Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech FWD  (Read 8563 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech FWD
« on: December 12, 2014, 06:28:09 am »

Acura takes the SX out of TSX.
Read More...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech FWD
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 08:55:52 am »
Standard equipment in the TLX is abundant, including heated windshield

What does heated windshield mean?  I thought all windshields were heated by the HVAC system.  Does this mean that there is 'more', such as invisible filament running through it?  Or does it mean heated windshield wiper strip?  Clarification?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Test Drive: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech FWD
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 10:20:15 am »

What does heated windshield mean?  I thought all windshields were heated by the HVAC system.  Does this mean that there is 'more', such as invisible filament running through it?  Or does it mean heated windshield wiper strip?  Clarification?
Invisible elements.  Similar to Land Rovers.

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 10:23:10 am »
  After seeing the Accord succeed with the handsome new styling I thought Honda/Acura were back on track. Sadly this car is just lacking aesthetically, I'm seeing 10 year old Buick in there. In this category the engine is hopelessly outclassed, Honda you better start pressurizing your motors or throw in the towel.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 10:29:55 am »
P-AWS is standard on all TLX models.
Very incorrect, sir.

P-AWS is not available with the V6 engine as all V6s are AWD and it's a one or the other.
Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) (replaces Precision All-Wheel Steer™ system)
http://www.acura.ca/tlx/specs

He means a windshield wiper de-icer.  There is no heater elements throughout the windshield as used by Jaguar, as per the spec sheet.  Sorry mixmanmash.

As for the styling, I agree that the TLX really does lack presence from the side/rear.  It just doesn't look expensive.  The front end is nice though.
[/quote]Competitors:
Buick Regal[/quote]
 ::)

but the less expensive (to buy and to run) I-4 is really more than adequate (no all-wheel drive with the I-4, however, if that’s a consideration).
This still upsets me.  More so because if I want AWD, I'm stuck with the 9-speed automatic instead of that delicious 8-speed with torque converter.  The nose-heavy V6 isn't ideal, but the 9-speed autobox is the killer for me.

If the base I4 came with the 8-speed and SH-AWD, there is nothing Subaru could do to get me into a WRX instead of this.  Yeah yeah, not the same type of car, but as a young professional, I am more attracted to the luxury and presence of the TLX, but would be content with 'only' 200hp so long as it still had AWD for days like yesterday in the GTA.  Thankfully, I had the RX400h at my disposal.  I won't be buying another FWD car ever again in my lifetime.  Decision made.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 11:49:31 am »
I still think this car has a good chance of ending up in my driveway in three or four years as a used buy.  This would pretty much be the exact spec I'd be going for, too.  I love the economy of 4-cylinders in this segment, and find that they have enough power to do the job that is demanded of them.  As far as AWD is concerned, I don't really find I need it at all.  FWD with a good set of winter tires is more than enough for our climate.

Or, maybe in three years I'll be checking out the used prices on a 2015 Genesis V6 Tech.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 11:51:02 am »
  After seeing the Accord succeed with the handsome new styling I thought Honda/Acura were back on track. Sadly this car is just lacking aesthetically, I'm seeing 10 year old Buick in there. In this category the engine is hopelessly outclassed, Honda you better start pressurizing your motors or throw in the towel.

How the hell is the engine outclassed?   In the world of naturally aspirated four cylinders, this motor is on the higher end of output.  If it isn't enough for you, well, lucky for you there's a V6 available.  So, what's your problem with it?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 12:01:53 pm »
As far as AWD is concerned, I don't really find I need it at all.  FWD with a good set of winter tires is more than enough for our climate.
Did you drive anywhere yesterday?  I mean, I did in an RX400h with iG51vs at the corners.  I also drove 6 other cars, 5 of which had winter tires on, and all of them being FWD.  While I was never stuck, nor did I have any collisions, the RX meant that I had far more control and stability.

Also, Jacob got stuck in one of the cars while trying to enter a plaza for a bite.  So, yeah, "FWD...is enough for our climate" but I wouldn't say "more than".

My bigger beef is if I'm buying a luxury/sporty/performance sedan, I want it to be more than "enough".  I want it to be the proverbial sh!t.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 12:08:44 pm »
As far as AWD is concerned, I don't really find I need it at all.  FWD with a good set of winter tires is more than enough for our climate.
Did you drive anywhere yesterday?  I mean, I did in an RX400h with iG51vs at the corners.  I also drove 6 other cars, 5 of which had winter tires on, and all of them being FWD.  While I was never stuck, nor did I have any collisions, the RX meant that I had far more control and stability.

Also, Jacob got stuck in one of the cars while trying to enter a plaza for a bite.  So, yeah, "FWD...is enough for our climate" but I wouldn't say "more than".

My bigger beef is if I'm buying a luxury/sporty/performance sedan, I want it to be more than "enough".  I want it to be the proverbial sh!t.

I did a fair bit of driving yesterday.  I'm in Winnipeg though, aren't you in the GTA?  We have a slightly different climate than you.  I stand by my statement that FWD with a good set of winters is enough to tackle any condition I'm likely to see here.

Heck, last winter we got record amounts of snowfall here in Winnipeg.  There wasn't a situation that our old Epica equipped with relatively crappy Goodyear Nordics couldn't handle or get out of.

