Author Topic: First Drive: 2012 Toyota Yaris  (Read 16725 times)

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
Re: First Drive: 2012 Toyota Yaris
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 11:28:41 am »
did a quick check on the MSRP of the 2012 Yaris LE with Convenience Pak vs the 2012 Rio LX+
- they both have a/c, cruise, keyless entry - Yaris MSRP - $15,990; Rio LX+ - $15,595

so what do you get for the extra $395 you pay in the 2012 Yaris
- 4 spd (vs 6 spd in the Rio)
- 1.5L engine (vs 1.6L)
- 106 hp (vs 138 hp)
- mileage (5.2 - 6.6) vs (4.9 - 6.6)
- rear drum brake (vs disc)
- no fog lights
- no steering wheel audio controls
- no satillite radio
- no heated front seats

sounds like $395 well spent  ;D

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 11:30:56 am »
Oh what's the fuss about from all the haters?  This is clearly about Toyota reclaiming legendary reliability: no features = nothing to break. ;D

:rofl: There is some truth behind that.  There was a reason the Corolla CE was also so dependable, you had to manually operate everything  ;D

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:21 am »
Toyota is working from one very severe handicap vis a vis its competitors: the Yaris is made in Japan. Anyone noticed what the Yen has been doing for the past five give years? It is has appreciated something like 50% against the US dollar.

Hyundai assembles its cars in low tax, low wage, non-union Alabama, Ford in Mexico. This is the reason the Yaris has been decontented. Even then it is very hard to compete with even the Canadian made Corolla.

On the other hand, Japanese companies are under immense pressure to not export jobs outside of Japan. Japan still sees factory assembly jobs as a major part of the Japanese economy. Toyota would be vilified if moved any more production outside Japan.

The Yaris does not sell well in Japan or the USA for that matter. I would assume that Toyota was not willing to spend a lot on it and would rather devote its engineering resources to their successful hybrid lines, one which they make handsome profits.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2011, 11:55:07 am »
Vanstar let go yer grip on yer testes..............How long has TOYOTA been manufacturing in the USA...they wrap themselves in the Flag every chance they get............Nascar Bee ess et al...grow up
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline mrori

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 01:53:31 pm »
"Montreal, Quebec – The Automobile Protection Association (APA) is investigating reports of failing front suspension control arm bolts on the 2006 to 2010 Toyota Yaris, apparently caused by corrosion.

The APA said that symptoms reported by consumers include a thumping noise after braking or going over a bump. The bolt eventually fails, which can permit excessive free play in the front suspension. The cost of the repair ranges from $100 to as much as $1,700 if the vehicle needs two control arms."

Reliable? I don't think so.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 02:23:02 pm »
did a quick check on the MSRP of the 2012 Yaris LE with Convenience Pak vs the 2012 Rio LX+
- they both have a/c, cruise, keyless entry - Yaris MSRP - $15,990; Rio LX+ - $15,595

so what do you get for the extra $395 you pay in the 2012 Yaris
- 4 spd (vs 6 spd in the Rio)
- 1.5L engine (vs 1.6L)
- 106 hp (vs 138 hp)
- mileage (5.2 - 6.6) vs (4.9 - 6.6)
- rear drum brake (vs disc)
- no fog lights
- no steering wheel audio controls
- no satillite radio
- no heated front seats

sounds like $395 well spent  ;D

Excellent summation, however I'm afraid Toyota types would not go to such lengths to compare.....throw in the usual cheap cheap cheap finance deals Kia offers and that dispartity in pricing only grows.

...those that still believe Toyota is infallable also still likely see Kia as a purveyor of 'also-rans' products, unfortunately.

Fortune favours the bold!

