Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Trendline+ TDI  (Read 19133 times)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Trendline+ TDI
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 10:52:42 am »
as a side note, i just signed the paperwork on a car last night...kind of went in a slightly different direction than i initially was going with, but i believe i found the car that went "buy me"...i still need to see it when it comes in, so i do have the option to "walk away" once i see it in the flesh, but i am pretty sure all will be good.

So when are we going to see a new thread in the Show 'N Shine section?  ;) Any hint as to what it is?

My guess since he has to wait for it to come in is one of the new Hyundai products.  I am torn though since there are so many.  Elantra Coupe, Elantra GT, Veloster Turbo, Genesis Coupe......

My money is on the Elantra GT

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2012, 11:29:58 am »
In comparing equipment against the Sonata the reviewer states "But the Passat comes back with tire-pressure monitoring....".

I don't necessarily see TPMS as a bonus; they are annoying when swapping between winter tires and the sensors do not tend to be all that sensitive.

:iagree:  I for one see TPMS as a "meh" feature - at best - and a downright hassle at worst.  I don't want to get a 2nd set of sensors for my winter rims, and I don't really want to cover the blinking "TPMS" light on the dash when winter wheels are used without sensors.  Learn how to use a tire pressure gauge...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-455
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2012, 12:05:07 pm »

as a side note, i just signed the paperwork on a car last night...kind of went in a slightly different direction than i initially was going with, but i believe i found the car that went "buy me"...i still need to see it when it comes in, so i do have the option to "walk away" once i see it in the flesh, but i am pretty sure all will be good.
I'd love to hear what you ended up signing for.  What does kind of worries me is that you might not have driven this vehicle.  My guess is a sports car, something that has been reviewed by people with good things to say.  I'm thinking maybe the Genesis Coupe or the Subaru BRZ.  But anyone who have seen pictures of the BRZ won't think it's not a good looking car in person.  That can't be said about the upcoming Genesis Coupe (that should be here in early spring I've heard), and being able to drive a previous model you'd get a good idea of what to expect.  So my guess is the Genesis Coupe.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2012, 12:07:12 pm »

So when are we going to see a new thread in the Show 'N Shine section?  ;) Any hint as to what it is?

My guess since he has to wait for it to come in is one of the new Hyundai products.  I am torn though since there are so many.  Elantra Coupe, Elantra GT, Veloster Turbo, Genesis Coupe......

no secrets here (my name isn't rrocket ;D )...it's a Kia Rio5...the "problem" is there just aren't any around (they are often sold when they get delivered)...the dealerships here have 1 LX+, but i am going for the fully loaded model...apparently, the "EX Luxury" models are being re-branded to SX models, which makes sense as that is what they are called in the USA...i am not sure if the one i get will have EX or SX badging on it (hopefully SX)...the other thing i am waiting for is confirmation i can get an all black interior instead of the two tone that seems to be more common...i haven't seen the two tone, but my preference initially is just a standard black one.

kind of far removed from the Sonata Turbo, but in the end, this car has all the features (plus/minus one or two) for about $15k less...i know, no turbo engine, and smaller, but the reality is, i don't really need the extra room and as fun as the turbo engine is, i'd rather have the savings to spend on other things...i was thinking about the non-turbo loaded Sonata, but i think if i got that, i'd just be kicking myself for not spending the little extra and getting the turbo model...with the Rio5, i get something more practical for my needs, but still get all the little fun goodies that i want...kinda funny though...when the new Rio5 came out late last year, i thought it was a really good looking small car...then, when i had one as a loaner, i really liked it, so i checked it out in further detail, weighed the pros and cons, and decided i should get it.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2012, 12:32:15 pm »
My g/f is quite fond of that car.  It is on the short list for a few years from now.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 12:34:35 pm »

no secrets here (my name isn't rrocket ;D )...it's a Kia Rio5...the "problem" is there just aren't any around (they are often sold when they get delivered)...the dealerships here have 1 LX+, but i am going for the fully loaded model...apparently, the "EX Luxury" models are being re-branded to SX models, which makes sense as that is what they are called in the USA...i am not sure if the one i get will have EX or SX badging on it (hopefully SX)...the other thing i am waiting for is confirmation i can get an all black interior instead of the two tone that seems to be more common...i haven't seen the two tone, but my preference initially is just a standard black one.

