Author Topic: The rise of long interval oil and filters  (Read 3939 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: The rise of long interval oil and filters
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2022, 05:00:15 pm »
Ford F150s and the MDX use the vehicle's computer.  If you go the distance with the computer one can get 15K km before hitting NIL which I think is a little on the high side.  The Armada is typical Nissan; 8K km or 6 months which when using a "full synthetic" is a bit on the low side for mainly highway.

I'm pretty sure all mainstream Fords come with the same basic engine oil 5W20.  Not what I would be running in a twin turbo 400 HP V6.  Probably will change after 5K km and then switch to Ford's "full synthetic" and just watch the colour of the oil.  At 8k km the oil in The Armada is still amber.  By 12K km on the MDX the oil is getting dark.
Yeah! My F150 typically asked for an oil change between 7k-10k….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve, '04 G35 Coupe 6MT
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2022, 05:03:11 pm »

Wow, hadn't looked at the price of motor oil off the shelf in a while.  My indy just did an oil and filter change (5W-30) in the 128 last week for $94.04 + HST using 7L of oil.  Glad to let him do it at that price.

At what intervals?

I'm getting my mechanic to put in my oil and filter too. $114 plus tax and I won't be back for a year.

I don't even know the intervals off the top of my head, but I only drive this car in the summer....4k this year....so one oil change a year (before winter storage).

I just reset the oil service minder on my buddy's '11 328 and it showed 23K and 24 months.

Yup, in that era, BMW used to suggest 1y or 24,000km. It's because they provided those maintenance packs for four years, to minimize the dealer's spend at that time. Ridiculous IMO. When the N20 came out in 2012, they were instantly grenading too, so I'm pretty sure this interval was shortened when they found out they were spending more on engine warranty claims than savings on oil changes.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2022, 07:52:58 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr59m2Qq3P0

While we are on topic. Pre-filling of oil filters and using a flood mode if not. Fresh video.

I don't know for certain but I suspect there would be an electric oil pump in Toyota hybrids, so it should build up oil pressure before the engine start-up. Maybe I'd consider filing it up if the filter were screwed from the bottom. As it is horizontal in A25A engines, the process would likely be frustrating. A pre-lubed filter ring is however appreciated.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2022, 12:01:16 pm »
I wonder who makes the Kirkland synthetic motor oil.  https://www.costco.ca/kirkland-signature-5w30-full-synthetic-oil-for-automobile%2c-2-pack.product.100572103.html

For those that DIY, why not go cheaper oil like that, OE filter, and change a little more often?  Is it just to save on time and clean up?

We are a dealer once per year family, but the most our vehicles see is maximum 10,000kms and typically it’s closer to 8,000kms.

Kirkland's oil is not extended interval, just manufacturer's recommendation.

Yea time, clean up, and money in the end. I refuse to run dino oil and there's not a huge cost difference in manufacturer's interval vs extended interval synthetic oil.

To the OP The Mobil extended high mileage can be found on regular sale at Crappy Tire for low $40s.

Yea I'll wait to get oil for my partner's car which is not quite due yet but will be soon.

Mobil1's Extended Performance oil and filter good for 24,000km  .... *

You see that little asterisk at the end?  That's the catch.  I feel guilty as h*ll going 14K km on my Leasers using that same oil.  I don't even have any skin in the game because those vehicles on average are gone from me in 3 years, but I do feel a duty of care to the vehicle and to the next owner.  Not to hand them a prematurely worn engine.  What a waste of resources.  That's as woke as I get though.  ;D   

With a newer car under warranty, I would follow manufacturer's intervals or the oil minder just to maintain that warranty.

I've used Amsoil's Signature Series oil and filter for years with no issues.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2022, 01:23:03 pm »
Oh look, $38.99 starting Thursday.  :rofl2:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2024, 03:11:00 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHNHjHd54fE

This is what 16,000 km oil looks like in a GDI Hyundai. (rainman ray)

I used to do 6,000 oil changes by the book, synthetic, end even then the oil came out very dirty. I believe the issue was in the engine tuning: GDI, 330HP out of a 3.8L NA V6 and as a result it made a lot of soot. As I said many times before, frequent oil changes are a cheap way to keep an engine happy.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2024, 05:37:41 pm »
Only watched the first 2 minutes....

Car brought in 10K miles AFTER sticker distance. So what was the interval before that? Unknown?

Owner has no clue when the oil was changed last.

So unless the video shows the exact distance/time since the oil was last changed, the video is practically meaningless. Who knows how this car has been treated. Maybe it has had only one oil change in its life.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2024, 05:51:04 pm »
Only watched the first 2 minutes....

Car brought in 10K miles AFTER sticker distance. So what was the interval before that? Unknown?
Well, the car didn't make it to 90k miles on its original factory fill because... it's already on its 2nd engine, LOL.

Owner has no clue when the oil was changed last.
The sticker shows 10k miles ago. It wouldn't be less based on the oil condition.

So unless the video shows the exact distance/time since the oil was last changed, the video is practically meaningless. Who knows how this car has been treated. Maybe it has had only one oil change in its life.
Not well, apparently. 2 engines means it's had at least 2 fresh oil fills  ;D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2024, 01:45:18 pm »
Most vehicle engines could use as catch can.  I'm thinking about one for the 3.5TT in the Tremor as I might just keep the thing.

I love watching the car care nut on the youtube.  His advice is to take the manufacture's oil interval and halve it.  On that occasion, it was regarding a Toyota using 0W16.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2024, 02:57:53 pm »
The only way to know for sure if you can extend oil changes is to lab test old oil and check the filters. The LR4 and Ridgeline go about 12k kms between changes on Mobil1 EP. Both have had oil analysis done years back at that interval and the oil TBN and viscosity was still ok with good margin. Use a good filter and no problemo. Currently my filter faves are Mobil1 and Wix XP. Both engines at around 210k kms. Peaking down into the oil fill with a boroscope I can see a golden hue on the metal but no sludge.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2024, 04:08:12 pm »
Most vehicle engines could use as catch can.  I'm thinking about one for the 3.5TT in the Tremor as I might just keep the thing.

I love watching the car care nut on the youtube.  His advice is to take the manufacture's oil interval and halve it.  On that occasion, it was regarding a Toyota using 0W16.

There is a tech called "Ford boss me" on youtube. He used to work at the dealer and with some engine designs (DI + turbo) they were having serious sludge and carbon build-up issues with once a year, long interval oil changes. His advice is basically the same.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2024, 05:10:01 pm »

There is a tech called "Ford boss me" on youtube. He used to work at the dealer and with some engine designs (DI + turbo) they were having serious sludge and carbon build-up issues with once a year, long interval oil changes. His advice is basically the same.

Have seen that too, very small oil passages on some Ford engines that can cause trouble

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2024, 06:27:20 pm »
How many people on this forum use a oil catch can on the crankcase recirculation loop?  Nobody?  I have one on the Mustang's 3.7 V6.  I can't believe how much errant oil that catches.  However, much depends on how high and often it gets revved out.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2024, 08:44:20 pm »
I ran a catch can on my old Volvo V70R. Have been meaning to set up the LR4 but it has a much different PCV system.

Fratello73

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2024, 07:20:48 am »
I don't know about you, but I think cars nowadays aren't built to last. So, seeing reputable companies like Mobil releasing oils that can last 25,000 km, when generally, many people change their cars every 2 years, I don't see much use for it. Plus, if I want to keep my car longer, I'll take care of it and logically choose shorter oil change intervals. But hey, maybe the important thing is that there are as many types of products as there are consumers?