Author Topic: Looking For an SUV - Acura RDX Elite vs. Lexus NX Luxury or F Sport 2 vs. ???  (Read 19243 times)

Offline SK1124

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Corolla
I agree about the buying used vs. new. With low rates and significant discounts available for the RDX, it's probably a wash.

I had a 2017 RDX as a loaner for a day. It's boring, but decent place to be.  It was a Elite trim with heated/ventilated seats and some safety features like lane keep assist.

My friend's NX250t in black with the red leather interior is a better place to be, as long as you're on the smaller side.   I didn't feel comfortable in the NX at all even for a 30 minute ride.   

If you are younger and considering having a family, you will want to keep cargo capacity in mind.  NX has a considerably smaller cargo capacity than the RDX.

fair enough. definitely leaning towards the Lexus. It's just me and the wife at the moment so we don't need anything that big. As long as it could hold a stroller in a couple years, it would suffice. Also, given its a v4, i would imagine the lexus would be better on gas as opposed to the rdx. Test driving the Lexus tonight. 

I've got a pretty good quote at the lexus erin park (mississauga, ON). The guy I spoke to said he can get it done for $5,500 off the MSRP of $57,200 (F Sport 3 so fully loaded) plus the $1,000 manufacturer credit on top. I just have to decide whether to go down the lease to own route (i would fully expect to buy the vehicle after the 64 months are up) or finance it now. Given we are both young adults, I would rather the lower monthly payments now, so leasing takes the edge. The agent suggested that we wait until boxing week to get the best deal possible.

Acura's initial offer when we first went in was $2,000 off MSPR plus the $3000 (or may have been $3500) manufacturer credit. I know based on my conversation with the rep that I can get this down. I would honestly hate to spend money on a vehicle only to have a new and better looking one be released next year...sort of kills the buzz really quickly.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:50:01 am by SK1124 »

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
I agree about the buying used vs. new. With low rates and significant discounts available for the RDX, it's probably a wash.

I had a 2017 RDX as a loaner for a day. It's boring, but decent place to be.  It was a Elite trim with heated/ventilated seats and some safety features like lane keep assist.

My friend's NX250t in black with the red leather interior is a better place to be, as long as you're on the smaller side.   I didn't feel comfortable in the NX at all even for a 30 minute ride.   

If you are younger and considering having a family, you will want to keep cargo capacity in mind.  NX has a considerably smaller cargo capacity than the RDX.

fair enough. definitely leaning towards the Lexus. It's just me and the wife at the moment so we don't need anything that big. As long as it could hold a stroller in a couple years, it would suffice. Also, given its a v4, i would imagine the lexus would be better on gas as opposed to the rdx. Test driving the Lexus tonight. 

I've got a pretty good quote at the lexus erin park (mississauga, ON). The guy I spoke to said he can get it done for $5,500 off the MSRP of $57,200 (F Sport 3 so fully loaded) plus the $1,000 manufacturer credit on top. I just have to decide whether to go down the lease to own route (i would fully expect to buy the vehicle after the 64 months are up) or finance it now. Given we are both young adults, I would rather the lower monthly payments now, so leasing takes the edge. The agent suggested that we wait until boxing week to get the best deal possible.

Acura's initial offer when we first went in was $2,000 off MSPR plus the $3000 (or may have been $3500) manufacturer credit. I know based on my conversation with the rep that I can get this down. I would honestly hate to spend money on a vehicle only to have a new and better looking one be released next year...sort of kills the buzz really quickly.

I'm not familiar with the RDX or NX. That being said, I am familiar with having young kids.  Have you seen the size of strollers these days? Have you seen how much other "stuff" baby's come with?

You say you are planning to keep this vehicle long term, then get one with more than a thimble for a trunk, you'll find a way to fill it for sure. Speaking from experience, my wife had a Tiguan before we had kids and it was perfectly fine for two of us. If you need a little more space, you can fold the seats. However, with kid seats in the back seat, you lose that option and are stuck with the trunk only.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
I'm not really a car guy

I'm looking to purchase a new SUV. I've visited both my local Acura and Lexus dealership in Mississauga, ON and have been given decent quotes.

