Author Topic: Thin 0W-16 oil for better fuel economy but at what cost?  (Read 39087 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Thin 0W-16 oil for better fuel economy but at what cost?
« on: July 12, 2020, 05:25:48 pm »
Didn't post much lately due to health issues (lower back pain - prayers and good vibes appreciated) but couldn't resist when I saw this curious bit (toyota fanboii beware  ;) )  While I don't agree with toyota's "poor engineering" LOL, the observations below ring true:

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

"53. Are vehicles that call for 0W16 Motor Oil, well protected with such thin oil?

Below is a message I got from one of my Blog readers who is located in Greece, on that topic, along with my response. It is such important information, that it is worthy of its own Tech Article posted here. So, read on for the details.

Hi RAT,

3 months ago I purchased a Toyota RAV4 2.0L engine (dual port and direct injection) M20A-FKS (no hybrid) engine code (175hp) fwd. Toyota calls for, and filled it with, 0W16 viscosity motor oil. I did an effort and added an oil pressure gauge properly by a Toyota tuner garage engineer and the numbers are NOT satisfying and, of course much lower than the rule of thumb.
1000 rpm = 7.5 psi
2000 rpm = 13.0 psi
3000 rpm = 19.8 psi
4000 rpm = 28.5 psi
5000 rpm = 37.0 psi
6000 rpm = 43.4 psi
6400 rpm = 45.5 psi

I drained the Toyota filled 0W16 and poured in Amsoil Signature Series 0W30 oil a week ago. You want the numbers? Here they are:
1000 rpm = 9.6 psi
2000 rpm = 18.6 psi
3000 rpm = 27.0 psi
4000 rpm = 35.8 psi
5000 rpm = 46.5 psi
6000 rpm = 55.6 psi
6400 rpm = 57.5 psi

And, in fact, there was no observable change in fuel economy mpg values between the 0W16 and the 0W30 motor oils. I ordered two boxes of 0W30 Amsoil SS (24 qts in total). (Quaker State oil is not available in Europe).

To Toyota owners: Beware! It’s 90% possible that your engines that are filled with the called for 0W16 motor oil, don’t raise oil pressure to acceptable levels.

E.C.

==============

Hi again E.C.,

Thanks for sharing your data. That is excellent information for everyone to see, who uses that ridiculously thin 0W16 motor oil. NOTE: The ONLY reason Toyota calls for such overly thin oil, is their lame attempt to microscopically increase fuel mileage. But, they are making a mistake for doing that, because as you found out, which was already widely known, super thin oils do NOT improve fuel mileage at all, when put to the test in the real world. So, there is no good reason to use such dangerously thin motor oil.

It is the same thing with using overly thin 0W20 or 5W20 motor oils that are called for by some Auto Makers. Because those oils also do NOT increase fuel mileage in the real world. And the fact is, 0W30 or 5W30 are the optimum viscosity for most water-cooled engines. I do NOT recommend using any motor oil thinner than 0W30 or 5W30, if you care about protecting your engine. Keep in mind that 0W30 or 5W30 are BOTH rated as 30wt viscosity motor oils at normal hot operating temperature where an engine spends 99% of its life. 0W30 and 5W30 only vary in their cold rated viscosity, where 0W30 is a bit thinner than 5W30 when cold.

Just to be clear, the old rule of thumb for “HOT” oil pressure is: “Your engine should make at least 10 psi for every 1,000 rpm”. But, that is intended as a target for High Performance and Racing Engines.

Normal daily driver vehicles don’t need to adhere to that precisely. For them, the old rule of thumb is just an approximate general reference guideline, but not a hard requirement. If normal daily driver vehicles produce “anywhere near” the rule of thumb psi values, they should be fine.

