Author Topic: Getting frustrated with private sale cars  (Read 2985 times)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Getting frustrated with private sale cars
« on: October 11, 2017, 08:58:09 am »
I spend hours searching and come up with a list of cars for private sale that seem worthwhile.  I contact the seller a number of times but the seller doesn't respond.  What gives?  If they sold the car, why don't they just remove the listing?  Do they like getting bothered with emails from strangers?

Rant over.

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
Re: Getting frustrated with private sale cars
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:22:53 am »
I listed my van on the weekend.  Text #1 - "what's the lowest price you'll go?" No other questions.  I ignored them.  Text #2 - different number, asks to interact through email.  After a couple of emails about the condition of the vehicle, he writes he'll take it, but he'll pay through Paypal and have someone pick it up.  I've had one legitimate contact so far.  It was a person who took the time to call me.   

I hate this private sale stuff, but my wife likes/tolerates it.  She is much more patient with buyers and sellers than me; I think she empathizes more with people just trying to get the most bang for their buck. 
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:08:38 am »
I listed my van on the weekend.  Text #1 - "what's the lowest price you'll go?" No other questions.  I ignored them.  Text #2 - different number, asks to interact through email.  After a couple of emails about the condition of the vehicle, he writes he'll take it, but he'll pay through Paypal and have someone pick it up.  I've had one legitimate contact so far.  It was a person who took the time to call me.   

I hate this private sale stuff, but my wife likes/tolerates it.  She is much more patient with buyers and sellers than me; I think she empathizes more with people just trying to get the most bang for their buck. 

People really are the worst. That's why I had no patience to sell my TL privately other than through someone I knew or a forum member who is reasonable. Other than that I'd rather just take the hit on the trade and not deal with the hassle.

That's my mentality.....I make sure friends and family know I'm selling (they know I maintain vehicles properly), and if nobody bites then it gets traded.  With the HST offset, I've never been so far away on a trade versus selling privately to make it worth my while to go the kijiji route. 

If I had a $3000 car that the dealer was offering $500 for, I'd go private....or at the other end, if I made a mistake and was trying to offload a nearly new vehicle, I'd also go private.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 10:40:07 am »
your last bit is what i get to see all the time. cars that might never get safetied again. everyone thinks they can get 2k for their car with zero effort involved... when i tell them i don't want to give them more than scrap (about 300) they think i'm a jerk. meanwhile, if it was on kijiji, everyone will ask, "is it safetied?" and when you say why it's not, you will never sell it.

more than 50% of the cars that i give 2k or less for are never plated again. the new safety rules are hard.

my last two customers... a 2000 golf with over 300k and a 2002 intrigue with 250k... first guy wanted 2500, next guy wanted 1500... no. you might think your car is "solid", but it is not. it is worth parts, and those are not even desirable parts.

i'm sure you'll see them on kijiji soon for 3k.... and in two months it will be given to kidney cars or something.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 10:57:53 am »
We rarely sell cars that are pricey enough to require financing, etc, as we drive our cars until they're old.  Selling a cheaper car privately is easy - I've never had any issues with weeding out the scammers and finding serious buyers.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 11:15:17 am »
When I was looking to replace my MSP, the most any dealer would give me was $500 on trade so I decided to try and sell it privately when I got my STI.  Listed for $4k As is, knowing I would get lowballed.  It helped that I wasn't in a rush to sell.  Did a lot of ignoring to obviously fake inquiries.  Eventually had some serious buyers come by and check out the car.  Got an offer from a family for their son in university for $3K.  Sold!!!  I couldn't have asked for a better buyer.  They all came down to check out the car, test drive, and we all came out happy.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 11:50:00 am »
Weeding out scammers, as John mentioned, is pretty easy. The worst are no-shows, guys who seem serious, ask a ton of questions, setup a viewing and then their wife (or someone...something) shoots the idea and rather than being decent and calling to let the seller know they've lost interest, they just don't show up.....Happens a lot with the 'toy' type cars i usually sell.
Cheaper is definitely easier too...Anything over $10K, privately without financing and your market starts to get a little thin.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 01:15:06 pm »
"How much? How much? That's a lot of money. Tell you what I'm going to do. I have this goat...."