Also, considering leasing (and potentially buying vehicle after lease) v. financing....

I am looking to keep this car long term
K, so,

1) None of those are "SUVs".  They are crossovers, or "CUVs" if you will (Crossover Utility Vehicles).  You're new, so we'll forgive the error ;D
2) If you're interested in keeping the car long-term, then why would you consider leasing and then buying it out afterwards?  There are added costs involved, and the lease payments will be higher than if you simply finance it out.  The benefits of a lease are that at the end of the term, you can simply hand the car back (assuming no issues of excessive wear and tear/damage and within your mileage limit/allocation) and be done with it.  The downside is mainly that you don't technically "own" the car, such that you are limited on your mileage allowance, and you must repair any significant damage (normal wear and tear is fine - but a cracked fender, for example, you would have to repair even if you're OK with how it looks while driving it).

The RDX has become something of a "value" proposition in this class.  It's simply not class-leading in any real way, other than having a V6 over a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine.  V6s are smoother, typically, but they make their torque much higher in the rev range (i.e. when the engine is spinning faster).  The RDX does the 0-60 sprint in 6.2s, whereas the NX does it in 6.9s - so, yes, the RDX is faster in that regard.

Let's be honest here...both are plenty powerful, neither will be hella fuel efficient (the turbo-4 could be good if you drive it lightly, but it's impossible to know which "will use less fuel" for your purposes), the Lexus will be more luxurious, both will hold up well in terms of reliability if you maintain them properly.

Nope.  But it does have a turbo.  And we know how reliable turbos are long term.
Stop being full of :censor:...come on - this isn't the '80s, turbo 4s (inline or "I-4" - not a "V4!") are plenty reliable long-term if properly maintained - not a different story from anything that requires proper maintenance.

SK, the big take-home for you is to figure out your "needs" (as opposed to your "wants"), test drive the cars in the trims you would like to buy (i.e. don't test-drive an NX300h (hybrid) if you are going to buy the 300t (turbo), look for different wheel sizes or "sport suspension" since those will change how the ride/handling/comfort will be in the car you end up getting), and go for the one that makes the most sense for you.

If you are hauling large goods all the time, check the cargo space between them (especially if you're considering a BMW X1 or the like).  Comments re the stroller are true - but I don't suspect you'll find either the RDX or the NX "too small".

If you use the rear seats a lot, sit in them for a bit and see if they're comfortable.  Look for hidden features that you are likely to use daily (or their absence).

Good luck!

Offline SK1124

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
I'm not really a car guy

I'm looking to purchase a new SUV. I've visited both my local Acura and Lexus dealership in Mississauga, ON and have been given decent quotes.

Also, considering leasing (and potentially buying vehicle after lease) v. financing....

I am looking to keep this car long term
K, so,

1) None of those are "SUVs".  They are crossovers, or "CUVs" if you will (Crossover Utility Vehicles).  You're new, so we'll forgive the error ;D
2) If you're interested in keeping the car long-term, then why would you consider leasing and then buying it out afterwards?  There are added costs involved, and the lease payments will be higher than if you simply finance it out.  The benefits of a lease are that at the end of the term, you can simply hand the car back (assuming no issues of excessive wear and tear/damage and within your mileage limit/allocation) and be done with it.  The downside is mainly that you don't technically "own" the car, such that you are limited on your mileage allowance, and you must repair any significant damage (normal wear and tear is fine - but a cracked fender, for example, you would have to repair even if you're OK with how it looks while driving it).

The RDX has become something of a "value" proposition in this class.  It's simply not class-leading in any real way, other than having a V6 over a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine.  V6s are smoother, typically, but they make their torque much higher in the rev range (i.e. when the engine is spinning faster).  The RDX does the 0-60 sprint in 6.2s, whereas the NX does it in 6.9s - so, yes, the RDX is faster in that regard.