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 03:02:52 pm »
So much hate for Toyota and Honda around here.  Car and Driver had a comparo recently where yaris finished above the Koreans being more fun to drive.  I can't imagine how bady Kia Rio moves down the road when it gets beat by a Yaris  :rofl2:

If everyone bought cars based on value per feature alone everyone would be driving Kias I guess  ;)

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2012-toyota-yaris-se-page-5
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:06:56 pm by greengs »

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 03:15:29 pm »
So much hate for Toyota and Honda around here.  Car and Driver had a comparo recently where yaris finished above the Koreans being more fun to drive.  I can't imagine how bady Kia Rio moves down the road when it gets beat by a Yaris  :rofl2:

If everyone bought cars based on value per feature alone everyone would be driving Kias I guess  ;)

They tested an SE model. I doubt that will be a top selling model

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 03:40:21 pm »
Vanstar let go yer grip on yer testes..............How long has TOYOTA been manufacturing in the USA...they wrap themselves in the Flag every chance they get............Nascar Bee ess et al...grow up

When faced with import quotes in the 1980s, Toyota moved a significant amount of production to the USA. With the Japanese economic meltdown in 1992, along with the removal of quotas, Toyota made a commitment to the Japanese public to try to keep factories in Japan running. This issue has been in the Japanese news quite a bit in recent months. Toyota and Honda are screaming about the exchange rate and pleading at the government to do something about it, at the same time threatening to move more production out of Japan. Safaristi, you can do more research on this yourself by reading the Japan Times and Japan Today, both in English.

The Yaris appears more geared towards India and Thailand where Toyota does quite a lot of production and low price is paramount. I doubt Toyota makes much, if anything, on the Yaris in the USA, where small cars are not very popular anyway. It would not make sense to spend a lot on this product for this reason, other than to keep in the segment.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 03:46:03 pm »

They tested an SE model. I doubt that will be a top selling model

I'm surprised the Sonic finished so high.  I will be in one for a week in early December.  I'm actually looking forward to it

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 04:02:13 pm »

Interesting that Toyota's "build it and they will come" attitude was based on reliability. Wonder how Canadians will react to fact the APA is investigating reports of failing front suspension control arm bolts on the 2006 to 2010 Yaris. http://www.apa.ca/newsitem.asp?id=510

This must be a kick to Toyota's "kintama" ; no longer having their major pillar to rely on, yet stripping down content on their cars. 

Good luck to there shortsighted approach to Canadian buyers, because the new generation of buyers are less brand loyal, demanding value with their buying power.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline spicaphone

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 05:20:46 pm »
I had a 2009 Yaris Le hatchback and this is better in that the seats are bigger,there is a bit more room and the materials are nicer.In LE trim you can get all the stuff you need like heated electric power mirrors and a tach.Very disappointing they did not upgrade the tranny to a 6 speed however.Toyota needs to upgrade that ASAP.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 08:35:09 pm »

Hyundai assembles its cars in low tax, low wage, non-union Alabama, Ford in Mexico.
while i will agree with your Mexico comment, it isn't true with Alabama...Alabama is a right to work state...they still have unions down there...the difference is the unions can't hold the company hostage...as well, Hyundai workers down there get decent wages for what the work entails...you have production line workers there, many with high school educations, making $40k/year with decent benefits and RRSP plans (company shared programs)...what they don't have is the same work force, making $60k/year (up to $100k/year) with massive benefits and golden pension plans...those programs are unsustainable...Toyota in Cambridge/Woodstock is similar, although there don't have a union there.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 09:28:56 pm »

This must be a kick to Toyota's "kintama"

I recall kaizen, but not kintama, unless you're referring to the Japanese slang.  Not official policy or notation.

E!Power

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 01:22:22 pm »
Well Toyota totally pulled a "2012 Civic" on this vehicle makeover.  They didn't change the power train, didn't change the styling that much, and only really spent the minimum to get a vehicle that will make the Toyota lovers happy but do little to bring new customers in the door.  I'm sure that this is a solid vehicle just like the new Civic but it makes me say I want more.  I know both companies are capable of producing the best vehicles in the world but for some reason have no intentions of addressing the current competition coming out of Korea and North America.  I really hope the next generation Fit gets more improved than the current Civic because as it stands today it's still one of the best (but take away those magic chairs/seat then I'm not sure it's as appealing). 

