Author Topic: I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.  (Read 350730 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
« Reply #1220 on: March 04, 2017, 11:18:24 pm »
I was driving today and the parktronic sensor went off a couple of times while rolling to a stop at an intersection with nothing in front of me. I noticed two amber lights on in the display. I seem to remember from the last time it failed that this is a trouble code of some kind. OTOH it seems to be working normally and going off when I pull into my garage and get close to the back wall. :-\

But wait, it gets better. I went to run an errant tonight and as I was backing out of the garage I got the dreaded "Blind Spot System Inoperative" message. This is the system that was repaired last Wednesday.  ::)  This time I'm getting random activation of the red warning lights in the sideview mirrors. Sometimes it's one side, sometimes both, sometimes neither. Sometimes they are on steady, sometimes blinking slowly. Luckily, it's not setting the audible alarm off.

Words are beginning to fail me. I have to think that if I lived in any number of states with strong lemon laws MB would have bought this car back years ago.

In case anyone is getting suspicious about this thread I swear I'm not making any of this up!

Unreal Graeme!  I honestly can't imagine how you've put up with all this BS over the last few years with the ML.  How many unscheduled visits have you had to make to our local MB dealership since you've owned it?  30?  More?  I know that you like the driving dynamics of the Germans, but has this truly been worth it since you have had the ML?  I'd personally be frustrated so far beyond comprehension,. as I simply wouldn't want to be that inconvenienced over and over.

totally agree...I'd assume I had a lemon!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 04, 2017, 11:26:44 pm »
Whereas I assume they are all like that.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 05, 2017, 12:51:20 am »
Sailor. I admire your patience.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1164
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1223 on: March 05, 2017, 07:28:20 am »
The more complex a car is, the more things that can go wrong in an FGC.

Fixed.

Thanks, it's really what I meant to say.  ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #1224 on: March 05, 2017, 07:34:47 am »
The more complex a car is, the more things that can go wrong in an FGC.

Fixed.

Thanks, it's really what I meant to say.  ;D

OTHO  The most recent CR rankings have Audi as the #1 recommended brand along with an above average reliability rating. Porsche and BMW round out the top three. That comes as a bit of a surprise to me as I've always thought of CR as being in love with Lexus, Toyota, Honda etc etc. :-\

Sadly, Mercedes is ranked 20th....just behind Chrysler!  ::)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars-which-car-brands-make-the-best-vehicles-2017/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:27:02 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #1225 on: March 05, 2017, 08:25:53 am »
I was driving today and the parktronic sensor went off a couple of times while rolling to a stop at an intersection with nothing in front of me. I noticed two amber lights on in the display. I seem to remember from the last time it failed that this is a trouble code of some kind. OTOH it seems to be working normally and going off when I pull into my garage and get close to the back wall. :-\

But wait, it gets better. I went to run an errant tonight and as I was backing out of the garage I got the dreaded "Blind Spot System Inoperative" message. This is the system that was repaired last Wednesday.  ::)  This time I'm getting random activation of the red warning lights in the sideview mirrors. Sometimes it's one side, sometimes both, sometimes neither. Sometimes they are on steady, sometimes blinking slowly. Luckily, it's not setting the audible alarm off.

Words are beginning to fail me. I have to think that if I lived in any number of states with strong lemon laws MB would have bought this car back years ago.

In case anyone is getting suspicious about this thread I swear I'm not making any of this up!

Was that a Freudian slp, or intentional pun?  ;D

All those issues would be maddening for sure, but I think you just got one of the bad ones.  Luckily it's never left you stranded.  We ran into friends a few weeks ago that are on at least their second ML (GLE ?) and they have had good luck with thers.  I've never asked them about theirs in any detail, but they said its been the best vehicle they've ever owned. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #1226 on: March 05, 2017, 03:06:07 pm »
I've never asked them about theirs in any detail, but they said its been the best vehicle they've ever owned.
i've heard that before, but then it's usually followed up with the dealership experience and how they get a free Mocha Frappuccino and artisan baked good while sitting in the corinthian leather chairs in the glassed in waiting area, surfing the web with their complimentary wifi.  :P
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 05, 2017, 04:27:55 pm »
My personal time in dealership visits is worth way more than what you put up with. I just couldn't deal with all the BS of that POS you put up with...warranty or not.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #1228 on: March 05, 2017, 04:34:17 pm »
My personal time in dealership visits is worth way more than what you put up with. I just couldn't deal with all the BS of that POS you put up with...warranty or not.
Yeah, I don't get people who come up with the "its under warranty, who cares"....you don't get the time back. You are a patient man my friend, way more than I.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 05, 2017, 04:37:25 pm »
Yeah, I don't get people who come up with the "its under warranty, who cares"....you don't get the time back. You are a patient man my friend, way more than I.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I agree, dealership time sucks.

Its why I haven't bothered to bring the MDX in for that wicked rattle from the rear window sunshade. Ordered some harness tape off Aliexpress instead to just DIY the fix macguyver style.

