Author Topic: Google Home  (Read 9937 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Google Home
« on: January 05, 2018, 11:53:13 pm »
Just curious, does anyone have Google Home?  I'm somewhat curious and/or interested in it, but just don't know how much I would use it daily or how well it works.  Hoping for some feedback from someone that's used one.   :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Google Home
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 12:05:13 am »
Just curious, does anyone have Google Home?  I'm somewhat curious and/or interested in it, but just don't know how much I would use it daily or how well it works.  Hoping for some feedback from someone that's used one.   :)

depends...how much do you like being spied on?  :rofl2:
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 12:22:50 am »
Got it. Love it. Use it to stream music, turn lights on off in specific rooms adjust thermostat, set alarm and make sure main door is locked. Its v cool when you say ok google play sweet home alabama and it does exactly what you asked.
Its in kitchen so i use voice to add stuff ro grocery list.

Had a lot of these sensors on smartthings already so just connected it to google home. Its awesome to use voice instead of phone.
Totally worth it for 99 bucks.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 01:20:27 am »
I like the idea, but it's essentially an open microphone in the home...It's always listening.  Now I'd guess it's secure, but there's that little bit of me that says "what if"....

I think I'd likely do some home automation via app rather than a voice activated system.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 11:25:59 am »
I could talk to my phone. I could talk to my car.
Don't talk to either of them, why would I want to talk to my house?   I don't have any smart stuff around the house apart from some Hue bulbs.

However, I do see that a couple more generations of this stuff and 'smartness' built in as standard to more house stuff ( with common protocols and command structures of course) and it will be a good thing....although it will be one more thing separating the digital cognoscenti from the underclasses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 11:48:05 am »
So, I guess my X-10 thermostat, light on/off dimmer, outlet, motion detectors, etc are pretty outdated by now without AI / voice control  ;D

It reminds me, last time I set my X-10 controller was with my iMac G3 (yeah, the round one) long time ago. I should check if its hard drive will start spinning again after all those years...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 11:54:21 am by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 11:54:20 am »
So, I guess my X-10 thermostat, light on/off dimmer, outlet, motion detectors, etc are pretty outdated by now without IA / voice control  ;D

It reminds me, last time I set my X-10 controller was with my iMac G3 (yeah, the round one) long time ago. I should check if its hard drive will start spinning again after all those years...

I booted up my PowerBook G4 the other day.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 03:41:52 pm »
Does this Google stuff really help your quality of life? :D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 03:54:06 pm »
Shane, you can use Google Home like this old Italian lady, lol!

https://youtu.be/e2R0NSKtVA0

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 04:42:33 pm »
Got it. Love it. Use it to stream music, turn lights on off in specific rooms adjust thermostat, set alarm and make sure main door is locked. Its v cool when you say ok google play sweet home alabama and it does exactly what you asked.
Its in kitchen so i use voice to add stuff ro grocery list.

Had a lot of these sensors on smartthings already so just connected it to google home. Its awesome to use voice instead of phone.
Totally worth it for 99 bucks.

Thanks for the info, sounds like you'd recommend it eh?  I actually was delivering kegs today and stopped by our local Best Buy store and they've been sold out since last week and won't get any more for another 2 weeks.  The sales guy said that they sold like crazy lately.  I'm still on the fence, but trial one out when they become available again. 

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 04:50:57 pm »
What happens when you have Google Home, and in a fit of temper you say, ‘oh, fk me’?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 05:10:11 pm »
What happens when you have Google Home, and in a fit of temper you say, ‘oh, fk me’?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
https://youtu.be/epyWW2e43UU

Warning. Language NSFW.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 05:56:24 pm »
I have one on order. It should arrive soon (I hope!)

National Post was giving them out with subscriptions for $99 yesterday. Too bad you weren't interested then.

I mainly bought it to satisfy my curiosity. I have a few smart plugs now and my apartment is lit by lamps. I'll use it to control lights and music. I might buy a few more plugs when they come on sale for $34 for a two pack again.

