Author Topic: The Quick and the Dad: 2017 Honda Civic Type R  (Read 67603 times)

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
Re: The Quick and the Dad: 2017 Honda Civic Type R
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2017, 05:23:16 pm »
But does it need to be that ugly with all those added on bits if they do nothing at city traffic speeds?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2017, 05:24:15 pm »
Does a plane need wings for just sitting at the terminal?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2017, 05:39:00 pm »
But does it need to be that ugly with all those added on bits if they do nothing at city traffic speeds?

Next to a Civic that thing is beautiful.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2017, 06:15:13 pm »

If you do not take that thing to the track at least once a month you basically bought the wrong car.....should have bought the regular ZL1
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2017, 06:45:30 pm »
Again with the giant bench that does nothing apparently.

it does nothing at city speeds...sure, if you are tracking it at high speed it will apply downforce to the rear end...which is what you want, since it's rear wheel drive and there typically isn't much weight in the rear end of the cars (that have the engines at the front).

look at a race car:

front spoilers and ground effects to keep the front end planted and prevent it from lifting (going airborne) and rear spoilers for pushing the rear end to provide maximum grip for the drive wheels both for acceleration and from losing traction on corners.

keep in mind, one "challenge" in (example) F1 racing is the cars are very powerful, but very light (about 1000 HP and weigh about 1500 lbs)...the spoilers they use can generate the cars weight (1500 lbs) in downforce at 130 km/hr...at 180 km/hr, it's double the cars weight (so about 3000 lbs of downforce at 180 km/hr).

i'll agree that looks are subjective, and in terms of raw performance, i'm sure this is a pretty decent car...I guess i'll close by saying "it's not my cup of tea"...and leave it at that...I forgot it is forbidden to speak ill of Honda in here. ;)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2017, 06:53:02 pm »
Here's another picture of a race car with a giant rear wing. Yup, wings serve no purpose on FWD cars.  ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2017, 06:58:12 pm »

driving around town, none of that is going to do anything other than give you a punishing ride and hinder your visibility.

The Type R has adaptive dampers.  Ride around town is VERY good.  You only get the punishing ride when in track mode.

And the rear spoiler doesn't obstruct the view.  Like on my Supra.  First photo is from the Type R cabin.

Second is Supra view.  See how the shape follows the window?

If a spoiler is done correctly, it can be almost unobtrusive.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2017, 07:04:00 pm »
man this thread really got sour quick

I for one love the performance of the CTR, love that it is aggressive and track focused. I respect their engineering in making a FWD car handle and go stupid fast - the 'Ring times prove it. It has 300hp, a turbo, and a manual....and can take home the Ikea shopping trip. I even like that it is aggressively styled [though not really to my taste, but that is because Japanese design is not for me]. What I dont like is that they went all aggressive and fake at the same time - fake intake vents, fake exhaust vents, fake carbon, etc. If you are going all out, go all out. Those fake vents look just as silly as the huge fake intakes on the BMW i3 or dozens of other cars out there that have gaping plastic cladded "holes" in their front - wow look at those intercoo....wait a minute....

You all should be happy they brought the CTR to Canada, and are continuing to make performance cars. Honda quite easily could just make 100 variations of the CR-V and call it a day - that is what everyone is buying and it is boring and sad and frankly pathetic to this car enthusiast. The market quickly is becoming dominated by boring - embrace the different and exciting. Would much rather a lot more F&F out there than soccer mom.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2017, 07:07:29 pm »

I for one love the performance of the CTR, love that it is aggressive and track focused. I respect their engineering in making a FWD car handle and go stupid fast - the 'Ring times prove it. It has 300hp, a turbo, and a manual....and can take home the Ikea shopping trip. I even like that it is aggressively styled [though not really to my taste, but that is because Japanese design is not for me]. What I dont like is that they went all aggressive and fake at the same time - fake intake vents, fake exhaust vents,

You mean the black ones by the fog lights, right?  Every other vent on the front of the car is functional.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:09:11 pm by rrocket »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2017, 07:09:22 pm »

I for one love the performance of the CTR, love that it is aggressive and track focused. I respect their engineering in making a FWD car handle and go stupid fast - the 'Ring times prove it. It has 300hp, a turbo, and a manual....and can take home the Ikea shopping trip. I even like that it is aggressively styled [though not really to my taste, but that is because Japanese design is not for me]. What I dont like is that they went all aggressive and fake at the same time - fake intake vents, fake exhaust vents,

You mean the ones by the fog lights, right?  Every other vent on the front of the car is functional.

yes that is exactly what I meant, if it is a vent make it a vent...if not put some sheet metal there. The rear ones we can all agree are stupid

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2017, 07:12:34 pm »

You mean the ones by the fog lights, right?  Every other vent on the front of the car is functional.

yes that is exactly what I meant, if it is a vent make it a vent...if not put some sheet metal there. The rear ones we can all agree are stupid

Instead of sheetmetal, they decided to do something stylistically aggressive.

