Author Topic: TESLA Model S  (Read 312126 times)

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
Re: TESLA Model S
« Reply #260 on: November 19, 2014, 11:03:12 pm »
Spent 3 hours today on a journey to put some perspective on my enthusiasm for the Tesla Model S.

Step 1:  Booked test drive knowing a snow storm was forecast for this evening.
Step 2:  Drove Mercedes GLK350 with family to the Toronto/Lawrence Tesla store.
Step 3:  Thoroughly enjoyed my first experience sitting in and reviewing the Model S in person.
Step 4:  Test drive a Tesla Model S P85+ with 21" summer performance tires during a snow storm.
Step 5:  Marvelled at the quality of the driving experience, even when the conditions did not suit the car. Obviously winter tires would have dramatically changed the driving dynamics, but even with crazy low profile summer tires, the car never felt out of control, and the ride experience was exceptional.
Step 6:  Got back in the GLK and realized what a great winter vehicle it is, with all wheel drive and commanding view of the road.

It is clear to me the Model S is an exceptional performance sedan.  Even so, I came away with a more realistic appraisal of the overall "utility" of this amazing car. 

Bluntly, even though I am taller than average, the lower driving position, combined with the angles of the pillars reduced my visibility compared to the two vehicles I am used to, namely, my Mercedes GLK and Smart ED.  It reminded me of driving my 1996 Camaro Z28, in that the long hood and deep cocoon driving position was great for high speed runs, but less practical for driving around the neighbourhood and parking.

My wife noted that the visibility out of the rear seats for her was far less than optimal for viewing scenery for road trips for the kids.

All in all, a truly impressive car, with world class technology, and true ease of use.  In particular, the massive touch screen to control every aspect of the car was stunning, bright, and fun to use.

I have gained even more respect for what Tesla have accomplished, and am looking forward to future vehicles in their lineup to see what makes most sense when the GLK has lost it's lustre (to us) over the next while.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #261 on: November 20, 2014, 09:12:37 am »
  ^
^^
Sounds like a great car. Ever consider the upcoming Tesla SUV the X ? It may be better suited for your needs.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #262 on: November 29, 2014, 10:20:01 pm »
http://blog.caranddriver.com/tesla-ceo-elon-musks-next-big-disruption-isnt-a-new-car-its-a-new-battery/

Musk’s ambition—he claims the Gigafactory will supply battery packs for 500,000 cars per year by 2020—means Panasonic could be manufacturing billions of battery cells annually for Tesla. That kind of volume would allow Tesla to create its own economies of scale for a new battery shape rather than depend on the 18650. “The sheer size of the Gigafactory allows us to drive what is the most cost-effective size of the battery,” Rauh says.

Panasonic is studying new cylindrical-cell geometries that would optimize both the cost and the energy density for Tesla’s needs. Today’s Model S lithium-ion battery already uses a nickel-intensive cathode that is cheaper than the usual cobalt chemistry, but Tesla acknowledges that it is working with new cathode and anode materials for its next-generation battery, hoping to improve cost, density, and longevity.

It kind of makes sense that an electric car would use larger cells than those originally designed for laptops. Cheaper per kWh and easier to package and replace. My vote goes for 38120 format. Google "38120HP", at 10C discharge rate that is wild stuff  8)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1164
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #264 on: December 08, 2014, 10:27:52 am »
Oh yes, they are located right here in Quebec City, probably a couple of km from my house. They started by wanting to do a kit car, then changed their mind to electrify that kit car. They are also talking about developping an electric Taxi. There is obviously the question of financing but where I am doubtful, is about their capacity to bring something new, like Tesla did, to the market. I mean I do not think they have any breaktrough to bring, they just want to build cars with existing technology.

How many have we seen try that and fail in the past..

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 08, 2014, 10:55:55 am »
Oh yes, they are located right here in Quebec City, probably a couple of km from my house. They started by wanting to do a kit car, then changed their mind to electrify that kit car. They are also talking about developping an electric Taxi. There is obviously the question of financing but where I am doubtful, is about their capacity to bring something new, like Tesla did, to the market. I mean I do not think they have any breaktrough to bring, they just want to build cars with existing technology.

How many have we seen try that and fail in the past..

Thanks for the info. As much as I'd like to see a Canadian company succeed here. I believe the highest rate of success lies with established car companies electrifying their vehicles. Established companies have production facilities and processes already setup. I understand that Tesla is a special case here and were able to make grounds against established automotive companies but albeit with timing, technology and some luck.
Now if they were to focus on an inexpensive "good looking" commuter car they might have a slim chance. If I had 100K budget for a luxury car the Tesla or BMW I8 would be my top contenders.

http://dubucmotors.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=35CsQ-Qw4TI
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 11:18:47 am by redman »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 13, 2014, 01:17:50 pm »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 15, 2014, 04:28:49 pm »
New AWD model S in real world driving. WANT!!  :fall:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsI_3wR4N28

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: TESLA Model S - On How It's Made Dream Cars
« Reply #268 on: December 25, 2014, 10:55:22 am »
How It's Made Dream Cars, part one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyTq4Nb8VP4
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 10:57:37 am by EV Dan »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: TESLA Model S - On How It's Made Dream Cars
« Reply #269 on: December 25, 2014, 10:56:58 am »
How It's Made Dream Cars, part two:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u9zDMiTjQI

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 09, 2015, 11:34:46 am »
Watch until the end; it draws a lot of current and a little change  :rofl2:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cA1doO_9h8

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 28, 2015, 08:01:24 pm »
So the P85D turned out to be a tad slower than the Stingray. Big deal, one can't be the best at everything. But apparently Musk's feelings were a little hurt:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/41668-Rumor-P85D-firmware-update-to-increase-0-60-performance-to-2-8s
See the first post  :o

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: TESLA Model S - the snow traction of P85D
« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2015, 12:27:09 pm »
Surely P85D is insanely fast, but what does it feel like to drive one in the snow?

http://youtu.be/eObSjtU6YXc

I have X-Ice3 winters on my Genny (RWD) and I like them very much but I can only imagine how sweet it must be to have double the traction during acceleration.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2015, 05:14:52 pm »
??? Spectrum analyzer in the dash display?  First time I've seen that.  :-\.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2015, 09:58:37 pm »
??? Spectrum analyzer in the dash display?  First time I've seen that.  :-\.