I plan to observe how the device behaves and how much it communicates with the internet when not in use. I'm quite curious how these things work.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 07:50:25 pm »
I have one on order. It should arrive soon (I hope!)

National Post was giving them out with subscriptions for $99 yesterday. Too bad you weren't interested then.

I mainly bought it to satisfy my curiosity. I have a few smart plugs now and my apartment is lit by lamps. I'll use it to control lights and music. I might buy a few more plugs when they come on sale for $34 for a two pack again.

I plan to observe how the device behaves and how much it communicates with the internet when not in use. I'm quite curious how these things work.

Cool, keep me posted on your thoughts if you don't mind.  :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 08:07:28 pm »
Wife bought the amazon version. Love it for streaming music and yelling stuff at it for the shopping list.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2018, 10:15:45 pm »
We got one as a gift. Liked it so I ordered a few more to cover other floors.

(We have the regular one, not the Mini nor the Max).

The sound quality is better than it has any right to be for a device this big.

Its pretty handy, but a lot of this is because we're overloaded right now dealing with kids all the time. Its not always convenient to grab your phone to start some music so its nice to just say "hey Google, play <whatever>". That's basically what we use it for right now - a smart speaker with some additional functionality.

it also controls smarthome devices but we only have a few of those right now so not as useful.

I also use Google reminders and Google calendar stuff a lot so its good for that. Also I can now control the Chromecast on the TV with my voice (including turning the TV on/off etc.). I coudl do this with a phone technically but the sensitivity on the Google Home mics is amazing.

Anyways they are totally worth the discounted Xmas season price. the Mini was only $40, I mean jeez.

I think there is a lot more you can do with it, although not quite as much as Amazon just yet. Still, I have to believe that Google has the resources to pour into this thing, and given the look at CES this year they're going all-in. I wish my soundbar had Google Cast built in....

Note though I'm fully invested in a Google + Windows + Lenovo ecosystem so everything just works better integration wise. We only have two Apple products (my wife's iPhone 6S+ and Apple Watch - and I think next round she will go Android again).
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 01:47:19 pm »
i like in an older house... it's small... don't have much to hook up. but it's kind of cool. a few lights and stuff were the main reason i got it for my wife (a couple pedestal lights that are a pain to get at to turn down).

my wife hates that fact that my kids just continually ask it to tell them jokes though.

pretty simple... definitely lets them spy on my house, but what do i really care? i'm not an idiot who is all of a suddenly going to buy every product that is advertised in a banner ad, or have anything i need to feel bad about them watching in on... meh. next will be to replace my thermostat, then get another mini for the bedroom so when i forget and go to bed, i can turn the temp down from under the covers.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 01:51:57 pm »
Remember talking cars?  I knew a guy that had a Chrysler something, he would crack open his door and say, "hey, car, what is a door?" and the car would reply " a door is a jar".

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2018, 03:28:17 pm »
Remember talking cars?  I knew a guy that had a Chrysler something, he would crack open his door and say, "hey, car, what is a door?" and the car would reply " a door is a jar".

come on now... he was supposed to say, "when is a door, NOT a door?.... when a...."

and yep. it's pretty useless, but i bet i'll find other uses... last night as i was cleaning up and getting my kids stuff ready i just casually asked, "hey google, is it going to snow tonight?".... yes, the weather calls for snow in hamilton tonight.

kinda cool...

and last night watching something my wife asked me how old david duchoveny was... i just asked google rather than guessing or getting out my phone. not important stuff, but that quick little google search for spelling, weather, random info... kinda cool.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 04:30:28 pm »
yep!

but also, face buried into the phone has become this image of removal from society... this, they try to make it like conversation with a person in the room... less anti-social. and while it seems dumb, it takes less than half the time as getting the phone, getting it awake, bring up google, type in question, click appropriate link/answer. might seem trivial at a few seconds added to your day, but if you could cut screen time in half for most things.... that is significant.