Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Buick LaCrosse eAssist  (Read 8182 times)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Buick LaCrosse eAssist
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2012, 01:21:22 pm »
$31,645

Nice answer Mike  ::) Are you and Sir Os related?  ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2012, 01:28:04 pm »
So it's quicker to 60 by 0.2 seconds (8.9 sec) than the regular 4 cylinder LaCrosse, and gets better EPA numbers (12.4L/100km city/ 7.8 highway for a four-cylinder 2011 LaCrosse to 9.4/6.3) and this is a bad thing?

But you forgot to include the great equilizer in the above mix: price. The price of the eAssist to obtain the quicker 0.2 sec and better EPA numbers, that is source of the grumble.

$690 over the V6. The regular 4 cylinder has already been discontinued. Using American gas prices, you'd make back the difference in the first year.

You say it's 0.2 sec quicker than the 4-cyl but then give us the $690 over the 6-cyl. Talking about trying hard to put a positive spin?
What's the premium the eASSist commands over the base 4-cyl? Take last year's pricing as a reference point if it's been discontinued for the current year. That should be quite a revelation.

The 4 cylinder is gone, so the 6 is the only relevent number unless you want a used car.

The 2011, 4 cylinder CX had a base price of $31645, the 2012 eAssist has a base of $35415, for a difference of $3770. I don't know if standard equipment is the same for each, and there was a price increase going from year to year, so it may be apples to oranges.

Having said that, using the default numbers from the EPA website, but current Canadian gas prices ($1.19/L, $4.50/gal), you'd be saving $607 a year, or about 6 years to recoupe the price difference between the 2011 4 cylinder and the 2012 eAssist.

If, like me, most of your driving is city (80%) the payback is just a bit over a year.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 01:33:43 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2012, 01:33:44 pm »
$31,645

Nice answer Mike  ::) Are you and Sir Os related?  ;D

Not sure what you are getting at, but that was the base CX in 2011.  It was actually cheaper than the base Regal with the same engine.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2012, 01:54:10 pm »

The 4 cylinder is gone, so the 6 is the only relevent number unless you want a used car.

The 2011, 4 cylinder CX had a base price of $31645, the 2012 eAssist has a base of $35415, for a difference of $3770. I don't know if standard equipment is the same for each, and there was a price increase going from year to year, so it may be apples to oranges.

Having said that, using the default numbers from the EPA website, but current Canadian gas prices ($1.19/L, $4.50/gal), you'd be saving $607 a year, or about 6 years to recoupe the price difference between the 2011 4 cylinder and the 2012 eAssist.

If, like me, most of your driving is city (80%) the payback is just a bit over a year.

Price changes year-to-year aren't dramatic so the basic comparison still stands.
More questions. If you were to put a price tag on the other features that suffered due to the addition of the eAss-ist nicht gut like hampered trunk space, plus the added complexity that, given GM track record, is bound to give many an owner major headaches once the warranty's out.
Plus, you have to put a lot of stock in EPA numbers to make that claim that the price difference can be recouped in the timeframe you indicate.
Too many variables and none in GM's favour.

If you're after comfort and fuel economy, go for the VW Passat 2.0T diesel. Much better fuel economy guaranteed, more passenger and cargo space, better torque, better warranty, and much CHEAPER to boot. Passat is 'premium enough' to be cross shopped against the Regal given their brand value, drivetrain options, and amenities.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2012, 02:07:36 pm »

Price changes year-to-year aren't dramatic so the basic comparison still stands.
More questions. If you were to put a price tag on the other features that suffered due to the addition of the eAss-ist nicht gut like hampered trunk space, plus the added complexity that, given GM track record, is bound to give many an owner major headaches once the warranty's out.
Plus, you have to put a lot of stock in EPA numbers to make that claim that the price difference can be recouped in the timeframe you indicate.
Too many variables and none in GM's favour.

If you're after comfort and fuel economy, go for the VW Passat 2.0T diesel. Much better fuel economy guaranteed, more passenger and cargo space, better torque, better warranty, and much CHEAPER to boot. Passat is 'premium enough' to be cross shopped against the Regal given their brand value, drivetrain options, and amenities.

So you don't want a GM and stack the deck to justify your choice. Well that's your perogative. I've looked at VWs in the past and never purchased because of their pretty dismal reliability record.

The diesel does get better mileage, but depending on the time of year diesel can be either similar to gasoline prices or 10-15% higher.

I've never had a car yet where I couldn't match or exceed the EPA numbers.

As far as power, well MotorTrend got the TDi to 60 in 8.7 seconds, the eAssist Lacrosse did it in 8.9 at C&D. Pretty much a wash.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:14:45 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2012, 11:00:48 am »
A Buick is a Buick and always will be a Buick.  It's still not something I'd want to be seen in and I'm soon to be 64.  I much prefer European design and engineering. I guess I'm still young at heart.

It pretty much is european tuned etc, it's just a rebadged Opel.
GM changed very little for the North American version which is a good thing I've read...

I find the "young at heart" self assessment ironic given that flexibility in thinking is one way to measure that. Saying that "A Buick is a Buick and always will be a Buick" flies in the face of such thinking. Car companies, like people, can change over time. I'm sure there are some Hyundai owners who once thought "I'll never own a Hyundai" , but changed their minds in view of a  changing reality.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12358
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2012, 11:43:17 am »
A Buick is a Buick and always will be a Buick.  It's still not something I'd want to be seen in and I'm soon to be 64.  I much prefer European design and engineering. I guess I'm still young at heart.

It pretty much is european tuned etc, it's just a rebadged Opel.
GM changed very little for the North American version which is a good thing I've read...

I find the "young at heart" self assessment ironic given that flexibility in thinking is one way to measure that. Saying that "A Buick is a Buick and always will be a Buick" flies in the face of such thinking. Car companies, like people, can change over time. I'm sure there are some Hyundai owners who once thought "I'll never own a Hyundai" , but changed their minds in view of a  changing reality.

Agreed with all of that.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.