Author Topic: Insuring cars in separate provinces with one driver's license  (Read 1011 times)

Offline cross-canada

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mercedes GLE 450
Insuring cars in separate provinces with one driver's license
« on: November 13, 2020, 04:45:01 pm »
If I'm a BC resident with a BC driver's license, how can I insure an Ontario-registered car that is garaged at my house in Ontario and never leaves Ontario?

The insurance brokers I spoke with in Ontario tell me I'm out of luck because I need to have an Ontario driver's license. But I spend most of my time in BC and drive a car there, and I'm only allowed to have one license at a time.

What's interesting is that I can rent a car in Ontario with a BC license for as long as I want. It's surprising that whatever commercial insurance policy being used by the rental company isn't available to retail customers even at a premium.

Weird problem, but nobody seems to know what to do.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Insuring cars in separate provinces with one driver's license
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 06:52:40 pm »
Someone else asked that same question, maybe within the last year, I don't think they ever reported a good solution back to us
Mr Pickypants

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 12:21:56 am »
If you're a BC resident with a BC driver's license, then why not register the car in BC as well? You'd just be driving the car in Ontario as a visitor, same as anyone who drives to Ontario for a summer holiday.

From https://www.brokerlink.ca/blog/driving-with-out-of-province-plates-in-ontario :

"If you are here in Ontario as a visitor, as long as you have a valid Canadian driver’s license, license plates and insurance policy, you’re safe! You are allowed to drive here, and you are covered by your existing insurance policy back home.

If you plan on visiting Ontario for an extended period of time, remember to notify your insurance broker in advance. This is so they can make any appropriate policy changes or increase your level of coverage if necessary."

I'd call ICBC and see what they say.

Offline VictorsiuDowd

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bmw f82
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 09:24:52 am »
Navigating insurance requirements for cars in different provinces can indeed be a unique challenge. It's frustrating when you're met with conflicting information from insurance brokers.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 12:08:28 pm by VictorsiuDowd »

Offline cantakowep

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: M6
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 11:20:11 pm »
It's definitely a complex issue, but with the right information and expert guidance, you may find a solution that allows you to insure your Ontario-registered car without the need for an Ontario driver's license.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 12:07:41 pm by cantakowep »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2023, 01:37:06 am »
Got a couple buddies with second places on Vancouver Island. They keep the cars on the island but both have Alberta registrations. Insurance was double if they tried to register and insure in BC.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2023, 07:30:22 am »
I knew somebody that did a similar thing. Kept Quebec plates/insurance even though the lived in Toronto. Saved a tonne of money.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 10:07:50 am »
^ Love it when the bots start having a conversation amongst themselves