But, your oil pressure data with the original super thin 0W16 Toyota motor oil is definitely “LOWER THAN IDEAL” for best engine protection, and is a cause for concern. Because that indicates the super thin 0W16 oil is bleeding off too quickly out of the bearing clearances throughout the engine, especially through the rod and main bearings. And with that condition, if the engine is subjected to severe loading, it could be at much higher risk of damage or outright failure. So, Toyota obviously doesn’t care about any of that, and are satisfied the oil only being good enough to barely get by in most cases. That way you will likely need another vehicle sooner rather than later. Shameful…

Your new higher oil pressure numbers with the 0W30 are MUCH BETTER, with an impressive average psi improvement across the rpm range of 31%, just from using the correct viscosity motor oil. And that shows that the ideal multi-viscosity 30wt motor oil is bleeding off through the engine’s bearing clearances, especially through the rod and main bearings, at perfectly desirable rate. That is proof that the engine SHOULD really be using a 30wt multi-viscosity motor oil, rather than that insanely thin 0W16 motor oil.

Toyota got it wrong……….again, which is no surprise. I have NEVER been impressed with Toyota Engineering. Because they do so many things wrong, or at least not as good as they should be done. Buyer beware!

That 0W16 Toyota motor oil also did NOT perform well in my Motor Oil Engineering Wear Protection Capability Test. It could only muster 84,295 psi, which ranked it a miserable 132nd out of 239 oils tested so far. It is highly unlikely that anyone would intentionally choose such a poor performing motor oil to use in their own engine.

BOTTOM LINE: Because of poor oil pressure, and poor wear protection capability with Toyota 0W16 motor oil, I do NOT recommend that anyone use that oil. Instead, I recommend that people select a Highly Ranked 0W30 or 5W30 from my Wear Protection Ranking List, and use that. Then their engine will be FAR BETTER protected than with that extremely thin and inadequate 0W16 factory motor oil.

Take care,

540 RAT"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Top quality synthetic 0W-20 in winter and possibly 5W-30 in summer would be my choice, if I ever get something with an engine spec'd for 0W-16, that is in case the car is a keeper and not a lease.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Thin 0W-16 oil for better fuel economy but at what cost?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 07:10:18 pm »
Here's the problem, if Toyota recommends X weight oil to be used and you decide to use Y weight oil, you may be denied warranty coverage.

I'm of the kind that if Toyota recommends something they likely know better than me.  This conspiracy theory that they recommend thinner oil so engines wear out faster goes against all previous Toyota products that historically show their products to be some of the longest lasting and reliable products you can buy.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 07:35:39 pm »
Why wasn’t 0W20 tested?

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 07:36:10 pm »
Here's the problem, if Toyota recommends X weight oil to be used and you decide to use Y weight oil, you may be denied warranty coverage.

I'm of the kind that if Toyota recommends something they likely know better than me.  This conspiracy theory that they recommend thinner oil so engines wear out faster goes against all previous Toyota products that historically show their products to be some of the longest lasting and reliable products you can buy.

Is anybody saying that?

I’ve only heard that they’re using it for fuel economy reasons. Same as Ford and its 0W-20

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 07:57:09 pm »

Is anybody saying that?

I’ve only heard that they’re using it for fuel economy reasons. Same as Ford and its 0W-20
They implied this in that original post.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 08:09:13 pm »

Re:warranty. Toyota does mention 20 oil can be used where 16 is specced.

No conspiracy. They put 0w16 on the 710 cap to be able to state better EPA numbers. The guy from Greece did not notice any FE drop because it likely was marginal.
0w16 oil met Toyota's expectations for engine longevity I suppose but it doesn't mean 20 or 30 weight oil is not better and will not make the engine last longer, especially when a lot of towing or spirited high rev driving is done.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:12:58 pm by EV Dan »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 08:17:06 pm »
Why wasn’t 0W20 tested?

Who knows. He is a random motorist who thought 0w30 would be the best bet, and numbers suggest he was right.
As far as RAT's test numbers show, QS 0w-20 is much more superior to Toyota's 0w16 for engine protection.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 08:57:05 pm »
These newer engines are designed for it...and the drain interval is long.