I agree, there needs to be more stuff in order to justify the price. Hope they include more interior amenities and a revised engine/transmission in the future.

Offline keithb

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 08:19:59 pm »
I've had a Yaris for nearly six years. I  find it perfectly suited to my needs and sing it's praises which is hardly a common sentiment for many posters hereabouts. Had a look at a new 3 door in the showroom and would offer my initial impressions.
On the plus side
- exterior restyle generally successful
- two colour seats on the CE and interior material are a nice improvement
- gauge location is good and not blocked by steering wheel although  I found the old center gauges worked well and felt issue was overblown . Seems to be the location for many/most SatNav systems and few negative comments about that.
- height adjustable seat,split rear seat on all models and outside temp gauge
- SE model with rear discs, upgraded suspension goes beyond the typical Toyota approach of just tires/wheels and aero body pieces

On the negative
- disappointed that drivetrain is status quo even though it has worked well in my 2006
- small cost cutting measures e.g. Spare tire cover is flimsier , center dome light is gone
- Big disappointment is loss of interior storage - three glove boxes now one, best cup holders around now run of the mill in center console, several small recesses on new model are too small for much of anything except catching dust

So do I want to run out and exchange old for new? Not really which ,IMO, means Toyota has not been entirely successful in the update.

Would I buy another when the time comes? Maybe but not before a couple of test drives ( Kia Rio being one) . Have already looked at Mazda 2 , Jazz and new Accent and  they have their  pluses. However they also have  drawbacks and have yet to see a "head and shoulders" leader in this segment.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 10:50:01 am »

This must be a kick to Toyota's "kintama"

I recall kaizen, but not kintama, unless you're referring to the Japanese slang.  Not official policy or notation.

Yes Japanese slang. Look it up. Definitely not "official policy"

Offline SapphireSeo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
    • Standard Transmission
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 01:51:18 pm »
I love the restyled look, the car just looks much nicer - still not as good as the Rio or sonic though, but cooler than the Fit. Also, making bluetooth standard across the board on the Yaris is a great move, it's an important safety feature that is finally being addressed aggressively. And I just love that Toyota is keeping the car cheap for those that would benefit from the base price. When it comes to entry level cars I'm happy that flexible economy-pricing is still a priority within Toyota. Still, there are cheaper base vehicles, as well as better options for a touch more money.

I appreciate that the speedo and other gages are back where I like them, but that issue with the tac is confusing. Why can't I have a tac if I buy a better trim? Furthermore, why do I have to buy a 5 door to get the features I want on the 3 door? And the single wiper, though a unique touch for those that appreciate exotic features, isn't appreciated by me. And I'm further disappointed by Toyota's underestimating the value of essential improvements to both engine and drive train when moving into a new generation.

MANUAL ADJUSTABLE MIRRORS?! THOSE ARE FOR MOTORCYCLES! ...Toyota... I trusted you...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 02:01:03 pm »
Toyota is working from one very severe handicap vis a vis its competitors: the Yaris is made in Japan. Anyone noticed what the Yen has been doing for the past five give years? It is has appreciated something like 50% against the US dollar.

Hyundai assembles its cars in low tax, low wage, non-union Alabama, Ford in Mexico. This is the reason the Yaris has been decontented. Even then it is very hard to compete with even the Canadian made Corolla.

On the other hand, Japanese companies are under immense pressure to not export jobs outside of Japan. Japan still sees factory assembly jobs as a major part of the Japanese economy. Toyota would be vilified if moved any more production outside Japan.

The Yaris does not sell well in Japan or the USA for that matter. I would assume that Toyota was not willing to spend a lot on it and would rather devote its engineering resources to their successful hybrid lines, one which they make handsome profits.

:fiver:

Offline mr.steevo

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 04:22:52 pm »
Does the Canadian model get stability and traction control, or is this only the US model?

As for the outside mirror adjustment I thought that was only for the base CE 3 door.  Besides, how often do you really have to adjust them in a year?

Our '06 Yaris has put us off ever buying another Toyota. Not reliable.