Author Topic: Long-Term Test Update 2: 2012 Toyota Prius C  (Read 7129 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
Re: Long-Term Test Update 2: 2012 Toyota Prius C
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 12:05:36 am »
:)    The Georgetown plant assembles the Camry, Venza and Avalon.  All three are built of the same platform.  The Hybrid parts are shipped in from Japan.  I think supply is going to be the deciding factor on when the Venza will receive the Hybrid guts.  Currently, the V6 is pretty hard on gas, but the vehicle has a future.  Very well received.

The current Camry and Venza are not on the "new" (huge, full size) Avalon platform.  They still use the old one...though most Toyotas use the K platform to some extent.

The new Avalon and new Lexus ES use the "new" platform.

Wonder if the Camry and Venza will go to the new Avalon platform eventually?  Steve?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 12:10:21 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 01:09:15 am »
The current Camry and Venza are not on the "new" (huge, full size) Avalon platform.  They still use the old one...though most Toyotas use the K platform to some extent.

I don't think much has change technically.  I think the soon to be released Avalon is still on the same platform as the 2013 Camry/Venza.  The previous model had a longer wheelbase and a section was simply welded in.  You see them coming all in a row.  A couple of Camrys, then a Venza and then an Avalon, and so on.

They all share the same V6, transmission, suspension parts depending on engine, brakes for sure - Camry/Avalon.  I think the "new Platform" is marketing speak.  You don't want ppl thinking your ES is a Camry and the Avalon a Camry.   

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 05:58:01 am »
Wot's a Toyota /Camry LOVE FEST..like..............lots of biege underwear...... >:D .....all torque and no action.............. :-*
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 06:17:37 am »
:)    The Georgetown plant assembles the Camry, Venza and Avalon.  All three are built of the same platform.  The Hybrid parts are shipped in from Japan.  I think supply is going to be the deciding factor on when the Venza will receive the Hybrid guts.  Currently, the V6 is pretty hard on gas, but the vehicle has a future.  Very well received.
That good to know, will be saving the 6% duty compared to getting an import hybrid

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 04:17:09 pm »
That good to know, will be saving the 6% duty compared to getting an import hybrid

That goes for the Highlander Hybrid as well.  Moved that from Japan into Indiana.

Eventually you're gonna see it available on most every model. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 04:18:14 pm »
Wot's a Toyota /Camry LOVE FEST..like..............lots of biege underwear...... >:D .....all torque and no action.............. :-*

:rofl2:

Free Safety Glasses

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 06:24:20 pm »
As far as I know all Camry, Venza and Avalon are made exclusively in KY.  The Mississippi plant makes the Corolla.  Hopefully they won't shift product from Canada.  If anything other moves to Mississippi it will be something out of the Prius line.  Indianna assembles the Sienna/Highlander.  Texas, the Tundra and Tacoma.
ahh...Corolla, that's right...i know the CAW is standing the line and not willing to budge on anything, so i wouldn't be surprised to see further production cuts as more and more business leaves Ontario...the Toyota plant isn't unionized, so it shouldn't affect anything here, but you can be sure if it gets unionized, massive amounts of production will just be moved around.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 06:31:11 pm »
As far as I know all Camry, Venza and Avalon are made exclusively in KY.  The Mississippi plant makes the Corolla.  Hopefully they won't shift product from Canada.  If anything other moves to Mississippi it will be something out of the Prius line.  Indianna assembles the Sienna/Highlander.  Texas, the Tundra and Tacoma.
ahh...Corolla, that's right...i know the CAW is standing the line and not willing to budge on anything, so i wouldn't be surprised to see further production cuts as more and more business leaves Ontario...the Toyota plant isn't unionized, so it shouldn't affect anything here, but you can be sure if it gets unionized, massive amounts of production will just be moved around.

Sounds like they've softened their approach.  From a recent handout:  http://www.cawlocal.ca/222/uploads/D2EED4B7D53F469BA6C8729E465A6986_AU_September_10_2012_final.pdf

“A week from the deadline, anxiety levels are understandably high and rising. The bargaining committees will do their best to keep members up to date on the status of negotiations. As September 17 approaches, it is increasingly important that members at all facilities, in all local unions support their bargaining committees. To reach a deal, it’s crucial that members continue having faith in their elected representatives and support their bargaining committees. As the landscape continues to shift, the bargaining committees will also strategically shift approaches with the goal of best protecting members’ interests.”