Let's be honest here...both are plenty powerful, neither will be hella fuel efficient (the turbo-4 could be good if you drive it lightly, but it's impossible to know which "will use less fuel" for your purposes), the Lexus will be more luxurious, both will hold up well in terms of reliability if you maintain them properly.

Nope.  But it does have a turbo.  And we know how reliable turbos are long term.
Stop being full of :censor:...come on - this isn't the '80s, turbo 4s (inline or "I-4" - not a "V4!") are plenty reliable long-term if properly maintained - not a different story from anything that requires proper maintenance.

SK, the big take-home for you is to figure out your "needs" (as opposed to your "wants"), test drive the cars in the trims you would like to buy (i.e. don't test-drive an NX300h (hybrid) if you are going to buy the 300t (turbo), look for different wheel sizes or "sport suspension" since those will change how the ride/handling/comfort will be in the car you end up getting), and go for the one that makes the most sense for you.

If you are hauling large goods all the time, check the cargo space between them (especially if you're considering a BMW X1 or the like).  Comments re the stroller are true - but I don't suspect you'll find either the RDX or the NX "too small".

If you use the rear seats a lot, sit in them for a bit and see if they're comfortable.  Look for hidden features that you are likely to use daily (or their absence).

Good luck!

Super helpful. Thank you!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,

Acura's initial offer when we first went in was $2,000 off MSPR plus the $3000 (or may have bee $3500) manufacturer credit. I know based on my conversation with the rep that I can get this down.

Re: fuel mileage.  Actually no.  The RDX is better real world.  Turbo's like fuel.

If you are really looking for the cheapest approach, you could look at the Toyota Rav4 which shares the same platform with the Lexus.  Then you could buy a used Miata as well.  Just for the 2 of you.

Not a completely crazy idea. I actually was thinking of something like a loaded Murano or Edge and a full restoration TR6 for awhile when I was shopping.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
Although extra costs are involved a lease can be an excellent long term test drive if you plan to own long term.
Also if this is to be a family vehicle a lease might work in your favour if you decide to up-size down the road.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
as No-san said, if you plan on keeping it long term, don't lease it, just buy it...in the end, it will likely be considerably less expensive...if you lease it, your monthly payment may be slightly lower, but your overall costs can be quite a bit more...at the end of the lease, there are fees with buying it, certifying it, putting it in your name, etc...if you finance it, none of that is needed since that is done at the beginning...also, if you buy it, you can get a zero depreciation waiver with your insurance company (most offer this now), so if the vehicle is written off within the first 5 years, you get a cheque for the price of a new one (not a depreciated value)...leasing also means you need to return the vehicle in good condition and within the kms allotted or you need to pay to bring it to that condition ($$)...also, the interest rates play a bit role too...if you finance at a decent rate (0% or close to it), your interests costs are marginal...leasing works the same way of course, but with a lease, your interest is based on the full value of the car (at said rate)...so if the vehicle is $50k, and you get 1.9% lease rate, your interest costs are based on the entire $50k price, even though your principal portion is only based on X% of the value of the vehicle (maybe 60% or something like that if you are doing a longer term lease like 64 months).

in some cases, leasing makes sense, usually on a 36-48 month term...i personally don't see the point in a 64 month lease...you might as well just buy it, even if at 84 months financing (assuming the rates are good)...when we bought our Sorento, we got 84 month financing at 0% interest whereas Ford was 3.9% but did offer "Friends & Family Pricing" at the time (we looked at an Edge)...even with a discount on the Ford of about $4000, it still came out to $10,000 more expensive than the Sorento (when you take your monthly payment and multiply it by the term)...be sure to check the math on the different vehicles and different terms, you'd be surprised how different some of them can be regardless of what fancy numbers are thrown around initially.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Although extra costs are involved a lease can be an excellent long term test drive if you plan to own long term.
Also if this is to be a family vehicle a lease might work in your favour if you decide to up-size down the road.
i think it would be better to do more research and ensure you are making the right decision on what is likely the 2nd most expensive purchase you make (home being first)...and getting rid of a leased vehicle is not always easy...you either have to have someone take over your lease (which can be hard to find) or you have to turn it in early...if you turn it in early, you still need to pay for the remaining months, unless you can get a dealership to eat it...it really depends on the condition of the vehicle, the buyout value (which is increased if remaining lease payments exist) and the likelihood of the dealership being able to sell the vehicle in a timely manner...if you want to get rid of the vehicle after 48 months, and you did a 64 month lease, that's going to be a pretty hefty buyout.

