Author Topic: The Quick and the Dad: 2017 Honda Civic Type R  (Read 68206 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
Re: The Quick and the Dad: 2017 Honda Civic Type R
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2017, 04:57:27 pm »
That wing (while admittedly functional), can't be hidden, but the black cut outs are nicely disguised by the paint.
i doubt that wing is functional at all.

The wing is indeed functional.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2017, 05:01:33 pm »
Ever hear of a 3 bagger?

isn't that a Slurrey...errr...Surrey girl  ;D

3rd bag is to store her dentures in.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2017, 05:03:10 pm »
That wing (while admittedly functional), can't be hidden, but the black cut outs are nicely disguised by the paint.

the purpose of a wing is to provide downforce to the rear axle to aid in traction as race cars have a ton of power...while this car has a decent amount of power put to the axles, it's FWD and the weight of the engine and front end components likely aid in that already...as well, the limited amount of angle and small surface area of the wing would provide a minimal amount of downforce, and likely only at speeds no one would likely be driving at (on a public road)...my bet is they could have achieved the same amount of performance from a trunk lid integrated spoiler, but then that doesn't fit with the whole "F&F" look.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2017, 05:08:09 pm »

the purpose of a wing is to provide downforce to the rear axle to aid in traction as race cars have a ton of power...while this car has a decent amount of power put to the axles, it's FWD and the weight of the engine and front end components likely aid in that already...as well, the limited amount of angle and small surface area of the wing would provide a minimal amount of downforce, and likely only at speeds no one would likely be driving at (on a public road)...my bet is they could have achieved the same amount of performance from a trunk lid integrated spoiler, but then that doesn't fit with the whole "F&F" look.

Certainly it's for track use.  And downforce isn't just for "traction" to the drive wheels per se.  Despite the car being FWD, it's beneficial to keep the rear planted too in high speed cornering.  At elevated speeds, many cars can create lift...which you don't want.

And it generates 66lbs of downforce...not an insignificant number.  And no trunk lid spoiler would generate that much.

But yes, on the street a standard spoiler would be fine.

Oddly enough, the rear spoiler on my Supra made 66lbs of downforce too...but at a lower speed.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12358
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2017, 05:42:48 pm »
Two bagger
You drive the most boring looking car in the market!

Anything would look over the top to you. :)

But he's not wrong.
Of course he is!

Because I like it!

Good. So give me your boring LS and go get yourself that autobot sex toy.  :rofl:

Who was it here that pegged that perfect description- Vman?
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2017, 05:49:27 pm »
Two bagger
You drive the most boring looking car in the market!

Anything would look over the top to you. :)

But he's not wrong.
Of course he is!

Because I like it!

Good. So give me your boring LS and go get yourself that autobot sex toy.  :rofl:

Who was it here that pegged that perfect description- Vman?

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2017, 06:28:48 pm »

Yes we had those in Canada I'm talking versions 3 and 4.
3 was a a blob of a thing and 4 had a crazy spoiler like version 4.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2017, 10:25:29 pm »
We didn't get the ep3 type r (blue one above) in Canada. USA and Canada got a neutered version with only 160hp. (SI in the US and the SI-R in Canada. Certainly not the type r that was available in Japan and Europe.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2017, 11:24:41 am »

How do you feel about the vortex generator nubs on the roof?  Did the Honda engineers put those there for F&F looks too?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2017, 11:28:54 am »
^^ required to hold flaps onto the fuselage and provides stability at 530mph, clearly.

;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2017, 12:59:54 pm »
^^ required to hold flaps onto the fuselage and provides stability at 530mph, clearly.

;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2017, 01:04:57 pm »

How do you feel about the vortex generator nubs on the roof?  Did the Honda engineers put those there for F&F looks too?

it's all nonsense...nothing more than the marketing department fluffing up the car with extra bits to jack the price up...any of these items likely have a purpose, but that purpose is really only going to be used on a track, and at speeds that are likely in the 8/10s of the capability of the car...also, when tracking a car, it's the sum of all parts that is important, not one or two pieces of body kit...the rear spoiler likely doesn't provide much if any lift below 120 mph, and i'd guess the car doesn't go too much above that speed anyway (maybe 160?)...as well, they better make sure the front end spoiler provides downforce, because the last thing you want is to push the rear end down as that will exaggerate the front end...you need to push both ends down fairly evenly to ensure proper airflow...then there's the suspension, brakes, rims/tires, alignment, cooling etc...so many things that are important.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2017, 02:48:24 pm »

it's all nonsense...nothing more than the marketing department fluffing up the car with extra bits to jack the price up...any of these items likely have a purpose, but that purpose is really only going to be used on a track, and at speeds that are likely in the 8/10s of the capability of the car...also, when tracking a car, it's the sum of all parts that is important, not one or two pieces of body kit...the rear spoiler likely doesn't provide much if any lift below 120 mph, and i'd guess the car doesn't go too much above that speed anyway (maybe 160?)...as well, they better make sure the front end spoiler provides downforce, because the last thing you want is to push the rear end down as that will exaggerate the front end...you need to push both ends down fairly evenly to ensure proper airflow...then there's the suspension, brakes, rims/tires, alignment, cooling etc...so many things that are important.

