Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 627756 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1440 on: March 27, 2015, 07:39:31 pm »

Bottle just has brown front label     They call it an IPA   Back label has a pic of a musician called Sarah Burton.

Each bottle has a different label.  I think there are 100 or so labels per run.  It's pretty cool.

And it's not labeled as an IPA. It's an Extra Pale Ale.. Whatever that means.

And yes Canuck, that is the one.

Get some of that Karma Citra while you're at it.

Excellent, thanks.  I'll see if I can bring in both of those.   :thumbup:
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1441 on: March 27, 2015, 07:45:50 pm »

Bottle just has brown front label     They call it an IPA   Back label has a pic of a musician called Sarah Burton.

Each bottle has a different label.  I think there are 100 or so labels per run.  It's pretty cool.

And it's not labelled as an IPA. It's an Extra Pale Ale.. Whatever that means.

And yes Canuck, that is the one.

Get some of that Karma Citra while you're at it.

All is explained.  I bought a 6 pack, took to a curry  dinner along with the Smashbomb. Didn't drink any myself but as everyone who did said they were very good I  brought one of each home to try later and drank them with pasta last night.

This is off topic, but I'd like to start to experiment in brewing some old school English type ales.   I believe that you're originally from England and no doubt have had tons of classic english style ales.  Is there a particular style that would like to see more Canadian breweries brew here?  Looking for some new ideas for my brewery.  :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #1442 on: March 27, 2015, 08:37:08 pm »
Hmmmm   that is more difficult that one might think...for me.

I was never a bottled beer drinker.
When I was first old enough to get served in a pub, about 16, I didn't have a car nor did I have much money.   All the locals I could get to were in the Watney's Red Barrel stage of keg bitters served under top pressure...not that I knew any difference back then.

A bit later the Real Ale movement appeared and many pubs started selling proper beer and I had transport.   

Real beer was and hopefully still is very regional in character....I lived in the south and in London and only went oop North two or three times in my life.

Lastly I have been over here for 40 years and after the first experience of Molson and Labatt basically stopped drinking beer until the craft beer movement got going here.

My questions to you are.  Do you have a clientèle who will drink draft beer at cellar temperature?  Perhaps 40 to 45 deg F.    Will they drink beer that is much less carbonated that Canadian beers usually are?    I have found that even a couple of drafts I can get in certains pubs here  Fullers ESB and Fullers London Pride  both of which I used to drink in the UK when served here are served far too cold and because of the shipment method under pressure which of course leaves too much gas in the beer.

Maybe it is for you to take a vacation in the UK with mrs Canuck doing the driving and you doing the drinking.   Maybe a look at www.camra.org.uk first!

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
The Beer Thread
« Reply #1443 on: March 27, 2015, 09:09:54 pm »
Kiss my...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1444 on: March 28, 2015, 10:01:24 am »
My questions to you are.  Do you have a clientèle who will drink draft beer at cellar temperature?  Perhaps 40 to 45 deg F.    Will they drink beer that is much less carbonated that Canadian beers usually are?    I have found that even a couple of drafts I can get in certains pubs here  Fullers ESB and Fullers London Pride  both of which I used to drink in the UK when served here are served far too cold and because of the shipment method under pressure which of course leaves too much gas in the beer.

I've noticed a few beers that are served too cold around here, typically porters or stouts. It's annoying.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: March 28, 2015, 10:05:39 am »

Kiss my...

That's a beer I could drink all day long.

Canuck, I'd like to see more bitters being made.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #1446 on: March 28, 2015, 11:07:51 am »
Nice to see the resto/pub I went to last night (Britt's) for my nephew's 30th bday finally had Shane's beer on tap. I was there last fall when they had a locavore theme going and the only local beer on tap was from out of town.  It was a relatively slow afternoon so I went over and asked the manager why no HRB on tap and he said he'd never heard of it.  So I educated him on it and now it's available.   :thumbup:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #1447 on: March 29, 2015, 07:02:44 pm »
Went out for some beers with a buddy last night and we both tried Shane's Colonel Tucker's Golden Ale. It was absolutely delicious, we both loved it.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #1448 on: March 29, 2015, 07:21:13 pm »
Hmmmm   that is more difficult that one might think...for me.

I was never a bottled beer drinker.
When I was first old enough to get served in a pub, about 16, I didn't have a car nor did I have much money.   All the locals I could get to were in the Watney's Red Barrel stage of keg bitters served under top pressure...not that I knew any difference back then.

