Author Topic: Activities to do through the COVID crisis  (Read 35597 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: Activities to do through the COVID crisis
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2020, 04:54:36 pm »
Thankfully my dad digitized most/all of his slides but now they just sit on external hard drives gathering dust. At least they take up less space now. I've debated putting them up on Google Photos but then wonder who will ever sit and look through them. Decisions, decisions.

Someone will look at them.  I have 9,131 photos on Flickr and they have been viewed over 570,000 times.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2020, 04:54:53 pm »
I had a bunch of slides to do for the parents, said to hell with scanning and just took them to Costco, who did a great job

For the photos, I might try with my phone and an app like Google photoscan
What did they charge you for that?
Railton

First 50 was 28.00 and then it was 32 cents each

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2020, 04:56:51 pm »
That could add up!
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2020, 05:31:31 pm »
It does! I was one of those people staring at a dusty box of slides for way too long. With the coronavirus and my parents being in their 80's, it was time to get it done.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2020, 08:43:07 pm »
^Loving the Vega, you kept it going about 15 years longer than most  :rofl2:
LOL, my co-workers used to razz me a lot about my POS but for me it was a point of pride keeping it running for as long as I could.  It also made financial sense at the time.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2020, 08:56:14 pm »
A couple of years ago, I started digitizing 36 years worth of slides and negatives that I had accumulated from 1969 to 2005.  I started with the slides using a flatbed scanner that had an adapter tray to hold the slides.  That was ok but when I tried scanning the negatives, it became unbearably slow.  So I bought a dedicated, expensive and mickey-mouse film scanner but it too was tedious to use.  I was constantly having to dial in colour and brightness corrections.  The results were mediocre at best, probably due a combination of the degradation of the negatives and crappy performance of the scanner.  I put the project aside but with this Covid isolation thing these past 2 weeks, I slogged through and finished the project.  Probably scanned 7000 photos. 
I also have a 5hit pile of 35mm slides from my Dad - and a flat bed scanner with 12 or 16 slide tray. Yes, really slow and you need to adjust each one almost. So, which way did you scan them all? What was the size of each? Must have taken ages to do.
Vegas usually rusted out. You got 4x the life out of it.
Railton
The slides are 35 mm and I scanned them all using the flatbed and it worked pretty well.  I had no means of adjusting the colour but my slides are mostly Kodakchrome that go back to 1969 and it was remarkable how well the colour had held up.  My negatives are also 35 mm and I scanned them using a dedicated scanner called the Kodak Scanza that allowed me to adjust brightness, red, green and blue.  It was finicky at times to get the colours right and there were some negatives that I could not get right at all.  As I said, the results were mediocre at best. I also came across a few rolls of 110 that I have no clue where they came from as I never owned a 110 camera.  My scanner had a tray for 110 but after I tried a few, the images were so bad I didn't bother.  I used a 35 mm rangefinder and 35 mm SLR.

Took me 2 weeks, 3 - 4 hours a day. 

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2020, 09:00:50 pm »
Thankfully my dad digitized most/all of his slides but now they just sit on external hard drives gathering dust. At least they take up less space now. I've debated putting them up on Google Photos but then wonder who will ever sit and look through them. Decisions, decisions.

Someone will look at them.  I have 9,131 photos on Flickr and they have been viewed over 570,000 times.
wow, that's great

I doubt anyone would be interested in looking at my photos of mostly various children and family events and gatherings.  Heck even I don't remember some the people in my photos

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2020, 09:42:58 pm »
^^^^ Da Grump!

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2020, 10:07:03 pm »
A couple of years ago, I started digitizing 36 years worth of slides and negatives that I had accumulated from 1969 to 2005.  I started with the slides using a flatbed scanner that had an adapter tray to hold the slides.  That was ok but when I tried scanning the negatives, it became unbearably slow.  So I bought a dedicated, expensive and mickey-mouse film scanner but it too was tedious to use.  I was constantly having to dial in colour and brightness corrections.  The results were mediocre at best, probably due a combination of the degradation of the negatives and crappy performance of the scanner.  I put the project aside but with this Covid isolation thing these past 2 weeks, I slogged through and finished the project.  Probably scanned 7000 photos.  Not sure if it was worth the effort as I’m sure not many people will actually want/get to see the digital images.  If nothing else, the process brought back many memories.  Sadly there were lots of faces, places and occasions I could not remember.

