Author Topic: Auto Tech: Buying used - a painful experience  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Buying used - a painful experience
« on: May 05, 2010, 04:02:04 am »
Helping his son shop for his first used car turned out to be a more painful experience than expected, says Technical Editor, Jim Kerr.  Finding a good used car at a reasonable price proved to be difficult and time-consuming.
Read More...

JeffyBoy

Re: Auto Tech: Buying used - a painful experience
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:27:15 am »
snooze and you loose.

Not to be nit-picky (wait a minute, this is TOTALLY being nit-picky  ::)...), but I'm pretty sure you meant "snooze and you lose".

Lose (rhymes with "booze") is the verb "to miss from one's possession".

Loose (rhymes with "goose") is the adjective "not rigidly fastened or securely attached".

You're welcome.

(I'm totally having a Sheldon moment, here.  Methinks I've been watching too much Big Bang Theory...  ;))

canuckystan

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 11:35:21 am »
If your dad is a mechanic then a Volvo is a good choice.  But if not, it should be the last choice for a new driver -- repairs and parts are very expensive on AWD Volvos (we're not talking about the old 240's here).

JoBlo

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 01:18:11 pm »
One thing for sure your son will be a very good mechanic.  Hope he has a good job to pay for pricey parts.
I think the best choice is a simple car easy to repair with easily and cheap available replacement parts.
Sometime we have to learn the hard way.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 03:45:11 am »
know what you mean , shopping for a used car for your son ,went through it with my daughter,
5 yrs ago and settled on a honda civic si ( 98 before they changed they suspension )

i've always thought that volvos were near the bottom of the reliability lists if so , you being a mechanic wondered why you chose it

aknutson

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 12:40:24 pm »
know what you mean , shopping for a used car for your son ,went through it with my daughter,
5 yrs ago and settled on a honda civic si ( 98 before they changed they suspension )

i've always thought that volvos were near the bottom of the reliability lists if so , you being a mechanic wondered why you chose it

Contrary to popular belief, Volvo's, as well as many other European brands, are extremely well-built vehicles that hold up over long periods of time. I know several of our sales team swear by Volvo's, many of them putting on 50-75K Km's per year. Their past Vovlo's have lasted them upwards of 400 and 500,000 Kms, with regular maintenance of course.

Also, when you're buying a used car, it's not so much about what make/model you're buying but how it has been treated - especially if you're looking for a very low-cost car. Even if it is an infamously problematic car like an older Jetta, you may be better off with a well-maintained VW than a beaten up Toyota or Honda. Trust me, I've been there. Bought an '89 Camry once, it had about 5 owners and the door paint didn't match, to say the least it didn't hold up the chalice of perfect reliability commonly referred to when discussing used Toyota's.