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 08:58:47 pm »
Sounds like they've softened their approach.  From a recent handout:  http://www.cawlocal.ca/222/uploads/D2EED4B7D53F469BA6C8729E465A6986_AU_September_10_2012_final.pdf

“A week from the deadline, anxiety levels are understandably high and rising. The bargaining committees will do their best to keep members up to date on the status of negotiations. As September 17 approaches, it is increasingly important that members at all facilities, in all local unions support their bargaining committees. To reach a deal, it’s crucial that members continue having faith in their elected representatives and support their bargaining committees. As the landscape continues to shift, the bargaining committees will also strategically shift approaches with the goal of best protecting members’ interests.”
interesting...but also printed on September 10th:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/caw-says-union-will-reject-detroit-threes-overzealous-cuts/article4532437/

"All three bargaining committees are determined to reject these demands,” the document said.

and in yesterday's paper, they are "gearing up for a strike".

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/09/11/57956/

the CAW has done a great job at putting its members out of work...SWO was once a hotbed for the auto industry...they don't realize that the companies were fed up, packed and moved down south...that business isn't coming back here, and won't ever come back, as long as the CAW is here.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2012, 11:19:12 pm »
Latest ......

CAW says Detroit 3 labor talks accelerate but with few results

Automotive News -- September 12, 2012 - 10:01 am ET

(Reuters) -- Less than a week before contracts between the Canadian Auto Workers union and the Detroit 3 automakers expire, the two sides are meeting more frequently, but talks "have not yielded many results," the union said today.

"All three companies appear to be fixated not merely on cost containment, but on deep concessions that would have a lasting and severe impact on our members," the CAW said in a leaflet distributed to its members and the media.

Even so, the union, which represents some 20,000 workers at Fiat SpA's Chrysler, Ford Motor Co. and General Motors repeated that it is still hopeful of avoiding a strike by reaching a new agreement with at least one of the companies.

"Collectively though, we must be ready for any outcome," the union said.

The CAW warned last week that it could launch a strike simultaneously at all three companies if there is no agreement before all of the contracts expire at 11:59 p.m. ET on Sept. 17.

Such a "triple strike" would be unprecedented in Canada's auto sector and would halt Detroit Three vehicle production in Canada, along with production of engines and transmission systems that are used in both Canadian and U.S. auto production plants.

The companies, who say Canada is now the most expensive place in the world to assemble cars, want to create a two-tier workforce, under which new employees are paid at a lower rate than existing employees, the union said earlier this week.

Among other demands, the companies also want changes to workers' pension plans and the permanent elimination of cost-of-living adjustments, the union has said.

The union argues that its members made major concessions in their last contracts, when the industry was reeling from recession, and that they now deserve to share in the industry's turnaround.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 07:13:13 pm »
if the CAW wants to be relevant, they need to follow the lead the UAW took...sustainable pensions/benefit changes and wage freezes in exchange for profit sharing (cost control)...the CAWs refusal to keep its workforce competitive will only continue to erode the auto business in this area...it is only a matter of time...give it a few more years and the remaining plants will be closed, only to move business down south to areas like Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi and the Carolinas...i'm honestly surprised many of those plants are still here and didn't pack up and leave long ago.

Northernridge

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 07:36:14 pm »
Just in case this thread is still about the Prius C, I drove up from behind and along side one today and thought it looked pretty decent. Was surprised as I'm not predisposed to like hybrids nor Toyota.

Offline kenm

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2012, 08:48:58 pm »
I checked one out at my local Toyota dealer this week. They actually had a base model on the lot, for the base model price. It looks part Yaris, part Matrix, and part Prius. The silver seat inserts are butt ugly and the base of the back seat seems long. The rear door and hatch openings are a decent size.
"I paid my four bits to see the high-diving act and I'm a-gonna see the high-diving act. "  Yosemite Sam