if you finance it, you can trade it in at any time...of course, depending on the circumstances, you may owe more than what you get in on trade, so it's always best to try to make the right decision from the start...if you're thinking of kids in a few years, the NX and possibly the RDX are likely going to be too small...if you get something like this, you're setting yourself up for some difficult financial decisions down the road...if you aren't going to have kids, you're likely fine.

Offline SK1124

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
Is it worth even considering european CUV's like the audi or bmw? i've been turned off of them since multiple people have told me if I want to keep it long terms be weary of the costs associated with those vehicles down the road.

I guess I'm just running out of cars to look at...I didnt like the Mazda cx-5. I'm not a fan of the look of CR-V at all. Wife doesn't like the look of the inifiniti...etc.

I checked out the Kia sorrento EX v4 turbo which was much cheaper than the Lexus but worried about the long term outlook of a Kia and some of the other more affordable cars (hyundai etc.). Save money now but in 5-6 years will it come back to bite me?

I wish buying a car was an easy process!!! Seems like everyone has their own (and very different) opinions lol.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
We don't know much about SK, either, and I don't mean to dissuade you from buying the "car of your dreams" or what-not, but make sure you're not stretching your after-tax budget too far to get a $60,000-ish car.  For one thing, kids are really expensive, and for another, the cost of buying a car is only one consideration (winter tires...insurance...fuel...maintenance...).  If you have to stretch a lease into 5-years or more to get the payments "low enough", I would heavily dissuade you from going after such a pricey vehicle.

Consider your monthly budget very seriously before you get into the "luxury car lifestyle".

Is it worth even considering european CUV's like the audi or bmw? i've been turned off of them since multiple people have told me if I want to keep it long terms be weary of the costs associated with those vehicles down the road.

I checked out the Kia sorrento EX v4 turbo which was much cheaper than the Lexus but worried about the long term outlook of a Kia and some of the other cheaper cars (hyundai etc.). Save money now but in 5-6 years will it come back to bite me?
No cars these days will be so patently "unreliable" that you should be "so concerned".  ...but again, if you are so concerned about these unanticipated costs, you likely should not be buying in this segment.  If you have the money to cover it, but are just trying to avoid the plausibility of it happening to you, that's a different story.

The Sorento, for what it's worth, is a fantastic vehicle.  It was just updated, too, for 2018 and it's a fantastic choice.

Offline SK1124

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
We don't know much about SK, either, and I don't mean to dissuade you from buying the "car of your dreams" or what-not, but make sure you're not stretching your after-tax budget too far to get a $60,000-ish car.  For one thing, kids are really expensive, and for another, the cost of buying a car is only one consideration (winter tires...insurance...fuel...maintenance...).  If you have to stretch a lease into 5-years or more to get the payments "low enough", I would heavily dissuade you from going after such a pricey vehicle.

Consider your monthly budget very seriously before you get into the "luxury car lifestyle".

I checked out the Kia sorrento EX v4 turbo which was much cheaper than the Lexus but worried about the long term outlook of a Kia and some of the other cheaper cars (hyundai etc.). Save money now but in 5-6 years will it come back to bite me?
No cars these days will be so patently "unreliable" that you should be "so concerned".  ...but again, if you are so concerned about these unanticipated costs, you likely should not be buying in this segment.  If you have the money to cover it, but are just trying to avoid the plausibility of it happening to you, that's a different story.

The Sorento, for what it's worth, is a fantastic vehicle.  It was just updated, too, for 2018 and it's a fantastic choice.

