Author Topic: First Drive: 2012 Volkswagen New Beetle  (Read 14105 times)

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2012 Volkswagen New Beetle
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 08:19:25 am »
Wow, I do think kevlar is painfully right - germans "completely missed the purpose of the original car". I just want to add they have identity crisis with the icon relic. Mini, for example, went much ahead in the time building cars with prpose to be attractive for particular customers. And they continue to derive new versions of their iconic Mini. The same now happens with Fiat and their 500. With no irect parallel, I can say Camaro is another example how to exploit own car history.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 09:08:41 am »
Wow, I do think kevlar is painfully right - germans "completely missed the purpose of the original car". I just want to add they have identity crisis with the icon relic. Mini, for example, went much ahead in the time building cars with prpose to be attractive for particular customers. And they continue to derive new versions of their iconic Mini. The same now happens with Fiat and their 500. With no irect parallel, I can say Camaro is another example how to exploit own car history.

$$$ talks.  All of the above have a nostalgic appeal to the boomer generation, that large population bulb whom have more disposable income now than when the originals were out.  These cars are homeruns for this demographic because they hit an emotional chord but offer a more refined ride than their predecessors. 

I like the MK2 design better than the previous as well - can't wait to see one with a proper Herby racing stripe and number - you know VW will play and price that one up big time!

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 10:02:24 am »
I agree with a lot of posters here, another missed opportunity.

Wing, you wondered about a lack of comments. Other than the website not working, maybe a lot of people look at this and go "who cares?" I for one am waiting for some car company to step up and create a legend - if we could 10 or 20 years ago, why not now? Sure, things have gotten heavier and more sanitized, but hasn't technology improved as well?

Original VW GTI. Original CRX. Miata. BMW 2002tii. All legends. Why can't someone create that spark again? I know those cars are from a different era, but there are ways to make light, sporting machines that don't need a ton of power to be fun. Steering feel, for example, my biggest pet peeve in current autodom - what's so hard or expensive about that? Yet it can make a relatively average car feel wonderful to drive.

Until someone makes an effort to do that, I look at this retro-styled thing and couldn't be bothered to cross the street. It will be very nice, I'm sure, but not memorable. Just another automotive appliance.

opg210

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 10:25:07 am »
The cars you want opg210 do exist but they are not sold in NA.   Polo GTI, for example. Renault makes hot versions of some of its small cars and so on.  The UK market still has real 2 seater sports cars such as the Caterham and of course a myriad of pre-loved Lotuses.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 10:30:26 am »
The cars you want opg210 do exist but they are not sold in NA.   Polo GTI, for example. Renault makes hot versions of some of its small cars and so on.  The UK market still has real 2 seater sports cars such as the Caterham and of course a myriad of pre-loved Lotuses.

Also, there is alot of weight gain with the additional safety standards and equipment that is required these days.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 10:55:19 am »
And I do wish VW would put a bullet in that agricultural old 2.5l 5-pot already.

Jaeger
what, you don't like a tractor engine in your car? ;)

At least it's been matted to a 6 speed auto since 2006.   ;)

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 11:20:49 am »
I like it.  Looks almost porsche-like from the rear.  Sign me up for a diesel with a stick.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 11:22:24 am »
I agree with a lot of posters here, another missed opportunity.

Wing, you wondered about a lack of comments. Other than the website not working, maybe a lot of people look at this and go "who cares?" I for one am waiting for some car company to step up and create a legend - if we could 10 or 20 years ago, why not now? Sure, things have gotten heavier and more sanitized, but hasn't technology improved as well?

+1. Saw the article, skimmed through it. Not impressed. On to the next one. The new New beetle doesn't strike me as a legend and it possesses none of the characteristics to become one. Yeah, it's bigger so two more girls can fit in the back. And?

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 11:56:49 am »
Perhaps given the articles direction the "New" in the title should be in lower case

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4911484003/

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 01:24:06 pm »
Well I like the direction this "new", "old", "new-old", "old-new", (.....awww stop already!!!!) design expanded to.
Bigger in most important areas.....alot less a "chick" car.......my apolygies to Minou....would you agree eh?!?    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 02:15:44 pm »
Wow. Rough audience!
The original Beetle design won't work as a modern people's car. The Mini made it's layout obsolete about 50 years ago. Plus, between the Golf and the Polo, VW already has the Beetle replacement in production.

