Author Topic: I would not do business with Audi ever again!  (Read 26154 times)

pkprender

I would not do business with Audi ever again!
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:40:28 am »
I purchased A6 3.2 Quattro in Westchester, NY in early June 2007. We moved to Toronto in late June 2007. Car has been maintained on schedule and as required by  Audi in Toronto since 2007, beginning with first service. Over an 18-24 month period (2010-2011), fuel injectors had to be replaced on three separate occasions.  Audi has a record of this. Each time, this was covered by the manufacturer’s warranty. I was concerned about the frequency of the fuel injector’s failure and asked the Dealer Service department if there was a particular issue with the car and was told it was strictly a part failure.

Next to last incident occurred in May 2011. Car was coming off manufacturer’s warranty in June 2011. Car had only 40,000 km on it at time and I wanted to keep it another 2-3 years. I asked the dealer about buying an extended warranty given car's history with fuel injectors.  Audi sold me an 84 month Platinum warranty extension for about $2500 before tax. I was told failure of fuel injectors was specifically covered. Warranty extension was with a third party (Secure Drive) not Audi. The last scheduled maintenance was performed on December 21, 2011 by  Audi. This service included work on the fuel system and throttle in addition to regular maintenance.
In January of 2012, same issue with fuel injectors came up and they needed to be replaced. Cost of the job estimated by  Audi to be $2700. Warranty Company, Secure Drive, refused to cover the job. Secure Drive took the position that it was not a part failure but a maintenance issue related to carbon build up and not covered by their warranty. I took car to independent qualified technician (former  Audi tech) who confirmed fuel injectors had failed and gave an estimate for the job in the same price range ($2700) as  Audi service department. This service station repaired the car. Total cost of the repairs including tax was $2800. Mechanic remarked that there was carbon build up which occurs on Audi A6’s based on engine design and fuel injector/cylinder interface. Mechanic said that carbon build up should have been flagged up by Audi dealer at 40,000 km and serviced at that time.
In summary, I have a well maintained (supported by dealer service records) A6 with low mileage, that has been run only with premium gas and for which I purchased a premium warranty extension. I am being told by Secure Drive that the cost of the required repairs (4th incident of same repair over 24 month period) is not covered by the warranty extension I have with them even though both  Audi and Lawrence Park Petro Canada said the fuel injectors had failed. The Dealer should have flagged up any related maintenance issues given frequency of fuel injector problems and that they are service provider. They did not. Audi Manufacturer Warranty always covered cost previously so  Audi had no issue. Now that there is an issue, they are "running for cover."
 I am very disappointed with Audi right now. They have acted without any degree of integrity. They have made a half heated and completely unacceptable offer. Thus far, I have pursued a resolution via the Better Business Bureau without success. It seems that taking them to small claims court is now my only option. I would warn you strongly against doing business with this dealer. They lack in customer service understanding and empathy.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:44:01 pm by wing »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-433
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: I would not do business with Audi ever again!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 01:18:03 pm »
No surprise here. Superior German Engineering and even better German Customer Service.

Different issues but sounds similar to a buddy's experience with his Audi Allroad.

Next time remeber to lease not buy!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:44:14 pm by wing »

vdk

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:40:23 pm »
Never buy a 3rd party warranty - they are complete scams. I will probably end up getting an extended for the GTI, but that will be from VW Canada.

To put things in perspective I am looking at $3000 for 3 years/75,000 km.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:44:27 pm by wing »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 01:42:52 pm »
This has nothing to do with this particular Audi dealer but the brand.  Removing dealership references.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:44:37 pm by wing »

vdk

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 02:13:32 pm »
What does Audi have to do with this? Once the car is out of warranty they wont spend 3 grand to fix it obviously. 

3rd party warranties are sold by the dealer not Audi. Audi does not endorse any 3rd party warranty.

What he can do it is to write Audi Canada and tell them the same part failed 4 times, and he expects them to fix it once again because it is an engine defect. Attach all dealer receipts and pray that night.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 02:26:32 pm »
The Dealer, not Audi, screwed you by selling you a Third Party Warranty.

Late model German cars:  where a $40 part costs $300. @ 3 x the labour.

Trade it or sell it privately.  Always a fool eager to buy a used Audi in Toronto.

You coud proceed against the Warranty Company, but the entire case will hinge on the language written in their warranty agreement.  Audi and the Audi Dealer are clean in this episode.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 02:32:06 pm »
What he can do it is to write Audi Canada and tell them the same part failed 4 times, and he expects them to fix it once again because it is an engine defect. Attach all dealer receipts and pray that night.