kind of far removed from the Sonata Turbo, but in the end, this car has all the features (plus/minus one or two) for about $15k less...i know, no turbo engine, and smaller, but the reality is, i don't really need the extra room and as fun as the turbo engine is, i'd rather have the savings to spend on other things...i was thinking about the non-turbo loaded Sonata, but i think if i got that, i'd just be kicking myself for not spending the little extra and getting the turbo model...with the Rio5, i get something more practical for my needs, but still get all the little fun goodies that i want...kinda funny though...when the new Rio5 came out late last year, i thought it was a really good looking small car...then, when i had one as a loaner, i really liked it, so i checked it out in further detail, weighed the pros and cons, and decided i should get it.

I hope this doesn't influence you too much, especially because I too find the Rio5 styling to be a home run, but Motor Trend just nailed the Rio5 in their latest comparison:  http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1204_economy_five_door_hatchback_comparison/

We had a Rio5 EX press car in the office for a few days last fall (with a manual transmission!) and I didn't feel that it gave up much to its Accent cousin (which we also drove, though with an autobox), and definitely not as much as Motor Trend. I especially like the interior styling of the Rio5 over the Accent, with a much sportier, linear look (vs the swoopy, curvy Accent).
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 12:55:31 pm »
Interesting results.  I can't believe the SX4 beat something.  Yay Suzuki  :rofl2:

Also, this is now the 3rd comparo with the Sonic in it and it is always near the top.  It is still far and away my favourite sub-compact I drove.  Although, I haven't been in a Mazda2 or Honda Fit yet.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 12:59:12 pm »
I hope this doesn't influence you too much, especially because I too find the Rio5 styling to be a home run, but Motor Trend just nailed the Rio5 in their latest comparison:  http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1204_economy_five_door_hatchback_comparison/

We had a Rio5 EX press car in the office for a few days last fall (with a manual transmission!) and I didn't feel that it gave up much to its Accent cousin (which we also drove, though with an autobox), and definitely not as much as Motor Trend. I especially like the interior styling of the Rio5 over the Accent, with a much sportier, linear look (vs the swoopy, curvy Accent).
yea, i'm don't really understand their "distaste" for the car...while i haven' driven the top trim (with the 17" wheels and sports suspension), i have driven the base LX+ model (likely similar to the model used in the comparo)...i don't find any of the issues they mentioned apparent in the two i have driven (test drive yesterday and rental car for a couple of days)...i'm not expecting Mini Cooper JCW performance and handling, as i am not paying that kind of money...i find it more than capable in terms of handling and performance relative to its class...they also put the Rio5 second last (Versa was last) in another comparison they did prior, but never really went into why...in this article, they finished their statement about how anyone would be "proud" they bought this as their new car, whereas i was the exact opposite after having one for two days...as well, after reading several reviews (online articles and videos), the vast majority all speak highly of the car...no, it isn't perfect, but it is certainly a very decent car for the class...perhaps the people at MT are too busy playing with Porsches and BMWs to properly "review" a $20k car and keep things in perspective.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-455
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 01:11:02 pm »
Dirtyjeffer - Did you consider the Hyundai Veloster?  I haven't really head any bad reviews of it and the base model is close in price to the Rio5 SX.  If it was me that's the vehicle I'd choose, but if you have kids then the Rio probably makes more sense.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12358
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 01:53:31 pm »
Congrats dj!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 02:06:50 pm »
...perhaps the people at MT are too busy playing with Porsches and BMWs to properly "review" a $20k car and keep things in perspective.