Energy consumption. It's useful if the driver wants to learn e.g. a difference of going 100kph and 120kph.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 16, 2015, 04:03:22 pm »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 25, 2015, 11:01:30 am »
Why don't you consider the Leaf or the Kia Soul?

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 25, 2015, 02:47:04 pm »
I wouldn't consider either where I am now as the nearest town is 40 minutes away but if i were still in the city I'd probably buy an Ev. I wouldn't buy the Kia because, well, it's a Kia.  ;D haven't seen any available either here in Ontario. the Leaf I would consider but 10% battery degradation in a year isn't acceptable in a vehicle I'd be intending to keep long term. I get it's not much of an issue for most people as they only keep it a couple years and lease another one but I'd be buying and keeping it so it'd be a no-go.

If it weren't for that one issue, I'd even risk having to deal with Nissan dealers and get one. If I were in a more urban area. As it is, I'd need a range of at least 300 km to use an EV here. That would be just enough for my trips to Newmarket and back even taking into account  winter range.

If Nissan ever fixes the range degradation of the Leaf then it'd be on my list to consider. But again, that'd be if we moved back to the city as it still wouldn't have enough range out here beyond in town usage. Anything beyond basic needs and the drive is a good 30-40% beyond even the Leaf's range.

Still. I keep researching as 10 years ago, and maybe even as recently as five I'd have never even CONSIDERED an EV under any circumstance. Now? Well, they're a much more realistic alternative. I look at my "real world" rather than imaginary "reasons why an EV is out of the question!!" driving back when I was still working and commuting and see an EV would have worked perfectly as it would for probably 80% or more of people living in the city. My drive to work was 11 km each way and anything we did was within a 10 kn range in general. If we were to say head towards the centre of the city to visit my Mom (We were in Etobicoke last time. I admit when I moved there I considered it "the sticks" lol) it's still be within range. But would I have considered an EV then? Nope.  I was a "CARGUY!!!!" I don't want to drive no toaster!!! :rofl2: Blah blah blah.....

And it's more than saving money on gas, and no I don't buy into the "Evil oil companies the terrorists are COMING!!!!" B.S. either. It's simpler than that. I hate having to line up for gas and if I can avoid it I have no issue with that. I used to think thast with all the computerized crap in an EV it'd be more complicated. But uh, one day realised that with the computers running all the emissions crap, fuel systems, transmissions, etc, that if anything the EV would have LESS! I mean, how complicated is a BIG industrial electric motor? I thought, yeah, we buy drills and fans and other items with electric motors, think nothing of it as they last for decades without a problem day after day after day. So much for THAT theory Den! hahaha.

As someone who did my own maintenance I know too well what a pain in the butt it is to get rid of old oil, transmission fluid, engine coolant, etc and I'm sure it's steadily getting worse. So, an EV. No rad, hoses, transmission fluid/filter, oil changes. filters. air filters, fuel filters, exhaust system to replace, etc. I never put any thought to any of that before and when I did, Hmmmmm........... :rofl2:

And so right now I'm thinking I'll compromise with a plug in hybrid. that's ironic too as I always laughed at that concept thinking it just SILLY!! But again. Unless I'm off for an appointment or major shopping, my driving is all within about a 5 km or less radius. I often don't have ANY need to drive for days at a time and when I do it's walking difference but because of my health/weather/the combination of the two am not able to walk it. I also drive a friend who uses a cane to his appointments within town and when I'd do it with the "Beast", an '88 Ford RV van, it'd burn more fuel warming up for the drive than it's burn on the entire driving part of the drive most likely. I like that an EV only runs when you need to move and does not run when you're sitting in the driveway where in a gas car you're sitting there waiting for it to warm up. I always though remote starters in a Prius was an oxymoron!

IF I ever move back to the GTA I will most likely be buying EVs. I think in a Province where merely passing someone can get your car impounded and your license taken away, that finding another way to make driving interesting beyond things that will get one arrested here would be fun. Also, it appeals to my obsessive nature.  :rofl2:

The main thing is that it requires changong my entire approach to driving. I have no issue with that. I look forward to it.

10% battery degradation in 1 year on the Leaf is false. Reports are that you loose about 8% in 4 years. Look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6V1bJJwJhEg
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:53:17 pm by Guy »

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 28, 2015, 10:57:45 pm »
I haven't seen any range loss in 1.5 years with my Smart ED.
Then again, I never use all the range, so it wouldn't matter anyway.
Loving' the silent and swift driving.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: TESLA Model S - no charger, no problem.
« Reply #279 on: March 30, 2015, 01:12:23 pm »
www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ANR-leiB8

I will skip on the ethical side of asking to tow your tesla and putting it in the regen mode.
The guy is saying that the car is being charged at 60kW rate and every 2km of towing adds 5km to the battery range, so a lot faster than any level 2 charger. What a jerk  ;D