Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1636260 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #2900 on: August 19, 2014, 07:35:11 pm »
Yeah and you would think in a job where you stare at a computer all day, they would offer better eyecare.

They offer us an upgrade package.  For $300 more a year we can buy another $150 cover... WUT?  LOL

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #2901 on: August 20, 2014, 12:56:18 pm »
Made this custom shroud for cleaning my dryer duct today. The yogurt container was a nice snug fit over the 4" opening.  Took the nut off the end of the air chuck, drilled a hole in the bottom of the container the size of the shaft, then poked the shaft through and threaded the nut back on tight.  Sealed it up with some tuck tape and it worked great!   :)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2902 on: August 20, 2014, 01:05:29 pm »
Very clever, but what's happening in that pic.  Why is the vent where it is and where does it run to?  Why is the AC outlet essentially a floor level?  Must be a weird and whacky reason.  :)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: August 20, 2014, 02:32:50 pm »
Looks like a main floor laundry room setup.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2904 on: August 20, 2014, 02:37:48 pm »
Very clever, but what's happening in that pic.  Why is the vent where it is and where does it run to? Why is the AC outlet essentially a floor level?  Must be a weird and whacky reason.  :)
That was probably how far the wired reached lol

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: August 20, 2014, 05:00:31 pm »
^^ It's a main floor laundry room and it's only 5 x 7'.  The vent position is a real PITA in the extreme considering there is a baseboard heater in front of the dryer blocking a direct path to slide it out.  Getting it out is no big deal but to get it back in I have to disconnect the washer and slide it ahead with the door closed while alternately shuffling the washer and dryer around in order to get them in a position to open the door again in order to let my wife in and give me room to lay on the floor.  I then get my wife to slide it gently forward while simultaneously tilting it slightly backward while I lie on the floor in order to guide it in place.  My wife hates it when I have to do work in there because it always means lot of swearing because it's such a miserable :censor: place to work. Not sure why anything is the way it is, but I just gotta deal with the cards I've been dealt... :P

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:04:20 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2906 on: August 20, 2014, 08:32:37 pm »
You're not quite alone.  I built my place so I am the author of my own misfortune.  To get the stackable washer off the master walkin, in it's own room with a door, I had to install a 28 inch door because the room was only 4ft 10 inches finished in depth. I could have had the door opening outwards, but that would be rank.

The only issue is when one of the machines craps out I've got to remove the door frame which requires lots of trim work.  Only have had to do it once when the old school Kenmore front loader washer bit the dust after 10 years.  Replaced with a Samsung Direct Drive (VRT).  What a machine.  Never thought I'd say that about a clothes washer.

Your pics explain much.  That dryer vent is located on an inside wall I assume.  So the installer had to drive it down to the next floor thru the plate.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #2907 on: August 22, 2014, 04:02:44 pm »
Replaced our deck railing.  Original railing was only 2.5 years old and was made from cedar by my FIL.  However,  what I didn't realize is how fast cedar moulds and it moulds even faster when fed by an oil based stain (which we did).  Rather than sand/clean and restain every few years, we decided to tear down and go with powder coated aluminum.  Kind of a shame to waste all that cedar, but the decision was made.  It took a couple days for me to install the new rail and was fairly straight forward.

The deck has yet to be stained but will be complete before summers end.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:06:24 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2908 on: August 22, 2014, 04:12:40 pm »
Replaced our deck railing.  Original railing was only 2.5 years old and was made from cedar by my FIL.  However,  what I didn't realize is how fast cedar moulds and it moulds even faster when fed by an oil based stain (which we did).  Rather than sand/clean and restain every few years, we decided to tear down and go with powder coated aluminum.  Kind of a shame to waste all that cedar, but the decision was made.  It took a couple days for me to install the new rail and was fairly straight forward.

Looks great! major improvement.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: August 22, 2014, 04:16:40 pm »
^^ Yeah that was a big improvement.  Much better view of the yard and house now without those over-sized rail posts.  Nice job!  :thumbup:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2910 on: August 22, 2014, 04:17:34 pm »

Wow, that looks much better. I like the aluminum rails, looks great and "0" maintenance.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #2911 on: August 22, 2014, 04:26:38 pm »
Yeah, that looks much better, I really like the contrasting color of the metal railings against the wood.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #2912 on: August 22, 2014, 08:42:45 pm »
Nice.  More open look.  Maybe it's the lighting, but the house looks like it has a different color in the 2nd picture. 

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #2913 on: August 22, 2014, 08:51:38 pm »

Agreed. Suits the deck so well. Well done!

Looks great! major improvement.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #2914 on: August 22, 2014, 09:56:10 pm »
Our coverage is crap, $200 very 2 years for glass

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Better than mine.  $150 every 2 years.  Doesn't even cover contacts or 1/4 of a pair of glasses these days.
My plan covers eye glass purchases from the US. You should do the same.

Try:

Lookmatic.com
Classicspecs.com
Warbyparker.com
Mezzmer.com
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2915 on: August 23, 2014, 03:21:51 am »
Thanks all for the compliments!  It helps make the effort and money spent worth it. We're happy with the outcome.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread- Good deal found on Canadian tire
« Reply #2916 on: August 23, 2014, 01:18:22 pm »
Goodyear eagle GTs high performance all season are 50%off right now if you are looking for tires.

Clearing out the old stock it seems as they are now discontinued 

I have half a mind to pick up a set as a backup in case sh1t happens.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: August 25, 2014, 07:52:03 pm »
Musicianswebstore was having a crazy good sale on these high end Suzuki harmonicas with rosewood combs. 50% off so I bought 2 for the price of one.

Some quick test recordings...

With the A flat:

https://soundcloud.com/dex-robinson/killing-me-softly

With the E flat:

https://soundcloud.com/dex-robinson/suicide-is-painless-1

Here's a rougher bonus track with the E flat. This is FOLLOW THAT DREAM from the Elvis movie. The song requires note "bending"; a technique to force notes from the harmonica that aren't otherwise available. It's not too refined but it's ok.

https://soundcloud.com/dex-robinson/follow-that-dream-b

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: August 25, 2014, 07:53:46 pm »
For those of us who don't play harmonica...can you detect any better sound on a high end harmonica?

Or is it just better build quality?

Offline Dexer

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-167
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: August 25, 2014, 08:19:35 pm »
For those of us who don't play harmonica...can you detect any better sound on a high end harmonica?

Or is it just better build quality?

The sound is better...or, perhaps I should say, the "playability" is better.

A good example is that E flat harmonica. E flat is quite a high key (in harmonicaland). Normally, at the 9 and 10 holes (B flat, A flat, E flat and C) you have to stuggle to get a good tone. Notes in these holes tend to be squeaky and have unpredictable response...which is to say that you often have to blow a lot of air and then they will suddenly jump from dead silent to overly loud. With a high quality harmonica, these notes will have an even, predictable response in that they will produce a good, quiet tone with a miniumum of air and they will slowly become louder without changing pitch as you increase air pressure.

High end harmonicas are analogous to high end cars. With a harmonica, 90% of playing takes place in the middle holes (3 through 7) and any decent quality harmonica will handle that just fine. It's when you start getting to those limits outside of the normal playing range that you start to see the benefits of a more expensive, high performance instrument.