Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition 30  (Read 9663 times)

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition 30
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 02:23:56 pm »
This model VW is a leftover from the old expansionist policy of VW when they asked premium price for ...nothing. Obviously GLI isn't covered with the ordinary Jetta price reducing wave...But if VW can do something this is offering cars making its own market niche! Only "German engineering" fans could buy them.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 02:39:43 pm »
Competitors:
Honda Civic Sedan Si
Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
Subaru WRX Sedan

This car's true competitors remain Honda's Accord Touring / Sport, the Toyota Camry and Mazda's 6.  And other dull mid-size examples of course. 

I agree, but I have to say...the trunk is huge - bigger than my Ford Taurus because it has a flat surface.
Why do you think so? The Jetta is no midsize. It has a small midsize like legroom but it's still narrow like a compact.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 08:54:52 pm »
FYI -- the tester Golf I have in the driveway right now, powered by a 1.8TSI with manual transmission, in mid-trim with some options, is over $31,000.

My jaw dropped.

Is that after taxes? I'm assuming that this is the 5-door, and by mid-trim you mean Comfortline which starts at $22,895. Which means a lot of options if that $31k is pre tax!

Of course, the top-of-the-line Highline starts at $28,495 and if you want it with TDI, DSG, and multimedia it'll be $34,590. Before freight/taxes/etc!

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 09:10:24 pm »
Competitors:
Honda Civic Sedan Si
Subaru WRX Sedan

Yeah, maybe in VW's wet dreams....

This car's true competitors remain Honda's Accord Touring / Sport, the Toyota Camry and Mazda's 6.  And other dull mid-size examples of course. 

If you compare it to the cars listed above, the GLI is as expensive as a WRX Sport Tech / Lancer Ralliart and lacking their AWD systems (not to mention their fun-to-drive factors) and a whopping $8000 more than Honda's SI Sedan. 

Sticking a bunch of pretty bits onto it doesn't change that fact.

I think a different engine and suspension constitutes more than "pretty bits". By that standard, isn't the WRX just an Impreza with stuff stuck on? Also, while reviewers have wished for more power, I've never heard of a GLI being referred to as a "dull midsize car."

Like the article suggests, this is for those who want a sporty compact sedan without the boy racer looks/image of an Si or WRX.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition 30
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 09:29:52 pm »

Competitors:
Honda Civic Sedan Si
Subaru WRX Sedan

Yeah, maybe in VW's wet dreams....

If you compare it to the cars listed above, the GLI is as expensive as a WRX Sport Tech / Lancer Ralliart and lacking their AWD systems (not to mention their fun-to-drive factors) and a whopping $8000 more than Honda's SI Sedan. 

Sticking a bunch of pretty bits onto it doesn't change that fact.

I think a different engine and suspension constitutes more than "pretty bits". By that standard, isn't the WRX just an Impreza with stuff stuck on? Also, while reviewers have wished for more power, I've never heard of a GLI being referred to as a "dull midsize car."

Like the article suggests, this is for those who want a sporty compact sedan without the boy racer looks/image of an Si or WRX.

Thanks. Someone understands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 10:43:01 am »
This is a GTI with a trunk, I didn't hear all the complaining about the GTI pricing!

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 11:08:46 am »
$35,740.00 seems high considering a fully loaded Passat Highline with a V6 and DSG can be had for $1,000 more.  it's bigger, more comfortable and more powerful with more features and a premium interior.  Seems like a better value to me.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 11:21:32 am »
Jettas sold in the North America are assembled at VW’s huge plant in Puebla, Mexico. Knowing quality issues from Mexico plants would turn me off this vehicle.
It makes it even harder to justify the price.
None of the listed competitors are built in Mexico

Acura ILX Dynamic = Greensburg, Indiana, United States
Honda Civic Sedan Si = Canada HCM
Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart =     Japan: Kurashiki, Okayama
Subaru WRX Sedan =     Japan: Ōta, Gunma

Have to agree with greengs. Listed competitors based solely on $$ I guess.

That's outdated thinking.  The VW plant in Mexico is state of the art.  I had a Golf wagon from there for 4 years with no issues whatsoever.  The only trips to the dealer were for sheduled service.  Can't say that about any of the Camrys or Mazdas I've had in the past that were made in Japan or the USA.   Now have a Passat that was was assembled in the USA.  It too has had no issues other than regularly sheduled service.  Quality and reliability have little to do with where a plant is located.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 01:49:15 pm »
FYI -- the tester Golf I have in the driveway right now, powered by a 1.8TSI with manual transmission, in mid-trim with some options, is over $31,000.