I think so too. And good choice, hope you like the two tone interior. Let's get the pics posted when the car arrives.

vdk

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 03:32:51 pm »
i have a test drive with the manual passat tdi highline soon, when i get the chance.  i've already gone and checked an auto version.    i'm really curious to see how this car performs with the 6spd.  i've checked out the jetta tdi .... unfortunately vw cheaped out on this car with the interior, brake and suspension etc etc.  the cc doesn't have a diesel otherwise i'd probably buy it in a second.  the interior of the cc is gorgeous.   every car company should have a picture of this car's interior to inspire them.   the golf wagon is good but i'm not completely sold on it's looks.  too bad audi and bmw are taking so long to bring diesels in the a4, or 3 series.  for me, if the passat feels to soft or big i'll wait for the a3 sedan or 320d whenever that may be coming.

Soft can be fixed. ;) Big? Not so much.  ;D

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 05:08:06 pm »
It is a nice car. Frugal, elegant, prestige. Let's check how it will sell. At list it is bigger than Camry now, so the US guys are pleased by its size.
Bombastic

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 06:08:55 pm »
...perhaps the people at MT are too busy playing with Porsches and BMWs to properly "review" a $20k car and keep things in perspective.

I think so too. And good choice, hope you like the two tone interior. Let's get the pics posted when the car arrives.
i am looking for a solid black, not the two tone...not sure if it is available, but apparently it might be.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 09:34:59 pm »
Not all of us live in Toronto and regularly drive at 130 - 140 kmh. It certainly would be nice to know
what efficiency a car designed specifically for fuel economy achieves when driven economically.

As I mentioned, because of the inaccurate speedo, I wasn't actually driving 130-140, more like 110-125. I think it's safe to say that if you keep it in the 100-110, you'd get close to the 4.9 L/100 km estimated by NRCan, and easily under 6. Sign up for the manual and you have a legitimate chance to keep it under 5 for highway driving.

This very site had a test drive that achieved 4.5L/100kms doing 115km/h (as per author).  That's better than any hybrid or economy car I've ever seen on autos.ca

http://www.autos.ca/first-drives/first-drive-2012-volkswagen-passat/2

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 09:40:12 pm »
The 8% optimistic Passat Speedo concerns me, wouldn't the Odometer also be the same? That would result in padded fuel economy readings, and a few thousand extra km's on the Odo a year . I'm installing a GPS in my Golf TDI to find out how accurate my instruments are. ???

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2012, 11:00:10 pm »
Yum, I want one. I love this car. Large vehicle with a 6 speed manual and better fuel economy than a typical compact, awesome.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2012, 09:44:29 am »
I'd find that speedometer error to be hugely annoying.

I would find that annoying as well.  My Sebring's speedometer reads about 2 km/h high, the computer (as indicated by Scanguage) matches the Garmin GPS speed almost exactly.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2012, 11:54:42 am »
In honour of tomorrow's Oscars show the award for understatement goes to.........."I have waxed euphoric about VW’s high-revving, sporty gasoline 2.0-litre turbo motor (love it!)".
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

vdk

Test Drive: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Trendline+ TDI
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 03:46:48 pm »
i have a test drive with the manual passat tdi highline soon, when i get the chance.  i've already gone and checked an auto version.    i'm really curious to see how this car performs with the 6spd.  i've checked out the jetta tdi .... unfortunately vw cheaped out on this car with the interior, brake and suspension etc etc.  the cc doesn't have a diesel otherwise i'd probably buy it in a second.  the interior of the cc is gorgeous.   every car company should have a picture of this car's interior to inspire them.   the golf wagon is good but i'm not completely sold on it's looks.  too bad audi and bmw are taking so long to bring diesels in the a4, or 3 series.  for me, if the passat feels to soft or big i'll wait for the a3 sedan or 320d whenever that may be coming.

Soft can be fixed. ;) Big? Not so much.  ;D

i will be testing the highline 6spd manual version hopefully with the 18" wheels (which is the sport package. does the sport package mean just adding 18s?)  the trendline has 16s so there will be a difference for sure.

AFAIK it comes with sportier & lower springs.