It was. Had a great test drive with it as well!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

quoted for truth...the actual purchase price is but one component of the cost of owning a car...insurance, extras (winter tires, etc), maintenance and repairs also need to be factored in...new cars obviously have warranty, so you shouldn't have to worry about that too much for the next few years, but some cars can be quite costly to maintain.

for what it's worth, we're very happy with our 2016 Sorento...i know it's only 2 years old, but it's been trouble free and very affordable to maintain...my Rio5 is almost 6 years old (late Feb) and has been equally great...only regular maintenance, which has been very low cost, so far...no, neither are Lexus or Audi fancy/premium...but they are very decent vehicles, affordable and have been very reliable for us...like you, i was a little unsure about long term reliability/costs for repairs with Kia, so i figured the money i saved versus a few of other vehicles i looked at, could go towards longer warranties (we have 10 year/200,000 kms full warranty on both vehicles)...i have yet to use it (only applicable on my Rio5 since it's the oldest), but it's there if i need it, and the slight increase in the monthly payment was easier to manage than a potential expensive repair cost down the road.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:35:28 am by dirtyjeffer »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I have had 3 turbo cars (currently have one plus a supercharged V8).  They require more maintenance over a NA engine and any time you boost a motor, especially a small one, you run the risk of failure.

This isn't science; this is simply common sense.
I disagree - it is exactly science.  The same science that tells you that a turbocharged engine has been designed to handle certain tolerances within a warranty period, and with the intention of it extending beyond that time as well.  IIRC, the Lexus has a 4-year warranty, whereas the RDX's is only 3 years...NX's engine is a timing chain, whereas the RDX's is a belt.  Blanket statements regarding reliability cannot be accepted as "truth".

...and yes, you have 3 turbocharged cars.  How many of them (if kept stock) have had turbo failures?

Of course, if you modify a turbocharged engine to beyond its designed tolerances, it'll be more prone to failure.

...but no, turbocharged engines are not so vastly difficult to maintain.  Maybe using synthetic over conventional oil?  $20/oil change (and Ron will tell you to do a once/year change any way)?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I have had 3 turbo cars (currently have one plus a supercharged V8).  They require more maintenance over a NA engine and any time you boost a motor, especially a small one, you run the risk of failure.

This isn't science; this is simply common sense.
i too am curious about this...i've had 2 turbo cars and none had issues...an old Mazda MX-GT (which had a tranny failure) and our current Sorento...the Sorento Turbo requires no more maintenance than it's normally aspirated brethren...as well, both our Kias have timing chains, so i don't even have to bother with belts.

i'm sure this isn't exclusive to Kia, but here's an example of the torture test their engines go through (done at their R&D Tech facility in Ann Arbor, MI)...full load, redline, 300 hours...once passed, 10-20% above redline for an additional 10-20 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNPB3RtHN2M

as No-san stated, engine component failures today are pretty uncommon in any car...unless FGC.  :P :stick:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
We could always suggest that OP goes for a 2016 Buick Envision Premium II for cheaper, it'll appreciate in value, and it has three-zone climate control to keep the future baby nicely coddled while the parents' sweating is tempered.  And think of the fuel economy!!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
We could always suggest that OP goes for a 2016 Buick Envision Premium II for cheaper, it'll appreciate in value, and it has three-zone climate control to keep the future baby nicely coddled while the parents' sweating is tempered.  And think of the fuel economy!!

You forgot the $10K rebate!
I did say "for cheaper", but yes, I could have been more clear as to why the 2016 Buick Envision Premium II is the best vehicle available for purchase, bar none.  Did I mention that it gets 32 MPG on the highway "at a good clip"?  :)

I would also suggest equipping it with Hercules tires inflated to 50psi for a smooth, bump-free ride.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile

I was just on acura.ca.  The 2017's have a discount of $2k and the interest rate for 48 months is 1.9% for 48 months.   The MSRP after PDI, etch minus the discount is $42k.

A 2015 CPO is $28k with 47k km. The CPO interest rate is 3.9%. 

A 2016 CPO with 37k km was 34k.

Not exactly a wash, but not a slam dunk for going used.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I said that maintenance is generally higher and that more things can go wrong with a turbo motor. 