There are 11 vents on the front and only 2 of them are decorative. 

Big whoop.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2017, 07:16:37 pm »

Instead of sheetmetal, they decided to do something stylistically aggressive.

There are 11 vents on the front and only 2 of them are decorative. 

Big whoop.

but those 2 fake ones make up a quarter of the front fascia - ruin the whole look for me they stick out like a sore thumb

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2017, 07:29:11 pm »

but those 2 fake ones make up a quarter of the front fascia - ruin the whole look for me they stick out like a sore thumb

Hard to believe 2 vents ruin the whole look for you based on some of the Italian designed styling train wrecks you enjoy so much.....

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2017, 07:36:56 pm »

Hard to believe 2 vents ruin the whole look for you based on some of the Italian designed styling train wrecks you enjoy so much.....

ouch
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2017, 11:09:13 pm »
Again with the giant bench that does nothing apparently.

it does nothing at city speeds...sure, if you are tracking it at high speed it will apply downforce to the rear end...which is what you want, since it's rear wheel drive and there typically isn't much weight in the rear end of the cars (that have the engines at the front).

look at a race car:

front spoilers and ground effects to keep the front end planted and prevent it from lifting (going airborne) and rear spoilers for pushing the rear end to provide maximum grip for the drive wheels both for acceleration and from losing traction on corners.

keep in mind, one "challenge" in (example) F1 racing is the cars are very powerful, but very light (about 1000 HP and weigh about 1500 lbs)...the spoilers they use can generate the cars weight (1500 lbs) in downforce at 130 km/hr...at 180 km/hr, it's double the cars weight (so about 3000 lbs of downforce at 180 km/hr).

i'll agree that looks are subjective, and in terms of raw performance, i'm sure this is a pretty decent car...I guess i'll close by saying "it's not my cup of tea"...and leave it at that...I forgot it is forbidden to speak ill of Honda in here. ;)

Agree looks are subjective.  You can speak ill of Honda all you want about its looks, reliability, price, etc, The fact though is that the wing on the CTR along with the vortex generator on the roof are fully functional just like all the ad-dons on the Camaro are functional at a track setting.  At 200 km/h it doesn't matter if a car is RWD or FWD you need the down-force on both ends.  It is for stability and not because a car has issues putting the power down.  At those speeds even a 650hp car wont be spinning the back tires. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2017, 07:46:05 am »
At 200 km/h it doesn't matter if a car is RWD or FWD you need the down-force on both ends.  It is for stability and not because a car has issues putting the power down.  At those speeds even a 650hp car wont be spinning the back tires.
sure it does...it's called oversteer...lots of fast cars on the 'Ring lose traction from the rear end and spin out.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2017, 07:46:44 am »
Here's another picture of a race car with a giant rear wing. Yup, wings serve no purpose on FWD cars.  ::)

that's a FWD race car?

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2017, 08:15:07 am »
Sounds like an amazing drivers car and the recent motor trend ignition video really pumped that up.

I just watched that video last night.
The one thing that blew me away was that on the 'Ring the R is one second behind a 997 GT3 RS
I just drove a 'regular' GT3 around a track a couple months ago, and the R keeps up with the hotter version of that car...

As Frank Barone would say, "Holey Crap".

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2017, 09:10:01 am »
Sounds like an amazing drivers car and the recent motor trend ignition video really pumped that up.

I just watched that video last night.
The one thing that blew me away was that on the 'Ring the R is one second behind a 997 GT3 RS
I just drove a 'regular' GT3 around a track a couple months ago, and the R keeps up with the hotter version of that car...

As Frank Barone would say, "Holey Crap".

yeah that is what I thought

when set up right, who cares what wheels are driven - fast is fast

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2017, 09:10:55 am »

ouch

ouch indeed, but im not gonna take the bait