;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 03:04:12 pm »
i sold my old Taurus on kijiji and my last motorcycle...both sold in a day with no fuss...the car was only $1700 and the bike was $3800 so neither was huge dollars.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 10:02:46 pm »
When I'm selling something on line, when I get the obvious scams, I reply that I'll take 10 times the asking price, in cash, in US funds, sent by FedEx, and the buyer should reply within two hours with the tracking number.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 05:04:58 am »
Yea, I don't mind selling cars and bikes. Mostly because I give zero f*cks.

If it sells, it sells.

I also partially enjoy telling people to go f*ck themselves. I never tire of that...

My main annoyance is buying cars...as you point out lots of flakes out there. But it is what it is, and I don't mind the chase all that much..
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 08:35:36 am »
Should have bought the Mango TL 😛

If I could afford it, I definitely would have.  :(
How much did it end up going for?

EDIT: I guess you traded it in after seeing your post after.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:41:28 am by carcrazed »

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 08:47:42 am »
So, does anyone here have a decently maintained cheap car for sale?
My dad is looking for something in $4-6K range, depending on model and year.

I picked up my 09 Civic yesterday; I used my old plates from 2009 to match the age of the car. :)
Then I filled it up with Costco gas, drove from Newmarket to Mississauga.  Only one bar out of about 14 bars went down on the digital gas gauge. It felt good after having been driving my MDX to see the gas gauge with premium gas visibly going down for years lol.

I left the Civic with my dad since he needs one for work. I can still ride my bike to the GO station until it gets down to 2-3 degrees in the morning.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 12:01:46 pm »
if i get any trades that are on that cusp, i'll let you know. my last few have been garbage, but i'll keep my eye out.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 12:19:59 pm »
"How much? How much? That's a lot of money. Tell you what I'm going to do. I have this goat...."

;D

I'm not sure why this technique doesn't work. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 12:37:16 pm »
^ :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 01:38:03 pm »
if i get any trades that are on that cusp, i'll let you know. my last few have been garbage, but i'll keep my eye out.

Thanks tooscoops. 

He's out right now looking at a 06 TL with 210K for $5500 and a 07 Camry XLE with 210K for $5100.
I'll keep you guys posted.
I think he could go with a Camry Solara I4 coupe that's on market for $4500 with 145K. What do you guys think? 

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 01:59:20 pm »
Selling I have found less hassle with more expensive models. I sold my V70R for almost $30k to a doctor, the G8 GT ($24k)  to a rig worker and the LR3 ($15)k to some sort of well off rock climbing hippy.  In all cases it was cash of the barrel head and I was clear about that up front. All were sold in a few days.

For buying it has worked out well although I screen my cars well to avoid scammers. I target cars being sold by people richer than myself. They usually own the vehicle outright and transactions are simple. I bought the LR4 privately 3 years old for 45% MSRP off a rich guy who ordered a Range Rover Autobiography ($150k ish) and was pissed at what the dealer offered him (35% MSRP). He wasn't hung up on the price just the principal of the matter.

My Contour SVT was bought off another rich dude who had accumulated enough Ford points on his credit card to buy the car. He wasn't really a ford guy but he drove the fun little zippy car for a ear and then sold to me for a screaming deal since he had to real money into it..

TIP: Buy off of rich anal-retentive people (ie. dealer maintained to the max).

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 05:17:48 pm »
Selling I have found less hassle with more expensive models. I sold my V70R for almost $30k to a doctor, the G8 GT ($24k)  to a rig worker and the LR3 ($15)k to some sort of well off rock climbing hippy.  In all cases it was cash of the barrel head and I was clear about that up front. All were sold in a few days.

For buying it has worked out well although I screen my cars well to avoid scammers. I target cars being sold by people richer than myself. They usually own the vehicle outright and transactions are simple. I bought the LR4 privately 3 years old for 45% MSRP off a rich guy who ordered a Range Rover Autobiography ($150k ish) and was pissed at what the dealer offered him (35% MSRP). He wasn't hung up on the price just the principal of the matter.

My Contour SVT was bought off another rich dude who had accumulated enough Ford points on his credit card to buy the car. He wasn't really a ford guy but he drove the fun little zippy car for a ear and then sold to me for a screaming deal since he had to real money into it..

That gives me an idea.  analretentivecarsales.com
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 11:09:59 pm »

That gives me an idea.  analretentivecarsales.com
That's essentially what I got, a local dealer maintained Civic, but from the dealer that serviced it.