It's already repaired by a Third Party.  Monies gone.  I suspect Audi Canada already rejected the repair.

As KTM says:  Audi are LEASE ONLY.  They're Volkswagens.   :)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 02:35:10 pm »
This has nothing to do with this particular Audi dealer but the brand.  Removing dealership references.

Isn't this case more about the 3rd party warranty, Secure Drive, and the dealer that sold it stating fuel-injectors were covered? 
Seems to have little to do with Audi, except for the crappy parts/design.
Mr Pickypants

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:40:51 pm »
Wow, that really sucks. It sounds like you have done your homework in getting a certified Audi technician to confirm your suspicions of the fuel injectors, and there is a record of the problem if indeed you say it was already fixed 3 times. Do you have any evidence of where the third-party warranty identifies that they cover the fuel injectors? Typically these Lubrico-style warranties have a parts list of what is covered - find the part where it says fuel injectors. Also, get the Audi dealer to support you - find the guy who told you the warranty covered fuel injectors and have him prepare a letter on your behalf.

If you can find proof that they cover fuel injectors in the specified warranty, I would prepare a package of all this along with a written letter to the third party company demanding full reimbursement and demanding action. Fight it! See what it would cost to get a lawyer to draft you a formal letter.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 02:43:24 pm »

Seems to have little to do with Audi, except for the crappy parts/design.

I think that's the part that has to do with Audi. I can understand the owners' frustration with the brand - 3 sets of fuel injectors (going on 4th) at 40K Kms!? Sounds like a lemon, I have heard of other Audi owners who are very happy...

No offense to the OP, but if you can't afford the big repair bills, it isn't advisable to buy a big expensive German luxury car  ;)  Next time get a Honda Accord EXL!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 02:44:03 pm »
Take Audi Canada to small claims court.....I suspect they may settle before having to go.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:47:19 pm »
Also, get the Audi dealer to support you - find the guy who told you the warranty covered fuel injectors and have him prepare a letter on your behalf.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 02:48:57 pm »
Take Audi Canada to small claims court.....I suspect they may settle before having to go.

I suspect not.  And it will cost him an additional $500.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 02:51:20 pm »

I suspect not.  And it will cost him an additional $500.

They'd have to send a corporate lawyers down to his small claims court.  Would most certainly cost $2700+ to do that.

vdk

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 02:59:54 pm »
Does he have a case though? Car was out of warranty. Legally, Audi doesn't HAVE to fix it.

I think any work done + parts are warrantied 1 year / 20,000kms. Is this still applicable for you OP? Have 1 year or 20,000kms past since they last changed the injectors?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 03:01:23 pm »
Does he have a case though? Car was out of warranty. Legally, Audi doesn't HAVE to fix it.

I think any work done + parts are warrantied 1 year / 20,000kms. Is this still applicable for you OP? Have 1 year or 20,000kms past since they last changed the injectors?

But if the carbon buildup was caught, it should have been fixed.  Negligence?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 03:04:39 pm »
The claim would be sent to a general purpose Toronto Law firm that Audi does business with and in turn they would send a Law Student.  Small Claims court has mandatory pre trial conferences where it would be quickly determined that the vehicle was out of warranty and the Plaintiff`s claim was without merit.  Then the Defendant would ask the Court for costs up to $500 because they would have written the Plaintiff prior and told him the exact same thing.

PPL are under a false impression that they think large companies that are in the public eye (Banks, Insurance Co. and car distributors) pay out of court because it`s cheaper than responding.  It`s not how it works.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 03:11:19 pm »

PPL are under a false impression that they think large companies that are in the public eye (Banks, Insurance Co. and car distributors) pay out of court because it`s cheaper than responding.  It`s not how it works.

Has worked for me in the past!   

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 03:16:00 pm »

Not if done under warranty.

This is my business.  The OP is SOL in practical terms.

He could try a claim against the Third Party Warranty Company for breach of warranty if it helps to mitigate the fustration.  The most he will lose is one day of work to find out where it`s heading.  Probably would not be hit with costs because the Judges have seen these Third Party Warranty claims before and know they smell.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 03:18:00 pm »

He could try a claim against the Third Party Warranty Company for breach of warranty if it helps to mitigate the fustration.  The most he will lose is one day of work to find out where it`s heading.  Probably would not be hit with costs because the Judges have seen these Third Party Warranty claims before and know they smell.

Ah OK...that's sorta what I was thinking, but you articulated it better than me..