability it is noted for , tried and true  . I think it would be a fun car to drive .

Offline MMMB89

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 01:37:47 am »
Is Toyota that cheap that they only offer one windshield wiper on the Yaris? 

I'm guessing it's not like monoblade that Mercedes-Benz had for years on its cars.  The monoblade was definitely unique and swept more windshield than the standard wiper setup, however get stuck in a rainstorm and even on max it can't keep up.

Offline tinnemeneer

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 04:32:00 am »
"The new Yaris is a little longer but the same width and a little shorter than the outgoing model."

More out of curiosity then to be nit-picking, but as a non-native English speaker it confused me. Well, a little..
Okay, I admit, I love to pick a good nit. :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 05:28:34 am »
"The new Yaris is a little longer but the same width and a little shorter than the outgoing model."

More out of curiosity then to be nit-picking, but as a non-native English speaker it confused me. Well, a little..
Designed by M.C. Escher ? One of your countrymen IIRC.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 07:45:26 am »
Ha that is confusing....  It's is less tall...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2012, 07:50:29 am »
One windshield wiper?  Can you get a picture of the swept area?  One wiper sounds ridiculous to me.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 08:01:33 am »
Didn't the 2000-2004 Echo have dummy shift lights? The 2005 Echo hatchback got a standard tach, not sure about the sedan.

The Echo sedan didn't have a standard tach nor a shift light. At first, I thought it was a glaring omission, but I never missed it.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 08:06:50 am »
Didn't the 2000-2004 Echo have dummy shift lights? The 2005 Echo hatchback got a standard tach, not sure about the sedan.

The Echo sedan didn't have a standard tach nor a shift light. At first, I thought it was a glaring omission, but I never missed it.

REAL small basic cars should be driven to valve bounce in every gear...who needs a tach or a shift light.   Oops   I am thinking of Fiats of long ago not Toyotas.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 08:07:44 am »
One windshield wiper?  Can you get a picture of the swept area?  One wiper sounds ridiculous to me.

From this vid, it almost seems like it doesn't sweep far enough left into the driver's line of sight.  From pictures, it really looks like a huge wiper though and I'm sure it works pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1BCAp4CGOE

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 11:22:28 am »
that is more of a computer graphic, so tough to tell...i would imagine (hope) that Toyota has engineered the location of the pivot, the shape of the windshield and the size of the blade to maximize clearing area...i would assume there are safety concerns to ensure the wipers clear enough of the visible area to ensure proper visibility...assuming it is designed properly, i would think that a single wiper would be effective at clearing the windshield...my Rio5 "drivers" wiper is also quite large, and the "passenger" wiper is a small "add on" to get that extra little bit...it isn't like the "old days" where you had two similar sized wipers, that's for sure...i'm not sure of the exact lengths, but if i were to guess, i would say the drivers is a 24 and the passenger is a 16 or something like (maybe 22 and 18, hard to tell)...a single wiper blade means no linkage and one blade...less complex (although, wiper set ups are pretty reliable anyway), but more importantly, cost savings...i would be more concerned about wiper performance than how many wipers it had, or any cost savings though...as long as the single wiper works fine (i imagine it does), i wouldn't care.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 12:36:31 pm »

REAL small basic cars should be driven to valve bounce in every gear...who needs a tach or a shift light.   Oops   I am thinking of Fiats of long ago not Toyotas.

My beloved 1995 Civic LX 5-speed has no tach, and no shifter light, but the driver's manual indicated the top speeds at redline for each lower gear.  Had them memorized, and despite Banzai! runs, never hit the rev limiter.

The car I learned to drive with, a 1981 Civic wagon with manual choke and "Hondamatic" tranny, had max shift points for 1st and 2nd printed on the speedo.  Hondamatic, for those who never saw it, looked like a regular 3-speed auto, with a floor shifter, but it had 1-2-OD.  No "D" : you had to shift.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 02:28:51 pm »

too funny!! almost spilled my coffe on that one! :rofl:

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 07:43:00 pm »
I thought the auto industry had progressed to a point where you couldn't find a new car without a tach: sadly, it appears that isn't the case.  Big omission on a manual transmission, IMO.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 07:56:28 pm »
I thought the auto industry had progressed to a point where you couldn't find a new car without a tach: sadly, it appears that isn't the case.  Big omission on a manual transmission, IMO.

Only if you are a total incompetent.  I drove my Echo for hundreds of thousands of KMs with no tach.  If you have ears and a feel for the engine...there is no need for a tach. FFS...it only has 105HP...you do not need a tach.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Gamefreak

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 11 Hyundai Elantra GLS 6MT 4dr
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 12:47:19 am »
Only if you are a total incompetent.  I drove my Echo for hundreds of thousands of KMs with no tach.  If you have ears and a feel for the engine...there is no need for a tach. FFS...it only has 105HP...you do not need a tach.

I guess I'm incompetent.  Sure, I drove a Civic with no tach for almost five years, but that's beside the point, right?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 12:52:38 am »

I guess I'm incompetent.  Sure, I drove a Civic with no tach for almost five years, but that's beside the point, right?

Well you managed fine then.  WTF did you need the tach for?  I mean...were you really caught out in any situation because of a lack of a tach??  I doubt it....

Offline tinnemeneer

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +12/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 06:24:03 am »
[/quote]
[/quote]

I wouldn't buy an Escherian car, Dutch people are famous for a lot of things. Making cars, except semi-trucks, is not one of them. And Escher.. well.. I love his work but I wouldn't buy a car he made. :)

P.S. I just looked up 'nitpicking' and it seems I don't love to pick a good nit as I wrote earlier. :)

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 12:37:10 pm »
[/quote]

I wouldn't buy an Escherian car, Dutch people are famous for a lot of things. Making cars, except semi-trucks, is not one of them. And Escher.. well.. I love his work but I wouldn't buy a car he made. :)

P.S. I just looked up 'nitpicking' and it seems I don't love to pick a good nit as I wrote earlier. :)

[/quote]

Being dutch myself, you forgot about the DAF!! Greatest car ever  :) I remember as a kid in Holland they used to have a race where they drove the DAF's backwards - with their CVT they could go just as fast backwards as they could forward

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 03:31:39 pm »
The wandering mentioned in DAy 3 was what we found in our 2008 Yaris as well.

We got a set of upsized aftermarket rim/tires for the summer months and I found the highway wandering was cured quite a bit.

It also has a TRD RSB which also helps the body roll a little.

Great "daily reviews".   I look forward to reading more.  :)
---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2