Did you not read the article?  The car is a beast on the track.  All the aero (front and back) provide actual down force, not just anti-lift like so many other aero bits in other cars.  The whole car was tuned as a complete package with the aero, suspension, brakes, etc. etc.  I think they did a great job for the purpose it was designed for.  The only questionable styling bits are the huge non-functional honeycomb grills in the back, but they're in the base car so not really added in the Type R.

Whether or not actual buyers take advantage of this car's prowess at the track is irrelevant.  Honda set out to create a track beast and they succeeded.  How many ZR1 buyers are actually gonna take their car out to the track to exploit their full potential?

Obviously this car is not for you, and that's fine.  But to you, and anyone else who thinks that anyone over 30 shouldn't be buying or driving this car, get over it.  I would not be embarrassed to drive this car at all.  I've seen a couple on the road and to me they look great.  I'm turning 40 in less than a month and if I didn't already have my STI, would be seriously looking at this car.  Could give two shits what other people think.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2017, 02:51:41 pm »
...as well, they better make sure the front end spoiler provides downforce, because the last thing you want is to push the rear end down as that will exaggerate the front end...you need to push both ends down fairly evenly to ensure proper airflow...then there's the suspension, brakes, rims/tires, alignment, cooling etc...so many things that are important.

I doubt Honda looked at or even thought of any of that.  This thing is just a half assed put together show piece.   :P
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2017, 02:53:19 pm »
I think I would get sick of getting asked why am I driving around my 16 year old sons riced out Civic......sorry, this thing is just horrible looking.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2017, 03:17:42 pm »

Did you not read the article?  The car is a beast on the track.  All the aero (front and back) provide actual down force, not just anti-lift like so many other aero bits in other cars.  The whole car was tuned as a complete package with the aero, suspension, brakes, etc. etc.  I think they did a great job for the purpose it was designed for.  The only questionable styling bits are the huge non-functional honeycomb grills in the back, but they're in the base car so not really added in the Type R.

Whether or not actual buyers take advantage of this car's prowess at the track is irrelevant.  Honda set out to create a track beast and they succeeded.  How many ZR1 buyers are actually gonna take their car out to the track to exploit their full potential?

Obviously this car is not for you, and that's fine.  But to you, and anyone else who thinks that anyone over 30 shouldn't be buying or driving this car, get over it.  I would not be embarrassed to drive this car at all.  I've seen a couple on the road and to me they look great.  I'm turning 40 in less than a month and if I didn't already have my STI, would be seriously looking at this car.  Could give two shits what other people think.

And let’s not forget that this car is sold in Europe as well. There are places there where cruising down the highway at 200 km/h is routine.

And that rear wing is certainly effective at speeds way less than 120 mph. Less than 120 km/h, probably.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2017, 03:29:34 pm »
I think I would get sick of getting asked why am I driving around my 16 year old sons riced out Civic......sorry, this thing is just horrible looking.
exactly...and considering no one (as in, extremely few of them) actually takes their car to the track (lest they crash it and destroy it), you're stuck driving a silly car every day of the year.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2017, 03:39:25 pm »
exactly...and considering no one (as in, extremely few of them) actually takes their car to the track (lest they crash it and destroy it), you're stuck driving a silly car every day of the year.

Well then, in that case we should just do away with every performance car ever, then.  I mean really, when are you going to use all the performance of a Camaro 1LE on anything other than a track?  Or an STI.  Or a Golf R, Corvette, Mustang GT, etc. 

If everybody thought the way you're thinking, we'd all be stuck driving regular Honda Civics and V6 CUV's. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2017, 03:43:50 pm »
Pretty sure the entire point of owning a Type R is to bring it to the track. 

So your "no one actually takes their car to the track comment" probably doesn't apply to this car.  Sure everyone won't but I bet a significant number will.

People: I wish Honda brought us the Type R

Honda: It's here!

People: Eeeew, it looks too sporty

I agree that this generation of Civic isn't the best looking car (it's kinda ugly IMO) but don't fault Honda for going all out with the Type R.  It's what it's supposed to be.  If people want something toned down they'll happily sell you the Si.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:48:43 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2017, 03:46:32 pm »

Well then, in that case we should just do away with every performance car ever, then.  I mean really, when are you going to use all the performance of a Camaro 1LE on anything other than a track?  Or an STI.  Or a Golf R, Corvette, Mustang GT, etc. 

If everybody thought the way you're thinking, we'd all be stuck driving regular Honda Civics and V6 CUV's.
not at all...some of the performance stuff can be used (to some degree) on a relatively daily basis...decent HP and TQ can be enjoyed pretty much every day (weather permitting on higher end ones)...for the wing, track suspension, etc, only when using the vehicle in 8 or 9/10s capability (track use, like i mentioned)...driving around town, none of that is going to do anything other than give you a punishing ride and hinder your visibility.