Author Topic: The Weightlifting/Powerlifting/Fitness Thread  (Read 69459 times)

Offline Vmango

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +319/-351
  • Vman
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2010 MDX Tech, 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4
Re: The Weightlifting/Powerlifting/Fitness Thread
« Reply #680 on: Yesterday at 09:01:43 am »
Lifting heavy is the best way to add strength. Doing lots of reps with less weight (more volume less intensity) gives you more mass (hypertrophy) (the old beach muscles)

Doesn't always work that way. Depends more on your food intake. No amount of high reps is going through increase your muscle mass if you don't eat enough. For me, lifting heavy did way more for gaining muscle mass than high reps.

Well obvious with food. If you don't eat properly you're not going to gain any meaningful strength or size. That's 101 stuff.

You'll still gain muscle mass lifting heavy - I'm just saying hypertrophy is best achieved with high volume and lower (in relative terms) intensity.....that's why bodybuilders do a :censor: ton of volume. This stuff isn't for debate - it's scientific fact.

I mean if you were "lifting heavy" (whatever that means for you) but still doing a lot of volume (sets and reps) then you were probably achieving both. I generally do 5/3/1 "boring but big" and it's a mix of traditional high intensity low rep work followed by significantly less weight and lots of volume. The program is amazing. 

Offline Vmango

• Car Crazy
  • Vman
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: Yesterday at 09:04:15 am »

165lbs, 5ft8in

Bench 150x5
Overhead Press 105x5 (really hard to get through the 3rd set though)
Squat 170x5 (started too conservative)
Deadlift 165x5 (lots of headroom here, started way too conservative)

In 1 month I will check back in.

It's been about a month.

168lbs today

OHP 105x5 stalled hard
Bench 165x5 stalled
Squat 220x5
Deadlift 240x5

I think my DL and Squat have "caught up" and now I need to eat/rest a bit more and probably fix my form to keep up the pace of progress.

You need to eat more. (period)

There's a reason Rippetoe recommends a gallon of whole milk a day for underweight guys.  ;)

As I've said 10 times in this thread. Food is SO anabolic.

Offline Vmango

• Car Crazy
  • Vman
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: Yesterday at 09:09:23 am »
edit:

On topic, but here is my post for a few years ago. Sticking to a program and eating will result is massive gains:

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=89458.msg1122831#msg1122831

^^

MMRET I ate a grotesque amount.

Offline JG20

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2009 Mazda 5, 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (Sold)
« Reply #683 on: Yesterday at 11:00:34 am »
Lifting heavy is the best way to add strength. Doing lots of reps with less weight (more volume less intensity) gives you more mass (hypertrophy) (the old beach muscles)

Doesn't always work that way. Depends more on your food intake. No amount of high reps is going through increase your muscle mass if you don't eat enough. For me, lifting heavy did way more for gaining muscle mass than high reps.

Well obvious with food. If you don't eat properly you're not going to gain any meaningful strength or size. That's 101 stuff.

You'll still gain muscle mass lifting heavy - I'm just saying hypertrophy is best achieved with high volume and lower (in relative terms) intensity.....that's why bodybuilders do a :censor: ton of volume. This stuff isn't for debate - it's scientific fact.

I mean if you were "lifting heavy" (whatever that means for you) but still doing a lot of volume (sets and reps) then you were probably achieving both. I generally do 5/3/1 "boring but big" and it's a mix of traditional high intensity low rep work followed by significantly less weight and lots of volume. The program is amazing.

Skinny hardgaining newbie wants to get big (muscular). Same diet of stuff your face and gallon of milk a day. What would you recommend, starting strength or hypertrophy specific exercises? I would recommend starting strength first to get baseline strength and initial mass, then add hypertrophy exercises later on. That's all I meant by lift heavy. Starting strength isn't heavy right away. But as the weights increase, so does your muscular mass.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-555
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: Yesterday at 11:09:53 am »
edit:

On topic, but here is my post for a few years ago. Sticking to a program and eating will result is massive gains:

^^

Were you doing any cardio / bike during that whole thing?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline JG20

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2009 Mazda 5, 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (Sold)
« Reply #685 on: Yesterday at 11:24:20 am »
edit:

^^

I wouldn't do any cardio during the bulking stage.  You can add it back later once you're in the weight range you'd like.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +91/-68
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #686 on: Yesterday at 01:12:43 pm »
Mmret, as a fellow beanpole/ectomorph and being a few years older than you at 38, if I could offer one suggestion in addition to the great advice thatís already been dispensed here: whatever workout regimen you choose, make sure you also devote some focus to your flexibility and mobility, especially in the hips. From my own experience, being historically really unflexible (inflexible?), even the modest, recent improvements I've made in this area have been hugely beneficial - more so than added muscle, I believe, and as we get older it's that much more important, along with core strength. Big beach muscles are cool, but useless if their range of use is limited :)
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:35:16 pm by lebowski »

Offline Vmango

• Car Crazy
  • Vman
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: Yesterday at 02:22:18 pm »

Skinny hardgaining newbie wants to get big (muscular). Same diet of stuff your face and gallon of milk a day. What would you recommend, starting strength or hypertrophy specific exercises? I would recommend starting strength first to get baseline strength and initial mass, then add hypertrophy exercises later on. That's all I meant by lift heavy. Starting strength isn't heavy right away. But as the weights increase, so does your muscular mass.

Oh, we agree. It's much harder to gain weight and muscle than it is to cut.

edit:

^^

And waste all those precious calories? No way!  ;D I did some power/explosive cardio.....hill climbs and I have a prowler (sled). The prowler is amazing. Focus on gaining weight, strength, and muscle first and worry about body composition later....much easier to address body composition that it is gaining weight and strength for a guy like you. Rippetoe says that right in the book you're reading and it's true!

The only problem with Starting Strength is the amount of time spent in the gym. With two young kids, etc., I don't have two hours to spend in the gym each session. Part of why I like 5/3/1 is that I can do a 4 day split and each no session is longer than an hour. Much easier to fit in my schedule. 

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-555
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: Yesterday at 03:49:14 pm »
Hmm it never struck me that ~170lbs at 5'8" was skinny but OK!

I guess BMI index is a crock of shite then.

Offline Vmango

• Car Crazy
  • Vman
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: Yesterday at 04:41:43 pm »

BMI is total bs. No context at all.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +311/-406
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 GTI+
« Reply #690 on: Yesterday at 07:31:11 pm »
On some BMI scales I hover around fat to obese. Ya right.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-218
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 97 Alfa Romeo 155 V6, 07 Saab 9-3 2.0T. Past: 99 Mitsu Mirage RHD, Pontiac GP, R53 MINI, Mazda Protege, Audi A4 2.0T
« Reply #691 on: Yesterday at 07:33:32 pm »
yeah BMI is total BS, muscle weighs a lot...so you can be ripped, but BMW says you are "obese"

BS
Objects in mirror are losing

If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Hi one Audi please.
Of course sir. What shape and how big?
*customer makes some hand gestures*
Excellent, there you are sir.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +54/-58
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2015 BMW 335i
« Reply #692 on: Yesterday at 07:47:57 pm »

BMI is total bs. No context at all.

I believe BMI is useful in population studies / trends, but individually there are too many variables.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Vmango

• Car Crazy
  • Vman
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: Yesterday at 07:48:54 pm »
General population a useful tool. Out the door for athletes

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +939/-2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: Yesterday at 09:09:22 pm »

, but BMW says you are "obese"

BS

I'm for sure never buying a BMW then!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...