Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Honda CR-V  (Read 16238 times)

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
Re: First Drive: 2015 Honda CR-V
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 11:32:27 am »
Most (if not all) manufacturers list a tolerance for oil consumption in the operators manual.  I would guess that 1L every 5k kms would be within Subaru's tolerance.

My 1985 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (2.3T) used a litre of oil every 800 km(!). Ford insisted this was "normal" for this engine
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
First Drive: 2015 Honda CR-V
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2014, 01:59:56 pm »
A liter per 5000km is nothing to be concerned about. A liter per 1000km is worrisome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: First Drive: 2015 Honda CR-V
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2014, 02:09:24 pm »
Most (if not all) manufacturers list a tolerance for oil consumption in the operators manual.  I would guess that 1L every 5k kms would be within Subaru's tolerance.

My 1985 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (2.3T) used a litre of oil every 800 km(!). Ford insisted this was "normal" for this engine
That's because it was a 2 stroke.  ;)

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 09:17:24 am »
NoTo,  I guess that you are among the lucky Subaru drivers who have no problem! Good for you!

He's what known as a "piston slappie" when it comes to Subarus...  ;D
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 10:38:00 am »
He's what known as a "piston slappie" when it comes to Subarus...
Subaru can do no wrong.  All hail King Subaru.

I have no idea what your comment is referring to, Olds ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2014, 11:39:20 am »
Find it odd that Honda with the new 2015 changes incurred would not address a weak point of the CRV the minimal AWD system and add something like their SH-AWD system to a revised model.
I don't find it odd.  It's not a 'minimal' AWD system, it's just geared towards keeping the car straight and maybe a little nudge to get the car going from a stop.  The SH-AWD system is expensive, complex, and uses a ton more fuel (relatively speaking) and that's why it was removed from the Acura RDX in the last redesign in favour of a more simple AWD system.  The CRV is about economy in every sense of the word.  It will never get SH-AWD.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2014, 11:45:38 am »
Find it odd that Honda with the new 2015 changes incurred would not address a weak point of the CRV the minimal AWD system and add something like their SH-AWD system to a revised model.
I don't find it odd.  It's not a 'minimal' AWD system, it's just geared towards keeping the car straight and maybe a little nudge to get the car going from a stop.  The SH-AWD system is expensive, complex, and uses a ton more fuel (relatively speaking) and that's why it was removed from the Acura RDX in the last redesign in favour of a more simple AWD system.  The CRV is about economy in every sense of the word.  It will never get SH-AWD.

Its a craptastic system, even by slip and grip standards.....Subaru has awesome awd and its not like the Forester uses twice the fuel of the CR-V. Maybe a MH-AWD, Mediocre Handling-AWD??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2014, 01:29:02 pm »

Honda is lagging on this product line. Maybe 4WD (VTM-4) or similar. The SH-AWD is not exactly a new system announced in 04 and showed on the 2005 model year Acura RL and is due for a trickle down. SH-AWD may use marginally more fuel but I think it's about maximizing cost for Honda rather than fuel economy. Either way it's appears to be such an inferior product vs symmetrical AWD that it's a deal breaker for me a current Subaru driver.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2014, 01:35:19 pm »
Maybe a MH-AWD, Mediocre Handling-AWD??
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: First Drive: 2015 Honda CR-V
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2014, 02:10:15 pm »
Maybe a MH-AWD, Mediocre Handling-AWD??
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
My vote goes for WH-AWD?

What's Handling All Wheel Drive?

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2014, 07:56:14 pm »

Its a craptastic system, even by slip and grip standards.....Subaru has awesome awd and its not like the Forester uses twice the fuel of the CR-V. Maybe a MH-AWD, Mediocre Handling-AWD??

Indeed LOL. That crappy AWD and awful roadnoise have written off the CRV from any wish list. I wonder if Honda ever improved it since the very 1st generation. I had a bit of experience with that one and boy it was bad. But Honda was a Pioneer back then with the CRV so it was more acceptable.