-yes on the synthetic requirement.  But these engines also require more frequent oil changes increasing cost even more (the $20 increase for synthetic is optimistic, BTW).
-spark plugs need to be replaced more frequently.
-transmission fluid needs to be changed more frequently.
-speaking of turbo failure - they do happen and if it is out of warranty, the cost can be significant assuming it doesn't cause other issues with the motor.
Canadian Tire charges a $20 surcharge for synthetic over conventional - hardly being "optimistic".

I laugh in your general direction as irony casts its shadow on you:
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_maintenance1.html

Spark Plugs- Impreza, Forester
all except turbos (see below) - every 30 months

Spark Plugs- all Outback/Legacy; all turbos; all 3.6L 6 cylinder engines - every 60 months
So, looky here, Cletus, you change spark plugs LESS frequently on Subaru Turbo motors.  Hmmm, fancy that.
/gloating

Insofar as transmissions are concerned, many now do not recommend any transmission fluid changes for the life of the vehicle.  Subaru is one of them with the CVT, and inspect only at 30 and 90 month intervals (oddly not at 60 or 120).

I agree with you that turbochargers, if they die, would be a pricey fix...but assuming an engine remains stock, preventative maintenance is done, and you don't drive like an Aussie in his 30s after having come to Canada, then yeah, a turbo motor should last just as long as a naturally-aspirated one.
/rant
/makingfunofJacob
;D

P.S.
Damn, so our Fozzie's at 82 months.  The 96 month service is gonna be ouchy-as-:censor:.  Dunno the cost yet (says 4.3-5.5 hours of work :-X), but it's one we should probably do.  Gah.

The funny part is that now that I DIY some stuff, it's remarkable how much I can say "leave off, please":
• Replace engine oil and filter
• Rotate tires and inspect for wear
• Inspect tire condition and adjust all tire pressures
 including spare

• Remove, inspect and service front and rear brakes
• Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
• Inspect operation of all lights, wipers and washers
• Inspect and adjust drive belt tension if necessary
• Service battery
• Inspect axle boot condition
• Lubricate all latches, hinges and locks
• Inspect all steering and suspension components
• Check under body for damage
• Test coolant, inspect hoses and clamps
• Inspect engine and cabin air filters – replace if necessary
• Replace spark plugs
• Replace transmission and differential fluids
• Wheel alignment (recommended)*
• Road test
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 01:46:53 pm by No-san »

Offline SK1124

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
As a impartial car guy, no car isnt on my list! heads to subaru website! lol

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I actually didn't mention 'turbo failure.'

I said that maintenance is generally higher and that more things can go wrong with a turbo motor.  Yes, even today.  It isn't like these 2.0L turbos have forged pistons and race bred tolerances. Everything is stressed more highly with a turbo motor.

-yes on the synthetic requirement.  But these engines also require more frequent oil changes increasing cost even more (the $20 increase for synthetic is optimistic, BTW).
-spark plugs need to be replaced more frequently.
-transmission fluid needs to be changed more frequently.
-speaking of turbo failure - they do happen and if it is out of warranty, the cost can be significant assuming it doesn't cause other issues with the motor.

Cryptic?  No.  I continue to buy turbocharged motors.  Will a turbo motor last 200K?  Sure. But to think that they will be as reliable as a normally aspirated motor is looking at the forest for the trees.
i get my Rio and Sorento oil changed every spring and fall when the tires get swapped...from looking at the owners manual for a 2018 Sorento, it calls for oil changes every 12,000 kms for NA engines or every 10,000 kms for turbo engines...they also use conventional oil (of course, if you wish to use synthetic, i'm sure that's fine too).

EDIT: regarding spark plugs, the 2018 Sorento suggests spark plug replacement at 144,000 kms for the Turbo models (2.0T) and 156,000 kms for the NA engines (2.4 and 3.3)...again, a negligible difference to be a non-issue.

i'm not buying your argument regarding turbo engines...sure, there are some turds out there (subies, bwm, etc), but they are outliers, not the norm.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:39:12 pm by dirtyjeffer »