A bit later the Real Ale movement appeared and many pubs started selling proper beer and I had transport.   

Real beer was and hopefully still is very regional in character....I lived in the south and in London and only went oop North two or three times in my life.

Lastly I have been over here for 40 years and after the first experience of Molson and Labatt basically stopped drinking beer until the craft beer movement got going here.

Maybe it is for you to take a vacation in the UK with mrs Canuck doing the driving and you doing the drinking.   Maybe a look at www.camra.org.uk first!

Absolutely, and a great question as well.  I am currently looking to naturally carbonate in Firkins.  One of my licensees has a couple of Casks on at all times and they sell extremely well.  Carbonation on them is obviously low on them and they are typically served at 44F.  It's just something new that I'd like to get into myself.  I currently brew an ESB (my only English style ale), and would like to serve this from a firkin for more of a traditional English ale experience. 

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #1449 on: March 29, 2015, 07:23:52 pm »
Tom/Oliver, thanks a bunch for the supper and I hope you enjoyed the beers.   Tom, I honestly can't recall what Britt's had on tap of mine over the weekend......what did you end up having?   Oliver, the CT Golden Ale typically isn't my style of beer but it was an appropriate style for UNB's "Golden" Anniversary.  I lightly dry hopped it with Cascade to try and make it a little less pedestrian.   ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #1450 on: March 29, 2015, 08:32:57 pm »
 Re  Fullers ESB.   I bought a firkin ( 9 imp gallons) from the brewery for our emigration party.   Carried it home in the Lotus passenger seat ( or was it the MGB) across west London, set it under our jammed open kitchen window ( December outside temps about 4-8 C  just right) . Dry hopped it with the hops given me at the brewery and left it for 4 days.    It was perfect and we drank every drop at the party.   

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #1451 on: March 29, 2015, 08:34:40 pm »
Re  Fullers ESB.   I bought a firkin ( 9 imp gallons) from the brewery for our emigration party.   Carried it home in the Lotus passenger seat ( or was it the MGB) across west London, set it under our jammed open kitchen window ( December outside temps about 4-8 C  just right) . Dry hopped it with the hops given me at the brewery and left it for 4 days.    It was perfect and we drank every drop at the party.

Awesome!    O0 O0 O0

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #1452 on: March 30, 2015, 08:41:03 pm »
Had this one yesterday afternoon.  Rosabi from Dogfish Head.  It's an 8% Imperial Pale Ale brewed with Wasabi. Its an interesting beer for sure with some subtle spicy notes from the Wasabi, but really enjoyed it.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #1453 on: March 31, 2015, 01:21:18 pm »
had a few amsterdam "cruiser"s... pretty good. sort of a more tame version of the boneshaker. a little less hops.. a little less strength.

i was pleased. have a feeling it will be a common purchase for me this summer.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #1454 on: March 31, 2015, 03:32:13 pm »
had a few amsterdam "cruiser"s... pretty good. sort of a more tame version of the boneshaker. a little less hops.. a little less strength.

i was pleased. have a feeling it will be a common purchase for me this summer.

i'm liking Cruiser as well.    I think it's part of what brewers are calling "session ipa"  "session ales" 
Rhymes & Reason has Saint of Circumstance and Muskoka has Detour.

all really good... the idea is lower alcohol content while still having plenty of flavour. 
great stuff to drink on a patio all day long!

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
The Beer Thread
« Reply #1455 on: March 31, 2015, 07:23:13 pm »
Or the golf course.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: April 01, 2015, 11:43:54 am »
Tom/Oliver, thanks a bunch for the supper and I hope you enjoyed the beers.   Tom, I honestly can't recall what Britt's had on tap of mine over the weekend......what did you end up having?   Oliver, the CT Golden Ale typically isn't my style of beer but it was an appropriate style for UNB's "Golden" Anniversary.  I lightly dry hopped it with Cascade to try and make it a little less pedestrian.   ;D

I actually don't remember.  We arrived late and there was so much conversation going on when we ordered I simply asked for whatever HRB they had on tap.  I do know it was an ale and a very good one.  ;D

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #1457 on: April 01, 2015, 05:22:28 pm »
New HRB t-shirts arrived today.......going up on my website later this evening.   :)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: April 01, 2015, 05:32:55 pm »
Looks good and I like the colour. i'll have to get at least one up for kayaking.  What other colours?

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #1459 on: April 01, 2015, 05:37:41 pm »
Nice!  Fabric?