OTOH almost all of my dealership trips have been rattle related or regular maintenance. ;D Never had a true out and out lemon.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: March 05, 2017, 04:42:29 pm »
I had 2 visits total for my IS350. Both fort he same recall.

I thought that was one visit too much. Maybe 2. 

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #1231 on: March 05, 2017, 08:46:10 pm »
I almost wonder if sailor would have been better off without the extended warranty.

If it were me, I couldn't care less about stuff like blind spot alerts or parking sensors. If that stuff broke, I'd say "Good riddance" and keep on driving. But if the vehicle is under warranty, then yeah, I'd probably feel like I should go to the dealer and get it fixed...  :-\

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #1232 on: March 05, 2017, 09:14:54 pm »
I almost wonder if sailor would have been better off without the extended warranty.

If it were me, I couldn't care less about stuff like blind spot alerts or parking sensors. If that stuff broke, I'd say "Good riddance" and keep on driving. But if the vehicle is under warranty, then yeah, I'd probably feel like I should go to the dealer and get it fixed...  :-\

As I understand it the problem with doing that with a MB is how so many of the systems are interconnected. I really don't understand this stuff but apparently Benz uses something called Canbus? I'm told faults in one system can and will corrupt other systems if left unresolved.

Maybe some others here who are more savvy about automotive electronics can comment?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 09:19:05 pm by sailor723 »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: March 05, 2017, 09:21:31 pm »
Everything uses CANBUS. Its just a connection protocol.

I'd assume everything today is very interconnected. Its more a matter of how things are designed, though.

I've read that some Honda/Acuras if you don't have TPMS sensors then you lose stability control. ::)

Pristine example is BMW. Battery went flat? No aircon (among other things) for you until you visit the dealer for some stupid computer reset.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #1234 on: March 05, 2017, 09:56:37 pm »
Ugh, yeah all the inter-connectivity bugs me, otherwise I am with Jeff, just disable the blind spot/parking nannies and keep on truckin! Even simpler cars are not immune though; a buddy at work, who has a really long highway commute has an 06-ish Subaru that has some intermittent EVAP code that turn the engine light on and off somewhat randomly....when the engine light is on, no cruise control!

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #1235 on: March 05, 2017, 11:00:13 pm »
Everything uses CANBUS. Its just a connection protocol.

I'd assume everything today is very interconnected. Its more a matter of how things are designed, though.

I've read that some Honda/Acuras if you don't have TPMS sensors then you lose stability control. ::)

Pristine example is BMW. Battery went flat? No aircon (among other things) for you until you visit the dealer for some stupid computer reset.

Worse actually, Hondas don't let you disable stability control without tpms, which means you could get stuck in the winter. Morons.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #1236 on: March 06, 2017, 12:15:58 am »
a buddy at work, who has a really long highway commute has an 06-ish Subaru that has some intermittent EVAP code that turn the engine light on and off somewhat randomly....when the engine light is on, no cruise control!

When I had the O2 sensor heater code the VDC (vehicle dynamics control) wouldn't work on my Subaru, it lit up a light on the dash.   I noticed the cruise also wasn't working, but haven't tried it since I fixed the connector and got rid of the CEL.
It threw another PO1443 evap code this morning on my way home, reset it on the fly as I had my reader already hooked up. Didn't come back...yet.  Evap code doesn't shut off the VDC though.
Mr Pickypants

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1237 on: March 06, 2017, 12:20:48 am »
The CEL has been on in the Forester for a couple years now, on and off, mostly on, and it's had no effect on any part of the car, thankfully.  Back in 2001 they hadn't yet tied everything together.

I'm not sure the reason why traction control systems need to be disabled when anything else is up.  I didn't tighten the gas cap on the Highlander and tripped a gross evap CEL and the VDC was disabled.  But, on the Highlander, the TPMS tripped seems to have no effect on anything else.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #1238 on: March 06, 2017, 06:12:45 am »
The CEL has been on in the Forester for a couple years now, on and off, mostly on, and it's had no effect on any part of the car, thankfully.  Back in 2001 they hadn't yet tied everything together.

I'm not sure the reason why traction control systems need to be disabled when anything else is up.  I didn't tighten the gas cap on the Highlander and tripped a gross evap CEL and the VDC was disabled.  But, on the Highlander, the TPMS tripped seems to have no effect on anything else.

Same for our fusion. I've never put tpms sensors on the winters and no issues other than the occasional bong, and the idiot light stays on until the summers go back on.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #1239 on: March 06, 2017, 09:15:38 am »
I'm too OCD to drive a vehicle with any warning lights on.

That's why I was in such a rush to replace the (rather expensive) parking light on the 325i. I couldn't stand the "ding!" whenever I started the car and the little ! in the corner of the Board computer. Otherwise from a safety standpoint there wasn't much of an impact, as the turn signal bulb is separate.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]