Anyway, came across photos of 2 memorable vehicles I had owned, notable because of the length of time I owned them and also the many road trips we took in them.  The first was a 1974 Vega GT that I bought new when I graduated from university.  The GT came with the upgraded 2.3 liter 4 banger that put 85hp (base engine only had 75) and had a 4-on-the-floor tranny.  No PS, PB,PW, PDL, CC etc.  Did 0-60 in 12.3.  Compared to today’s cars, it was pretty easy to repair, so I did pretty much all own repairs including replacing timing belts, water pumps, radiators, clutches and brakes. We drove it 19.5 years before disposing of it.  It was still running but the rust was bad.

The second vehicle was a 1980 G10 Chevy Beauville passenger van with only 1 row of back seats,  with a 350V8 that IIRC put out 175hp and 250 lb-ft.  When I bought it used it was less than a year old. IIRC car loans were over 20% at the time when inflation was rampant.  We drove it until Oct 1998, so it was 18.5 years old when it got disposed of. The engine had died due to some electrical thing and it was rusty.  It was the first vehicle I owned with AC, PS, PW, PDL and CC. The AC was a great treat and every vehicle since has had AC.

Yes, cars have come a long way.

The attached photos were taken just before the vehicles were disposed of.

Do you have any photos to share from when they were new?
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2020, 12:10:50 am »
Here's a couple of the Vega when it was 1 yr.  These images are non-enhanced digitizations of 45 year old Kodakchrome slides. I'm amazed by how well the colours have held up.

Oddly, I couldn't find any of the Beauville, maybe because it was bought shorty after we started a family so baby pictures became the priority.  Back then we were much more selective of what we photographed because of the cost.  Today's digital photography is free. Many photographers will use the "spray and pray" approach, i.e., take a gazillion pics hoping 1 will turn out.  Guilty.

If nothing else, the digitization of these old images have made it a lot easier to search for them.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #150 on: April 02, 2020, 04:35:48 pm »
^ Love it!
My wife had a bunch of slides that i scanned a few years ago,  they came out great as well.

I got this Lego kit for Christmas, it has been a busy year so far so it hasn't been touched.
Probably about time i got on it

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26454291/mustang-fastback-lego-kit/

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2020, 04:40:10 pm »
I got this Lego kit for Christmas, it has been a busy year so far so it hasn't been touched.
Probably about time i got on it

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26454291/mustang-fastback-lego-kit/

Nice. I got the fastback for my youngest son...its currently sitting to my right in the my home office :)
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2020, 04:42:29 pm »
Wife and I just got back from a walk in the park and noticed a sign posted there regarding physical distancing limitations.  At least they are using a better term now.  I always thought the term social distancing was kind of odd.  No worries with that as it's pouring rain here and we were the only ones out.  Good chance to check the rain gear anyway.   ;D

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2020, 04:53:19 pm »
Rainy day got you cooped up?  Haul out those jigsaw puzzles!

We have several, acquired over the years.  Some of them hadn’t even been opened.  Excellent way to pass the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2020, 04:58:41 pm »
Cards, Video games, is how I get though. I'm not used to this. I normally work 12 hours a day. I'm finding hard to fill the time. I can't do anything right now, it's limbo time....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2020, 11:53:53 pm »
Anyone play backgammon?

I play online if anyone wants a game....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2020, 02:33:49 pm »
Rainy day got you cooped up?  Haul out those jigsaw puzzles!

We have several, acquired over the years.  Some of them hadn’t even been opened.  Excellent way to pass the time.

We've been picking away at this one.

Also got a few Lego Speed Champion sets last week and I built the Nissan GT-R. It's a great little build. I read today that Lego is selling very well right now and if you order directly from them the processing times have been slowed down due to the demand.

Lots of my Thursday evenings are spent meeting some friends at a local beer bar. For the last two weeks we've been doing it virtually. My wife picked up a few more HRB products yesterday too.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2020, 02:41:10 pm »
Anyone play backgammon?

I play online if anyone wants a game....

I'm interested. What app are you using? I can't predict my schedule but would be nice to get in a game with you now and then.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2020, 02:41:30 pm »
^hey Shane said he was canning the Hawaiian today...  :rofl2:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2020, 04:02:13 pm »
Here's a couple of the Vega when it was 1 yr.  These images are non-enhanced digitizations of 45 year old Kodakchrome slides. I'm amazed by how well the colours have held up.

Oddly, I couldn't find any of the Beauville, maybe because it was bought shorty after we started a family so baby pictures became the priority.  Back then we were much more selective of what we photographed because of the cost.  Today's digital photography is free. Many photographers will use the "spray and pray" approach, i.e., take a gazillion pics hoping 1 will turn out.  Guilty.

If nothing else, the digitization of these old images have made it a lot easier to search for them.

Guilty as well! Maybe if we are required to stay home long enough I will have time to organize and triage our digital photo collection as well.

The image quality of the slides is great considering the age! Different wheels from new to when you got rid of the Vega?