I have a hard time believing risk averse Toyota are going to spec oil that would cause premature wear on engines...and spec longer drain intervals to make it worse.

I recall the significant engineering that went into the new engine in the Corolla.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 10:30:26 pm »
These newer engines are designed for it...and the drain interval is long.

I have a hard time believing risk averse Toyota are going to spec oil that would cause premature wear on engines...and spec longer drain intervals to make it worse.

I recall the significant engineering that went into the new engine in the Corolla.

No question in my mind Toyota engineers do great job in building reliable engines. However even the best designs go through a game of cost/benefit ratios and necessary compromises. So I wonder what kind of parameters the engineers have got from the upper management, that is how long should an engine last with no major issues while operating on thin, fuel saving oil? Was it 200k miles or more, or less? And if we pressed them for truth, would they say 0-20 or 0-30 oil would make the engine in question last ~50% longer? Finding a definitive answer is the point of this thread.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 10:36:52 pm »
Didn't post much lately due to health issues (lower back pain - prayers and good vibes appreciated) but couldn't resist when ...

I'm glad you still alive  ;D Wish you to fully recover  ::) ..
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 10:39:34 pm »
^^^ Thanks man!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 12:40:11 am »
Finding a definitive answer is the point of this thread.

Well good luck with that.

Might get better results wearing a tinfoil hat? LOL [emoji38]

Honda is running 0W16 too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:46:25 am by rrocket »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 12:05:35 pm »
^^^ Some ppl on this forum worked in motor oils, it would be interesting to get their take on the subject.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 12:11:02 pm »

You'd have better luck asking who makes the best oil filter.  Maybe.   :rofl2:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 12:13:25 pm »

On the same engines that used to take 0W-20 or some new ones?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 12:17:37 pm »

Nah. That case is ruled in favour of WIX or whoever makes the OEM one.  ;)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 12:23:42 pm »

But, Fram!   :-X

Pennzoil site recommends 5W-20 for the Sonata; says I can also use 0W-20.  I wish I understood the spec sheet for oil.

Hyundai manual (now 11 years-old) says 5W-20 and 5W30 okay for all temp ranges.
10W-30 only for temps above 0°F.

I'll stick with the 5W-20 Synthetic I'm running.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2020, 12:24:41 pm »
Meanwhile, IMHO Hyundai's take on oil viscosity is this chart. Note, that it is for a modern engine.
https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=104792.msg1493137#msg1493137

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2020, 12:32:39 pm »

But, Fram!   :-X

Pennzoil site recommends 5W-20 for the Sonata; says I can also use 0W-20.  I wish I understood the spec sheet for oil.

Hyundai manual (now 11 years-old) says 5W-20 and 5W30 okay for all temp ranges.
10W-30 only for temps above 0°F.

I'll stick with the 5W-20 Synthetic I'm running.

While I can't make a scientific suggestion, from personal experience the worst my engine sounded was when the dealer filled it with regular 5W-20 and the engine was at operating temp and the smoothest it ever worked is the current Quaker synthetic 5W-30, which is the grade specified.

I wish I understood the spec sheet for oil.

This is what Hyundai says in regards to their Genesis G70 engines:

Quaker State synthetic 5W-30 for summer (or year round) and 0W-20 in case of super cold winters is what I'd use for the Sonata.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:50:58 pm by EV Dan »

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2020, 03:52:06 pm »
I used to refer to RAT as well, but RAT's methodology has come under fire by a lot of people. I wouldn't cast as much doubt until you realize how he treats anyone who disagrees or even just questions his ideas, basically he censors their questions(partially or completely) and calls them trolls. He claims he is an engineer,  but his behaviours are extremely unprofessional.

The main concerns I have seen is that his equipment doesn't have enough precision(AKA ability to produce repeatable results given the same process and samples) as even the most advanced equipment has pretty significant error bars.

Anyway, given how most Toyota drivers drive their cars, I don't see a problem. Doubt most of them even see past 3k RPM.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:55:49 pm by UnknownJinX »