Honda should buy the Magna AWD system instead of using their subpar system; Kia does and their system is way superior to Honda's.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2014, 01:08:28 pm »
Again, CRV = 'runabout' vehicle.  The intention is to be vanilla, check all boxes (not to be perfect, but at least fit all categories), and to be cheap to buy/operate.

Cheapest AWD system, least invasive, and uses as little gas as possible.  Honda will never switch the AWD system.  Toyota did in the Rav4 and nobody cared.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2114
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2014, 01:14:37 pm »
Again, CRV = 'runabout' vehicle.  The intention is to be vanilla, check all boxes (not to be perfect, but at least fit all categories), and to be cheap to buy/operate.

Cheapest AWD system, least invasive, and uses as little gas as possible.  Honda will never switch the AWD system.  Toyota did in the Rav4 and nobody cared.

If they dont give it proper awd, why not put in a lock button so you can at least send power to all 4 wheels to get out of an icy situation?!?!?!? But I digress, this is not a vehicle I would ever consider and enough people are buying it that what would be Hondas incentive to make it better.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2014, 01:29:48 pm »
enough people are buying it that what would be Hondas incentive to make it better.
See, Toyota listened to all the badgering about how boring their vehicles are.  I think they made a huge mistake in their latest redesigns (except for the Corolla).  I think the Camry will alienate all those looking for the mundane, A to B commuter.  I think the Rav4 has alienate a lot of folks with its harsh/firm suspension.

It worked out very well for the Sienna, I think, and the Corolla is fancy with those LED daytime running lights, but complaints made by auto journalists mean very little when sales are proving them wrong.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2014, 02:53:33 pm »
enough people are buying it that what would be Hondas incentive to make it better.
See, Toyota listened to all the badgering about how boring their vehicles are.  I think they made a huge mistake in their latest redesigns (except for the Corolla).  I think the Camry will alienate all those looking for the mundane, A to B commuter.  I think the Rav4 has alienate a lot of folks with its harsh/firm suspension.

It worked out very well for the Sienna, I think, and the Corolla is fancy with those LED daytime running lights, but complaints made by auto journalists mean very little when sales are proving them wrong.

if the RAV4 did alienate customers, why has Toyota been able to pull a huge sales increase? 26% in the US and 9% in Canada...making it the 3rd best selling CUV in the US and 2nd best selling in Canada.....interesting huh?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2014, 02:59:30 pm »
...because, like my ex-gf's mother, "I had a camry, so I went out and bought another one.  I hate it, but now I'm stuck with it.

My point is more so that auto journalists said that the Rav4 was boring, so Toyota went overkill and made the monstrosity that is the new Rav4.  Now the journos say "too stiff, ugly, etc"

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2014, 03:02:52 pm »
...because, like my ex-gf's mother, "I had a camry, so I went out and bought another one.  I hate it, but now I'm stuck with it.

My point is more so that auto journalists said that the Rav4 was boring, so Toyota went overkill and made the monstrosity that is the new Rav4.  Now the journos say "too stiff, ugly, etc"

...and they sold 26% more, obviously hard to say these are repeat customers only however if you compare the increased sales and previous sales numbers I'd assume Toyota brought some new customers for sure.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2014, 04:05:10 pm »

...and they sold 26% more, obviously hard to say these are repeat customers only however if you compare the increased sales and previous sales numbers I'd assume Toyota brought some new customers for sure.
I don't know how many times I have to say this, but statistics are not always representative.

Did you consider what 26% is more than?  More than the previous period of what?  When people knew a new model was coming out and they held off?  At the end of a long life cycle when the previous Rav was not competitive?  When dealer stock was likely low?

I've also never seen Rav4s on rental fleet lots in the past, but now I see them at the Hertz near my house, in the Avis lot near my gym, and on the road with "Discount" stickers on the rear fender.  Sale numbers or percentages are really, really not determinative.  And yes, many will likely be the Toyota faithful who will buy the car even if it's clearly a Fiat 500 with a Toyota badge on it.