My jaw dropped.

Is that after taxes? I'm assuming that this is the 5-door, and by mid-trim you mean Comfortline which starts at $22,895. Which means a lot of options if that $31k is pre tax!

Of course, the top-of-the-line Highline starts at $28,495 and if you want it with TDI, DSG, and multimedia it'll be $34,590. Before freight/taxes/etc!

It's impossible to price a Comfortline 1.8 manual to over $30k before tax so I assume that's after taxes.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 08:06:10 pm »
This is a GTI with a trunk, I didn't hear all the complaining about the GTI pricing!

I think when this version of the Jetta was introduced a few years ago, it got lots of criticism for its cheap-looking interior and obvious cost-cutting to make it a price leader in the category. While VW has fixed some of those areas, the image still persists in people's minds. Certainly I look at that dash and think "don't want it" because of that image.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
Test Drive: 2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition 30
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 08:41:50 pm »

My jaw dropped.

It's impossible to price a Comfortline 1.8 manual to over $30k before tax so I assume that's after taxes.

Yes, taxes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 10:23:26 pm »
Mark,

All Jettas now have the fancy rear suspension, even the 15k$ ones with the 2.slow. It was phased-in for 2014.

As for Mexican assembly, long-run plants like VW's and Nissan's have no real issue anymore (my Sentra still looks new), but I'd be worried big time with new plants / new suppliers partnerships (re: Honda Fit, Mazda3).
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 10:22:39 pm »
This model VW is a leftover from the old expansionist policy of VW when they asked premium price for ...nothing. Obviously GLI isn't covered with the ordinary Jetta price reducing wave...But if VW can do something this is offering cars making its own market niche! Only "German engineering" fans could buy them.
I would say the same about Acura. But yeah, for each its own.
Bombastic

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 01:17:54 am »
This car does not have the MQB platform of the new Golf. It's an old North America only pastiche, just as the Passat has its own North America only platform.

This Jetta does not have the GTI's and A3's new EA288 258 lb-ft torque graphite cast iron thinwall casting engine. It's last year's.

It's sadly way overpriced for what you get, but the VW believers still come running.

Having driven a new GTI 6MT which was blah and preferring the A3 AWD, I then tried a a GTI with DSG and leather that cost $38K and it still felt like a lightweight econobox to me.

Last week, I drove a base STI for the same price. No sunroof, boo hoo, but my bald pate sunburns anyway. No leather "seating surfaces" just Alcantara. No hesitation from stop as the automatic clutch in the DSG engages. No nav, but also no screen down below the steering wheel by my knee to refocus on. A proper lidded cup holder though.

And finally, with that STI, I found a car with character, a bulldog with grunt that entertained me. Yes, it's going to cost in gas, but I don't commute anymore. Roll on Spring, I'm ordering this winter to get a 2016.

VW I really don't have a whole lot of time for, and Jettas the least of the tribe.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2014, 10:30:10 am »
This car does not have the MQB platform of the new Golf. It's an old North America only pastiche, just as the Passat has its own North America only platform.

This Jetta does not have the GTI's and A3's new EA288 258 lb-ft torque graphite cast iron thinwall casting engine. It's last year's.

It's sadly way overpriced for what you get, but the VW believers still come running.

Having driven a new GTI 6MT which was blah and preferring the A3 AWD, I then tried a a GTI with DSG and leather that cost $38K and it still felt like a lightweight econobox to me.

Last week, I drove a base STI for the same price. No sunroof, boo hoo, but my bald pate sunburns anyway. No leather "seating surfaces" just Alcantara. No hesitation from stop as the automatic clutch in the DSG engages. No nav, but also no screen down below the steering wheel by my knee to refocus on. A proper lidded cup holder though.

And finally, with that STI, I found a car with character, a bulldog with grunt that entertained me. Yes, it's going to cost in gas, but I don't commute anymore. Roll on Spring, I'm ordering this winter to get a 2016.

VW I really don't have a whole lot of time for, and Jettas the least of the tribe.

Isn't it great to have options like that.  STI is a really fun car.  I've owned one and I've owned a DSG GTI.  They are completely different cars in my opinion.  That 38k is a base STI price with no freight/pdi or anything else.  A 5 dr GTI with DSG and leather is just over 35,000 apples to apples base prices, so they are about 10% different price. 

The only thing that would worry me about the STI is the engine.  It makes the STI less reliable than GTI which is bad.  If I bought a new one today there is no way I would touch it in any way mod wise as I'd want the warranty in tact.  If you visit nasioc you'll see the engine carnage threads all over.  They really need a new motor in that car.