Author Topic: Looking for my first car.  (Read 46611 times)

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: none
Re: Looking for my first car.
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2018, 07:24:41 am »
dont personally know about Kizashi, but the Swift I drove recently was a great and well screwed together fun car

The Audi 2.0T is a really strong mill, and with that turbo shove feels a lot quicker than its hp numbers suggest. Plus, with a simple tune, it is probably as fast as if not faster than the V6 Camry, especially from a dig.

From my experience with the 2.0T in my B7, the heater was as quick as my 3.8 Grand Prix at warming up. Not bad at all.
Yeah but when repairs do come the price will be on a whole different level than the Camry, Like i said nice car but in the long run it'll cost more money than i personally think its worth

you could get CPO with an extended warranty, covered
I know most of those extended warranty's are a joke if you try and go collect on them, and still. at the end of the day when repairs do start coming that i have to pay for that Audi will cost me double if not more to just keep it working over the Camry, and if this guy drove it hard and put it away wet especially with that Turbo that's a car that'll never stop giving you problems.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2018, 07:27:03 am »
dont personally know about Kizashi, but the Swift I drove recently was a great and well screwed together fun car

The Audi 2.0T is a really strong mill, and with that turbo shove feels a lot quicker than its hp numbers suggest. Plus, with a simple tune, it is probably as fast as if not faster than the V6 Camry, especially from a dig.

From my experience with the 2.0T in my B7, the heater was as quick as my 3.8 Grand Prix at warming up. Not bad at all.
Yeah but when repairs do come the price will be on a whole different level than the Camry, Like i said nice car but in the long run it'll cost more money than i personally think its worth

I know most of those extended warranty's are a joke if you try and go collect on them, and still. at the end of the day when repairs do start coming that i have to pay for that Audi will cost me double if not more to just keep it working over the Camry, and if this guy drove it hard and put it away wet especially with that Turbo that's a car that'll never stop giving you problems.

alright then, enjoy your Camry. I am sure it will give you many trouble-free miles. Dont forget to do a show and shine when you get it  ;D
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2018, 07:33:42 am »

alright then, enjoy your Camry. I am sure it will give you many trouble-free miles. Dont forget to do a show and shine when you get it  ;D
Damn right I'll get a professional photography team and everything man, I'll turn this into a commercial I'll put you in the credits "Special thanks to: ChaosphereIX That Alfa Romeo & SAAB Lover" sound good? but all jokes aside i am grateful to everyone here who actually did give me advice it has changed my looks on cars a bit i think obv as I'm looking used and when i came here I didn't even want to go within 10 feet of a used car, Idk if my minds changed on north american cars yet. But baby steps.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2018, 12:58:45 pm »
good work... a) on starting this thread and sticking around to actually respond, b) on (eventually!) opening your mind to other options and, c) being practical in your choices.

if it came down to the elantra of camry, camry all the way... i've had three people in the last 2 days try to trade in elantra's under 2 years old.... they are fine, but just seem to leave most people wishing they chose something else. not sure if it's the cars fault or the people's, but whatever the reason, it doesn't help there value proposition.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2018, 01:35:23 pm »
Were they Elantra sports? Those are very different from the other trim levels...
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2018, 01:41:21 pm »
true they are a 'different' car, and no they weren't. just a couple sedans and a gt. while i do agree that they deserve a bit more respect than the regular models, whenever a new elantra or whatever comes out, it seems to get a whole lotta praise, but i still see people trying to get out of them in a hurry.

again, might not have anything to do with the car... but it doesn't help their case (resale, days in market, etc.)

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2018, 01:55:35 pm »
true they are a 'different' car, and no they weren't. just a couple sedans and a gt. while i do agree that they deserve a bit more respect than the regular models, whenever a new elantra or whatever comes out, it seems to get a whole lotta praise, but i still see people trying to get out of them in a hurry.

again, might not have anything to do with the car... but it doesn't help their case (resale, days in market, etc.)
That's not necessarily a bad thing for me if i get a used one, but good to know, are the parts to fix it absurdly expensive or something and people just want to get out before anything goes wrong? or where they expecting a speed demon from the normal 2.0L engine.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2018, 12:27:35 pm »
to be honest, i think it is more in the marketing and the people who purchase them. they end up with cell phone mentality and just see it as a set monthly fee they have to get the newest and greatest available. just a hardware upgrade rather than a car purchase.

it's what happens when you get people with little financial literacy getting talked into payment based purchases.

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2018, 03:42:29 pm »
to be honest, i think it is more in the marketing and the people who purchase them. they end up with cell phone mentality and just see it as a set monthly fee they have to get the newest and greatest available. just a hardware upgrade rather than a car purchase.

it's what happens when you get people with little financial literacy getting talked into payment based purchases.
Gotcha Well I'll look into some low mile couple year old Elantra's see what's going on

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 11, 2018, 08:53:21 am »
well you certainly are unique, I have never met a 19yo who said "Given the choice of cars, yes, I want a Camry." A Camry is usually something they inherit from grandma.
Well  I'm not the normal thats for sure, but is being responsible early a bad thing

I think you are mature way beyond your years. That's not a bad thing. Wish more young people had your smarts. Buy what pleases you, its your money.
Why thank you, yeah I'm trying to balance it between what i want (speed, sporty styling) and what i should get (cargo space, gas mileage, Reliability and insurance rates), it's a hard balance to find, cause some cars that cover most category's like the Subaru WRX destroy you in insurance, and most other sporty cars have no real utility.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 11, 2018, 02:18:36 pm »
if it was easy, we would all be driving the same car... everyone is built differently and wants different things.

keep that open mind, but just not so open that your brain falls out! good luck.

