Author Topic: Hydroelectric Power Contributes to Climate Change  (Read 2027 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7199
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Hydroelectric Power Contributes to Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 06:13:52 pm »
The methane and CO2 produced are "current account" carbon sources, ie, carbon that was in plants that are decomposing. It's not ideal but it's relatively neutral as far as heat effects.

It's similar with cow farts. They eat grass, metabolize it, releasing gas as a by-product, which eventually is taken up by vegetation and re-sequestered.

Anthropomorphic warming is due to digging up and burning geologically sequestered sources of carbon like coal, oil and natural gas. By doing so we're injecting millions of years worth of sequestered carbon annually. Natural systems can't process it fast enough, so the atmospheric CO2 level has been increasing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:15:30 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 11:49:10 am »
The issue with cattle is that we're razing massive amounts of forest to produce beef.

But, yes, carbon from fossil fuels is the real issue and pointing out other sources of carbon emissions doesn't solve the problem.  I'm no fan of hydro power (though I've seen it used amazingly well in micro solutions) but compared to coal, etc, it's much better.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 05:31:33 pm »
I take it you are NOT a coal miners daughter............ :shuffle:  but are buried deeply mining  the concern for Unicorns.

Why don't we kill all these Anthromorphs causing the problems..arouse the ZOMBIE climate wallahs  calling Dr Mann from Penn State................ ???
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 03:41:59 pm »
http://www.davidsuzuki.org/blogs/climate-blog/2016/11/ontario-quebec-electricity-deal-a-breakthrough-for-renewables-expansion/

Ontario buying hydro power cheaper than Nuclear power, and trading for excess renewable generation.  win win.