While this is not really a car for me, and yes I did own a 67 Beetle, I can see the point of this as a fun, stylish economy car, that is not just another little hatchback. So it isn't practical. Who cares? Some people just want a car they enjoy.

I do like the looks a whole lot more the the first gen!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 02:38:29 pm »
Perhaps given the articles direction the "New" in the title should be in lower case

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4911484003/

???  ::) :spam:

Offline 2latecrew

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Nissan Sentra (AKA The Toaster)
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 02:53:29 pm »
Looks better than the last generation but there is nothing about this that would make me pick it over even a 2 dr GTI let alone 4 door. Is the centre of gravity lower or higher than the GTI (looks higher)

Not trying to diss people who want to as a fashion accessory while having a better auto underneath but it holds no appeal to me. Inefficient packaging with no redeeming + over its platform mates..at least an EOS has a folding roof.

I'd rather they brought the Scirroco over than build this

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12358
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 03:13:37 pm »
Looks better than the last generation but there is nothing about this that would make me pick it over even a 2 dr GTI let alone 4 door. Is the centre of gravity lower or higher than the GTI (looks higher)

Not trying to diss people who want to as a fashion accessory while having a better auto underneath but it holds no appeal to me. Inefficient packaging with no redeeming + over its platform mates..at least an EOS has a folding roof.

I'd rather they brought the Scirroco over than build this

Agreed.  It seems like some only want to judge the success of this design in comparison to the vehicle it replaces - and no doubt, it's an improvement.  But it won't be competing against the old "New Beetle".

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 03:49:43 pm »
As long as Germans continue to watch with disregard to North American customers, this car will never meet the sales targets here, the same way as previous new beetle. Being more spacious for bigger american asses doesn't helps much. VW needs the same price downgrade policy with newest beetle as the one applied to newest Jetta! Price is vital and they should not continue to play the game with luxury cars like BMW, MB and Audi. By idea Beetle is not a luxury product!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 03:59:08 pm »
Wow. Rough audience!
The original Beetle design won't work as a modern people's car. The Mini made it's layout obsolete about 50 years ago. Plus, between the Golf and the Polo, VW already has the Beetle replacement in production.

While this is not really a car for me, and yes I did own a 67 Beetle, I can see the point of this as a fun, stylish economy car, that is not just another little hatchback. So it isn't practical. Who cares? Some people just want a car they enjoy.

I do like the looks a whole lot more the the first gen!

Exactly. This is a "lifestyle" car like the current Fiat 500 and Mini. None of them are replicating the the cheap, rudimentary, disposable originals.

I liked the previous generation and this one too. At the very least, it's distinctive at a pricepoint filled with anonymous aeroblobs.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 04:19:26 pm »
As long as Germans continue to watch with disregard to North American customers, this car will never meet the sales targets here, the same way as previous new beetle. Being more spacious for bigger American asses doesn't helps much. VW needs the same price downgrade policy with newest beetle as the one applied to newest Jetta! Price is vital and they should not continue to play the game with luxury cars like BMW, MB and Audi. By idea Beetle is not a luxury product!
Well we can agree to disagree and that is ok.   I want VW/AUDI to produce GERMAN cars one small notch below BMW & M-B with the sole concession to America being the legal requirements for emissions and crash tests. 

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 04:53:51 pm »
I believe the car will be a hit. They are not that many alternatives. Fiat 500 and Mini are the closest ones. The rest are either more expensive or lacking the same value.
Bombastic

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 05:03:00 pm »
I believe the car will be a hit. They are not that many alternatives. Fiat 500 and Mini are the closest ones. The rest are either more expensive or lacking the same value.

The big difference between the Beetle and the Fiat 500/Mini is that the Beetle is predominately purchased by women only (or at least from what I've seen over the last several years) whereas I don't think most guys would have any issues getting behind the wheel of a 500 or a Mini. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 10:27:47 pm »
Those VW marketing people should have hired me as a product planning consultant.
I say make 2 versions of the new Beetle, MALE (=sporty) and FEMALE (=cute) edition, then you can sell and please 100% of the buying population.  ;D
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package