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 11, 2018, 02:28:28 pm »
if it was easy, we would all be driving the same car... everyone is built differently and wants different things.

keep that open mind, but just not so open that your brain falls out! good luck.
Yeah for sure, Ideally i want a V6 Charger from like 2013-2015 with sub 50k, but I just don't trust them long term unfortunately especially with the insane amount of problems they had from 08-14, it's seemingly gotten better as the amount of reports has gone down, But We'll see I might just go that route impulsively if the insurance isn't horrible cause their beautiful cars
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:55:24 pm by Heck493 »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 11, 2018, 06:40:30 pm »
if you go for a charger... get a '15 or newer. and i forget where you are, but awd might be needed. they are pretty squirrely in rwd. the 2015 year change was pretty significant, with the major change (to me) being those headlights... totally changed the car to me.

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 11, 2018, 08:03:23 pm »
if you go for a charger... get a '15 or newer. and i forget where you are, but awd might be needed. they are pretty squirrely in rwd. the 2015 year change was pretty significant, with the major change (to me) being those headlights... totally changed the car to me.
Yeah the 15 was the redesign year right? where they answered a lot of the issues plaguing it
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:37:56 pm by Heck493 »

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 19, 2018, 12:04:19 pm »
Alright, So I've done some test drives and looking around and basically I've narrowed it down to a few cars.

2013 or newer V6 camry (was fun to drive, has plenty of pick-up and go, the plastics made it feel a bit cheap but overall it had everything and more i was looking for, and yes i noticed the kind of numb steering wheel i think someone mentioned here earlier), but i think i can get over that for that quite good acceleration feel, and it would make a very nice road trip and cruising vehicle.

2015 V6 dodge charger, winded up being able to test drive, was easily the funnest car I sat in/drove, the interior felt really nice, seats hug you pretty good. I was also told around 100k give or take that the front end ball joints and water pump i think it was normally need to be replaced, but we'll see the driving experience it gives might just be worth it in the end. have yet to see an insurance quote for it though.

I also got to drive a 2016 Lancer 2.4L it's nice, engine makes a lot of noises when you put your foot down a bit, but it doesn't do a whole lot, the interior is dated to say the least but I didn't mind it, It felt fun in the corners (right hand turns not a lot you can do with the sales rep in the car) even though i did say i care more about straight lines which i do it was still nice.

I also got to check out a used forester XT (can't remember the year off the top of my head sorry) and it's fun it doesn't feel like a 6 second car, but I also wasn't allowed to put it in sport or floor it obviously, so I'm taking the 0-60 times i was able to do with a big grain of salt, but overall the interior felt nice, touchscreen was nice but felt a bit slow to respond, steering felt decently responsive but not sporty I didn't expect it to be sporty feeling though, its still a suv afterall.

I was able to check out a couple cars a civic 2015, a Honda accord Sedan 2016 (i think), and the Honda CRV (honda dealers attached to the subaru dealer near me so yeah) and honestly they all felt like nice daily drivers, and they felt comfortable inside, but whenever you even did 1/4-1/2 throttle nothing really happens for the first second or two then it kind of does stuff but not really, (just as a note none where the bigger engine sport trims) and the insurance price was quite high and repair/replacement costs for some of the stuff was just outlandish, so they're officially off my list unless something changes in the near future.

I did also look at the kia forte 2.0 164ish hp, and it's a nice daily again, the interior is very nice, it feels like a very solid car when driving, it's a bit faster than the corolla S that I've had experience with, but overall i can't say I'd be terrifically interested now after also driving the v6 camry and charger, but the 2019 refresh is right around the corner so who knows

Sadly was not able to test a Elantra sport as the only one that was there was already purchased.

So that's kind of my early conclusion a few cars have been crossed off the list, and car's that previously held no interest are suddenly at the top, Again just figured I'd post an update since so many of you where very dedicated to trying to help me out, I really do Appreciate it even those who didn't get along with me.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 12:09:08 pm by Heck493 »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #215 on: January 19, 2018, 12:28:34 pm »
Thanks for the fulsome update!

Interesting that you didn't mention the outward visibility on the Charger...didn't bug you, I guess?

Keep trying at the Elantra Sport!

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 19, 2018, 12:57:20 pm »
Thanks for the fulsome update!

Interesting that you didn't mention the outward visibility on the Charger...didn't bug you, I guess?

Keep trying at the Elantra Sport!
Sorry I genuinely didn't think about it as something to bring up, it feels similar to the truck in the front and honestly similar to the corolla to me, i always shoulder check and all that so I didn't notice any huge gaps in my field of view, but no mistake about it, it does feel like a big car

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #217 on: January 19, 2018, 01:01:51 pm »
I guess that's true - you're used to driving behemoths, so the larger-feeling may not be perceived as off-putting to you.

In that case, it may be a good car for you.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #218 on: January 19, 2018, 01:03:24 pm »
I'd cross the Lancer off your list, its an ancient design and who knows about Mitsubishi's long term plans for Canada.

Offline Heck493

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 19, 2018, 01:03:46 pm »
I guess that's true - you're used to driving behemoths, so the larger-feeling may not be perceived as off-putting to you.

In that case, it may be a good car for you.
Yeah the only vehicle I've hated for visibility was the mustang, cause you sit so low and it feels like your constantly having to like strain to look over the hood since it like bulges up almost or maybe its just angled weird idk, I don't enjoy driving the mustang visibility wise unless the tops down since its convertible