Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Toyota Yaris, 2006-2011  (Read 8090 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Toyota Yaris, 2006-2011
« on: February 02, 2012, 03:05:18 am »

A few problems have shown up in Yaris forums, but Consumer Reports rates the Yaris 'much better than average."

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Toyota Yaris, 2006-2011
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:02:44 am »
Despite the fact the Koreans have made huge gains and easily surpassed the Japanese in terms of value and sex appeal, the Yaris is still a very decent package.

A word about oil consumption.  My Echo loses zero (0) oil between full synthetic oil changes at 15,000 km intervals.  Nothing - not a hair lower on the stick.  No car I've had in the past has come anywhere close to this.

The first couple of times I checked it I thought they must have over filled it at the change but nope, it just doesn't lose oil.

I don't even check the oil anymore.  Not a good habit - maybe I'll run out and do it this morning!

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:30:38 am »
Despite the fact the Koreans have made huge gains and easily surpassed the Japanese in terms of value and sex appeal, the Yaris is still a very decent package.

A word about oil consumption.  My Echo loses zero (0) oil between full synthetic oil changes at 15,000 km intervals.  Nothing - not a hair lower on the stick.  No car I've had in the past has come anywhere close to this.

The first couple of times I checked it I thought they must have over filled it at the change but nope, it just doesn't lose oil.

I don't even check the oil anymore.  Not a good habit - maybe I'll run out and do it this morning!

Cheers,
John M.

Ditto for my Echo.....other than a emissions control problem when  first bought (used), it has been rock solid.
I have thought to upgrade to Yaris but, safety wise, only improvement to be had is ABS (sedan did not come standard with...hatch did). I believe many Yarises did not come with side airbags until final yrs...pitty (or is it pitiful?).    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:00:30 am »
Yaris is probably the most reliable small car. And this is all. Even their comersial stops here! The fact Toyota move the dash on its traditional place in the current gen shows they listen to the public! If they now change the tranny and equip it a la Kia Rio or correct the price, Yaris probably will stay competitive. Otherwise Yaris slowly becames a lovely dinosaur.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:06:41 am »
Yaris is probably the most reliable small car. And this is all. Even their comersial stops here! The fact Toyota move the dash on its traditional place in the current gen shows they listen to the public! If they now change the tranny and equip it a la Kia Rio or correct the price, Yaris probably will stay competitive. Otherwise Yaris slowly becames a lovely dinosaur.

:laugh: :iagree:  Right on the $$$$$.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 11:23:53 am »
You had me until you got to the high lilelihood of skull fracture, brain damage and internal organ injury.

Isn't that the case in most every vehicle tested without side airbags? It certainly isn't unique to the Yaris, and they do have a model WITH side airbags...a non-issue for those concerned about it.

Offline Gwido

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 01:58:25 pm »
Yes, of course, models with side air bags help address the issue.  I think, though, that side impact testing is done with weights specific to each class of car rather than a standard weight. If I understand this correctly, a good rating for a small car does not therefore signify the same crashworthiness as the same rating on a large car. Anyone know if this is correct?

I read something similar before. I did a little bit of research and it appears that it's the case only for frontal crash tests. Side-impact crash testing ratings can be compared accross car classes.

NHTSA uses a 3,015 pound deformable barrier moving at 38.5 mph and average-size male dummies.
IIHS uses a 3,300 pound deformable barrier in the shape of the front end of an SUV traveling at 31 mph
In the IIHS's test, a 3,300-pound SUV-like barrier hits the driver side of the vehicle at 31 mph. Two SID-II dummies representing small (5th percentile) women or 12-year-old children are positioned in the driver seat and the rear seat behind the driver.

sources:
http://autos.aol.com/buying-guide/Safety/understand-crash-test-scores/
http://www.iihs.org/ratings/side_test_info.html
http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/what-crash-test-scores-mean.html

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 02:15:27 pm »
Yes, of course, models with side air bags help address the issue.  I think, though, that side impact testing is done with weights specific to each class of car rather than a standard weight. If I understand this correctly, a good rating for a small car does not therefore signify the same crashworthiness as the same rating on a large car. Anyone know if this is correct?

I can't comment technically, but at least in a frontal impact the more deformable material in front of the driver means a reduction in crash severity to the passengers. A modern car that is involved in an accident at a good speed may look as though it was demolished, when in fact that crushing is by design to save the passengers from the traumatic forces of impact. A Yaris doesn't really have a hood so I don't think it will be a victor in a head-on collision, but it is smaller, lighter and nimbler so it would be at an advantage in other situations. I think overall it is a safe enough little car, safer than many of the other older vehicles on our roads.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 05:26:02 pm »
We have 2 Yaris in the fleet and they are rock solid no probs. My Echo is the same. Bullet proof. Can't be beat. Toyota knows how to make a reliable car which, IMO domestics manufacturers can only dream about...You can't beat a Toyota. They may bore you. But they don't break.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 05:31:00 pm »
My Echo was bullet proof and cheaper than dirt to run.  Was sad to see it go!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 05:33:46 pm »
My daughter has a 2005 Echo hatchback, not a single problem with it since purchased new. She loves the little car and the excellent fuel economy it delivers.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +38/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 05:48:36 pm »
My Echo was bullet proof and cheaper than dirt to run.  Was sad to see it go!

Yes I really like mine. You should get another....I drive the Pruis for work and the Echo for pleasure and it's decent little car. It just does what it supposed to do. Be it on the highway or in the city, with no fuss...more buzz...LOL..... but it is sort of quirky.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 02:07:14 pm »
Since Echo and Yaris lovers appear to be gathering here let me pass on my tire experience. 

Getting a good small section (< 175) tire is not easy.  This fall I put Hankook Optimo 4Ss on the Echo to avoid going with full snows.  (good move this winter)

I had on Nokian WRs several years ago and they were excellent but soft.  The Hankooks have been a big surprise on the upside.  They are the best narrow section tire I've had in any season and tighten up the handling of the Echo considerably over the Michelin Destinys.  They are also quieter despite their big sipes. 

Rain is no problem and neither is the snow - what few occasions there have been. 

Note that I don't push the car so these are not comments about limits but so far, these tires have suited the car very well.

Cheers,
John M.