Also, I'm not sure I would classify Acura as 'luxury'.  it certainly isn't priced as such.  It's more 'near-luxury'.  I know, semantics.  But it's true.  As such, you can't expect every single goodie that you would find on an E-class or 5-series.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:13:06 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 12:09:45 pm »
But Jacob not use to snow haha

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 12:28:13 pm »

P-AWS is not available with the V6 engine as all V6s are AWD and it's a one or the other.
Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) (replaces Precision All-Wheel Steer™ system)
http://www.acura.ca/tlx/specs
[...]
If the base I4 came with the 8-speed and SH-AWD, there is nothing Subaru could do to get me into a WRX instead of this.  Yeah yeah, not the same type of car, but as a young professional, I am more attracted to the luxury and presence of the TLX, but would be content with 'only' 200hp so long as it still had AWD for days like yesterday in the GTA.  Thankfully, I had the RX400h at my disposal.  I won't be buying another FWD car ever again in my lifetime.  Decision made.

Not all V6 models are SH-AWD, there's also V6 FWD, and I believe it also has PAWS.

Yes, 4cyl with SH-AWD and 8sp DCT makes perfect sense for me, it's a shame Acura does not offer it.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 01:43:09 pm »
Acura proof again it follows the tradition! The motor is negligible comparing with the competition. Outside look is again a controversial issue. The second generation letter name abbreviation is only competitive to ...Lincoln's! And the number of models is going down when it is opposite way for Buick, Volvo  and Lexus, don't even mind Mercedes, BMW and Audi...

Offline CAS

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Jetta VR6, GTI 1.8T, 330ci, RSX, SAAB 9-3 2.0T, '13 Accord 6-sp, '15 GTI 4dr w/6-sp
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 01:46:52 pm »
Wish stick was offered, preferably AWD. I find stopped on an uphill with front wheel drive with winter tires and deep snow is kind of challenging to get going with a lot of the car weight at the back.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 01:49:50 pm »

No I didn't, I momentarily got hooked up on a snow plough bank (the first time in my life I'd crossed one), but soon figured out the way to get through it all by myself. Nobody even had to get out of their car! #winner

AWD wouldn't have helped me, it was my too-low approach speed that created the issue.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 02:36:51 pm »
Acura proof again it follows the tradition! The motor is negligible comparing with the competition. Outside look is again a controversial issue. The second generation letter name abbreviation is only competitive to ...Lincoln's! And the number of models is going down when it is opposite way for Buick, Volvo  and Lexus, don't even mind Mercedes, BMW and Audi...

and they will have a minivan!  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 05:33:21 pm »
Wish stick was offered, preferably AWD. I find stopped on an uphill with front wheel drive with winter tires and deep snow is kind of challenging to get going with a lot of the car weight at the back.

Acura has decided to leave all driver's pretensions behind, sadly.  I guess those so inclined will have to settle for an Accord...

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 06:12:16 pm »
I found the front collision alert way too sensitive, and the pedestrian cross road alert completely unreliable. Honda's electronics are not really all that hot. The dash is Tokyo by night, the infotainment semi-useless until you invest hours into learning it.

The I4 engine and transmission feel like Mighty Mouse, at least when the gas pedal doesn't go to sleep as happened on  my test drive, and has happened to some owners as documented on acurazine.  The 8 speed kept the engine in its sweet spot of about 950 rpm as I drove slowly up a steep incline, buck, judder. Very upscale.

The V6 I drove next had a cyclic vibration at 110 kph, just as others have found as well. The AWD model I drove seemed fine, a bit heavy and ponderous, hardly sporting, but the 9 speed was very slow to shift gears when I attempted to use the paddles . Flooring it at highway speed elicited a full two-second delay before anything happened. Slow-witted. The pushbuttons washed out on a sunny day- couldn't see the P or R  button in the glare. I guess a shift lever is just too passe and ordinary.

Then you have standard deep orange peel paint, and all 7 samples I looked at had misfitting driver's doors.

This car is proving quite popular, I assume being purchased without due diligence just trusting Honda to get it right.

If I found these problems on three test drives, I just cannot imagine what the average non-enthusiast prospective owner must be thinking. Perhaps they're not. The very nice salesperson advised me that cars were changing, implying my dislike of the transmission was my fault. Skilfully done and totally irrelevant because who's spending the money?

TLX. Half-baked, not as well asembled as the Accord, although nicer overall, as it is at least quiet and rides far better. The V6 is like a Buick of 15 years ago, a bit of a cruiser for those with their minds out of gear. About as sporting as any GM van with the Sport badge glued on next to the door handle. Even this review mentions agile and nimble, which I presume is due to self-hypnosis.

It'll continue to sell very well to the non-critical, I'm sure.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 10:23:49 pm »
Spot on review.  :thumbup:

Down the road, the rear steering might suffer from alignment issues.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 11:11:39 am »
I really like this car, but then, I am a Honda fan so of course this would appeal to me. The styling elements would be found attractive by anyone who also likes the rest of the lineup, but of course, may not reel in anyone who isn't already a fan of the brand.

Of course, there is one giant problem that would make me pause before purchasing this car...

Wish stick was offered...
I guess those so inclined will have to settle for an Accord...

Yep, looks like the Accord Sport is still the only upgrade car for me to get from Honda. I will be dragged from three pedals kicking and screaming!

At least I can still get a stick in a Regal GS. Yes, the Buick has an available manual and Acura doesn't. Clearly, the end is nigh.

Offline cloud7

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 01:16:10 pm »
Yup, looks like I will keep my previous generation TL SH-AWD with the 6-speed manual!