Author Topic: Civic H/B  (Read 4629 times)

russ_acosta

Civic H/B
« on: November 08, 2005, 05:25:56 pm »
is this model gonna be available here in canada soon?  http://www.honda.co.uk/2006civic/

paulk

Re: Civic H/B
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 05:48:13 pm »
Probably not.  Honda hasn't said anything about it, and it wouldn't really make sense.  The Honda Fit hatchback is coming in March, and it's unlikely that Honda would want two lower-end hatchbacks competing with one another.

(Also, the current Civic Hatchback isn't even available in the Japanese domestic market.  It's probably intended as a Euro-only vehicle.)

russ_acosta

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 06:05:08 pm »
too bad.  i think it could compete well with mazda3 sport and matrix.  i almost regretted that i just recently bought my scooby impreza.  NOT!!!  :-)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 06:07:53 pm »
The impreza is an awesome car, I wouldn't regret one either :)

froggy

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 06:14:01 pm »
I saw a Corolla Hatchback yesterday at Home Depot. Actually it was called Corolla Verso. Pretty close to Mazda 5, as it looked like a mini-mini (micro?  ???) van. Of course it had the red plates (diplomatic)

Traum

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 06:20:01 pm »
Well, we have a Corolla hatchback here in North America as well, it's just that it is called the Matrix.

-Rick

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 09:56:39 pm »
I've also seen the Corolla Wagon running around town (Ottawa).  Looks nothing like the Matrix ... I wouldn't say it looks better.  ;D
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

siwash

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 11:01:06 pm »
i'm not crazy about Hondas for a good reason.. that car is tacky.. looks like a pontiac esigner got his hands on it...

paulk

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 12:53:07 am »
There are better photos of the Euro Civic Hatchback here:
http://www.channel4.com/4car/gallery/H/honda/civic/06-civic_page_4.html

Personally, I like it.  The styling is edgy and way out there. 

The rear door handles are probably the most unusual touch... at first glance, the vehicle looks like it only has two side doors.  Then if you look closer, you see the two rear doors, but there aren't any handles, so it seems like it has suicide doors like the RX-8.  Then if you look really closely, you see that they've embedded the rear door handles in the corner of the window itself!  I can't think of any previous car that has that kind of arrangement.

It also has those great movie theatre fold-upwards rear seats like the Honda Fit, and an optional leather interior that competes nicely with the Mazda3.  It's unfortunate that we probably won't be getting it here, at least in the forseeable future.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 01:03:32 am »
Styling doesn't do a lot for me...  I'd much rather have the Fit on looks alone.  Of course, sell me the hb Civic with the 200hp Si engine and, well...

JoeY

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 01:05:53 am »
Looks sharp just like a concept, but I'll bet you pay the price for accord to get those leather trim etc and etc...

Any specification of engine?

paulk

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 01:20:35 am »
They offer it with the 1.4 iDSI, the 1.8 iVTEC (the one we get), a 2.2 L diesel, and as a hybrid.  Lots of choice about the engine, but not much choice about the body -- in the markets where the hatch is sold, there is no coupe or sedan, just the hatchback.  All of them are quite expensive.  The mid-range 1.8 L "Sport" is the equivalent of $31,000 CDN.  The cheapest 1.4 L trim is $26,000 CDN.  But cars and everything else are always expensive in Britain.

JoeY

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 01:28:52 am »
They offer it with the 1.4 iDSI, the 1.8 iVTEC (the one we get), a 2.2 L diesel, and as a hybrid.  Lots of choice about the engine, but not much choice about the body -- in the markets where the hatch is sold, there is no coupe or sedan, just the hatchback.  All of them are quite expensive.  The mid-range 1.8 L "Sport" is the equivalent of $31,000 CDN.  The cheapest 1.4 L trim is $26,000 CDN.  But cars and everything else are always expensive in Britain.

Gotta be kidding me, Civic for 30 grands? I'll go for Acura RSX instead.

paulk

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2005, 01:38:26 am »
There's no Acura in Britain... but to put the Civic in comparison, in Britain the base trim, manual transmission Accord starts at $34800 CDN.

mdxtasy

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 02:11:59 am »
I saw a Corolla Hatchback yesterday at Home Depot. Actually it was called Corolla Verso. Pretty close to Mazda 5, as it looked like a mini-mini (micro?  ???) van. Of course it had the red plates (diplomatic)

What is a diplomat doing at Home Depot?  The consulate requires a few home improvement touches?   That's what taxpayers are for.  :rofl2: 

froggy

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 11:55:27 am »
I saw a Corolla Hatchback yesterday at Home Depot. Actually it was called Corolla Verso. Pretty close to Mazda 5, as it looked like a mini-mini (micro? ???) van. Of course it had the red plates (diplomatic)

What is a diplomat doing at Home Depot? The consulate requires a few home improvement touches? That's what taxpayers are for. :rofl2:

I know!  :rofl2:
Maybe they should get Chretien or that guy form the Mint to teach them on how to expense stuff...  :hide: >:D

froggy

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 11:59:46 am »

Yes thing are more expensive in Europe!!!
But once again, you have to compare OTR prices (ie with Freight+PDi and all taxes in). So 31k would be a MSRP of 25-26k. Still expensive but now imagine when the euro was worth 1.7 CAN!!!  :o

JoeY

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 12:04:43 pm »

Yes thing are more expensive in Europe!!!
But once again, you have to compare OTR prices (ie with Freight+PDi and all taxes in). So 31k would be a MSRP of 25-26k. Still expensive but now imagine when the euro was worth 1.7 CAN!!!  :o

No wonder they are trying to sell VW at unreal price here... hello germ dudes ~ get a grip this is north america! We are poor bastard and can only offord 20 grands... hello? Anyone listening ?

poopoo head

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 01:47:46 pm »
I've also seen the Corolla Wagon running around town (Ottawa).  Looks nothing like the Matrix ... I wouldn't say it looks better.  ;D

what year was it?  i didn't know they make current corolla wagons...

froggy

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 02:12:01 pm »

what year was it? i didn't know they make current corolla wagons...

I'd guess it was a '05 or an '06, They even have a Yaris Veros for Ross!!! Can fit more loot in the trunk!!!  :rofl: